Become a Patron!

Is this cell phone charger safe for istick?

angus67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I've got a old charger for a old cell phone with the mini usb, and I would like to use it, instead of the usb cable one that came with my istick. Ide like to use it for the pass thru when sitting on the couch, instead of at my computer.
The output is 800 Mah, and plugs into wall(110 volt ac)
Is this safe enuf? will it work? made by Kyocera.
thanks.

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have been using my Motorola cell phone charger, both 110v house and 12v car, charger for my iStick without any problems.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As long as the charger output mAh and Volt doesn't exceed the battery input, it should be fine.

Hermit

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
800mA isn't enough, istick wants a 1A supply.

Hermit

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well I've got an HTC one that works fine too... but then it is marked as 1A, so it won't overheat and burn my house down :)

angus67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
meh...whats a couple milliamps between friends? Its prolly good enuf couch side.
noted, hermit. Sounds like it will be slow to charge.
thanks guys.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A little under power supply is ok, a little over is not ok.
I agree with nightshard.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
As long as you stick at or under 1 amp, you are fine.

Hermit

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Errr...
Voltage should match exactly.
Current rating of the supply should be same or greater than what the device wants to pull. It's a capacity - it doesn't mean you have to use it all.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
True for a desk top power supply like below that has a tank of 30 amps and will flow whats needed up to that point. You actually only want to have a set up that at max could use 80% of your power supply so you're not at the ceiling.
T-30PS-220.jpg

But these cell phone charger deals push out a certain amount and that could be more than what your device wants to take. A little won't kill it but some of the newer cell phone chargers put out a lot of power and charge phones twice as fast.

Some dude in Australia I think it was blew half of his calf off because he didn't use the right charger with a vv device charging cord. Some other dude burnt up his house and all the Christmas presents with it. Certainly not saying that would happen with a small variance like you are talking about but that did happen.

Hermit

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
True for a desk top power supply like below that has a tank of 30 amps and will flow whats needed up to that point. You actually only want to have a set up that at max could use 80% of your power supply so you're not at the ceiling.

But these cell phone charger deals push out a certain amount and that could be more than what your device want to take. A little won't kill it but some of the newer cell phone chargers put out a lot of power and charge phones twice as fast.

WTF? No!!!

Current isn't 'pushed out' of these supplies.

Simple as that.

Voltage is set, and the current varies according to the demand, up to the abitlity of the supply.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe it is voltage, not amps. I have always read about the phone chargers and the like to check and make sure they don't exceed your device's requirements. Not what i know of in power supplies that you always want more than needed. And just because it says 30a, doesn't mean it will always put out 30a. Voltage though is voltage. That you set it to a value if its adjustable or the value is just what it is if it's not adjustable. Too much voltage is not a good thing.

Hermit

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
OK, one source of confusion is that cell phone 'chargers' are not chargers - they're just power supplies. The charging circuit is built onto the phone (or istick, etc), and simply needs the correct voltage supply with enough current capability. Power supplies output a fixed voltage and have a maximum current rating.

Contrast that to an actual charger, which has to regulate current so as not to overload the battery. During the constant current phase, it tries to output a fixed current. It does that by varying the voltage, setting it a little above the charge in the battery.

So...

A charger that puts out less current than the maximum the battery can take, will usually just take longer to charge it. No problem.

A power supply that can't put out as much current as the device (charger) wants, will be stressed. It will probably get warm/hot, have reduced voltage output, and possibly melt/burn. Or shut down completely (if it's a good one, but few are). The battery being charged may or may not reach full charge (depending on lots of factors), but is unlikely to be damaged.

angus67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
as long as the "charger" keeps up with my use while watching tv, im happy.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK, one source of confusion is that cell phone 'chargers' are not chargers - they're just power supplies. The charging circuit is built onto the phone (or istick, etc), and simply needs the correct voltage supply with enough current capability. Power supplies output a fixed voltage and have a maximum current rating.

Contrast that to an actual charger, which has to regulate current so as not to overload the battery. During the constant current phase, it tries to output a fixed current. It does that by varying the voltage, setting it a little above the charge in the battery.

So...

A charger that puts out less current than the maximum the battery can take, will usually just take longer to charge it. No problem.

A power supply that can't put out as much current as the device (charger) wants, will be stressed. It will probably get warm/hot, have reduced voltage output, and possibly melt/burn. Or shut down completely (if it's a good one, but few are). The battery being charged may or may not reach full charge (depending on lots of factors), but is unlikely to be damaged.
Thats like mine does, takes just a little longer, I only use it in my car if the bat runs out

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well I've got an HTC one that works fine too... but then it is marked as 1A, so it won't overheat and burn my house down :)
The battery will not pull more than the charger is capable of putting out... It'll just charge a little slower.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
A little under power supply is ok, a little over is not ok.
I agree with nightshard.
Same thing... but reversed - The charger will not put in more than than the on-board charging board wants. You could use a 5amp charger and the iStick will still only pull its max of 1amp.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

So...

Agreed... If the charger (power supply / wall wart) is a crappy $2 Chinese one, and too small, it very well could go into melt down.. Of course, thats not likely to happen with-in 500 milliamps or so, but it can. Usually though, it just charges more slowly..

Hermit

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thats like mine does, takes just a little longer, I only use it in my car if the bat runs out

With your isticks? Whatever you plug into them comes under 'power supply', as far as my descriptions go.

Hermit

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The battery will not pull more than the charger is capable of putting out... It'll just charge a little slower.

Yes, but that doesn't match what you quoted!

The HTC 'charger' is just a power supply, and has to cope with whatever the istick wants to pull.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yes, but that doesn't match what you quoted!

The HTC 'charger' is just a power supply, and has to cope with whatever the istick wants to pull.
Ya ya ya .. you know that, I know that, but everybody says 'charger' so thats the word I use :p

Hermit

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ya ya ya .. you know that, I know that, but everybody says 'charger' so thats the word I use :p

Well in that case, what you said is wrong, 'cos there's a (real) charger between it and the battery :p

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well in that case, what you said is wrong, 'cos there's a (real) charger between it and the battery :p

Please see my other reply..

Same thing... but reversed - The charger will not put in more than than the on-board charging board wants. You could use a 5amp charger and the iStick will still only pull its max of 1amp.

Hermit

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Please see my other reply..

Bottom line is that charging an istick from a wall wart or whatever that has less than a 1A rating exceeds the wall wart's spec. The istick will still try to pull 1A.

angus67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
so I did use it watching the seahawks clown gb, and it worked fine. when I was done, the plug in(not wall wart) wasn't even warm, and charged my I stick as I was using it. So there you have it. Thanks for the ride.

galsvapetoo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
well if it makes you feel any better I use all different chargers on my eleaf istick and while I do pass thru vape. I use a blue charger I bought from the vape store. I use a plug in phone charger. I use a verizon phone car charger while in the car. And I have another cord that plugs into the computer at work. I don't pass thru vape on the one at work though. But I haven't had a problem

Last edited:

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just checked all 8 of my charge cords which include car cords as well, all 8 are 1A's, so it seems this is an over all general used charging cord for cell phones and other devices

27d66285-8d38-4888-bf9e-829b27356370_zps1aff9c49.jpg

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Standard USB on one end and reg outlet male on the other

35fe819a-e5a5-4bbb-bbb8-72d8c52e941b_zps80e806e7.jpg

This one I picked up at staples

Last edited:

VapeMan12

Member For 4 Years
Oh, yeah that's right its USB on plug in one end, why not just use a Cell phone charger? most smart phones now come with the adapter that plugs into the wall then the usb part plugs into the adapter

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
the original posts what is in question.
Use it.. I'm using a Samsung 750mah charger (power supply ;)) for my wifes iStick.. noooo problems whatsoever.

I have a question, pls help me

Can I use my Samsung traveling adopter to my vape pen,

My charger input is 100-240vac
50-60 ha, 0.15A

Out put :5.0v - 1.0A

My vape pen capacity is 900 mah
110-120v
50Hz

Pls help

Waltheraustin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years