jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Welcome to VU dude. Those coils look sketchy as hell. While they might not be dangerous to use, they will likely yield a pretty crummy vape seeing as to how uneven they are and everything.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
This coil; is NOT crummy. In that way....
a06d0f69691add22b354c31d12dc9628.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
https://i.imgur.com/TNpFOHI.jpg
Just wondering if its safe for use, friend said its unsafe? inside its ni80 and around its kanthal, thank you!

A few questions:

Where did you get this thing in the photo from?

What type of wire is it?

What gauges are the wires?

Answer these and we can go from there.

A few questions:

Where did you get this thing in the photo from?

What type of wire is it?

What gauges are the wires?

Answer these and we can go from there.
inside one is 2x ni80 30+38ga from vandy vape, around is 28 ga Kanthal A1 and 2nd one with more loose kanthal is 3x ni80

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
If it were me and that was the wires I had to work with I'd probably just twist 3 of the pieces of 28ga kanthal together.

I'm not saying that the coil you made wouldn't work but it will have hot spots all over the place since it's uneven and you will not get a good vape with it.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Vandyvape produced that? Can we see the spool as well see if the wraps are like in your photo?

Thought this was your first go at coil building or something which is fine to say...no one will have a dig for having a go because we all start somewhere

the wire will heat up however you’ll have lots of hotspots to work out and in all likelihood some of the wrap will always heat more in some places than others due to uneven nature of them

If you are wrapping yourself try to keep the lead at 90 degrees the whole time ...focus on tension (which looks like there wasn’t enough) and that angle ....let it wind itself as It goes and it’ll jump on there fine for you

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Ahhh ok core wire is Vandyvape that’s ok

Hit our coil building section ...there’s a sticky with contents page filled with how to’s plenty of helpful folks willing to give some tips for you if you are looking to build Aegis

http://vapingunderground.com/thread...ld-from-beginner-to-advanced-and-more.413083/

keep this photo as a momento it’s nice to go back and see progress one day :cheers:

My first ever go at Fused claptons ...shocking spacing and in all honesty not all that good a vape

8240B3D1-BB35-436E-8A9A-2623E48A68BB.jpeg

Kind of claptons I’ll build now in my sleep ...then theres the other build you’ll get to as well, join us in the show us your builds thread you’ll be welcome with the builders

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/post-your-builds.737/page-441#post-2265412

13C94FF6-F3EC-43BA-82A7-F99AC132344E.jpeg

It’ll become far easier for you with practice ...keep at it mate :)

Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
https://i.imgur.com/J4v8FMc.jpg yup, vandy vape, the kanthal outside is not from vandy though, and yes, those are my first two attempts xD

This is only your second shot then I'd say keep at it.

You'll get it down but it may take more time (and wire)

I'd be willing to bet that some of our resident coil guys have wasted thousands of feet of wire perfecting their building process.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
This is only your second shot then I'd say keep at it.

You'll get it down but it may take more time (and wire)

I'd be willing to bet that some of our resident coil guys have wasted thousands of feet of wire perfecting their building process.
I have literally wasted miles of wire...miles

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
There is this spot toward the center of the one on the right that looks OK.
If you can get the whole wire to look like that then you'd be on to something.

upload_2018-9-16_18-41-54.png

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I have literally wasted miles of wire...miles

I was going to say miles but I was afraid I was exaggerating a little. :giggle:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Are you sure it's wrapped in kanthal? It looks like copper

Was thinking that too ...could be lighting and camera ...if it is copper don’t be using that to vape on aegis

Jewellery makers use Copper because it’s soft for doing bits by hand but not to be used for vaping wire

Similar skill set needed though :)

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I see, crummy in what way though? :eek:

Every way dude. It literally looks like Stevie Wonder made that. You use something like that on an electric fence or for bailing hay. Not for vaping. I'm sure you made it and all but dude, that is a mess. You will have weird uneven heating, it has so much wire it may stress your batteries and cause them to fail trying to heat it, the list goes on. Keep practicing, there is an active coil building section on here full of people willing to help.

nobody starts out making awesome coils. You will waste wire and curse everything until you get it down.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
And to add to the previous, my first, second, third and forth attempts all look worse than yours by a sizable margin. I still cant make anything requiring more than one wire unless its a simple parallel coil.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Safe? Probably. A bit messy but you could vape on them. 2nd one you might be able to improve by putting it back in your drill and reversing it to loosen the coils, push them tighter together and reverse the drill again to tighten.

When learning to make coils remember KISS... Keep It Simple, Stupid. Start with a simple 1 strand basic plain old coil to learn how to get a nice tight even wrap.

Then try a simple clapton.. 1 strand core wire wrapped with 32ga wire. Now most will say use higher ga than 32, but when you are new, 32 means you can SEE your coils better, then use thinner wire as you get better.

I suggest starting with enough wire for 1 coil at a time, then you can do 2 or more as you get better.
Next you can do a parallel build using 2 strands of untwisted wire which leads to fused claptons.

and of course... you can always go with a Deadalus Coil Wrapping jig. Make sure it come with the drill that was made for the jig. (prevents your wire from jumping)
https://www.fasttech.com/p/9382300

Safe? Probably. A bit messy but you could vape on them. 2nd one you might be able to improve by putting it back in your drill and reversing it to loosen the coils, push them tighter together and reverse the drill again to tighten.

When learning to make coils remember KISS... Keep It Simple, Stupid. Start with a simple 1 strand basic plain old coil to learn how to get a nice tight even wrap.

Then try a simple clapton.. 1 strand core wire wrapped with 32ga wire. Now most will say use higher ga than 32, but when you are new, 32 means you can SEE your coils better, then use thinner wire as you get better.

I suggest starting with enough wire for 1 coil at a time, then you can do 2 or more as you get better.
Next you can do a parallel build using 2 strands of untwisted wire which leads to fused claptons.

and of course... you can always go with a Deadalus Coil Wrapping jig. Make sure it come with the drill that was made for the jig. (prevents your wire from jumping)
https://www.fasttech.com/p/9382300
Ita oki, I have 20 meters of each, but what I didnt notice is that the Vandy vape one is prebuilt and for RDA not for RTA and its 1.5-2 ohms so 2x the limit, im thinking about getting Vaporesso Luxe, no idea how good it is since its new

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
KATIES - WIN_20180925_150616.JPG KATIES - WIN_20180925_150635.JPG KATIES - WIN_20180925_150649.JPG KATIES - WIN_20180925_150657.JPG
Ita oki, I have 20 meters of each, but what I didnt notice is that the Vandy vape one is prebuilt and for RDA not for RTA and its 1.5-2 ohms so 2x the limit, im thinking about getting Vaporesso Luxe, no idea how good it is since its new
Ever considered an RDTA combo?

Last edited:

VU Sponsors