Become a Patron!

Is this good cotton?

add-kroger-cotton-balls
I have recently but myself a vape mod (tug boat) and every time I need to recoil I need to ask my friend do it. this time I want to do it myself, what kind should I use and are these Cotton balls OK to use?

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I can't see the pic :/ for some reason.

But unlike the unwashed masses. I consider cotton to be cotton. As long as it's 100% cotton.

There are variations between products, chemicals used in processing etc. But your equally safe with regular cotton balls, bleached and hypo-allergenic. Just soak a few in boiling water (cuz bleach). Remove, squeeze the water out. Allow it to dry.

No, it's not as neat as the 2x2 inch pad you pay 10x the cost of 10,000 wicks made from cotton balls. But it's just as safe. And if it's done properly, it wicks nicely also.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Koh Gen Do Cotton:

"Koh Gen Do Pure Cotton Pads are made from 100% cotton that hasn’t been chemically treated, bleached or pigmented and was raised without the use of chemical fertilizers or pesticides to ensure pure, safe quality"

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/koh-gen-do-pure-cotton-pads/3826848

Good stuff, good price.

Bet you didn't know. All my organically grown flowers, wilted and had a disgusting mold look on the stalks and leaves.

A local farmer had his fields dusted. Two miles from my house. That dusting, affected every plant within the entire community. Organic is subjective, unless it's grown in a closed environment.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
It's the nature of the beast. However, better than smoking for 40+ years, the last 10+ as a 3 pack a day smoker.
As long as you feel comfortable with the wicking material you use, that's as good as it gets.

Tepid

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
search for it and you will find it. I will only ever use Koh Gen Do, Muji, Organic Cotton. Never cotton balls or anything else.

tchthsky

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
add-kroger-cotton-balls
I have recently but myself a vape mod (tug boat) and every time I need to recoil I need to ask my friend do it. this time I want to do it myself, what kind should I use and are these Cotton balls OK to use?

Go to youtube and find Rip Trippers channel, or search youtube for a particular atty and include rip trippers with your query (or just simply input your atty and "build", e.g., "Tugboat build") and watch the tons of tutorials that are out there. You can then post specific questions in this forum. There are some great build tutorials out there and is how I got started. Just watch and learn ;)

Edit: If there are multiple tutorials on a single atty, watch them all - some will vary and some build off of other tutorials. I find Rip Trippers to be good quality in terms of commentary and video quality, but I'll explore other videos, as well.

tchthsky

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
and don't give up after the first couple of builds... get a ohm reader for coils (test before firing), use Steam Engine calculator, know the limitations of your mod (the specifications can usually be found on a vendor site and some retailers will post the specs) and don't exceed them and post your problems, here. Take pictures of your builds under good lighting, try and get your camera or phone as close as possible without losing focus, post your photos on Photobucket or some other freebie photo site, and then use the links to those images to post them here.

Tepid

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Cotton Balls are not a good alternative. They have a funky flavor, and they are beached and chem treated.
I would advise against it.

This includes the Sterile Cotton, it has a funky flavor.
Even Rayon has a funky flavor on most builds.
I was a Rayon person till I started building the Velocity and TFv4, and you can really tell the funk.
In a higher Ohm low voltage build, I would suggest trying Rayon, not cotton balls or other.

Personally, I would suggest stocking up on good Organic Cotton.
You will never regret it.

Build a bug out build kit. and always keep stock. You won't regret it later.

As for what was posted earlier about spraying crops far away and getting contaminated.
You will never know if this will ever happen. hopefully, they test their cotton for chems of any kind before calling Organic. but who knows.

Ask the people that have had cars drive through their living room if they ever expected that to happen. Damned of you do, damned if you don't.

Last edited:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've been using rayon for about a year now and have been really happy with how clean and immediate the flavors come through. I just recently got my hands on some Native Wicks. Still getting a feel for it, but the taste is really good, so far.

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been using rayon for about a year now and have been really happy with how clean and immediate the flavors come through. I just recently got my hands on some Native Wicks. Still getting a feel for it, but the taste is really good, so far.
I gotta try rayon one of these days. What do you recommend? I usually do 2-2.5 and 3mm coils.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've been using 2mm forever because I'm such a rookie, but I think I'm gonna try my hand at a 3mm soon. My boyfriend took my Lemo Drop, stopped using it, so I'm gonna reclaim it.

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been using 2mm forever because I'm such a rookie, but I think I'm gonna try my hand at a 3mm soon. My boyfriend took my Lemo Drop, stopped using it, so I'm gonna reclaim it.
Sorry, I meant where do you get your rayon and does it come in different sizes. Be gentle, I'm new at this.:)

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Never mind. I did the Google thing.;)

Tepid

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You can get Rayon at any beauty supply store for about 500ft for around $12. Last you a life time, and still give some away.

It is also known as Cellucotton.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I reloaded with Pima cotton (F5 brand) and decided it's the best cotton I've ever used by far. Makes flavor better and saturates for longer I can get 2 or 3 more rips before dripping than I normally would, which is huge for me considering I have to drip every few rips.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Mazam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just made the jump to Supima cotton this week after watching Riptrippers recent video on it. Didn't buy his recommended brand though (which is what i believe Martinelias is referring to above), as being the cheap fuck that I am i did some research and it really seems those guys are just selling you a little less with the fancy packaging markup.

Grabbed mine here: www.wick.supply/product/supima-cotton/

$8.04 for 8 oz shipped, which strikes me as being enough for quite a while. So far I'm pretty happy with it. Not really getting the WOW flavor increase he hyped up in the video, but it is a bit better (imo) and certainly has earned some durability points holding up against some of my more brutal-on-wicking DIY mixes that otherwise have me swapping out wicks on a daily basis.

Kinda almost mixes what i liked about rayon (durability/scorch resistance) with what i liked about Japanese/Cotton Bacon (taste/absorption). Yet to see any threads posted on it here, but it's definitely worth the try.

Last edited:
Go to the store cvs if you have that around you.

You can get cotton balls there that are great.

I get the cotton squares and just cut them into strips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, emilyh420 must have been hanging out with puffpuffpass and forgot about this thread lol.

Lots of good suggestions but being a girl I bet she has square pads for her makeup removal already and doesn't have to buy anything. I know when the KGD craze started I was thinking of getting some and what do ya know... my wife had a lifetime supply for me already ;)

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's another good Japanese cotton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VapinGeorgie420

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
cotton bacon is great.
Cotton bacon is my jam pretty much all I use. Get the best flavor out of my rdas and rtas. Organic Japanese cotton is good too.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Tepid

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok, so I had already ordered some of the Muji and I have it now.

This stuff is pure stark white,, and reminds me of CelluCotton. has all the same flavors as CelluCotton.
I am not liking this stuff personally. Thankfully it was cheap, will give it to the wife.
Once you have really tasted bad cotton, you will know it.

I have 2 bags of this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TCD51A?ref_=cm_sw_r_awd_1srgwbAPD6EDJ coming.
This looks more like Koh Gen Do, so I am hoping it is similar.

I do not recommend the Muji cotton pads.

Switched out for some Koh Gen Do I have on hand. The difference is night and day.

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Walgreens has a bag of organic cotton balls pretty cheap for with how long a single ball has lasted me should be a lifetime supply.

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have yet to see any of the vaping items discussed on VU whether it be organic cotton balls, vegetable glycerin, propylene glycol, etc at ANY of the DOZENS of Walgreen's, CVSs, Walmarts, Targets, or anywhere else in a 30 mile radius of me. I'm sure if I went to the Nordstrom's beauty counter they wouldn't have organic cotton there either.

Of all of the drug stores and other stores (that sell drugs) I've asked whether they have any of that stuff. I've always been told that they don't even sell any of it by managers who are usually looking at me funny, like I'm asking for bomb making ingredients by asking for organic cotton or vegetable glycerin.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have yet to see any of the vaping items discussed on VU whether it be organic cotton balls, vegetable glycerin, propylene glycol, etc at ANY of the DOZENS of Walgreen's, CVSs, Walmarts, Targets, or anywhere else in a 30 mile radius of me. I'm sure if I went to the Nordstrom's beauty counter they wouldn't have organic cotton there either.

Of all of the drug stores and other stores (that sell drugs) I've asked whether they have any of that stuff. I've always been told that they don't even sell any of it by managers who are usually looking at me funny, like I'm asking for bomb making ingredients by asking for organic cotton or vegetable glycerin.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

I don't know why you'd think anyone would look at you funny for asking for products they sell.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/studio-35-beauty-organic-cotton-balls/ID=prod6097939-product
In store product only

cotton balls.jpg

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I've seen the "in stores only" on CVS's and Walgreen's websites. I've also seen, on CVS's site in particular, that they had an item (vegetable glycerin USP) that showed IN STOCK at several stores around me. When I went to ALL of said stores (4 different stores) NONE of them had ANY and I was told by the store managers, as well as the pharmacists, that they DON'T sell vegetable glycerin.

I also browsed the beauty aisle, where all of the other cotton balls are, at ALL of the same places I've listed, having seen people post pics of organic cotton balls they've gotten from ALL of the same places, and I've yet to see anything but the standard and jumbo regular bleached white cotton balls.

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've seen the "in stores only" on CVS's and Walgreen's websites. I've also seen, on CVS's site in particular, that they had an item (vegetable glycerin USP) that showed IN STOCK at several stores around me. When I went to ALL of said stores (4 different stores) NONE of them had ANY and I was told by the store managers, as well as the pharmacists, that they DON'T sell vegetable glycerin.

I also browsed the beauty aisle, where all of the other cotton balls are, at ALL of the same places I've listed, having seen people post pics of organic cotton balls they've gotten from ALL of the same places, and I've yet to see anything but the standard and jumbo regular bleached white cotton balls.

When I asked for cotton balls the lady pointed me one place with a bunch, and then to these over there on an end display.
It's been a while but I think they also had the sheets in the organic section but I haven't been a big fan of the sheets I've got with tanks, I like the balls much better.

The only place I got VG from was Walmart. Haven't looked in Walgreens. I never used it to vape with, I order bigger bottles with flavorings.
I know the guy who used to own the closest store was always using the Walmart stuff.

Don't do it

VAPE ON

Too late.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How do you vape that stuff it has a weird weird flavor and after taste like something from the ass of an ape

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I asked for cotton balls the lady pointed me one place with a bunch, and then to these over there on an end display.
It's been a while but I think they also had the sheets in the organic section but I haven't been a big fan of the sheets I've got with tanks, I like the balls much better.

Too late.
Are you boiling this cottons?
Cuz if u are,OK!
If ur not RETURN EM GO TO WHOLE FOODS MARKET STORE

VAPE ON

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Like what comes with tanks? Yes, not a big fan.
I AGREE those coils SUCKS!!

What about dripping?
A lot of people here will tell you
GO JAPANESE, RDA/DRIPPERS

TANKS always mute flavors, it doesn't matter what cotton you use.

VAPE ON

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I AGREE those coils SUCKS!!

What about dripping?
A lot of people here will tell you
GO JAPANESE, RDA/DRIPPERS

TANKS always mute flavors, it doesn't matter what cotton you use.

Not the coils, the cotton. I hate that sheet.

I'm talking about feed rates not what the tank does. Not all tanks mute TFV4 is allowing me to use a flavor I could barely get away with using in a SS wicked gennie.

I'm not a fan of dripping/leaking all over the place. I thought TC was going to fix that and it did fix one problem but it still leaves the stupid tilt it wrong and it leaks design and the two handed fidgeting constantly. A TC squonker would be tempting
I'd rather have a tank that I fill once a day and never leaks or may need rinsed out every 3-5 tanks to keep from leaking.
I did my time with RN-4072s, you can keep the dripping and leaking.

VU Sponsors