Become a Patron!

is this tutorial legitimate

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I would think it is wire meant for vaping with the greatest possibility it being that same type as the original coil. Like Kanthal or SS316L.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
well i guess i never thought about it like that at least i asked first

Sure asking questions will help keep you vaping safely at least if you listen to the suggestions offered. But right now Honestly with what you have asked do what @Wtmke1 suggested and just buy coils. Once you have mastered using factory coils then you can graduate to making your own. Just my opinion mind you

Last edited:

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Didn't watch it, but has to be easier to build rebuildable, you can even build without coiling the wire using a premade. Both have learning curve and you can get rebuildable to replicate whatever vape you want.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The guy did a very good job rebuilding that but he knew what he was doing as far as what vape wire to use, how many wraps, target ohms and what wattage or voltage he would be using. He clearly showed it can be done with a well thought out plan.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I don't know how many feet is on a 2lbs spool but you can get 500' of SS316L for less.

Its a lot. Over 1K feet but why would you risk your safety on wire you may not know what all is in it? I am certain some welding wire can be used because of the gplat thing but realistically you have no real clue what it is you are getting in the wire composition and coatings and you may not know or be able to know what the resistance of the wire you are receiving should be or is until you have it and then you may have 2lbs of wire you cannot use.

I am of the opinion any savings by doing something like this is as equally risky as taking random wires out of things.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't miss the days of trying to fix coils or rewick dinky ego coils with silica thread type wick. Just not worth the trouble in my opinion, too many affordable rta's or rda's. I guess it may depend on where you're at and what availability is for wire and stuff. Most places can get even smaller spools of wire. If you're tight on money, even smaller spools of kbee or UD wire should work.

You can go on ebay and find 50ft of kanthal 24ga from lightning vapes for $4.50 and free shipping. Fasttech takes longer to ship but sells 10m (around 30ft) of 24ga kanthal for $1.73 and free shipping. Cotton is cheap. Or if you go with lightning vapes they sell combo packs on ebay, like 100ft of ss316L in 26ga along with a pouch of cotton bacon v2 for $6.19 shipped free.

Many affordable options around for rebuilding without harvesting mystery metal from household appliances and things like mad max. It would be enough to build simple functional coils and enough to last awhile, long enough to save up here and there for various sizes/types of wire if you were looking to get into building things like claptons, fused claptons etc. Once you find something you enjoy and have a bit more money saved up you could invest in larger bulk coils for greater savings over the long haul.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Its a lot. Over 1K feet but why would you risk your safety on wire you may not know what all is in it? I am certain some welding wire can be used because of the gplat thing but realistically you have no real clue what it is you are getting in the wire composition and coatings and you may not know or be able to know what the resistance of the wire you are receiving should be or is until you have it and then you may have 2lbs of wire you cannot use.

I am of the opinion any savings by doing something like this is as equally risky as taking random wires out of things.

I believe he was saying that 500' of 316L that we would use to vape is less expensive than a big spool of welding wire because he recommends getting that instead of welding wire. 500' is enough to last a very long time for a vaper. I may have misunderstood but pretty sure he is not recommending welding wire.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I believe he was saying that 500' of 316L that we would use to vape is less expensive than a big spool of welding wire because he recommends getting that instead of welding wire. 500' is enough to last a very long time for a vaper. I may have misunderstood but pretty sure he is not recommending welding wire.

Then I definitely misunderstood and stand corrected.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Then I definitely misunderstood and stand corrected.

I think you were right in the beginning. Why suggest MIG Welding Wire or do the research and conversion? What is the point of bringing it up when the OP was looking to use something incorrect to begin with?

VU Sponsors