Become a Patron!

Isopropyl bath?

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So I have a couple of mods that keep firing after you release the fire button. A Target Pro and a IPV 8. So I have held on to them. The Target Pro is my wife's favorite and was a gift from @debinnv. My girl likes it 1. It was a gift from Deb 2. It fits her hand perfect 3. Has a hood battery life for a single battery mod.
The IPV 8 is okay but it is my only yihi mod and it would be cool to use it when the mood strikes me.

So what is your isopropyl opinion? Does it work? How long should it dry before I try to use it (them)?
Please give me your opinions and suggestions. Peace and love
Rick

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I have an ipv 8. Damn bat door wont stay closed. Pisses me off cus i like the mod

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have cleaned electronic devices with 90% isopropyl...obviously remove batteries...I would not soak it , rather use a q-tip and paint it around the switch then work the button...repeat......then my trick is to use a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment to suck it dry...once your sure its dry you can test it, repeat as necessary...

Rooster Cogburn

Memento Mori
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I’d agree with AJ above ^^^ don’t soak it but use a q-tip and work around the button cleaning periodically, dry and test. I don’t know if those mods can be taken apart easily but that would be the best way to troubleshoot the button. Either way good luck to you

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
a few months ago, i did research on cleaning circuit boards. some people claiming to be electrical engineers (and they looked credible) that they just rinsed in distilled water and let dry.

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
a few months ago, i did research on cleaning circuit boards. some people claiming to be electrical engineers (and they looked credible) that they just rinsed in distilled water and let dry.
I ran a wave soldering machine for a while and we cleaned the boards in a solvent fog...the problem with water is that it can get onto places that you cant get it out of, not saying it cant be done just saying I would not chance it.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I saw someone soak a mod once in one of the challenges worked for them ...however wouldn’t risk it myself would do what the others have said

bought back my wife’s old coolfire 4 doing this was just dirty around the contacts under the hood so wasn’t reading resistance properly

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So I have a couple of mods that keep firing after you release the fire button. A Target Pro and a IPV 8. So I have held on to them. The Target Pro is my wife's favorite and was a gift from @debinnv. My girl likes it 1. It was a gift from Deb 2. It fits her hand perfect 3. Has a hood battery life for a single battery mod.
The IPV 8 is okay but it is my only yihi mod and it would be cool to use it when the mood strikes me.

So what is your isopropyl opinion? Does it work? How long should it dry before I try to use it (them)?
Please give me your opinions and suggestions. Peace and love
Rick

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I ran a wave soldering machine for a while and we cleaned the boards in a solvent fog...the problem with water is that it can get onto places that you cant get it out of, not saying it cant be done just saying I would not chance it.
I have the same concern with an isopropyl bath. Might just destroy your display or such things if not properly sealed.

also water is a specified destroyer of OLED displays.
I doubt that alcohol would do it any good either.

Last edited:

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have the same concern with an isopropyl bath. Might just destroy your display or such things if not properly sealed.

also water is a specified destroyer of OLED displays.
I doubt that alcohol would do it any good either.

90% iso is used for cleaning recording heads because it leaves little residue. 90% iso not rubbing alcohol which is 70% h2o...... the only time I would totally saturate an electronic device is if it was submerged in water, as iso is hydroscopic and aids with water dispersion. of course that would be followed with dried compressed air....

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I saw someone soak a mod once in one of the challenges worked for them ...however wouldn’t risk it myself would do what the others have said

bought back my wife’s old coolfire 4 doing this was just dirty around the contacts under the hood so wasn’t reading resistance properly

That would be me... did it with both a VT133 DNA 200 and my Pico Squeezes... With the VT133 I removed the screen though... but yeah, I just dropped them into a ultrasonic cleaner with ISO... used compressed air to blow dry... and the two mods are still trucking along.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Yep, I destroyed a display with Iso once. Didn't mean to get it on or in it but it did and that was the end of my mod. Great cleaner for tanks but be careful with a mod.

VU Sponsors