Become a Patron!

Issue with calculating current drawn. Need help!

chinacatsunflower-

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Hey guys, so I recently bought a Sig 213. I popped my Mason on there with a .23 dual clapton build, two fresh charged batteries and vaped away at 80 watts. To my amazement, the device was reading out that I was pulling 18-19 amps on my 20A CDR batteries. Woah?! This is my first dual series mod. I talked with a few people, and they mentioned that with a 0.23 build that this would be common, but hold up? Everything that I've been told, have read, all of it. It's told me that the resistance has no affect on the amps drawn in regulated mods. I thought it was as basic as Amps = Watts / Voltage? I was expecting no more than 11 amps pulled at 80 watts on fresh charged batteries.

So, after talking with those people, I swapped my build. It's reading out at 0.5 ohms and I'm vaping at 80 watts again. It's only reading 12-13 amps now... the wattage that I was expecting. Have I been miscalculating my amps drawn this entire time?

This is the way I've been doing it:

Amps = Watts / Voltage

80 / (3x2) = 80 / 6 = 13.33 amps drawn at the absolute lowest my batteries will go, 3 volts.

But yet I'm pulling 12 amps at 80 watts on a full charge? I've double checked all my bookmarked resources, read over Mooch's posts. I'm still quite lost. If anyone notices what I'm doing wrong, I would extremely appreciate it if you could point it out. Or simply clarify if I am in fact correct. I'm beginning to doubt myself and my knowledge and I want to be sure I'm being 100% safe.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The mod is showing coil current, not battery current. Build resistance has nothing to do with battery current when using a variable wattage mod. Your watt setting divided by total battery voltage gives you approximate battery current. Chip efficiency and battery sag affect it as well, but that's getting down in the weeds. 20 amp batteries in a dual battery mod set to 80 watts is way under what those batteries can handle. You're not running them hard at all.

Also, most mods won't take the batteries below 3.2 volts each. Look up your mods input voltage range to verify.

VU Sponsors