Become a Patron!

istick mini 10w + kanger mini protank 3, is it for me?

hello everybody, i am a new member on this site and man it feels good! anyways, i have a quick question. i started vaping a little over 6 or 7 months ago on the classic ego 4 battery/tank; but i quickly realized how much it sucked (plus i discovered the world of herbal atomizers :D), so 2 months after that i bought a little 3-in-1 MicroG clone for $30 off ebay. when i got it, it was revolutionary; i could use ejuice, cannabis, or wax, but it was too good to be true.. the herbal atomizer broke within first day and the wax one broke the week later. since then, i've been vaping with the liquid attachment. flavor sucks, clouds suck, and burning taste always masks whatever flavor juice im vaping. (i always vape 6mg 100vg spearmint or fruity juice, any company really) anyways, i've been doing my research for a long time now on an alternative. so far, i'm really loving the istick mini 10 watt, with kanger mini protank 3 1.5ohm. the only thing i am looking for is something that is very small, flavorful, can blow sizeable clouds, and costs between 30-40$. is the istick mini 10w and kanger mini protank 3 the correct combination for me? any downfalls of the two?

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We only post about Nic-Ejuice Gear, no herbals allowed on this forum (there are other forums for that type), so if your talking that set up for nic-juice, Try the 30W-50W Istick, it's a great step up from what you had:)
Welcome to VU

yes, my bad i forgot to add i will only be vaping juice on this. and are you sure? i was really thinking about getting an istick or cloupor mini 30w and mid-price subohm tank (suchas an arctic) with .5 and 1 ohm coils, but the size was just a little too big.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes I am sure...LOL

Good choices, read around at what others are talking about and using and you'll get an idea of what could work better for you:)

I also merged your other identical thread here.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
One thing I would suggest is instead of the Istick, take a look at the Sigelei Mini 30 watt mod.

I think 101 Vape has them for under $37.

The Istik is what I call a Rent-A-Mod as it has a battery that cannot be replaced when it dies and you have to chuck the whole damn thing in the trash.

The Sigelei Mini has a battery you can replace when the time comes. The Samsung 25r 20 amp, 2500 mAh battery for it will run you less than $8.

I know it is a tad more than you wanted to spend but think of it as an investment towards non smoking and happy vaping.

Plus the Clouper mini has had a problem with some of them catching fire when you charge them via the USB port.

Not a problem with the Sigelei.

i see your point RJ, but the main problems here are cost and size. i'm not really looking to blow giant clouds, i just would like a very efficient but small and wellpriced vape.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My cloupor mini is working like a beast...i dont use the usb charger to charge it but that you can get for $28.00 from gearbest...Youll eventually move on to mods with replaceable batteries anyway...its a small investment compared to smoking for one month which is generally around $200 or more...A charger that charges 2 batteries at once you can get for 20 dollars...2 samsung batteries for $12.00...now for 32 dollars more you can buy whatever mod you want and be ready to use it non stop.

I also have the sigelei mini...it is nice but i dont care for the limited draw time on it..Otherwise a great mod...The cloupor is by far a smaller device than the sigelei is

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ask what your gonna do when your on the road and your battery is dead in the i stick...hmmm..ill be home in an hour then i need 3 hrs or so to charge it..damn i wanna cigarette :(

Oh look, my battery is almost dead in my sigelei or cloupor..let me just put a freshly charged battery in it. :)...Any questions?

Cigmod VonToker

Member For 4 Years
You might take a look at the eGrip. Tank and mod all in one solid but tiny package. Will go 20 watts and makes very nice vapor with good flavor. The ego one is also very small and can put it out too. Both are excellent. I don't have either one of these but we've sold a bunch and almost everybody loves em and they do well enough with high VG liquids.The mini pro tank 3 is a good workman like little tank but a Kanger GeniTank Mini or AeroTank Mini might serve better since they have airflow control. If you like high VG eLiquid none of these little Kangers are really all that great. The little coils have a tough time keeping up with thicker eLiquids. The newer high preformance tanks, rba's and rda's are much better suited for liquids at 70% vg or higher. The iStick 30's are great and you have quite a few options on what you can run on them the extra spend on one will be well worth it.

Another problem though is that I don't want giant clouds, cause I nearly always set off the smoke detector in my apartment or in the hallway. im really never looking towards sub-ohm. I just want efficiency in size, great flavor, good price

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I wouldn't waste the money on a 10watt mod, or any of the protanks or aerotanks, personally. I had an aerotank on an MVP... I was back to smoking in no time.

Coils constantly need changing or they end up tasting like crap, so thats a couple bucks every few days. Whatever juice I'd put in the tank would darken, caramelize, and I'd be dumping and rinsing instead of just topping off. You have to be a swiss watchmaker to rebuild the coils, which I'm not. The protanks leak from the air holes, the aerotanks didn't but the tiny assed intakes would clog with pocket lint. Compared to dripping, or a newer type tank system the flavor, vapor, and overall experience just sucks.

All in all they were a huge step up from the old 510t and ego-t tanks, but we're talking 2 year old vaping tech here, and at the end of the day they just weren't nearly as satisfying as a cigarette to me.

I'd suggest investing in decent equipment, or don't waste your money at all.

Fwiw, the whole idea of not having to buy separate batteries and a charger is a rookie mistake many of us have made, myself included. You think that you want a stand alone mod with a USB port to charge. You're probably gonna find out that you were wrong.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I still use protanks..have a protank 2 a protank 2 mini and 2 version 1 aerotanks...All of which are my most reliable tanks.

They have small leak issues as mentioned but thats usually if you dont wick properly or use too large of a wire to rebuild with and sometimes if you primer puff too hard and flood it.

Ive never personally had any juice color issues because i use a kanger protank series tank..so i have to shrug on that one.

You will get a 1.2 ohm coil with your sub tank as well..you dont have to use the .5 ohm coil and turn up the power if you dont want to...11 or 12 watts will work just fine with the 1.2 ohm coil...Close off your air flow and you wOnt blow these big clouds you might worry about...you will figure out how to control the vape you need or want....The rest like the sigelei and batteries and charger will stay with you with any tank you decide on..big clouds or little clouds.

I use 11 watts with a home built 1.2 ohm coil in my protank 2 and the kanger version 3 air flow controller for it....you can set it so you cant pull in any air at all to a smooth slow lung hit (wide open) or a tight to lose mouth to lung hit...Its extremely precise with air flow control...I can blow a decent cloud or as much or less vapor/smoke than you can from smoking a cig.

The protank 3 and alot of the other fancy kangers use dual coils which are a little more complicated to rebuild..Stick to the protank or protank 2 series with a single coil and learn to rebuild and youll be glad you did...Get the kanger version 3 or V3 air flow controller to go with it and enjoy it.
20150310_022639.jpg

Last edited:
thank you so much mike, that's the kind of reply I was looking for. I will definitely look into the pro tank 2 and the air flow controller. And Haadkoe, I'm not really looking to rebuild. I'd much rather buy a 5 pack of 1.2 ohm coils off eBay for $5. My step brother has had a pro tank 3 mini, and after 4 months of heavy use; he's only had to change the cool once, it still vapes like a champ too.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So you were looking for a reply that just told you what you wanted to hear. Got it. Good luck to you, and happy vaping.

I think your bro might have busted taste buds though. Rocking the same coil and wick for months is yucksauce to me.

Last edited:
Not exactly Haad, I was looking for someone who was used pro tanks for a while and has experience with them. Also, I stay with my step brother every weekend, and I sometimes vape with his setup. He always keeps it at a steady 5 volts, and there's never been any burnt taste; plus a pretty good amount of vapor. The only reason why he changed the coil a while ago is because it wasn't giving off enough vapor.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If it works for you, then that's all that matters. I wish you the best, and hope that you find both success and vaping bliss with whatever setup you happen to choose. :)

For what its worth though, my response was based on actual personal experience. They suck ass.

I'd still buy a carton of smokes before wasting my money on those anemic tanks and mods, and I love me some vapor.

Last edited:

Heather

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I used pro tanks for awhile. They worked and got me off cigarettes. Would I use them today no. The quality either went down hill with the coils or I started to get clones. Both possible. I had an stick 20 watt and didn't like it at all. I have a siegelie 30 watt and love it. A battery lasts forever in it. To each there own.

Ngkon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just got my wife a new setup from sweet-vapes (they happen to have all items in stock). The istick 30watt and the eleaf gs air m. The setup cost about $45 shipped and it works excellent. The coils run about $9 for five. You are getting a 30 watt device and a tank that has great adjustable airflow. If you want more vapor change the tank to the innokin Isub for a couple more bucks. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a basic setup that will work well.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Not exactly Haad, I was looking for someone who was used pro tanks for a while and has experience with them. Also, I stay with my step brother every weekend, and I sometimes vape with his setup. He always keeps it at a steady 5 volts, and there's never been any burnt taste; plus a pretty good amount of vapor. The only reason why he changed the coil a while ago is because it wasn't giving off enough
.I would suspect hes using the much higher ohm coil like say a 2.4 ohm or something to be seeing 5 volts and not get a burnt taste...5 volts at 1.2 ohm like you want would be wayyyy to much power.

Jetson

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What's the Protank 3? I thought the Protank 2 was the new one with 2 coils in there. Are they jamming 3 in there now, like they do with blades in disposable razors? As you can tell, I haven't been keeping up on vape gear lately. :confused:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
What's the Protank 3? I thought the Protank 2 was the new one with 2 coils in there. Are they jamming 3 in there now, like they do with blades in disposable razors? As you can tell, I haven't been keeping up on vape gear lately. :confused:
The original protank was single coil without a removable drip tip...Protank2 is the same but with a removable drip tip..Protank 3 has dual coils.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ask what your gonna do when your on the road and your battery is dead in the i stick...hmmm..ill be home in an hour then i need 3 hrs or so to charge it..damn i wanna cigarette :(

Oh look, my battery is almost dead in my sigelei or cloupor..let me just put a freshly charged battery in it. :)...Any questions?

I take my Isticks on the road all the time, if battery dies I either bring two or slap it on my car charger :):)

VU Sponsors