Become a Patron!

iStick50 Auto Fire Issue...

CDZVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I saw this briefly mentioned in a reddit post recently and was wondering if this is a frequent problem with them?

Ive had it happen twice, fortunately I realised what was happening quickly enough to remove the tank, (Kanger SubTank Mini).

It only happened those 2 times about a month or so ago. I use it everyday with an Origen Genesis with no issues, so I forgot about it. Now that reddit post reminded me.

Anyone else??

VaporJoe

_ the end has arrived _
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Could be a switch issue. I have never had an issue with mine. Is it a eleaf or a generic brand?

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It happened to me when some juice got into the switch. I took a can of electronic board spray cleaner and gave the switch a couple blasts, let it dry and it worked with no autofiring.

CDZVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@VaporJoe....It is an eLeaf. Its odd because it was only those 2 times back when I first got it, so far. I didnt know there was a generic brand.

@ Zamazam...I think you're probably right. I'm pretty meticulous with my mods, keeping up on them and such, which could explain why it only happened twice.
It also happened back when I was having trouble with a leaky Subtank Mini which Im no longer using, hence the Origen. I just didnt put one and one together, duh...
As far as I know 1 + 1 equals 9. Thanks for replying!!

pjerzy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have this and have no issues. But I'm not going to risk it. I will be getting rid of it and actually ordered a sigelei 50w last night. I don't want this thing catching on fire in my bookbag at work or on my nightstand. Not a risk I'm willing to take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not just juice in the switch. Many have no juice in the switch when taken apart to check.

This one was brand new out of the box a few days ago.

JOLT74

Member For 4 Years
I have a friend having this issues constantly, multiple times a day type problem, I figured he wasn't alone

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I had a thought while working today on these iStick issues. I'm guessing there is a known amp max it will draw, and I believe it's been confirmed to have two 18650's in it. If that's the case, somebody needs to identify the batteries, and see what they are actually capable of, and if that falls in the safe operating range for the power being put out. Wouldn't explain auto firing, and charging fires, but I do wonder if inadequate batteries are wired in for what the device is asking them to do.

CDZVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not just juice in the switch. Many have no juice in the switch when taken apart to check.

This one was brand new out of the box a few days ago.

Thats exactly what was happening to mine.

@TBCAmor I thought the same. Each time it happened to me I had the .5 coil in it, Kanger OCC coils. It'd be a good place to start trouble shooting it imo...

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thats exactly what was happening to mine.

@TBCAmor I thought the same. Each time it happened to me I had the .5 coil in it, Kanger OCC coils. It'd be a good place to start trouble shooting it imo...
I am pretty certain people have taken these apart, thus the confirmation of it having 2 18650's. Now we need to identify the batteries. Anyone who is gonna toss or retire their iStick, if at all able to, should tear it open and see what these batteries are. Also, I wonder if they're series or parallel. Inferior batteries wouldn't explain the autofire/charging awfulness, but if they're being pushed even teetering near their abilities, I could see It slowly stressing the whole device, to the point of dramatic failure, as we've been seeing. I really am very interested what they've put in there. My old MVP2, is my only built in battery mod, and with 3 amp max and low power capabilities, almost any battery could handle that. 50watts, now that's a different story. Depending on your build, the amp draw on an iStick could really be bad with quite a few batteries. I wanna know what cells these are.

If I knew what I was doing, and had the money to burn, I'd buy one just to tear it open.

johnnyyuma

Member For 4 Years
This came up on reddit today. OP claims to have written to eleafus and got this response:

Dear The Vape Shop Brighton Mass,

I have heard of that. Luckily the engineers for eLeaf are in my office this week and we asked them about it. The first batch before March that was made for the 50w has a connection on the chip made for the 20w and 30w so when it is charged there could be a problem. All products made after March are fitted with the new connection and work perfectly fine. They tested our entire stock and our stock if completely fine.

Sincerely,

(Name Taken Off)

Wholesale Supervisor

This was the response I got this morning regarding the pictures I sent them concerning the Istick 50W catching fire. Hope this helps the consumers feel better. My shop has only the new stock of Istick 50W. Hope this helps answers some of the question concerning the Istick 50w

http://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_...eaf_usa_response_to_istick_50w_catching_fire/

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
mine did this too.. bought it from mt baker baker.. sent it back and got a full refund :(

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I don't suppose there is any way to tell when they were made?

I would like to know this as well. My brother has the 50 watt and he is scared to leave it unattended after seeing some of the pics on Reddit. He has not had any issues so far, but who wants to take the chance of setting your house on fire.

pjerzy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have and have retired it. Received my sigelei 50w vr2 today. I'll hold onto the istick for a week or so. If eleaf doesn't come out with a statement saying which ones are "safe" then it's getting thrown out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
my buddy just bought one from www.mtbakervapor.com (and is still working fine) but I went to buy one and they have pulled it off their site. so they have stopped selling them. maybe when they are safe they will start selling again. hopefully they were just the ones pre march.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Im very curious as to what all the issues are? People have had them catch on fire while charging, or other times as well? It can auto fire while off with no addy on it? Anyone know how many we are talking here? By eleaf s admission that pre march has the wrong chip, are they saying all pre march mod will have issues?

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
if i hadnt have been sitting there watching mine vape without me.. well..

i am lucky it did not catch on fire and burn my house down.. but that is why i pay insurance too..
however.. *shrugs.. MtBakerVapor did a full refund on me for a defective product.. :)

Maverik_X

Deez Nutz
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
if i hadnt have been sitting there watching mine vape without me.. well..

i am lucky it did not catch on fire and burn my house down.. but that is why i pay insurance too..
however.. *shrugs.. MtBakerVapor did a full refund on me for a defective product.. :)
It's good to see retailers taking care of eleaf's huge screw up. Reddit is full of vapers that are having issues with these auto firing, catching fire and some exploding apparently.
http://imgur.com/a/MNQv2

Last edited:

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I fine it hard to believe they would literally ruin their name by not adressing this, but who knows

Lit&LeftBurning

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i just got one of these things, used, and i dont know what to make of it

Maverik_X

Deez Nutz
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
you should have waited to get one rumor is eleaf is making a temp control one next

Lit&LeftBurning

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
meh ive got a HB 40 coming in tomorrow, and from what i gather those are fairly reliable. temp controlled, too

Maverik_X

Deez Nutz
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I hope it works good for ya it's a fairly decent mod for a decent price with a authentic evolv chip. I got a Rdna 40 and I will be waiting for evolv to release a 60 or 70 watt chip before buying anymore. For now I'm on the YiHi band wagon for temp control and enjoy it. I still use my Rdna every day still a good chip. just needs more power lol.

BigKev77

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am hating my decision to buy this mod. I have had it for three days and it has been nothing but a pain with the lousy firing button. Now I am reading it can auto fire and cause a fire. I used an MVP 2.0 for nearly a year until the batter stopped holding a good charge and thought this istick was going to be the best with all the big name reviewers hard selling it. I should have come here to read about it from real users instead of listening to the youtube personalities. Finally able to afford an upgrade and it is junk.

Maverik_X

Deez Nutz
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am hating my decision to buy this mod. I have had it for three days and it has been nothing but a pain with the lousy firing button. Now I am reading it can auto fire and cause a fire. I used an MVP 2.0 for nearly a year until the batter stopped holding a good charge and thought this istick was going to be the best with all the big name reviewers hard selling it. I should have come here to read about it from real users instead of listening to the youtube personalities. Finally able to afford an upgrade and it is junk.
I believe innokin is releasing a Itaste Mvp 3.0 pro that will run up to 60 watts should be a good mod.

CDZVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Anyone who had a problem here, do you remember what attys and builds you had on it when it auto fired? Or the resistance?

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One of mine did it once. I'm pretty sure I had my kanger sub nano on it. I'm sure it was the .5 coil, but could have been reading .5,.6,.7

Maverik_X

Deez Nutz
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Anyone who had a problem here, do you remember what attys and builds you had on it when it auto fired? Or the resistance?
Just one of many on youtube showing the auto fire.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Seeing the same problem with the Smok M80 too. Amongst all the daily reports of auto-firing, A guy on reddit was showing picts of his house that caught on fire. Being that an M80 is a 1/4 stick of dynamite, Why would anyone name their mod "smokebomb"?

The M65 too.

Last edited:

Maverik_X

Deez Nutz
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey Robert B you got a link to that istick house fire would like to read into that, thanks.

BigKev77

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

This is the reply my vendor, 101. They must be the only vendor in the country to not hear of this problem with the pressure sensitive fire button.

"Hi Kevin, I can't recall anyone experiencing an issue like this with the button. I have seen one or two where the button will not press at all but not where it has to be pressed hard. The total through distance of the button is only about 1mm, the button contact itself is a standard small electronics surface mount style button, like the type you would see on a computer motherboard. The part of the button that you push on it just the part that makes contact with the actual switch."

Maverik_X

Deez Nutz
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Have them exchange it or see if you can get a refund.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Man, this just sucks. I feel bad for those guys. People need to toss these damn things. It sucks, but so does a house fire.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Mine has been rock solid so far (got it from Sweet-vapes in Feb.), no issues of any kind.

Last edited:

Doots

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
good here too. no issues so far since feb of this year

VU Sponsors