Become a Patron!

It begins....

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I expect many vape retailers to quit selling batteries.
And the non vape related sellers to cover their butts better with disclaimer statements about not for vaping use, etc...

I may be cynical but that is the best outcome that I expect.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Wish vapers would learn to pay a few cents more for good batteries. Man got paid for not doing his homework. Of course that wasn't mentioned. I do feel sympathy for him but it was an avoidable accident imo.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Many seem to think that vaping is like smoking. Just grab one and do it no knowledge required.
So true. Not exactly a plug and play hobby. Doesn't help that vape shops are trending toward the commercial side of it without including the needed education. Can't say I blame them too much; we see proof everyday on the forums that some newbs aren't interested in educating themselves.

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How unfortunate for him, but a $2 million settlement should put a (new) smile on his face.

That sucks. They won't stop selling batteries, too many people use them for too many different reasons.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How unfortunate for him, but a $2 million settlement should put a (new) smile on his face.

That sucks. They won't stop selling batteries, too many people use them for too many different reasons.
NO they will not totally quit selling batteries. But I suspect that many vape oriented business will stop selling them and or you will see many more warnings about the batteries not being sold for vaping use.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
NO they will not totally quit selling batteries. But I suspect that many vape oriented business will stop selling them and or you will see many more warnings about the batteries not being sold for vaping use.
I'd see no issue with making the buyer sign a waiver. And, hell - why not force the flyers on them with battery safety? They stuff shit like that in every firearm box, (and we - iirc - have to sign for or be logged for buying powder and primers). These fools are the danger - and stores that really do not know anything, or sell rewraps and pretend not to.

It beats JW's at the door, but seriously: if the store did not sell substandard materials, it just proves that courts and juries - all the walking meat around us - are just due culling.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I saw E-Fest and that pretty much sums it up sadly

We-ellll...maybe, but he claimed he had been using that mod and battery for some time, right? I suspect it was probably a malfunction from lack of maintenance, a hard short, maybe had a torn battery wrap, or he had a low build and dropped it and made the coil touch the atomizer wall or something

I've used Efests in mechs, just didn't build below their actual Mooch tested ratings, and took good care to rewrap as needed and keep my mod clean

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd see no issue with making the buyer sign a waiver. And, hell - why not force the flyers on them with battery safety? They stuff shit like that in every firearm box, (and we - iirc - have to sign for or be logged for buying powder and primers). These fools are the danger - and stores that really do not know anything, or sell rewraps and pretend not to.

It beats JW's at the door, but seriously: if the store did not sell substandard materials, it just proves that courts and juries - all the walking meat around us - are just due culling.
Yeah I expect a waiver to be required for buying vape capable batteries in the not too distant future.
I too can live with that.

And if decent batteries no way should the maker be held responsible for stupid misuse of their product.
Efests and the like though...

I would like to see it be criminal to mislabel batteries as to their capabilities though.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We-ellll...maybe, but he claimed he had been using that mod and battery for some time, right? I suspect it was probably a malfunction from lack of maintenance, a hard short, maybe had a torn battery wrap, or he had a low build and dropped it and made the coil touch the atomizer wall or something

I've used Efests in mechs, just didn't build below their actual Mooch tested ratings, and took good care to rewrap as needed and keep my mod clean
I have some 18350 and 18500 Efests and view them as 15 watt batteries.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Criminal... Well, I am tired of legislation and courts - hang 'em high; tar & feathers; off with their heads - on broadcast TV, live.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

The thing is, the conscientious retailers may put those warnings on -- but we know too well how many fly-by-nights holler about the wattage their batteries can support, but say nothing,, or lie, about the amperage, which is a far more critical aspect of any battery -- those rewrapped really AREN'T safe to vape with, but it seems that most vape retailers do peddle those, so EXCELLENT! they can't sell 'em anymore. Hopefully our buddy Mooch will continue blowing the whistle on the re-wraps and truly FAKE batteries, , so those of us who actually care to do this the proper SAFE way, can stay safe.

Of course we are in the minority -- intelligence always is.

Andria

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have some 18350 and 18500 Efests and view them as 15 watt batteries.

That's about right. I've got quite a few of those, the genuine AW ones, which I bought to be used with mechs, since I generally wrap coils around 2 ohms, and also some Efests for my Sigelei Zmax and the old Vamo that I sold a couple years ago. For very low wattage, there's nothing wrong with 'em.

Andria

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
So true. Not exactly a plug and play hobby. Doesn't help that vape shops are trending toward the commercial side of it without including the needed education. Can't say I blame them too much; we see proof everyday on the forums that some newbs aren't interested in educating themselves.

This for me remember when i first started was sold a 220w mod and couple of batteries wasnt told anything about staying inside limits ...just a here you go crack on mentality

Outside of forums like ours the mass public just dont see the harm in mixing and matching, damaged wraps etc

shops need to be that first point of call and push them to look it up (not scaremonger but treat these respectfully ...go here for more Information type situation) ...i for one dont see any harm in at least forcing outlets to provide safety info when selling

I would like to see it be criminal to mislabel batteries as to their capabilities though.

Agree id go as far as saying they should forced to state the grade of cell as well, especially the re-wrapping companies buying the sloppy seconds

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
"bought various parts online"
Who in Florida wants to buy a battery online from R-L Sales in Utah :huh: Maybe he was from Utah, but still..
And what are these various parts?
I suspect the online company didn't have an ecig disclaimer like we see at reputable battery suppliers and that's why they were held liable.
"R-L Sales had a duty to adequately test the batteries in vaporizers to ensure they did not present a danger." What a ridiculous statement.

Still, I'd like to know what these various parts are, and how much the user contributed with his own negligence, which I suspect is some, probably most. Too bad it happened to him, but ignorance of battery safety is no excuse.

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
h3D486C16

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If he assembled it himself doesn't that make him responsible. You would think anyone that has enough info about ordering parts to assemble a mod they would know about batteries. After all I feel they are the heart of vaping.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Because of this, we are going to hears so much fault on vaping primarily. Nothing about flashlights, or perhaps justification for those devices or any other device that depends on them. True. If it was unregulated it was his fault. But no one knew at the time. Another notch on the FDA's belt.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
"bought various parts online"
Who in Florida wants to buy a battery online from R-L Sales in Utah :huh: Maybe he was from Utah, but still..
And what are these various parts?
I suspect the online company didn't have an ecig disclaimer like we see at reputable battery suppliers and that's why they were held liable.
"R-L Sales had a duty to adequately test the batteries in vaporizers to ensure they did not present a danger." What a ridiculous statement.

Still, I'd like to know what these various parts are, and how much the user contributed with his own negligence, which I suspect is some, probably most. Too bad it happened to him, but ignorance of battery safety is no excuse.
Agree with everything said here. If I remember correctly isn't Element in Florida? Buying from a place in Utah makes no sense.

Is it me or was this article written in a way to make vaping look bad and not the user? No info on the type of mod, the atty, the condition of the battery wrap or how hard he was vaping it before it blew up.

Glad the person is OK but I'd be willing to bet it was operator error in some fashion.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
:
:
Is it me or was this article written in a way to make vaping look bad and not the user? No info on the type of mod, the atty, the condition of the battery wrap or how hard he was vaping it before it blew up
:
Yes and Yes.
Remember, there is no agenda or bias out there..

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If that's the way it's gonna be then I'm turning my mod all the way to over heat the juice which will spit hot juice into my mouth causing burns that I can sue some company over. Then I can drive around town telling everyone " I'm rich biatch", honk my horn and say " thank you".

Too bad the hot coffee one was done years ago. Sigh, sad panda.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I wouldn't be surprised at all if this person intentionally shopped places missing disclaimers as a means to sue. A perfectly capable builder with some knowledge of law and wording could see an opportunity and take it.

This is as ridiculous as suing a gun manufacturer for making a gun that someone killed someone else with.

Now we are going to start seeing even more warning labels on everything. Unbelievable.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wouldn't be surprised at all if this person intentionally shopped places missing disclaimers as a means to sue. A perfectly capable builder with some knowledge of law and wording could see an opportunity and take it.

This is as ridiculous as suing a gun manufacturer for making a gun that someone killed someone else with.

Now we are going to start seeing even more warning labels on everything. Unbelievable.

Just another excuse to restrict, legislate, tax, police. It also makes the few lobbyist groups happy, as they will all see raises in the near future.

VU Sponsors