Become a Patron!

ITaste MVP v2.0 with a Orchid duel coil

Working on an Itaste mvp v2.0 with an orchid duel coil. I've researched enough to know Ill need no less than 1.2 ohms so with a 26 ga. wire does that work out to 12 wraps? It seems like the coil is turning out about the size of the deck. I'm afraid it will touch the chimney house.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You would be better served using 28 or even 30 gauge for a final resistance of 1.2 ohms or more.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
28 gauge with 7 wraps will give you 1.2

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Working on an Itaste mvp v2.0 with an orchid duel coil. I've researched enough to know Ill need no less than 1.2 ohms so with a 26 ga. wire does that work out to 12 wraps? It seems like the coil is turning out about the size of the deck. I'm afraid it will touch the chimney house.

I'm vaping my Orchid on an MVP 2.0 right now. It's set up with dual microcoils, 1.5mm ID, 28 gauge, 12 wraps, ~1.6 ohms each for a total of ~.8 ohm. The MVP displays .8 ohm, sometimes .7 ohm. Working great at 3.7 V, just like on my mechanicals. I sometimes up the MVP to 4.1-4.3 V if I'm feeling masochistic.

I'm curious what the 1.2 ohm minimum is based on.

Hermit

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm vaping my Orchid on an MVP 2.0 right now. It's set up with dual microcoils, 1.5mm ID, 28 gauge, 12 wraps, ~1.6 ohms each for a total of ~.8 ohm. The MVP displays .8 ohm, sometimes .7 ohm. Working great at 3.7 V, just like on my mechanicals. I sometimes up the MVP to 4.1-4.3 V if I'm feeling masochistic.

I'm curious what the 1.2 ohm minimum is based on.

Dunno where 1.2 comes from, it's not in the specs AFAICS.

There might be a few tricks to get slightly more out of it, but essentially it says it can do 11 Watts, and the lowest voltage it can be set to is 3.3V. That means about 1 ohm is the lowest it can drive, and still be doing what it says (and then only if it's set to 3.3V or 11W). That's not to say it won't fire with lower ohms, necessarily, but it might well be putting out less volts than you set it to! There's apparently a cut-out if more than 3.5A is output - ever hit that?

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dunno where 1.2 comes from, it's not in the specs AFAICS.

There might be a few tricks to get slightly more out of it, but essentially it says it can do 11 Watts, and the lowest voltage it can be set to is 3.3V. That means about 1 ohm is the lowest it can drive, and still be doing what it says (and then only if it's set to 3.3V or 11W). That's not to say it won't fire with lower ohms, necessarily, but it might well be putting out less volts than you set it to! There's apparently a cut-out if more than 3.5A is output - ever hit that?

No, it does not cut out, if by that it means stop providing any current. It will keep vaping. But yes, it does seem to regulate at its specified maximum. Been switching back an forth with a mechanical and you're right, the MVP is underperforming. Don't know what I was thinking because .8 ohm is clearly gonna pull 17 W @ 3.7 V. Never really noticed it because the Orchid is on a mech most of the time, except when I'm building and checking resistance. I guess that bright display of higher volts on the MVP created a placebo effect. ;)

Hermit

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No, it does not cut out, if by that it means stop providing any current. It will keep vaping. But yes, it does seem to regulate at its specified maximum. Been switching back an forth with a mechanical and you're right, the MVP is underperforming. Don't know what I was thinking because .8 ohm is clearly gonna pull 17 W @ 3.7 V. Never really noticed it because the Orchid is on a mech most of the time, except when I'm building and checking resistance. I guess that bright display of higher volts on the MVP created a placebo effect. ;)

Yeah, stop providing any current. Says this in the manual:
"Red LED light will stay on for 5 seconds when a load
short circuit is detected or the current of the coil is
more than 3.5A, then no vapor will be produced".

So I guess, to stay within 3.5A, it must be lowering the voltage to 2.8V with the 0.8 ohm coil. Either that, or the current limit is calculated in a way that means it's not 3.5A under all circumstances.

I've only seen that 5 second red once, when I was tweaking a coil - would've been 'interesting' on a mech :oops:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, stop providing any current. Says this in the manual:
"Red LED light will stay on for 5 seconds when a load
short circuit is detected or the current of the coil is
more than 3.5A, then no vapor will be produced".

So I guess, to stay within 3.5A, it must be lowering the voltage to 2.8V with the 0.8 ohm coil. Either that, or the current limit is calculated in a way that means it's not 3.5A under all circumstances.

I've only seen that 5 second red once, when I was tweaking a coil - would've been 'interesting' on a mech :oops:

I've had a few of those "interesting" hot potatoes. Back to your question about coils getting too bulky in the Orchid when you're trying a build optimized to the MVP. My feeling is that since the Orchid is my favorite RTA by far, I will let the Orchid determine what mod to attach to it, not have the mod determine the build. Some folks love their MVPs though, and I'm indifferent to mine.

If you do gain some valuable experience with your Orchid, please share it at http://vapingunderground.com/threads/orchid-modification-thread.20819/#post-125975, which I started the other day just for that purpose. Cheers!

Merrick92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
you could always try a larger screwdriver to wrap the coils. When you can't go out,try going up :) I build on a 2.4mm screwdriver. You could always try a 3mm, see what happens.

VU Sponsors