Become a Patron!

Japanese cotton or Cotton bacon?

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been using Japanese organic cotton pads, for the last two years, can be a pain process of removing the top and bottom layers then tearing strips and rolling or fluffing it. is cotton bacon worth the price? I see it's already to go just wick and vape.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I use native wicks. That stuff is awesome. I never get burnt hits anymore. Deucesjack recently did a review on it if you wanna check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fuseryder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've been using Japanese organic cotton pads, for the last two years, can be a pain process of removing the top and bottom layers then tearing strips and rolling or fluffing it. is cotton bacon worth the price? I see it's already to go just wick and vape.

I want this to be known, there is no better cotton than cotton bacon except for organic cotton pads and the cotton that comes free with attys.....I'm sorry I'm bored at work

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

aeon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I used to use Cotton Bacon, now I am a dedicated Japanese Muji man.

The top and bottom layers are easily separated with a curved needlepoint tweezer to grab an edge and lift away.

As far as getting a strip/wick ready, I just cut with scissors...clean and easy.

And for sure, you can’t beat the Muji pads for price!

Cheers,
Ian

krypto909

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I used to use Cotton Bacon, now I am a dedicated Japanese Muji man.

The top and bottom layers are easily separated with a curved needlepoint tweezer to grab an edge and lift away.

As far as getting a strip/wick ready, I just cut with scissors...clean and easy.

And for sure, you can’t beat the Muji pads for price!

Cheers,
Ian

Ever use Koh Gen Do organic cotton? I've read that is the best organic cotton to wick with.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
CBV2 or ORIGINAL ORGANIC COTTON
be careful where you buy it..
As I've said long time ago
There's a lot of clone jap cotton!

I BAM

iVapeDIY

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ever use Koh Gen Do organic cotton? I've read that is the best organic cotton to wick with.
Koh gen Do is my go to, I love it. Cotton Bacon, meh. I've tried a large variety of wicking material and haven't found anything better.
Try rayon... You probably have a Sally's shop nearby, their 100% rayon CelluCotton is good for the price (cheap)
I can't stand Rayon
All the hype, IMO Koh gen Do keeps up with Rayon with regards to speed of wicking plus not the nasty dry throat of Rayon.

As for holding up, my coils will gunk up long before the Cotton even comes close to breaking down.
Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

For my Avacado Cotton Bacon works the best. Instant great flavor and saturated wick. For my griffin I use Japanese pads. My rta's they are prone to leaking when using CB. I'm sure someone will tell me what I'm doing wrong here. But for top feeders get some CB. Its a superior product IMO (vs pads).

xpen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
(...) I can't stand Rayon
All the hype, IMO Koh gen Do keeps up with Rayon with regards to speed of wicking plus not the nasty dry throat of Rayon. (...)
We already had this discussion my friend But the OP may want to try rayon..

Last edited:

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer

Personaly i prefer cotton bacon. i even recently ordered a bag of koh gen do organic sheets to give it another chance. been using it 2 weeks. still prefer cotton bacon personally. either is fine though

aeon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I’ve got nothing bad to say about Cotton Bacon...it has worked for me, and I will use what I have left.

That said, the Muji has been easier to work with (for me), in particular, getting the amount right.

That likely says more about my skill in wicking (or lack thereof), than it does about either product.

Oh, and bonus about the Muji...the top and bottom layers that get peeled off are great for wiping those inevitable juicy moments.

Cheers,
Ian

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm with @Mykreign on this. Made the switch from Cotton Bacon v2 to Native Wicks Platinum Blend some months ago and couldn't be happier.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
A+ for CB here

I live Native Wicks Platinum for about a day, then it tastes funny to me

KoGenDoh takes too long to break in IMO

F- Rayon :blech:

krypto909

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I’ve got nothing bad to say about Cotton Bacon...it has worked for me, and I will use what I have left.

That said, the Muji has been easier to work with (for me), in particular, getting the amount right.

That likely says more about my skill in wicking (or lack thereof), than it does about either product.

Oh, and bonus about the Muji...the top and bottom layers that get peeled off are great for wiping those inevitable juicy moments.

Cheers,
Ian

Nice tip! I'm gonna try that

krypto909

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A+ for CB here

Rayon is a pain to me. I gotta give the Wicks a "mullet haircut" just to get it to taste right. Takes me forever. It does last way longer than any cotton does though and if you get a dry hit its nothing like the wet newspaper taste from a cotton dry hit. Too much effort for me though, I'm too impatient.

Last edited:

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Koh gen Do is my go to, I love it. Cotton Bacon, meh. I've tried a large variety of wicking material and haven't found anything better. I can't stand Rayon
All the hype, IMO Koh gen Do keeps up with Rayon with regards to speed of wicking plus not the nasty dry throat of Rayon.

As for holding up, my coils will gunk up long before the Cotton even comes close to breaking down.
Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
I must have some ko gen doh, I'm pretty I've used it before and muji. I buy my cotton in bulk so I'll just pick up some ko gen do and muji. I'm running low anyways. as for rayon, I'm good. just the thought of hair products, cotton.... um I'll pass. I'll keep my Sally purchases to hair products and such and my vape purchases at vape shops.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I must have some ko gen doh, I'm pretty I've used it before and muji. I buy my cotton in bulk so I'll just pick up some ko gen do and muji. I'm running low anyways. as for rayon, I'm good. just the thought of hair products, cotton.... um I'll pass. I'll keep my Sally purchases to hair products and such and my vape purchases at vape shops.

FYI cotton bacon 2.0 1.99 https://www.efun.top/1-pc-wick-n-vape-cotton-bacon-v2-0-for-e-cigarettes.html

Shipping will be about 5 bucks probably but buying 2 bags makes it cheaper then most places already. i ordered 6 bags of it when i pre-oredered an aegis weeks ago and it was 2.99 then and i thought that was a steal lol

aeon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got my big bag of Muji 70mm × 90mm pads from the 'zon for $5.99...sadly, price has gone up in the meantime, but still, a lot of top-shelf cotton for the money.

twan013

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Although a newbie builder, I much prefer CB. I can't seem to get those organic sheets figured out. I either don't cut enough, cut to much, and/or mess up tearing the outer layers off. TBH I feel like those sheets are too compressed to work with anyway. To me it's like fitting a square peg into a round hole... Which brings me to an experimental mood. I'm wondering what it would be like to vape a square coil.

aeon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
TBH I feel like those sheets are too compressed to work with anyway.

That’s one of the things I like about the Muji...the initial cohesion allows for easier wicking, especially when dealing with smaller diameter coils, and/or atomizers with small holes/ports for juice flow.

And there’s something else I have noticed about the Muji that may contribute to the perception of the inner layers being compressed...the degree of parallelism of the constituent fibers is quite high...and for me this has meant better wicking and capillary action regardless of the atomizer in question...I’ve never had a dry hit with it, even in juice-sucking builds.

In any case, it fluffs up nice with a short puff of air, as little or as much as you like.

Cheers,
Ian

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
A+ for CB here

Cotton Bacon v2 are much more compressed compared to Native Wicks Platinum Blend. The latter, try rolling it into a sausage with your (clean) hands, uniformly, and without applying too much pressure so avoid compressing it too much. (If you compress it too much, then it just won't wick very well so you'll get a cottony, muted flavor, whereas if you don't compress it enough, your wicks will eventually start to collapse and the cotton will start to break down, which would immediately explain the funny taste you got after about a day of vaping on it.) Also, gently grub it between your fingertips so that anything sticking out will get peeled off. You can also stretch it out just a little bit by grubbing it several times step by step in such a way that you are factually also pulling it somewhat whilst you run your fingertips along it, and so you can then feel any variations in thickness and or density of the cotton as you're applying some pressure by pulling─so, by stretching it only in those locations where more stretching is needed, you can gradually work your way toward finally getting an evenly distributed amount of cotton along the entire length of your wicks. So... yeah, Cotton Bacon v2 is much faster to work with. But the extra time and patience spent with Native Wicks Platinum Blend pays off wonderfully in the end.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Cotton Bacon v2 are much more compressed compared to Native Wicks Platinum Blend. The latter, try rolling it into a sausage with your (clean) hands, uniformly, and without applying too much pressure so avoid compressing it too much. (If you compress it too much, then it just won't wick very well so you'll get a cottony, muted flavor, whereas if you don't compress it enough, your wicks will eventually start to collapse and the cotton will start to break down, which would immediately explain the funny taste you got after about a day of vaping on it.) Also, gently grub it between your fingertips so that anything sticking out will get peeled off. You can also stretch it out just a little bit by grubbing it several times step by step in such a way that you are factually also pulling it somewhat whilst you run your fingertips along it, and so you can then feel any variations in thickness and or density of the cotton as you're applying some pressure by pulling─so, by stretching it only in those locations where more stretching is needed, you can gradually work your way toward finally getting an evenly distributed amount of cotton along the entire length of your wicks. So... yeah, Cotton Bacon v2 is much faster to work with. But the extra time and patience spent with Native Wicks Platinum Blend pays off wonderfully in the end.

Eh, I played with it off and on for over a year now - used it many different ways

Still like my CB

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think I'm getting set in my ways in my old age.

Started off with eGo-C heads, CE4's and cartos were a great upgrade, then into Genisis atties with SS mesh and then into rdas using organic cotton for the most part. Somewhere in that progression I also tried silica, hemp, surgical gauze and the occasional T-shirt cotton, but not sure anymore exactly when :)

All of them had good points and bad. The eGo-C heads really sucked though!

These days I use KohGenDoh and Rayon in RTAs. Which I chose depends mostly on the build and on my preference that day. They both work pretty well for me if done right. Never tried Cotton Bacon or any of the other specialty products and honestly I don't think I ever will. I could be totally wrong here, but I doubt any of them would rock my vape world. I know, I'm boring ... but if it's not broken ...
yes3.gif

splucked

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Just like everything else about vaping, wicks come down to personal preference. I've tried a bunch of different Japanese cotton and get a strange flavor from all of them. No flavor issues with Cotton Bacon and I find it much easier to use. Love the stuff.

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee

Cotton Bacon V2, no break in, easy to work.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Idk, muji works for me and still have more than 2/3 of a bag left after a year. I like to change flavors quite a bit so no wick is really going to last me a week or anything. I usually rewick every other day or so and it's plenty cheap. Any break in is solved when I saturate the wick and fire it while blowing on it. I tried a bit of rayon, tasted like ass for some reason like vaping through wet laundry.

I say so long as it wicks and tastes fine then it's the right choice regardless of the material. I might be more inclined to try something that 'wicks better' if I was encountering wicking problems. Otherwise if it's not going dry and no dry hits, how much faster does it need to wick? Wicking 'efficiency' test comparisons might be important for someone trying to overcome a problem. Otherwise I'm in the 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' crowd.

To the original point about the ease of working with cotton bacon I suppose it could have a learning curve as well since it's basically strips of fluffy cotton 'rope'. It's not really ready to go, it's a matter of pinching some off, learning how much to pull off so there's not too much, not too little. It would still need rolled or fluffed a bit and the end pinched/rolled to pull through the wick and may still require trimming. Each product will have its' pros and cons and learning curves.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think I'm getting set in my ways in my old age.

Started off with eGo-C heads, CE4's and cartos were a great upgrade, then into Genisis atties with SS mesh and then into rdas using organic cotton for the most part. Somewhere in that progression I also tried silica, hemp, surgical gauze and the occasional T-shirt cotton, but not sure anymore exactly when :)

All of them had good points and bad. The eGo-C heads really sucked though!

These days I use KohGenDoh and Rayon in RTAs. Which I chose depends mostly on the build and on my preference that day. They both work pretty well for me if done right. Never tried Cotton Bacon or any of the other specialty products and honestly I don't think I ever will. I could be totally wrong here, but I doubt any of them would rock my vape world. I know, I'm boring ... but if it's not broken ...
yes3.gif
Idk, muji works for me and still have more than 2/3 of a bag left after a year. I like to change flavors quite a bit so no wick is really going to last me a week or anything. I usually rewick every other day or so and it's plenty cheap. Any break in is solved when I saturate the wick and fire it while blowing on it. I tried a bit of rayon, tasted like ass for some reason like vaping through wet laundry.

I say so long as it wicks and tastes fine then it's the right choice regardless of the material. I might be more inclined to try something that 'wicks better' if I was encountering wicking problems. Otherwise if it's not going dry and no dry hits, how much faster does it need to wick? Wicking 'efficiency' test comparisons might be important for someone trying to overcome a problem. Otherwise I'm in the 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' crowd.

To the original point about the ease of working with cotton bacon I suppose it could have a learning curve as well since it's basically strips of fluffy cotton 'rope'. It's not really ready to go, it's a matter of pinching some off, learning how much to pull off so there's not too much, not too little. It would still need rolled or fluffed a bit and the end pinched/rolled to pull through the wick and may still require trimming. Each product will have its' pros and cons and learning curves.
Bottom line is that what ever works well for you, it's really that simple.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

krypto909

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yep.

Worst I've ever seen was "Black Magic", fucking cotton infused with activated charcoal. I don't have a desire for miners lung so never tried it.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

4796d0ddad0541a4e50ac58155bd378d.jpg

Never heard of this stuff until now. I read it was popular with Vapers living in China (I don't think they worry too much about the safety of their Vape Cotton as their air quality there is the worst on the planet).

Canadian Vaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Not a fan of Cotton Bacon, I find it has half a tank of break in.. Really it's nothing special...

Personally I use Muji since the ones I get are very consistent.. I've heard good things about rayon, you can get 100'+ boxes of it in different diameter rope format 2mm-4mm etc

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not a fan of Cotton Bacon, I find it has half a tank of break in.. Really it's nothing special...

Personally I use Muji since the ones I get are very consistent.. I've heard good things about rayon, you can get 100'+ boxes of it in different diameter rope format 2mm-4mm etc
99% of the breakin with cotton is oils on your fingers and other junk. Always wash your hands with soap before touching the cotton.

With that said there is a slight break in with any cotton but it never has been an issue with me with Koh gen Do, Cotton Bacon, or Muji. When ever I wick I prime the cotton and lightly pulse the coil while doing so. I then fire it a few times I re-assemble and then Vape away. It's done me well.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Yeah I got a bag of cotton bacon with some wire a few months back. Of course I used it, had no break in time issues. I don't think it is better or worse, just not worth the added expense. Still have over half the bag left. Keep meaning to put it in the car for emergency.

Canadian Vaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
99% of the breakin with cotton is oils on your fingers and other junk. Always wash your hands with soap before touching the cotton.

With that said there is a slight break in with any cotton but it never has been an issue with me with Koh gen Do, Cotton Bacon, or Muji. When ever I wick I prime the cotton and lightly pulse the coil while doing so. I then fire it a few times I re-assemble and then Vape away. It's done me well.
I've only gotten it with cotton bacon.

aeon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Sage advice given here, methinks.

Cheers,
Ian

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

In my experience, when I can taste a new wick it's because I didn't put the right amount of it into the coil(s). Putting in a new wick, properly of course :), gets rid of it. There is also the issue that when re-wicking we've likely cleaned or changed the coil and that will change the flavor until it gets slightly gunked. That of course does not go away if you re-wick immediately.

Then again it could just be that my sniffer isn't good enough anymore after 37 years of smoking to notice small flavor changes
yes3.gif

32bitlord

TPD Compliant
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I've only ever really used CB but I recently got a couple muji pads with an RTA and I must say for me it was far easier to wick with. The only negative I noticed was that my wick would burn fast if it started to run a little dry, something which never seems to happen when using CB. I was however intentionally running it as low on juice as possible so this probably wouldn't normally be an issue but I was surprised at how resilient CB is to burning.

Sent from my Apple Newton using Tapatalk

morfius1963

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Native wicks platinum blend is the best stuff on the market. I have been using it for about a year and a half I have tried all other cotton nothing works or taste as good as native wicks

TxThumper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
4796d0ddad0541a4e50ac58155bd378d.jpg

Never heard of this stuff until now. I read it was popular with Vapers living in China (I don't think they worry too much about the safety of their Vape Cotton as their air quality there is the worst on the planet).

that looks like the stuff you wrap exhaust with. forget popcorn lung, muffler lung is all the rage these days!
I like koh gen do, especially in my rta's. CB doesn't seem to keep up as well, plus I get a funky cotton taste, and I use the same amount of CB as KGD.

VU Sponsors