Become a Patron!

Japanese organic cotton???

bigdaddybrink1

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
May seem to be a stupid question, but WHY in the hell are soooooo many people impressed with Japanese Organic Cotton, and not American Organic Cotton?? I mean we bitch and moan about the poor quality on non-American metals, for atty's wouldnt the cotton be even worse since its actually what holds the juice? or am i just crazy? Even not just non-American, how about from that area of the world being known for a far worse living condition and less quality control........just askin cause if there's a good reason for i'm all ears!!!

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
They are trying to vape enough radiation to become the hulk.
Just seriously curious if anyone has gotten the cotton tested for radiation.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
When I first heard about japanese cotton, my first reaction was why wouldn't I get American cotton also.

When I looked, I couldn't find any. All of it appears to be used in clothing or exported.

I'd be interested in trying it if anyone finds any, preferably in pad form.

pony

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Japanese cotton is all over the place. The stuff most vapers use comes in a square pad about 2"x2". The big deal on it isnt who made it but how its made. Its clean and natural but the fibers are all oriented in one direction. Supposedly it wicks easier and more evenly.
I use a 'peruvian' type cotton i actually get from one of my customers at the shop. Its organic,non gmo, grown on a family own co op,no pesticides,herbicides or fertilizers.
Its planted, grown,picked,ginned and rinsed.Thats it. They dont even use soap.
Its the most unadulterated natural cotton ive found yet and doest change the flavor of my liquids in the least.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Japanese cotton is all over the place. The stuff most vapers use comes in a square pad about 2"x2". The big deal on it isnt who made it but how its made. Its clean and natural but the fibers are all oriented in one direction. Supposedly it wicks easier and more evenly.
I use a 'peruvian' type cotton i actually get from one of my customers at the shop. Its organic,non gmo, grown on a family own co op,no pesticides,herbicides or fertilizers.
Its planted, grown,picked,ginned and rinsed.Thats it. They dont even use soap.
Its the most unadulterated natural cotton ive found yet and doest change the flavor of my liquids in the least.
I kind of want to try that..

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
As was stated, the extremely even and parallel orientation of the fibers cause the Japanese cotton to wick very well.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Going on 4 years ago Fuckusima daichi went well into full nuclear melt down... and it is still going, pumping out rads like a cloud chaser at a comp. and Japan keeps lying to people about it.

the Japanese cotton it could wick the sweat off of Satan's own ball sack but has it been tested for radiation?
You comfy with your wife, mom, sister, gf wiping their face with possible godzilla material?

Last edited:

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have organic cotton balls gotton from a local store.

Doesn't wick quite as good as organic pad cotton. IF American makers would just MAKE some, I would buy it. It's not like I am using a hundred pounds of it a year.

There is a market, but apparently not a big enough market for vapers.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Anybody have any thoughts on just buying some cotton seeds and growing your own?
People DIY juice all the time. Why not with cotton as well? Then you know for a fact how it's grown and how it is processed.

Or would it be far harder then it sounds?

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Anybody have any thoughts on just buying some cotton seeds and growing your own?
People DIY juice all the time. Why not with cotton as well? Then you know for a fact how it's grown and how it is processed.

I think it would be easy to grow some, and wouldn't take a lot of space. But I'm sure it would be a PITA to deseed it and all that jazz.

bigdaddybrink1

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
When I first heard about japanese cotton, my first reaction was why wouldn't I get American cotton also.

When I looked, I couldn't find any. All of it appears to be used in clothing or exported.

I'd be interested in trying it if anyone finds any, preferably in pad form.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have organic cotton balls gotton from a local store.

Doesn't wick quite as good as organic pad cotton. IF American makers would just MAKE some, I would buy it. It's not like I am using a hundred pounds of it a year.

There is a market, but apparently not a big enough market for vapers.
Agreed

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nice find on the made in American, but not sure about the bleached with hydrogen peroxide on the back label.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I can't see the "ingredient" label on the CVS bag bug given the color, I'd say that they have been whitened and the other link you gave appears to just be a custom search with a bunch of eBay results.

I did just find a product sold by Smug Juice that looks like it will probably be on my list for trying the next time I think about getting more cotton:

http://www.smugjuice.com/Organic-Raw-Cotton-Wick-US-Grown_p_59.html

It isn't in ball or pad form, so I'm not sure how much effort it would take to use. If the fibers are lined up it might not be too bad.

bigdaddybrink1

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can't see the "ingredient" label on the CVS bag bug given the color, I'd say that they have been whitened and the other link you gave appears to just be a custom search with a bunch of eBay results.

I did just find a product sold by Smug Juice that looks like it will probably be on my list for trying the next time I think about getting more cotton:

http://www.smugjuice.com/Organic-Raw-Cotton-Wick-US-Grown_p_59.html

It isn't in ball or pad form, so I'm not sure how much effort it would take to use. If the fibers are lined up it might not be too bad.

idk, it just seems odd that we as vapors want Japan's cotton, but not their metals.........or is it just China's?? either way, i'd love to buy American.......

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I use the ones from CVs. They work fine. Not treated with chemicals and they're organic.

pony

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think it would be easy to grow some, and wouldn't take a lot of space. But I'm sure it would be a PITA to deseed it and all that jazz.
thats what a cotton gin is for

Nice find on the made in American, but not sure about the bleached with hydrogen peroxide on the back label.
thats odd.........wtf is that about??

hydrogen peroxide would be the best way to "bleach" while remaining organic. H2O2 is an oxidizer, over time it will turn to oxygen and water.

I just started looking for some of this magical Japanese cotton, then I thought about Fukushima. I am also curious as to this whole radiation thing. Has anyone found any new info regarding this? Or any other organic cotton pads? Edit: Of the NON-Feminine Hygiene variety.

LOL - Just googled Organic Cotton Pads -
But did find some cotton rounds

nameonawall

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Japanese Organic Cotton wicks ridiculously well for me, and doesn't have that "I need 12 rips to break in" flavor to it. I'm using 100% VG in a Kraken and it refuses to dry hit.

20150214_012445_resized.jpg

nameonawall

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is that a Steam Turbine? How you wick Horizontal coil? Just cotton touching the bottom?

Nah, its a Kraken clone, but basically the same design. I just wick the coil first, twist the ends, push them through the holes, pull them out the other side, put the glass on, and juice it up.

Nah, its a Kraken clone, but basically the same design. I just wick the coil first, twist the ends, push them through the holes, pull them out the other side, put the glass on, and juice it up.

Ooooh. Nice. Im going to have to try this. I just picked up a ST clone and hate it. Mesh is not my thing I guess. Going to try this build tonight, thanks :)

nameonawall

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ooooh. Nice. Im going to have to try this. I just picked up a ST clone and hate it. Mesh is not my thing I guess. Going to try this build tonight, thanks :)

No problem. I hate SS mesh. I always use cotton in my Krakens regardless of whether I'm doing vertical or horizontal coils. I usually use 26g kanthal, build between 1.1-1.5ohms, and run it at 13-17 watts.

vape.queen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

There are plenty of cotton fields in the South. NC, SC.....you can just walk up to some of them and grab what's left after a harvest...easy peasy.

vape.queen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Japanese cotton is garbage compared to medical cotton. The stuff I use is called Cotton Bacon by Wick n' Vape, made here, and not bleached with peroxide. They have it on Amazon. One pack looks small but there is a lot in there. $6.99, well worth it IMO

vape.queen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
hydrogen peroxide would be the best way to "bleach" while remaining organic. H2O2 is an oxidizer, over time it will turn to oxygen and water.

I just started looking for some of this magical Japanese cotton, then I thought about Fukushima. I am also curious as to this whole radiation thing. Has anyone found any new info regarding this? Or any other organic cotton pads? Edit: Of the NON-Feminine Hygiene variety.

LOL - Just googled Organic Cotton Pads -
But did find some cotton rounds
See my post on page 4

vape.queen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is that a Steam Turbine? How you wick Horizontal coil? Just cotton touching the bottom?
Yeah, what is that you got goin on in the bottom? No wick thru the coil? Hmmmm...

Walgreens sells 100% organic american made cotton in balls and rounds. The rounds all have parallel strands in them. I just got some yesterday and made up some coils and I'll never go back to the other stuff

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
well hydrogen peroxide is h2o2 and is no worse for you then water. it will dry like water leaving no residue. as a matter of fact it would be cleaner then water cause most water is not pure h20 but also has trace chemicals and minerals in it while h202 would not be sourced but created so no trace. not really a expert on the subject just love chemistry so if anyone can prove me wrong go ahead i wont be offended lol

nameonawall

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, what is that you got goin on in the bottom? No wick thru the coil? Hmmmm...
No, the cotton wick goes through the coil, down the 2 wick holes underneath the coil, all the way to the bottom of the tank. Wicks great with 0 dry hits, and super easy to rewick. Also, to your point on cotton bacon, ive used both and i prefer Japanese organic. It wicks more quickly and efficiently in my experience, and doesn't have that "I need 12 hits to break in" flavor. Phil busardo did a video with different wicking materials.

May seem to be a stupid question, but WHY in the hell are soooooo many people impressed with Japanese Organic Cotton, and not American Organic Cotton?? I mean we bitch and moan about the poor quality on non-American metals, for atty's wouldnt the cotton be even worse since its actually what holds the juice? or am i just crazy? Even not just non-American, how about from that area of the world being known for a far worse living condition and less quality control........just askin cause if there's a good reason for i'm all ears!!!
Japanese cotton's threaded differently which makes it hold more juice better.

josemarcquez

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Personally i think this matter in the end goes back to the end user, some people feel better vapes when using this cotton, some feel better with that cotton

OneLief

Unique and Ingenious Title
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It has nothing to do with where it is made. As others have said, it is how it is made. It wicks way better and every juice tastes better. I was stubborn for about a year and would only use cotton balls. Then I bought some Japanese cotton. I'll never go back. It's like trying to explain chocolate to someone who has never tasted it before. Just try it. You'll understand.

VU Sponsors