The Cloud Chasing Geek
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
I am seeing more and more people start to use coiling jigs. I feel personally they are a waste of wire and another thing to put in my kit. What do you all think?

Examples:
HexaCoiler Coil Jig for Kanthal Coils: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121345440322?lpid=82
QVapes Coiler - Brass Limited Edition Vape Tool Micro Coil Nano Coil Jig: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321419080518?lpid=82
Wire Bending Jig Wire-Bender create Circles Angles Spirals Coils Loops springs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161278995980?lpid=82
Coil Jig Maker RDA Mechanical MOD Rebuildable Atomizer Coil: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/271508764518?lpid=82

hazozita

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have been wondering about them. I have bad arthritis and have friends build for me. I have been wondering if one of these would help me do it my self. I hate to spend the money if it wont but i also hate bugging my friends

I have the same issue, and a jig has helped a lot. If you have good hands they are not really all that necessary, but if you have finger mobility issues, they are wonderful. Makes a big difference.

I'm using the Qvapes jig. Zero complaints.

FluidVapor

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The only one I've had a chance to use is the Q-Vapes coiler. Some might say It's a waste, and they may be right depending on their style of building. But for me, I like it. Gives me something substantial to grip and produces super tight micros with ease.

Indy325

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The gizmo is even cheaper on Amazon.... I find I use more wire with the Gizmo than I do with a smaller 'jig'... but they both work really well for me!

I have been considering designing one, but just haven't found the need yet... We will see after my RDA arrives (been using a Pro Tank up to this point)

Melvins

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have 2 of the QVapes coilers. It's not wasteful at all with my wire IMO and enables me to wrap damn near perfect micro coils that at times I don't even need to heat and compress.
The 510 connection makes for a solid base to mount your coils with enabling me to use all of my 101vape.com bases for storage/display.
The fact that it comes with 7 varying size Mandrels sets it apart from all the other coilers.
QVapes Coiler.jpg

blue305

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i bought me a micro puck love it before i bought that was only useing protanks now im into rba and rda

Soulkarve

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I saw the Qvapes thing a while ago and thought it looked like a good idea but didn't want to pay for anything that I could make myself. So I made one. I spent about 5 bucks and used some pieces I had at home. It pretty fugly but it works great on low gauge wire. I call it my Franken-Coiler.

MistaKuraudo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That Qvapes one looks pretty cool! Are there any ones at a good price?

MistaKuraudo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nice! Thank you. That will do very nicely.

Vaping PBR

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This is currently what I use Brass Limited Edition Qvapes coiler.
15yiuxk.jpg

Soulkarve

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Excellent discussion, much more productive than the replies I got on Fast Tech forums to the same question :)

http://www.fasttech.com/forums/vapers/t/1305314/rba-coil-jig

Micro Puck and QVapes look very good, but 30$ + price tag is killing it. It's a neat tiny gizmo, but it's a nice-to-have, not a must. Tough to justify a purchase. Too bad there isn't a crappy chinese clone out there :)
How about my cheap American clone!!!

image.jpg

I have 2 of the QVapes coilers. It's not wasteful at all with my wire IMO and enables me to wrap damn near perfect micro coils that at times I don't even need to heat and compress.
The 510 connection makes for a solid base to mount your coils with enabling me to use all of my 101vape.com bases for storage/display.
The fact that it comes with 7 varying size Mandrels sets it apart from all the other coilers.
View attachment 129

Now, if someone would only build an ohm meter into one just like that! It would be so handy!

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I love the Gizmo, it makes it seem like I can actually wrap professional quality coils ;) And it helps my cramping hands, so I can actually wrap pretty much any size coil without my hands saying "fuck you, im done" :D

I don't have cramping hands.
I just have huge meat hooks at the ends of my arms.
Can you tell me the diameter of the rods?

Right now I am using what I believe to be a 6 pound nail and I can produce a really decent coil using a piece of cardboard folded at one end, a staple and said nail on the other end.

But kind of painful to watch!

Nu2Mods

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
These are really neat! I had been thinking of a way to make coils easier to build and I see it has been done. I have BIG hands so wrapping 28g micro coils on a 5/64 drill bit is a challenge in itself. If the jigs could be used so that you wouldn't have to cut a prescribed length of wire prior to coiling, you could save lots of pieces of unused wire from getting stuck in your foot because you wiped the desk down into the carpet after several builds.

VapeG33k

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think I prefer to just use drill bits, Allen keys or roll pin punches of the appropriate size. I already have these and don't see a need to have another thing to carry around with me. I also kinda like the idea of my tools having multiple uses in the name of saving space and money.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
18 gauge (1.22mm), 15 gauge (1.83mm), 10 gauge (3.25mm), 8 gauge (4.06mm), and 6 guage (4.88mm)

Thanks so much for your help!

I just may break down and purcahse one!!

VaporVino

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I used a fly fishing holder to help on some builds, but now I just do it by hand. A small screw held in place works easily. I think I spent $25.00 on my lil rig from Amazon.com. I use 32 gauge wire so maybe it's easier for me to handle than the thicker stuff. It wraps easily and stays as I heat it before twisting. http://www.wapsifly.net/?p=1491

RoofMonkey911

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I use the DarkZero coil jig, but only when I'm redoing Protank coils for friends. It can be a handy device, but some of these things are getting to the point of outrageousness in Price!
It came with Phillips head screws, but found that some old thumbscrews from a computer case fit perfect.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    795.4 KB · Views: 78

VaporVino

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Very nice Daniel, I got a cheap set of magnifiers and I have to hold the darn thing an inch from my face to see it! I am going to get one of those magnifiers on a stand like they use in the spa.

Cessnapix

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
These magnifyers have three lenses so you can adjust your depth of view to have a good range. As long as you dont use the little loop your depth of field is not that bad and the light is adjustable also.

I was looking at the bench type as well and someone recommended these. I am happy with it. It was on sale for $15 on ebay and that was with shipping. The bench type where pretty steep. The magnifyers just flip down. The old style you use to have to swap out the different lenses. With this you can flip one, two, or the third little loop lenses down at the same time.

Slots

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My Gizmo has never been out of the box, I just keep using my little electrical screws.
They make the most perfect, evenly spaced little coils you ever saw.
At least they don't slip around while you winding it like it does (for me) on a drill bit.
And, at my age, the magnifier is a must !

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
wow, alot of my fellow oldertypes. Lots of good info, I am getting tired of starting a wrap and having it slip from my fingers, or standing under a light as I try to wire up a the deck. All the things listed will make my building easier....I hope. Thanks everyone for the links, pictures, experiences.
Us older folks need to stand together...
Vape on....

vape on.jpeg

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After much thought, I cut 6 pieces of 2x4 got several sizes of nails drove a different size nail in each one. Cut the head off the nails. Filed them smooth. But they move. Got a C clamp @ Harbor Fright for .99. 3 bucks well spent.

Henry

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
all physical limitations aside (so this has a good place) i think it takes something away from the art of coiling, lessening the accomplishment of a well tweaked setup

jaytongret

Member For 4 Years
The jig I have always used was a igo screwdriver or a 1/16 punch pin clamped down in a vice.

--John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kang

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just use precision screwdrivers. I suffered from a really bad boxing fracture and have arthritis in my hand because of it. Haven't had a problem gripping the handle of the screw driver and twising the coil.

Henry

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This must for me along with a few blunt tip needles or drill bits. The fixtures are just to expensive and these maganfyers come in handy for so many other things.

$_57.JPG
i gota say i like your idea and just bought me one - Thanks for sharing

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just use precision screwdrivers. I suffered from a really bad boxing fracture and have arthritis in my hand because of it. Haven't had a problem gripping the handle of the screw driver and twising the coil.

That's what I do too. :)

Hand-made twisted 33 gauge (looped wire held by a screwdriver and used a pair of vice-grips to spin it) coil.

7dDpjn9l.jpg

Messy first try at homemade Flat Bastard wire (twisted 33 with 0.8x0.1 ribbonwire) DC set.

bWt3aK6l.jpg

Those are a 1.2 Ω DC set wrapped on a 1.8mm screwdriver.

cnbkU8fl.jpg

oanGTGHl.jpg

Last edited:

VU Sponsors