Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Should We Worry About the Impact of
General Surgery on The Brain?

It's been a major concern for the last 60 years.

But as yet, we still don't know whether surgery harms the brain. And I’m not just talking about brain operations – I mean any kind of surgery. Most of the concern focuses on anesthesia and its effects.

Previous studies have been inconsistent. Some report negative changes; others suggest no effect; one even showed an improvement in cognition.

I thought it was time to try to dig up some reliable evidence. . .

Surgery Doubles Risk of Substantial
Cognitive Decline

A survey carried out by Dr. Robert Sanders and his colleagues at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, found two out of every three members of the public were concerned that surgery could harm their memories.

These findings worried the researchers.

It could lead people to skip medical interventions that could provide a better quality of life because they fear for their cognitive functions.

So to see if this fear is based in reality, Dr. Sanders and his team assessed health data from Whitehall II, a study of 7,532 British civil servants who have been followed for the last 30 years. Participants were aged 35 to 55 at the start of the study and received a regular battery of cognitive tests over most of this period.

After taking into account the expected decline in cognition that comes with aging, the researchers found that major surgery - defined as needing at least a two-night hospital stay - was linked to a small additional decline in cognition equivalent to around five months of aging over the long term.

But get this: The surgery patients were apparently better off compared to those hospitalized for at least two nights for conditions that didn't require surgery. These added 1.4 years of aging. This soared to 13 years for stroke patients.

However, a small number of surgical patients did suffer substantial cognitive decline.

For participants in the study who were never hospitalized, the chances of experiencing a large decline in reasoning, memory and language skills occurred in a small number -- 2.5% -- but this rose to 5.5% for those who had surgery, or as the study authors put it, "the risk of a large cognitive 'hit' is about doubled..."

Again, this proved less of a risk than for non-surgical medical admission where the percentage soared to 12.7.

A Bigger Concern - Non-Surgical Admission

Dr. Sanders commented on the findings:

“Earlier work has shown that a large share of the population fears that surgery may produce cognitive decline. Our analysis reveals a small degree of risk compared to not being admitted, but substantially less than that associated with hospital admissions without surgery.

“Since this is an observational study, we cannot identify surgery as the cause of the small change in cognition. Needing surgery is associated with differences in health that might itself cause cognitive changes, and subjects should weigh the small risk of cognitive decline against the potential health benefits of surgery.”

If surgery does provoke brain injury, Dr. Sanders suggested this could come about through mini-strokes and inflammation experienced during the procedure, while the effect on long term brain function could be influenced by post-operative pain and some medications.

Since the study was concerned with surgery, no details were provided concerning non-surgical admissions (apart from stroke), so we don't know why these patients were admitted or how long they stayed in hospital compared to surgical patients.

What Does It All Mean?

My take on all this is that it’s hard to know what to make of these findings. I’m encouraged to see that surgery does NOT seem to give rise to a huge increase in dementia risk for most patients (at least among British civil servants!)

But I’m concerned that the study found double the risk of large cognitive decline compared to people who had never been in a hospital. Admittedly, only a small percentage of surgical patients saw this catastrophic loss of memory in later years, but for them it looks like it might have been averted if somehow they had been able to avoid surgery.

The really bad news, on the other hand, is for the folks who were hospitalized but did not undergo surgery. For them, the news is dire.

The researchers wrote that non-stroke medical admissions were associated with a "four-fold larger cognitive effect than major surgery."

I’m puzzled as to why a hospital stay for nonsurgical reasons is linked to such a leap in dementia risk. There are so many possible reasons for these hospital admissions – pneumonia, concussion, heart attack, you name it – it’s hard to say what to make of this study.

Hospitals are dangerous places at the best of times; this study reinforces the need to do everything we can to stay in good shape to reduce the chances of ending up in hospital in the first place.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It’s so crazy, and they won’t be put out of business since they’re a huge corporation. So glad we stopped eating factory meat a long time ago. If I do eat meat, it’s from a local farm through Local Harvest. They hook you up with local organic farms (CSA).
I am glad you stopped eating that poison too;) hard to believe any human consumes it:rolleyes:, some don't know the difference:facepalm:, some don't care:eek:.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I am glad you stopped eating that poison too;) hard to believe any human consumes it:rolleyes:, some don't know the difference:facepalm:, some don't care:eek:.

We were buying Perdue, but I won’t eat it anymore since we can order from a few local and/or organic farms. Thankfully, it’s good food and meats.

I thought it ironic that the Tyson gluten free chicken strips had wood in them! Metal wasn’t enough. Shit.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Today's Health Thought:

“Top 15 Things Money Can’t Buy
Time. Happiness. Inner Peace. Integrity. Love. Character. Manners. Health. Respect. Morals. Trust. Patience. Class. Common sense. Dignity.”

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Enhanced Mind States Means Reduced Stress
I don’t think anyone needs persuading of the benefits of meditating these days. I started doing it back in the 1960s, even before the rise of the Maharishi and his Beatles fame.

It’s calming, de-stressing, biologically sound, enhances metabolism, sleep, sex and is just… well, feel good! The science is compelling.

We’d probably all LIKE to meditate regularly.

Trouble is, nobody has that much time any more. Who has 30 years to sit on a mountain top and wrestle with the answers to life, the universe and everything?

mail

This is a photo from a Silly Guru collection I bought

But what if I told you that you can get all the key benefits of meditation in under a half hour? That you could dive INTO a deep meditative state in 7 minutes or less?

Wouldn’t that be great?

Well, you can. Again, there is compelling science that you can get the calming, de-stressing, biologically up-regulating, enhancing metabolism, sleep, sex and the feel good effects, from a simple electronic gizmo!

There are a few around, actually, but I have long ago identified one of the VERY BEST meditation-type gizmos. But before I tell you which one, let’s look at some of that science.

Binaural Beats
Binaural beats are no secret any more, though not many people really understand what that means. They do know it means “brain entrainment” and “brain coherence” (harmonization). Let me explain those two terms instead:

Brain entrainment means the brain will very quickly respond to a supplied frequency, by ADOPTING it! So if we play alpha frequency to the brain (that’s Schuman waves frequency, by the way), the brain starts generating alpha waves and the person relaxes.

You may know of the Silva Mind Control method, which is really all about training to enter the alpha state, where magic and “manifesting” starts to happen.

Coherence is when all of the brain adopts the same frequency: right and left brain hemispheres beat (vibrate) at the same rate.

Put both these unusual states together and magic does really start to happen. People relax, blood pressure comes down, deep intuitive insights take place, artistic people (like writers and painters) get more creative, there’s more sex, better sex, better memory, serotonin levels go up, cortisol levels drop…. Need I go on? It’s AMAZING!

But we can make it better. By adding flashing lights frequencies the effect becomes even more powerful. It’s called photic driving. Think of a flickering, murmuring wood fire and how that sends you to sleep: that’s photic driving at work.

Add some divine music and really creative “mind walks” (like going off into fantasy land to find King Arthur, or Atlantis) and you’ll see right away a formula for health and transformation like no other!

The device I’m talking about is called the Kasina. I have more than one and they are wonderful. One is right by my bed, because it works wonders if you have trouble getting to sleep (falling asleep means dropping into brain alpha, then theta waves, then finally delta waves, where you are snoring soundly).

I LOVE my Kasina and I want you to try one too. Please go forward to this page and read more about how to transform your health and cognitive parameters (oh yes, did I say that? More acetyl choline secretions, for better memory).

Mind over matter, remember!

Go to this page to see a short video on how it looks and how to use it: http://www.alternative-doctor.com/enhancedmindpower/

I myself did some of the mind walks (my voice). People seem to like the soothing sound!

AND REMEMBER: MEDITIAVE STATES IN 7 MINUTES, NOT 30 YEARS!

See you in Nirvana (just kidding),

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I love this, Jimi. Thanks! I’m broke this weekend and needed to hear this. :hug:
I am so glad it made yuo feel a little better, sorry you're havin the money blues:(. I almost posted this in the music game to cheer up Bella cause she's havin the money blues. I didn't know you were too:sad:. I don't think she's been to this thread.:rolleyes:

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Enhanced Mind States Means Reduced Stress
I don’t think anyone needs persuading of the benefits of meditating these days. I started doing it back in the 1960s, even before the rise of the Maharishi and his Beatles fame.

It’s calming, de-stressing, biologically sound, enhances metabolism, sleep, sex and is just… well, feel good! The science is compelling.

We’d probably all LIKE to meditate regularly.

Trouble is, nobody has that much time any more. Who has 30 years to sit on a mountain top and wrestle with the answers to life, the universe and everything?

mail

This is a photo from a Silly Guru collection I bought

But what if I told you that you can get all the key benefits of meditation in under a half hour? That you could dive INTO a deep meditative state in 7 minutes or less?

Wouldn’t that be great?

Well, you can. Again, there is compelling science that you can get the calming, de-stressing, biologically up-regulating, enhancing metabolism, sleep, sex and the feel good effects, from a simple electronic gizmo!

There are a few around, actually, but I have long ago identified one of the VERY BEST meditation-type gizmos. But before I tell you which one, let’s look at some of that science.

Binaural Beats
Binaural beats are no secret any more, though not many people really understand what that means. They do know it means “brain entrainment” and “brain coherence” (harmonization). Let me explain those two terms instead:

Brain entrainment means the brain will very quickly respond to a supplied frequency, by ADOPTING it! So if we play alpha frequency to the brain (that’s Schuman waves frequency, by the way), the brain starts generating alpha waves and the person relaxes.

You may know of the Silva Mind Control method, which is really all about training to enter the alpha state, where magic and “manifesting” starts to happen.

Coherence is when all of the brain adopts the same frequency: right and left brain hemispheres beat (vibrate) at the same rate.

Put both these unusual states together and magic does really start to happen. People relax, blood pressure comes down, deep intuitive insights take place, artistic people (like writers and painters) get more creative, there’s more sex, better sex, better memory, serotonin levels go up, cortisol levels drop…. Need I go on? It’s AMAZING!

But we can make it better. By adding flashing lights frequencies the effect becomes even more powerful. It’s called photic driving. Think of a flickering, murmuring wood fire and how that sends you to sleep: that’s photic driving at work.

Add some divine music and really creative “mind walks” (like going off into fantasy land to find King Arthur, or Atlantis) and you’ll see right away a formula for health and transformation like no other!

The device I’m talking about is called the Kasina. I have more than one and they are wonderful. One is right by my bed, because it works wonders if you have trouble getting to sleep (falling asleep means dropping into brain alpha, then theta waves, then finally delta waves, where you are snoring soundly).

I LOVE my Kasina and I want you to try one too. Please go forward to this page and read more about how to transform your health and cognitive parameters (oh yes, did I say that? More acetyl choline secretions, for better memory).

Mind over matter, remember!

Go to this page to see a short video on how it looks and how to use it: http://www.alternative-doctor.com/enhancedmindpower/

I myself did some of the mind walks (my voice). People seem to like the soothing sound!

AND REMEMBER: MEDITIAVE STATES IN 7 MINUTES, NOT 30 YEARS!

See you in Nirvana (just kidding),

I listen to binaural and other relaxing music on YT. Try the Meditative Mind channel, really nice beats and chants.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I am so glad it made yuo feel a little better, sorry you're havin the money blues:(. I almost posted this in the music game to cheer up Bella cause she's havin the money blues. I didn't know you were too:sad:. I don't think she's been to this thread.:rolleyes:

I forgot about Columbus Day! I was going to deposit some money. Sigh.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One article two posts

Keeping Healthy and Preventing Cancer
is All a Matter of Timing

Round the clock stimulation from screens and the light they emit. Late night TV. Inadequate amounts of sleep. Snacking at all hours.

These and other lifestyle factors disrupt ancient, deeply ingrained biological processes -- our internal body clocks and the circadian rhythms they control.

This disruption has been linked to diseases ranging from Alzheimer's to ulcerative colitis. Cancer is among them.

You can restore your body’s natural rhythms and boost your health with a few simple lifestyle changes. Yes, you need to turn out the lights, turn off the screens, and go to bed at a reasonable hour.

But there’s more to it than that….

You don’t have to fly across several times zones to get jet lag. Nearly nine out of ten of us suffer from social jet lag, a condition caused by living a lifestyle that’s out of synch with our natural sleep-wake cycle.

Scientists have found that virtually every aspect of our life is rhythmic, and we are programmed to go through specific rhythms on a daily basis.

This internal timing system, called the circadian rhythm, interacts with the times of day when light enters our eyes, and even the times of day when we eat, to create our daily rhythms.

To everything there is a time

Humans were around for a few hundred thousand years before there were light bulbs, not to mention screens. When it’s dark our bodies are programmed to be asleep, and when the sun rises we’re supposed to be up and around.

Since the body would be overwhelmed if it carried out all its activities at once, each one has a specific time. This allows biological functions to be optimized.

For instance, before we wake up, the sleep hormone melatonin starts to shut down, while breathing, heart beat and blood pressure pick up a little.

During daylight, immune response improves and muscles are primed for activity. After dark a whole range of other activities either kick in or slow down.

Melatonin – the “sleep hormone” – is at a low point first thing in the morning and builds steadily during the day to reach a peak when it’s bedtime. Our energy or wakefulness hormone, cortisol, has the opposite cycle. Cortisol is a low point when we go to bed, and its level rises steadily through the night to reach a peak in the morning. Exposure to light in the middle of the night or to darkness during the day disrupts this natural process.”

While circadian rhythms are influenced by light, the timing they follow is under the control of genes. Every single gene in our genome has a circadian cycle, with thousands turning on and off at different times in different organs in a synchronized manner to optimize cell function.

Cellular energy, maintenance, repair, division, secretion and communication all occur in a cyclical manner.

Your body’s master clock

Standing at the summit of this process is the suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN), a small cluster of cells located in the brain's hypothalamus that act as the master clock.

It receives information that morning light has entered the eyes and shares it with the liver clock, the heart clock, the gut clock and every other clock in the body. These organs then create their own circadian rhythms. The SCN is also connected to the hunger center in the brain.

Among the variety of circadian rhythms, there are three that stand out. These are related to when you eat, when and how much you sleep, and when and how often you engage in physical activity.

Fortunately, all three are under our control, although in the real world – the modern one we live in -- optimizing the timing of these activities may be hard to achieve depending on people's domestic, work and travel schedules. We'll come back to the most favorable timing of meals, sleep and exercise in a minute.

Shift workers have weaker immune systems

Like all our organs, the immune system has a circadian component, and disruptions to our core rhythms will cause it to function less well, making us more susceptible to infections and disease, and slowing recovery from illness.

People who have to work the night shift experience a profound disruption in their relation to natural light, meals and sleep. Studies show they have much more fragile immune systems. They not only have a higher cancer rate, but they’re also more prone to bacterial infections, gastric and duodenal ulcers, inflammatory bowel disease, cardiovascular disease, and arthritis.

In 2007, The International Agency for Research on Cancer declared shift work to be "probably carcinogenic" and several large studies have linked this disruption to various cancers.

Night workers suffer more breast, prostate cancer

The Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle found that "Graveyard shiftwork was associated with increased breast cancer risk with a trend of increased risk with increasing years and with more hours per week of graveyard shiftwork."1

A separate study found nurses on long-term rotating night shifts had a marked increase in the risk of breast cancer. Similar findings were obtained for prostate cancer risk in night shift workers.2

In a 30-year study of 161,000 women, those who worked a rotating schedule had a 27% increased risk of fatal ovarian cancer compared to those on fixed daytime work.3

Researchers from the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston found that "Women working rotating night shifts for a long duration have a significantly increased risk of endometrial cancer."4

Another group from Brigham and Women's and Harvard found that nurses working a rotating night shift at least three nights a month for 15 or more years had a significantly increased risk of colorectal cancer.5

Laboratory research in rodents supports human studies. Circadian disruption kicks off the cancer process and increases tumor growth.

How a disrupted body clock disrupts your health

A malfunctioning internal clock causes immune imbalance, where some types of immune cell are overproduced while others are deficient.

The circadian clock also regulates basic defense mechanisms within all cells such as the control of oxidative stress (free radicals). It acts as a sensor for excess free radicals and co-ordinates antioxidant defense mechanisms.

Autophagy, the process by which cellular garbage is disposed of or recycled, is also regulated by a clock.

If oxidative stress is not controlled and the autophagy system is under par, the body can resort to an emergency defense system to neutralize cellular damage and stress, but this causes chronic inflammation and compromises other essential body functions.

A mouse study found that when a protein that’s a core clock component was removed, every cell behaved as if it was under attack and produced a state of chronic inflammation.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Part two

hortens telomeres – and your life

A body clock that's out of sync not only increases oxidative stress, limits autophagy and promotes inflammation, but has other negative consequences.

It reduces the length of telomeres, found at the end of chromosomes. This has been shown to increase the risk of breast cancer – and, in general, shorter telomeres correlate with a reduced life span.

When the body’s clock is off, immune system surveillance becomes compromised, allowing cancer cells to escape and grow to form tumors.

Metabolism speeds up, too. This fuels cancer growth.

There's more: the body loses some of its ability to repair DNA damage, which increases the chances of developing cancer.

Since many cancer-related cellular processes -- the cell cycle, cell proliferation, cell suicide (apoptosis), DNA damage -- are influenced by the circadian clock, you’d expect disruption to this system, such as found in shift workers, to have detrimental effects.

Medications work better when the timing is right

Patients’ ability to tolerate nearly 500 medications was shown to improve by as much as fivefold when matched to the circadian system.

This also applies to chemotherapy. The first study to demonstrate this -- over 30 years ago -- found mistiming drugs led to much more severe chemo side effects. This has been confirmed in many other studies.

The same probably applies to surgery as well. A mouse study found regrowth of the liver differed considerably depending on whether the surgery took place in the morning or afternoon.

Mice given total body irradiation in the morning lost 80% of their hair. Others undergoing the same procedure in the evening lost only 20% of their hair.

Because tumors have poorly functioning clocks, scientists recently came up with the idea to develop drugs that bind to clock molecules to restore healthy function. In 2017, Canadian scientists found that clock gene expression could be restored in melanoma cells and tumors.

Glioblastoma (brain cancer) cells implanted into mice grew aggressively. But other mice receiving a “clock-modifying drug” saw remarkably reduced tumor growth and survived longer. The clock drug was more effective than the standard drug used to treat brain cancer.

Change your daily routine

Our physiology is largely the same as it was in our ancestors two million years ago, so our internal clocks are out of sync with the society we live in today.

If we want a strong immune system and a reduced risk of cancer and other health problems, we need to make a few lifestyle tweaks to send us back a little in time.

Professor Satchin Panda, a leading expert in the field of circadian rhythm research at the Salk Institute in San Diego, writes in his book The Circadian Code that "to have predictable circadian rhythms is to have healthy organs" and that "repeatedly disrupting your circadian clock can have adverse health consequences, as every system in your body starts to malfunction."6

To bring circadian rhythms back into line he suggests the following:

Sleep: Go to bed around 10 PM or so and aim for seven to eight hours consecutive sleep. The brain takes many minutes to unwind, so shut off all devices well before bedtime and limit or dim artificial light as much as possible during the evening. Bedroom temperature should be 70º or lower.

Wake up naturally, without the help of an alarm clock, and get some bright light immediately after waking. Follow this pattern every day including weekends. Personally, I find I don’t need an alarm. I set one to be safe, but I always wake up before it goes off.

Exercise: When not eating or sleeping the body was designed for movement, so keep active, move as much as you can, and only sit for short periods at a time. Physical activity also improves sleep.

Our ancestors were active all day but especially early morning and late afternoon/early evening, so these are preferred times. Exercise outdoors and soak up the light for best results. If you exercise indoors, do it by a window.

Meals/drinks: If eating, including snacks, takes place over a period of more than 12 hours on regular days, Dr. Panda has some good news:

"You have something to work on, and it will have one of the biggest impacts on your health for the rest of your life...People who eat all of their food within an eight to eleven hour window most days will reap the most benefits."

It's also important not to eat or drink anything (apart from water) at least three hours before bedtime.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
On Tuesday, October 15 at 5:00pm PT (8:00pm ET), we’re hosting another action-packed FREE webinar for you to clear up the confusion about cholesterol and tell you everything you need to know.

Understanding cholesterol metabolism can be super confusing, and may leave you wondering the answer to these questions:

• Does my dietary cholesterol affect my blood cholesterol?
  • Why are my triglycerides on the rise?
  • Why is my HDL cholesterol low?
  • What is the difference between large, fluffy LDL and small, dense LDL?
Cholesterol 101: Understanding the Science Behind Triglycerides, HDL, and LDL Cholesterol

In this webinar we’ll help you understand:

• Whether cholesterol in your food actually affects cholesterol in your blood
  • How to interpret your lipid panel with confidence
  • Is large, fluffy LDL cholesterol actually protective against heart disease?
  • Why your HDL cholesterol isn’t as important as you may think
  • How your diet can help you reduce or avoid your need for cholesterol-lowering medication
  • Understanding why some people’s triglyceride levels increase whereas others triglyceride levels decrease following a low-fat, plant-based, whole-food diet

We want you to learn how to gain full control over your cholesterol metabolism using your food as medicine, based on the latest scientific evidence.

Register for the webinar today to sit in the driver’s seat of your cardiovascular health!

Register for the Webinar!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Some “Magic Words” have Health Benefits –
But Not the Words You’d Think

Encouraging words can have powerful effects.

For instance, halftime inspirational pep talks by sports coaches are famous for getting athletes to improve their performance.

But now medical researchers have found that other types of words can help you alter your own physiology and brain function. They can make you measurably stronger and less susceptible to the debilitating effects of pain.

So what are these magic words? Prepare to be surprised. . .

According to these scientists, the magic words that can improve your muscle power and tolerance for pain are. . .swear words. Studies show that, used at the proper moments, swearing can increase your strength along with your ability to withstand discomfort. And the effect has been measured in the lab.

When researchers at Keele University in England tested bicyclists pedaling furiously on exercise bikes, they found that when the athletes swore they improved their endurance for going all out during a sprint. And then when the researchers tested the strength of people’s hand grip, they found that swearing also ups grip strength.1

Other studies have found the same thing applies to pain – showing there’s a good analgesic reason people cuss and shout when they hurt themselves.

For example, in further research at Keele, a test of how long folks could keep their hands submerged in painfully cold water indicated that cursing at the hurt reduces the perception of discomfort and increases the ability to withstand the pain for a longer time.2

An Unsolved Mystery, and Another Weird Benefit

But there’s one big mystery about these increases in power. It’s not clear why they occur.

"So quite why it is that swearing has these effects on strength and pain tolerance remains to be discovered,” admits researcher Richard Stephens. “We have yet to understand the power of swearing fully."

Another intriguing characteristic researchers have linked to swearing is honesty.

According to a study coordinated among institutions in the US, England and Hong Kong, people who indulge in profanity lie less often.

These scientists point out that although using swear words can be inappropriate in many circumstances, nowadays this type of language is often employed by performers to win over audiences and be entertaining.

Says researcher David Stillwell, who teaches at the University of Cambridge, “The relationship between profanity and dishonesty is a tricky one. Swearing is often inappropriate but it can also be evidence that someone is telling you their honest opinion. Just as they aren't filtering their language to be more palatable, they're also not filtering their views."

Naughty Words, Greater Honesty

In one part of these tests, more than 270 people were quizzed about their use of swear words. This part of the study showed extra swear words were connected to language patterns that indicate greater honesty.

And in another section of the research, the scientists analyzed data from 75,000 Facebook users and again found that use of more profanity was linked to language patterns reflecting honesty.3

The study also found that people living in the northeast part of the country – including Connecticut, Delaware, New Jersey and New York – swear a lot more often than folks in the southeast – including South Carolina, Arkansas, Tennessee and Mississippi.

Now, I’m not telling you to go around swearing 24/7. As a matter of fact, that can be counterproductive. According to another study at Keele, if you swear too much, the habit loses its effectiveness as a painkiller and strength enhancer.4

So you should probably save your swear words for those special occasions when the hammer lands on your finger or you’re trying to open one of those tightly sealed jars that just won’t give. Though you’ll still need a painkiller, of course, if the pain persists.

VU Sponsors