Become a Patron!

Jimi's Daily Health Articles

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Humankind has been living in harmony with the cycles and rhythms of the Earth since the dawn of time. Our ancestors weren't able to simply turn up the heat in their homes or take a vacation to a warmer region.

They adapted to the colder winter months through their keen observation of the natural world, which included using particular herbs to keep the body healthy.

Today, I want to share 3 "go-to" winter herbs that have been used for millennia to protect and nourish you during the cold months.

3 Delicious Winter Herbs And How To Take Them

1) Ginger

Ginger was first cultivated and studied in Asia, but soon became introduced to trading routes with Europe. This is a timeless herb that offers countless healing abilities and was regarded by our ancestors as a "heal all."

Ginger is potent, powerful and pungent -- the perfect herb to help you stay vibrant during the darkest nights of winter. It is considered to be warming to the body and has specific healing abilities that are very helpful this time of year, including:

• Fighting infection and flu symptoms like sore throat, chills, and congestion
  • Combating pain and inflammation
  • Calming and healing the digestive system
There are numerous ways to incorporate ginger into your everyday life. Try easy things like:

• A decoction (strong tea made by boiling fresh root in water for an extended amount of time)
  • Adding it to cooking broth, seasonings or in baking
2) Cinnamon

Cinnamon is a pillar in Traditional Chinese Medicine that spread to Europe and Egypt. It was once valued as more precious than silver. But nowadays, it's just another seasoning on the spice rack.

Though cinnamon is usually thought of as a culinary herb, it is very medicinal.

Like ginger, cinnamon has the ability to get the blood flowing and warm you up quickly. This warming quality is the spearhead for the rest of cinnamon's healing qualities. It also:

• Fights pain and inflammation
  • Promotes proper digestive flow
Other amazing effects of using cinnamon are:

• Lower blood sugar
  • Holistic oral care
It is incredibly easy to integrate a healthy dose of cinnamon into your diet. Simple things like:

• Drinking more chai tea
  • Mixing some into your honey jar
  • Brushing your teeth with powdered cinnamon
3) Clove

Clove was originally grown on the Spice Islands of Indonesia but was popularized when China traded it with the western world.

This powerful herb has rich volatile oils that:

• Boost immunity by fighting bacteria, fungus and viruses
  • Loosen up tight muscles
  • Numb pain when applied topically
  • Open up the lungs and loosen up mucus
Clove is a very versatile herb that can be helpful to you in 3 different preparations:

• Internally: brew a strong cup of chai tea
  • Externally: make some massage oil
  • Aromatically: diffuse clove essential oil or boil cloves in a pot to humidify your home
I hope you find a treasure trove of winter wellness in the remedies above. Nothing warms the heart and lifts the spirit like the powerful traditions of those who came before us.

Stay curious,

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I’ve got the perfect productivity hack, “one-little-trick,” natural adaptogen stack for this new decade:

The daily walk.

Walking will boost your productivity. It will stimulate blood flow to and throughout the brain, literally improving cognitive function. Physical movement through the environment stimulates and mimics mental movement through problems, divining solutions, exploring new mental territory. Take a walk and you’ll often think of a new way around an existing problem.

Walking is adaptogenic.

Feeling anxious, overwhelmed with stress, unsure of how to proceed? Go for a walk and you’ll feel better.

Feeling lazy, like you want to sink into the couch, unable to proceed? Go for a walk and you’ll gain more energy.

Just ate a big meal and need to adapt to the rising glucose levels? Go for a walk and they’ll normalize.

Your kids cooped up indoors and acting out? Take them on a walk and their behavior will improve.

Joints too stiff, creaky? Walking is lubrication.

Joints feel unsteady, unstable, too lax for lifting? Going for a walk will get you aligned.

Walking will burn fat. It will help you lean out. Do it before a lifting session and you’ll feel more mobile and prepared to stress your body.

Walk after a lifting session and you’ll burn more of the liberated fatty acids.

Work a daily walk into your “stack” this new year if you do nothing else.

For those of you who take a walk every day, what do you get out of it? What have you noticed? For those of you who don’t, what are you waiting for?

Let me know in the comment board of Friday's Weekly Link Love.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I’ve got the perfect productivity hack, “one-little-trick,” natural adaptogen stack for this new decade:

The daily walk.

Walking will boost your productivity. It will stimulate blood flow to and throughout the brain, literally improving cognitive function. Physical movement through the environment stimulates and mimics mental movement through problems, divining solutions, exploring new mental territory. Take a walk and you’ll often think of a new way around an existing problem.

Walking is adaptogenic.

Feeling anxious, overwhelmed with stress, unsure of how to proceed? Go for a walk and you’ll feel better.

Feeling lazy, like you want to sink into the couch, unable to proceed? Go for a walk and you’ll gain more energy.

Just ate a big meal and need to adapt to the rising glucose levels? Go for a walk and they’ll normalize.

Your kids cooped up indoors and acting out? Take them on a walk and their behavior will improve.

Joints too stiff, creaky? Walking is lubrication.

Joints feel unsteady, unstable, too lax for lifting? Going for a walk will get you aligned.

Walking will burn fat. It will help you lean out. Do it before a lifting session and you’ll feel more mobile and prepared to stress your body.

Walk after a lifting session and you’ll burn more of the liberated fatty acids.

Work a daily walk into your “stack” this new year if you do nothing else.

For those of you who take a walk every day, what do you get out of it? What have you noticed? For those of you who don’t, what are you waiting for?

Let me know in the comment board of Friday's Weekly Link Love.

Good idea! Thanks. I haven’t been walking enough lately.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You’ve probably heard a lot in the media about the benefits of cleansing or detoxification. What is a cleanse, is it something you should do for your own health, and does it work?

A cleanse and a detox are essentially the same thing.

The idea is to help your body remove harmful bacteria, heavy metals, and other pollutants that cause your liver to work sluggishly. There are many methods from pills to teas to juices that profess to boost detoxification.

Yes, Your Body Detoxifies Naturally

You already have an incredible system in place to remove contaminants from your blood and tissue. These organs are working every second of every day to keep you safe from any pollutant you inhale, ingest, or comes in contact with your skin.

The components of your internal detox system…

• Lungs
  • Skin
  • Kidneys
  • Liver
  • Intestines
  • Lymphatic system
A few decades ago, no one talked about cleansing and detoxifying because these systems were keeping up just fine with removing toxins.

Admittedly, a lot has changed for humans in regard to diet, lifestyle, and daily habits in the past 40 years. People living today are exposed to more toxins in the form of synthetic chemicals, heavy metals, food manufacturing additives, pharmaceutical drugs, and so much more than any other period in history.

Pollution of the soil, air, and water is higher than ever as well and in some areas, the level of contaminants and impurities in the water supply is so bad that it’s life-threatening.

Your personal detoxification system still works, still protects you. However, unless you live a completely natural existence from your clothing to your food to your cleaning supplies, you’re still at risk for toxic overload.

A Helping Hand – Not a Substitute

The benefits of cleansing are not meant to take the place of natural detoxification processes. Nothing works as efficiently as the human body itself in defeating bacteria, viruses, and so forth.

What if your entire life is toxic? The levels of exposure to harmful pollutants in our modern world may be more than your body can handle. Too much of any substance can’t be processed by your system and it ends up being stored.

Over time, these substances have been proven to bio-accumulate in your tissues, gradually building up to dangerous levels over time. This is the case with acetaminophen, parabens, pesticides, asbestos, mercury, some plastics, lead, and many others. Overwhelmed, normal cellular functions can stumble or be interrupted altogether. This can lead to systemic inflammation, autoimmune disease, metabolic dysfunction, hormone imbalance, and even increase your risk of cancer.

It is possible to give your system a boost, a helping hand in dealing with the overwhelming amount of junk chemicals it deals with every day.

The benefits of cleansing are not a “cure” to anything and it’s not a weight loss tool. It’s mainly about flushing your bowels of built-up garbage.

It can provide a bit of a rest for your system, a way to get your natural detoxification processes back on track, and put your body back in balance.

Cleansing Benefits That May Surprise You

Over the years, I’ve tried several forms of detoxification. There are some that my mind rejects outright and I’ve never attempted personally (high colonics are one of these).

I prefer recipes I can create in my home with natural ingredients. Stuff you find on the market isn’t consistent and often contains chemical additives and diuretics I don’t want. When you create it yourself, you know exactly what’s in it.

Every few months, if I notice I feel tired more than usual, achy, bloated, or as if I might be coming down with something, I’ll plan a detox day.

Note: If you decide to do a cleanse, your day is booked. Don’t go anywhere. Don’t have company over. Stay close to a bathroom.

Again, while you might lose a couple of pounds due to water and bowel movements – this is not about weight loss! You’re likely going to gain those pounds right back so don’t get excited!

A normal cleanse day for me means light foods with high-water content such as salads, soups, and fruits. I do not fast but I don’t eat or drink anything processed. I love summer detoxes best because I have delicious watermelon, peaches, figs, and nectarines.

Here’s the recipe I use at home when I need some cleansing benefits. I modified it from one I found by Dr. Axe. It’s simple, natural, and fresh. No crazy ingredients or ridiculous fasting required.

A Gentle I am a spammer ban me

Ingredients

• 1½ cups apple juice
  • 1 lemon (well-juiced)
  • 1½ teaspoons ginger (fresh or powdered)
  • 2 teaspoons raw honey
  • 1½ teaspoons sea salt
  • 1½ cups water
Directions

• Warm water in a saucepan but do not boil (it should be cool enough to drink quickly).
  • Turn off the heat.
  • Add all other ingredients and stir thoroughly.
  • Pour a 1-cup portion and drink before your first meal of the day.
  • This recipe makes 3 cups for three individual servings. Make them all in the morning and reheat for later meals.
Drink one cup before each meal and try to keep them light with a high fluid concentration (broth-based soups, fruits, and salads are best). Make sure you drink plain or infused water throughout the day as well.

This is a gentle cleanse but it will let you know when you need to go to the bathroom. I don’t take the last dose after 4pm (for obvious reasons).

After a cleanse, I feel “lighter” on the inside, clear-headed, and energetic. That may not seem like much but it’s a lot for me. I can literally feel the difference in cognition and clarity – the two most critical functions I need at the top of their game.

Boost your internal detoxification system every day with these 5 habits…

1. Drink plenty of water.
  2. Practice stretching and deep breathing.
  3. Make sure you get plenty of fruits and veggies in your diet.
  4. Get at least 7 hours of quality sleep each night.
  5. Be consistent.
At the end of the day, the success of detoxification depends on how much gunk you have inside you. If you smoke, get colds often, or eat a lot of your meals from boxes, bags, or drive-thrus, you might experience even more benefits from a cleanse.

It’s not a cure-all. Cleansing is a gentle way to help bring your body in balance. Anyone who tells you differently is not being entirely honest.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
med17.gif

chiro-16.gif

chiro-14.gif

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
There is a French grape seed extract I think it's an exclusive made by just one company that I have seen so far but it boasts something like 50 X the resveratrol as standard grape seed extract.

The one in mine is called Bio Vin, which supposedly is a French red wine grape extract. Who knows? It’s by Doctors Best, and it was affordable, so it may just be meh.

I’ve got another resveratrol with grape seed extract and knot weed extract. It’s pretty good.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Since 1900 There Has Never Been A High Blood Pressure Medication Without Dangerous Side Effects... And There Never Will Be
If you take medications for high blood pressure you're rolling the dice on your life
The first medication to control high blood pressure was called sodium thiocyanate, created back in 1900. It's actually a compound mixture of salts and cyanide. It was found to dramatically reduce blood pressure, but also came with a price - life threatening side effects.

Today, over 50,000 Americans die every year because of hypertension (high blood pressure). And now, more than ever, high blood pressure medications are being doled out to us like children touring a candy factory. These meds appear to have come a long way since 1900... but have they?

Not cyanide, but...

It's a drug called Nitropress®. It's a far removed cousin of the old sodium thiocyanate. And it too has been shown to significantly lower blood pressure...

But some of the side effects of this injection drug are:

• Confusion and tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
  • Gasping for a breath - or breathing that stops altogether
  • Extreme light-headedness - even while horizontal
  • Fainting
  • Hyperventilating, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and possible seizure
If you don't take this clearly dangerous injection, then you're safe...or are you?

Fact is, there has never been a high blood pressure medication without dangerous side effects - and there never will be...

Where do you turn when the cure is just as deadly as the disease?
Warning: the following information can be shocking. If you have any reservations about knowing the truth regarding Big Pharma blood pressure medicines, please skip ahead to the next section

You want to be able to trust that your health care professional has your best interests in mind... for you and your family. Truth is, Big Pharma plays a major role in how much "care" they can offer you.

See, the medical industry is governed by the FDA and the pharmaceutical companies that produce the drugs designed to save lives. Looks good on paper...

But the fact of the matter is there are Big Bucks to be made from suffering.

And they know it.

That's why they make the drugs that do - in fact - serve to reduce illness and diseases. That's the good news. The bad news is these medicines come with a price higher than their astronomical cost - dangerous, even life-threatening side effects. Especially when you take multiple drugs for multiple health problems.

When they give you the warnings about drug interactions and possible debilitating side effects - pay close attention! They tell you this for a reason. All too many folks just like you regard these warnings as necessary disclaimers and go through life thinking it can't happen to them. Think again.

Here are just a few things you need to worry about when taking the most common high blood pressure medicines:

• Diuretics - these seemingly harmless "water pills" cause an increase in urination and are designed to lower blood pressure by eliminating excess water and salt in the urine. This makes it easier for your heart to pump. They carry the common names of Zaroxolyn and Esidrix. The problem is that they deplete your body of much needed nutrients that also flow out when you urinate. These drugs produce undesirable side effects like frequent urination, dehydration, lethargy, cramps and weakness. More serious (and dangerous) to your health are fever, sore throat, dizziness, blurred vision and arrhythmia (abnormal heart beat).
  • Beta Blockers - designed to block the flow of adrenaline, they can successfully lower blood pressure by opening the blood vessels for easier blood flow, and can reduce the speed and force of your heartbeat. Some common side effects are dizziness, feeling faint, and cold or swollen hands and feet. In patients with diabetes, these can also "block" the warning signs of low blood-sugar levels. Less common, but all too real, are wheezing and shortness of breath. Beta Blockers can narrow air passages, making it difficult to breath. If you're taking Propanolol, Acebutolol, Metaprolol, Bisoprolol, or Nebivolol - you're at risk.
  • Alpha Blockers - Flomax®, Cardura®, Uroxatral®, and Hytrin® are all Alpha Blockers. They lower your blood pressure by blocking chemical messages sent by blood vessels. They can also cause hair loss, runny nose, dizziness, pounding headaches, extreme weakness, weight gain, and can surge bad cholesterol, putting your heart at risk of failure. Also, a sudden drop in blood pressure caused by these medicines brings the warning against driving or "performing dangerous tasks" until you know how they will affect you.
  • Vasodilators - high blood pressure is marked by a contraction of the blood vessels, inhibiting blood flow and making your heart work harder to perform. So it makes sense to use a dilator to relax those smooth muscles and open up the passages. However, the usual problems are associated with their use - dizziness, headaches, nausea and vomiting. But these can also cause diarrhea, and loss of appetite (which they swear is temporary). More serious are the side effects they want you to see your doctor for: unusual change in appearance - rashes, skin tone changes - fainting, fluid retention, pain in joints or back, weakness, unusual bleeding, abnormal heart beat, mood changes, and weight gain.
Most of these drugs are prescribed together. Many times, one is prescribed to cancel out the dangerous side effects of another. Do you really want to put that kind of stress on your body?

Seems not much has changed since that fateful day back in 1900 when the first high blood pressure "cure" was invented. At least , not until now...

Luckily, you don't have to rely on a myriad of drugs to lower your blood pressure while altering your body's natural chemistry. Meet Joe Barton... He publishes the secrets to healthy living that lower your blood pressure - naturally.

Because Joe Barton is renowned for his deep-rooted passion in natural cures of common diseases - and, whenever possible, avoiding unsafe, modern medicine. Joe knows first-hand about the dangers of conventional treatments. Joe's father almost died from severe acid reflux after a botched ulcer surgery.

That fateful event led Joe on a mission to discover and publish the information that unlocks the secrets of truly healthy living...with no dangerous drugs and their side-effects.

See, Joe discovered that high blood pressure affects 1 in 4 adults and if left untreated, can be one of the deadliest "silent" killers in the world. From past experiences, Joe knows what ill health can do to a family and he could never imagine leaving his wife and children alone.

He knew through extensive research about the dangers of Big Pharma meds to control this killer...so he looked for a better way. What he found is that you can lower your blood pressure and keep it right where it needs to be completely by combining the right healthy foods - no harmful drugs or dangerous "pill popping." Sounds too good to be true; but, thankfully, it's not.

Joe made it his personal mission to avoid the cure that's worse than the disease.

One glorious day he discovered a solution that can shave points off your blood pressure numbers with nothing but natural remedies and treatments - and no financial extortion by the Big Pharma Mob.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail

Surefire Ways to Irritate your Back

New year, new back?

Probably not. You’ll have to start writing “2020” on all of your paperwork now, but other than adjusting to a new decade, everything else will likely feel the same.

Including your aching back. We’ve written before about ways to ease chronic back pain by stretching, especially addressing the shocking number of people with back pain in America - 80%.

Once your back hurts, you stop thinking about what you can do to prevent it from hurting and focus only on what you can do to make it hurt less now.

Today, in light of the new year, we’re going to talk about common behaviors that are sure to cause tension, inflammation, dull throbbing pain, aches, tightness, and other musculoskeletal issues.

Let’s take a moment to take a look at how the back is structured...

Vertebra by Vertebra

The upper and middle back consist of 12 vertebrae, which are all connected to your ribcage. Each vertebra is separated by a disc, which is designed to absorb shock as you move. Muscles and ligaments keep the discs and vertebrae connected.

Because the upper and middle back is so well protected, this section of the back isn’t the one causing people the most trouble.

It’s the lower back.

Called the lumbar vertebrae, there are 5 irregular shaped vertebrae which connect to the upper and middle back, and to the sacral and coccygeal regions with their vertebrae (the tailbone area of the back.)

The lower back is the most commonly irritated part of the back, and there are quite a few behavioral adjustments we can consider to treat the lower back more kindly.

Adjustment #1

Stand up.

Bend over, come back up.

Reach high, then to the left, then to the right.

Don’t sit down again. Take a walk. Barefoot, if you can.

You see, moving helps circulate blood through the discs between your vertebrae. When you sit or you’re idle, you’re preventing fluid from circulating through the discs, and thus they don’t receive any nutrition. So sitting, lying down, or standing still are not great for your back.

Worst of all is sitting and leaning forward. This position locks your pelvis and puts pressure on the section of the spine where the discs are located.

You want to relieve pressure on the discs of your spine.

Sit up straight, but whenever possible, get moving.

Adjustment #2

When previously active people try to get back into exercising, they often overdo it by trying to accomplish what their fitter former selves could have done.

Here’s a tip: if you’re trying to get back into exercising, especially if you’re concerned about your back due to excessive sedentary activities or previous injuries, focus on the obliques.

The obliques are the set of abdominal muscles on your sides. Try exercising the obliques through the use of an exercise ball.

Do sit ups on the ball, sit on it instead of your chair at work, at home, whenever you can.

Ease your way back into working out by starting at the obliques.

Adjustment #3

Engage more in your daily tasks.

The reason so many back injuries occur, and so much long term damage is done, from simple household chores, like taking out the trash or folding laundry, is that people aren’t paying attention.

Bending the wrong way - without engaging your core - can twist and irritate your back as much as if you’d thrown it out lifting something heavy.

Be present whether you’re standing, sitting, lounging, washing dishes, or picking a sock up off the floor.

Adjustment #4

Eat well.

This may come as a surprise, but every system in your body is connected to every other system. So when you eat junk food, spicy food, fast food, and other meals devoid of nutrients, you’re adding stress to your nervous system.

But if you’re eating well - lots of fruits and vegetables - then your digestive system is running as it should and the discomfort you experience in your lower back will decrease as a result.

Irritated bowels and irritated backs are tandem aches, often times.

Watch out for your back - a herniated disc is a much bigger problem to contend with than a temporary ache.

Stand up, work your obliques, engage thoughtfully in the things you’re doing, and eat well.

For references, please click here.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Breakthrough in ED Treatment
https://www.newsmax.com/health/heal...b=DM81321_01072020&s=acs&dkt_nbr=010102qf70ee

VU Sponsors