Become a Patron!

Jolly Rancher...

So I've spent a long time looking into making any jolly rancher flavor. I've tried recipes that were only kind of jolly rancher. MA/sour mix's don't do anything from what I can tell. They change the flavor but I don't notice a single hint of sourness from varying strengths. Anywhere from .5% to 10%. The only thing I notice is that once you get upwards of 5% TFA sour, it just ruins your cotton in tanks and causes dry hits after about 1 tank full (~4ml)

I generally test that stuff on my RDA so I don't have to worry about replacing a coil head. I've had jolly rancher-like flavors (primarily watermelon) but without that sour/sweet combo going on that you get from jolly ranchers.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced similar set-backs with this. I've only had 1 watermelon jolly rancher that I bought from a store in a city I was visiting, but the guy wouldn't sell me his recipe. I asked him to give me a price and he didn't even humor me with an amount. The stuff he had was darn near perfect so I know it can be done and it's not just my taste buds being useless in tasting anything from sour mixes. It really feels like "watermelon jolly rancher" is some kind of super secret. I've searched this forum for a little bit and couldn't really find anything that looked definite.

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Thanks. :D

Yeah, that's one of the first things I came across. I've tried it. Didn't come close to what I was expecting, tbh. I've tried building off of it doing things like adding little lemon/raspberry. I've seen people talk about using strawberry in small amounts with watermelon. I've tried adding multiple watermelons and tried adding candy flavors and watermelon candy flavors. It just seems like nothing works, at least for me. T_T maybe my tongue is broken? lol

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My friend, for this one keep it simple don't overcomplicate it.
Work with your percentages, you will find what works for you.
Try standalone test with the watermelon and or try the watermelon candy instead of the watermelon from TFA

You can try my personal variation...

TFA Watermelon 12%
TFA Grape 3%

Last edited:
My friend, for this one keep it simple don't overcomplicate it.
Work with your percentages, you will find what works for you.
Try standalone test with the watermelon and or try the watermelon candy instead of the watermelon from TFA

You can try my personal variation...

TFA Watermelon 12%
TFA Grape 3%

That's interesting. I'll try it for sure. Personally not a fan of TFA's watermelon over FW or CAP, but I haven't tried their grape so idk how that will effect it. This could give me more ideas :D I never heard of adding grape to watermelon. I appreciate the info.

I think you might be right about keeping it simple. Looking at all my "failed creations" they just got more and more complicated, and my earlier basic stuff seemed closer to what I wanted. I always felt like I was missing something subtle.

Thanks.

Lorann Watermelon is jolly rancherish, make sure and get the clear version though, not the one with food color. http://wizardlabs.us/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2160&search=watermelon Really one of the better watermelon flavors out there.

Not sure were else to get the colorless version, that's what google is for though.

Is there a difference between the colored one and the clear? I have a bottle of the pinkish/red watermelon from them and it's my least favorite watermelon. >_<

But to point out. I'm much less concerned with watermelon as the primary flavor and more so on making anything Jolly Rancher. I just used watermelon as the primary flavor since it's the one I had originally bought and the only one I can compare against as I make my own.

Just to give an idea of where I'm currently at, Here is the best or closest recipe I could get for a watermelon jolly rancher.

10% Hard Candy (FW)
5% Watermelon (CAP)
5% Watermelon (FW)
.5% Raspberry (FA)
70VG/30PG (3MG)

I want to change the watermelon flavor a little but I'm more concerned about getting that sour/sweet combo of jolly rancher. FW's hard candy gets me close flavor-wise. But this is where I feel like I'm missing something. I use the raspberry to try and add in some kind of sour note to it. TFA's sour doesn't seem to do anything positive to the mix. I've tried using lemon as well (I found the raspberry works better in giving it something extra than the lemon)

What is something you would add to this or change to get more of a jolly rancher candy flavor?

(sorry if it's taboo to put recipe stuff in general discussion. I figure it would be best in the recipe section but I originally hadn't planned on putting up a recipe since I considered them failures. And I'd rather not bloat the forums with a double post regarding my same issue) <3

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Seriously, DON'T overcomplicate it but yeah experiment because you could come out with an even better juice than you expect!!

VU Sponsors