Become a Patron!

Joyetech Atopack Dolphin

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this Review i take a look at the Atopack Dolphin by Joyetech. The device was kindly supplied for the purpose of this review by Ella from Joyetech.

http://www.joyetech.com/product/atopack-dolphin/

In the Box

Contents:

1 x Joyetech Atopack Dolphin Battery
1 x Joyetech Atopack Dolphin Cartridge
1 x 1.2ohm Atopack JVIC3 Coil
1 x 0.25ohm Atopack JVIC2 Coil
1 x QC USB cable
1 x User Manual
1 x Warranty card
1 x Warning card
2 x MTL Silicone Mouthcover

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

On opening the box i was met by a very curvy fair sized pod device which shape is made to be held, so straightaway a big thumbs up for the ergonomics. After picking the device up, it just confirmed the ergonomics are spot on, however i have medium sized hands and it occurred to me that if my hands were any smaller the device might be a bit on the large size (whether this would effect the comfort i'm not sure, my wife has small hands and said it felt nice but she wasn't carrying it around with her). I can see why the device is called the dolphin as it is somewhat shaped in the form of a dolphin as much as it can be to be an ergonomic practical device. I received the white version, which with it's smoked black cartridge and black large elongated oval fire button reminded me more of a killer whale. It comes in four other colours and some of the colours might be judged to be on the feminine side but as a man who thinks pink is the new black i actually really like all the colours available. The battery has a slightly raised curvy upper section which is the only feature of the sides. The front of the battery has the already mentioned fire button in the raised top section and a vertical row of five holes (with LED lights behind them) in the bottom, sitting between the two is the micro USB charge port. On the rear of the battery is a dolphin logo and underneath this is the Joyetech logo. The bottom of the device reveals some battery venting along with a couple of safety stamps. With the just as curvy cartridge with rounded mouthpiece sitting on top of the battery i personally thing it's a very nice looking device but it won't appeal to everybody.

Specs:

Cartridge Capacity: 6ml
Battery Capacity: 2100mAh
Output Mode: Direct Output
Maximum Output Wattage: 50W
Max Charging Current: 2A
Elegant Dolphin-like Appearance
Easy and Comfortable to Handle
High Quality and Eco-friendly Materials
Compact pod mod with stylish design
Innovative and Exclusive JVIC Coil System
Flexible E-liquid Refilling Design
Pure Flavor and Massive Vapor
Colours: Orange, Black, White, Yellow, Blue

Getting Ready To Use

The coils are housed in ceramic casing with a large wicking port on the top, when priming your coils you'll also need to put liquid directly onto the coil to get the whole of the cotton saturated. There is access from both sides of the coil to get it primed, however the MTL has a silicone bung with a small air hole in one end which needs to be removed while doing this. It occurred to me straight away once the coil is fitted into the cartridge it is only going to get wicked from the top so i really need to use high PG liquid to prevent dry hits. 50/50 was the highest PG ratio i had because i tend to use at least 70/30 in favour of VG so that had to do. The cartridge needs to get pulled out of the battery which does take a bit of a tug but nothing too dramatic. Once out you see the battery has 2 spring loaded contacts but it's the cartridge we need at this point. When looking at the bottom of the cartridge you see it has a thick plastic bung sealing it and in the middle is housed a dummy coil head which you pull out to replace with the real thing. Pulling the dummy out is easy enough and the coil slots into place easily. Below the airflow there is a bung with a liquid drop on it, pulling this out reveals a nice sized fill port, so it's just a matter of filling the cartridge. On the battery is 2 rails that guide the cartridge back into place, now all you need to do is wait a few minutes then start vaping. On the cartridge (the lower section you can't see once fitted to the battery) is a label so you can fill in the details about the liquid you have in the cartridge (This could be useful if it's your main device and you buy several cartridges using different liquids in each one).

Battery Status

Turning the device on and off is the usual five clicks then vape. The Dolphin is a direct output device so there are no settings, but the device does let you know your battery status. There are five LED lights which all light up when vaping but then change to light up however many needed to show the status of the battery. 5 lights mean 90% - 100%, 4 lights 70% - 89%, 3 lights 30% - 69%, 2 lights 10% - 29%, 1 light 1% - 9% and finally when you get 1 light flashing you will not be able to vape anymore and the device will need charging. With the Dolphin being a direct output device you will get a reduction in wattage as the battery loses charge but i detected no noticeable difference until just before it went down to 1 light. The dolphin is capable of 2A charging.

Performance

I was impressed by the vaping experience using the Dolphin when using both the direct lung and mouth to lung coils. The 0.25 direct lung coil gave more cloud than i have experienced in the past from pod devices i have used, and the flavour was very good, we are not talking RTA or RDA flavour but certainly comparable to a good sub-ohm tank. The airflow was just how i like it but different people like different amounts of airflow so the device would be better if it was adjustable. The 1.2 mouth to lung coils gave more cloud than you would expect from a mouth to lung coil, which when hearing that you might be thinking "another device that claims to do both but one doesn't really work" but it does give a 100% true mouth to lung vape. You do get 2 silicone caps to put over the mouthpiece to make it an even tighter draw but i didn't much like using them and i found it was fine without. Again i'm not talking Nautilus or Siren flavour but it was, i would say above average. The battery life was very good lasting most of the day when i was using the direct lung coil and although i only used it with the mouth to lung coil for a couple of hours just knowing how long it lasted with the 0.25 coil tells me it should last all day. Using the 50/50 liquid despite my concerns was fine with no dry hits whatsoever, but looking at the design i wouldn't personally recommend using any higher VG than that.

Great Device For New Vapers
Both DL and MTL Device
Good Flavour
Good Cloud Production
Good Battery Life
Ergonomic
Nice curvy design
6ml Capacity
2A Charging
Comes In Nice Colours
Liquid Detail Labels

Dislikes

Not Suitable For High VG Liquid
Airflow Not Adjustable
Need better MTL Caps For Mouthpiece
Quite Large

Conclusion

A good device for someone giving up cigarettes, giving them the chance to experiment with both direct lung and mouth to lung vaping styles. For those who like pod devices, the Dolphin is the best one i have used.

I would once again like to thank Ella from Joyetech for supplying the Atopack Dolphin for the purpose of this review.

http://www.joyetech.com/product/atopack-dolphin/

VU Sponsors