Become a Patron!

Joyetech Cuboid Problems & Quality Control Issues

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If the retailer is in China, the EU will help you sue a Chinese company to get your 35 Euro back?
NO, they will refund it out of pocket and if the product happens to be of a frequently inferior quality which causes them to lose money they will stop selling it, and when this happens the Chinese manufacturer will be forced to produce a better quality European version for a price premium if they still want to exist in the EU market and will make sure that most of these products will be durable enough to live beyond the mandatory 3 years legal requirement. happens all the time, this is reality not a theory!

All using market dynamics, there is no suing involved, we are not a litigate society like the US is, most of our problems are solved outside of the courts, a regulated market is a very powerful mechanism for a self-correcting system.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
NO, they will refund it out of pocket and if the product happens to be of a frequently inferior quality which causes them to lose money they will stop selling it, and when this happens the Chinese manufacturer will be forced to produce a better quality European version for a price premium if they still want to exist in the EU market and will make sure that most of these products will be durable enough to live beyond the mandatory 3 years legal requirement. happens all the time, this is reality not a theory!

All using market dynamics, there is no suing involved, we are not a litigate society like the US is, most of our problems are solved outside of the courts, a regulated market is a very powerful mechanism for a self-correcting system.

Fastech extends the warranty for electronics to 3 years because you are in the EU?
The same junk sold in the US is sold in the EU. I have been to vape shops in the EU. My buddy had an iStick 50 he bought in CR and was told by the vape shop to contact the manufacturer for replacement. I took it from him and threw it out...
I have also been to Euronics and iStyle and have been shocked at the prices for electronics goods...

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I know you keep talking about 3 years. It's not like that is coming free. That's probably the main reason something we pay less than $40 costs you $100.
Exactly right, this is precisely what i want, you got it for $40 in the US or directly from China and do not mind few imperfections, i got it for $75 and expect it to adhere to European quality standards, which didn't happen, hence the complain, next time i buy my mods directly from China for $35 so when it fails after a couple of months i can silently trash it without thinking much about it, i prefer the version where i pay the premium and get good quality instead of tossing mods every few months.

I generally never buy extended warranties either. I refer to those as high priced insurance. On top of that, most of them expire just before the curve starts to go back up.
Agree to some degree depending on product cost and how fast the market for that item is moving, i admit to have bought extended warranty a few times for things like top of the line TV and they came to the rescue in the second year when the device fails because of low quality internals, got a brand new replacement within one week.

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Fastech extends the warranty for electronics to 3 years because you are in the EU?
No this applies only if the retailer is in EU's jurisdiction, does not depend on where you are buying from. so Fastech is not required to be EU compliant, only if the retailer in the EU buys wholesale from them, the retailer becomes directly responsible for replacements/refunds under EU law, which will causes it to lose money if they get inferior stuff.

he bought in CR and was told by the vape shop to contact the manufacturer for replacement.
Most small retailers do that for not all consumers know their statutory rights or care enough to pursue them, but if the consumer insists a small phone call to the consumer agency will convince the retailer otherwise, they have to take responsibility for what they sell, no escape from that, i seen cases where EU consumers file complaints with the consumer agency or even go to court for items that cost them $15 bucks! just for the sake of principle.

I have also been to Euronics and iStyle and have been shocked at the prices for electronics goods...
Yes it is shocking, there are a few factors that contribute to that, import Tax/Customs, VAT 25%, higher labor cost, higher operating costs, serious legal requirements for quality and durability, mandatory right of return with no re-stocking fees ...

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No this applies only if the retailer is in EU's jurisdiction, does not depend on where you are buying from. so Fastech is not required to be EU compliant, only if the retailer in the EU buys wholesale from them, the retailer becomes directly responsible for replacements/refunds under EU law, which will causes it to lose money if they get inferior stuff.

Most small retailers do that for not all consumers know their statutory rights or care enough to pursue them, but if the consumer insists a small phone call to the consumer agency will convince the retailer otherwise, they have to take responsibility for what they sell, no escape from that, i seen cases where EU consumers file complaints with the consumer agency or even go to court for items that cost them $15 bucks! just for the sake of principle.

Yes it is shocking, there are a few factors that contribute to that, import Tax/Customs, VAT 25%, higher labor cost, higher operating costs, serious legal requirements for quality and durability, mandatory right of return with no re-stocking fees ...

You are just paying for the 2 year guarantee through higher prices, which, from what I have seen with my friend's iStick and GF's mobile- when her camera stopped working, not so easy to have the guarantee enforced.
China doesn't manufacture special, higher quality products for sale in the EU; retailers siimply charge a lot more to cover inevitable returns. No different than simply buying an extended warranty, but the consumer has no choice in this...

africamonk

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You are just paying for the 2 year guarantee through higher prices, which, from what I have seen with my friend's iStick and GF's mobile- when her camera stopped working, not so easy to have the guarantee enforced.
China doesn't manufacture special, higher quality products for sale in the EU; retailers siimply charge a lot more to cover inevitable returns. No different than simply buying an extended warranty, but the consumer has no choice in this...
So that makes sense... They get forced to take the hidden extended warranty.... So to cover oneself, just take pictures and make reasons why its not 100% perfect and just return everything ...

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So that makes sense... They get forced to take the hidden extended warranty.... So to cover oneself, just take pictures and make reasons why its not 100% perfect and just return everything ...
Right and Right, this is how it works, you still have to return the product to get the refund/replacement, so it still has to be physically examined to verify the claim, unless the item value is too little to justify the shipping back and forth and the resources to perform the examination, then in this case they just send a direct replacement, but in 99% of the cases you have to mail the product back for physical inspection, and 99% of the time it gets replaced/refunded if you make sure the fault was not user-error before sending it back.

Last edited:

tljenson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
They did not provide suggestions, they got an RMA approval from the supplier and leave it up to me to decide what i want to do, get a refund, another Cuboid or another product, they don't care what i decide, it works out the same for them at the end.

I checked all the suggested stuff, the VaporFlask is a co-brand manufacturing by Wismec/Joyetech as well, and the rest i just don't have fascination for, i think i just need some time to get over the fact that the Cuboid i waited for its release so long turned out to be of a poor quality, and maybe i need to wait for some new releases this month or the next, maybe one of them i would like, or maybe a Cuboid hardware revision like V1.1 or V2 to fix its issues.

First i was going to get the eVic Mini, then i was sure that there will be a two battery mod released, i waited and the Cuboid was announced and then i waited some more until it was released and thought that this would be "the mod" for the next few months, when it turned out to be not what i expected i found myself again in the market for mods not knowing what to get, as simple as that.

Get the new eLeaf 100 watt TC, with the new firmware it's 120, and I've heard great things about it.

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Get the new eLeaf 100 watt TC, with the new firmware it's 120, and I've heard great things about it.
Already did that a while ago and i am loving it, thanks for the suggestion anyways.

sickman22

Member For 4 Years
My cuboid is perfect out of the box. In fact,I've left the screen film on even after two weeks of usage. As is my vct mini that I use every day in my truck and trailer travels. Usualy hits the floor boards twice a day...great build quality? My original evic 11 watt tube mod is alive and kicking to this day too. Something smells funky in Denmark ,imo. My cuboid was 41.00 shipped U.S. worth every MF penny.

KY_Rob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I bought a Cuboid from MVS about a week ago, and it lasted until I took the batteries out the first time. After that, the batteries wouldn't make proper contact and function unless I squeezed the battery door. Tried 3 different sets of batteries, all of which were fully charged, and got the same results.

Had to send it back to MVS :(

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My cuboid is perfect out of the box. In fact,I've left the screen film on even after two weeks of usage. As is my vct mini that I use every day in my truck and trailer travels. Usualy hits the floor boards twice a day...great build quality? My original evic 11 watt tube mod is alive and kicking to this day too. Something smells funky in Denmark ,imo. My cuboid was 41.00 shipped U.S. worth every MF penny.
No problems with my Cuboid either, love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

HDMontana

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mine is still my at home, at night daily mod. Had it since they released them. No issues to report. I do have an istick 100 w tc on the way.

HD

KY_Rob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm glad to hear that the number of QC issues is minimal. It makes me feel better, that perhaps I got one of the rare bad ones.

Said it once, said it a thousand times, buy Made in the USA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just have to say it....but, telling someone to buy "Made in the USA" then "Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk" is just a bit ironic....Because I know that the iPhone does not have a "Made in the USA" sticker anywhere on it....

However, on the topic at hand, I would have to say, I personally would exchange for another, and if you buy it at a local vendor, then have them right there when you open it. Just the other day I was at my local shop to buy a new RDA, and the 2 people at the desk were confused as how the color code system on the box worked for the item inside, I wanted a black rda, with a red logo, they looked around a bit, and I stood right there, opened the box, and 3 of us (myself and the two employees) discovered a pink RDA in the box. And, with anything, there are going to be bad units that roll off any production line, that is just how things are. I do hate that it happened to ya, and I wish ya the best of luck on future purchases....

KY_Rob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
*** UPDATE ***

Replacement Cuboid from MVS has been stellar so far. Changed the batteries several times without a hitch, and all has been well since.

$40 for a mod of this quality is fantastic value.

*** UPDATE ***

Replacement Cuboid from MVS has been stellar so far. Changed the batteries several times without a hitch, and all has been well since.

$40 for a mod of this quality is fantastic value.

So, you would recommend? I have been eyeballing this mod for a bit now....Considering it a bit more every day...heheh

KY_Rob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So, you would recommend? I have been eyeballing this mod for a bit now....Considering it a bit more every day...heheh

At this stage, and at the price point, I'd highly recommend. Performance has been nothing short of exceptional. Looks and feels like a seriously higher end device. Just understand going in, that initial quality may be suspect. For $40, that was a risk I was willing to take. I figure if my replacement device fails, I'll tear it apart myself and try to fix it.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Looks and feels like a seriously higher end device. Just understand going in, that initial quality may be suspect.
1. Those are contradictory assertions. 2. It may be worth what Joyetech is asking for it, but, from what I've read, nobody would ever mistake it for a "high-end" device, much less a "seriously high-end" device.

KY_Rob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
1. Those are contradictory assertions. 2. It may be worth what Joyetech is asking for it, but, from what I've read, nobody would ever mistake it for a "high-end" device, much less a "seriously high-end" device.

To each their own dude, but I've owned some $400+ mods that "feel" every bit as solid, with similar fit and finish (If I start getting specific about which ones, the whole conversation will change, so let's just leave it at that. There's enough folks that can vouch for me to confirm it if you really need it). The point I was trying to make, is that even though it looks and feels like a high quality device, in reality it may or may not be.

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
After seeing the production/assembly line process and the internals, i consider it an "OK" quality device for the price, it is just a bad design that is more prone to failure:

1- The battery door on hinges and a plastic notch that happens to hold the batteries connectors as well is a bad design concept, it is not as solid as all the other traditional magnetic door devices with battery connectors fixated firmly to the body of the device itself without movement or possibility of connectors failure or arching.

2- The button is the worst of all buttons of all devices in the same generation it tends to rattle and get stuck.

3- The 510 with its square shape is also the worst of all 510s, it is short and the positive pin is small compared to other devices, insulator tends to get pressed out and short out.

4- The all Zinc alloy case including battery housing is stupid, it makes the device unnecessarily heavy, this is the heaviest 2 battery mod in the market ever, for no good reason, it is almost exactly the same weight as the RX200 which contains 3 batteries and have a much longer battery run-time

5- The plastic strip on the screen is unnecessarily HUGE making it more prone to scratches, smudges, fingerprints etc ..

I don't know about a $400 mod, where did you find that? i can not find a single modern mod including DNA200 and other "really" high end stuff selling for more than $200-$250, i suspect you are talking about mods from older generations.

There is much more to a mod's quality than just the "feel", this mod contains a mediocre board/chip/firmware like all other Chinese mods in the same price range so nothing "seriously high-end" here at all, it is just an OK mod that vapes acceptably, nothing like the DNA200, Yihi or Hohm Wrecker FSK chip, these are the really high end stuff.

In this price range the Cuboid is not the best to purchase:

The iStick TC100W is better
The Wismec RX200 is better
The IPV5 is MUCH better
The Vaporflast VapeForward is better and MUCH higher quality "feel"
The SMOK R200 is better quality, lighter, smaller, better finish, much better 510 and better hardware

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After seeing the production/assembly line process and the internals, i consider it an "OK" quality device for the price, it is just a bad design that is more prone to failure:

1- The battery door on hinges and a plastic notch that happens to hold the batteries connectors as well is a bad design concept, it is not as solid as all the other traditional magnetic door devices with battery connectors fixated firmly to the body of the device itself without movement or possibility of connectors failure or arching.

2- The button is the worst of all buttons of all devices in the same generation it tends to rattle and get stuck.

3- The 510 with its square shape is also the worst of all 510s, it is short and the positive pin is small compared to other devices, insulator tends to get pressed out and short out.

4- The all Zinc alloy case including battery housing is stupid, it makes the device unnecessarily heavy, this is the heaviest 2 battery mod in the market ever, for no good reason, it is almost exactly the same weight as the RX200 which contains 3 batteries and have a much longer battery run-time

5- The plastic strip on the screen is unnecessarily HUGE making it more prone to scratches, smudges, fingerprints etc ..

I don't know about a $400 mod, where did you find that? i can not find a single modern mod including DNA200 and other "really" high end stuff selling for more than $200-$250, i suspect you are talking about mods from older generations.

There is much more to a mod's quality than just the "feel", this mod contains a mediocre board/chip/firmware like all other Chinese mods in the same price range so nothing "seriously high-end" here at all, it is just an OK mod that vapes acceptably, nothing like the DNA200, Yihi or Hohm Wrecker FSK chip, these are the really high end stuff.

The IPV5 is MUCH better
The SMOK R200 is better quality, lighter, smaller, better finish, much better 510 and better hardware

The Vapor Flask is not in the same price range of the cuboid. It cost around double.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
While I do not own a Smok R200 or an istick. After owning an X Cube I can honestly say my Cuboid has got to be better than anything Smok could possibly make. They're a real shady company in my book. After my X Cube experience it's safe to say they will never see another dime from me.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
While I do not own a Smok R200 or an istick. After owning an X Cube I can honestly say my Cuboid has got to be better than anything Smok could possibly make.
Aren't you the guy who, just a week or so ago, was flaming me for "talking shit" because I was criticizing the design of another mod, asserting I had no right to do so because I'd never owned one?

They're a real shady company in my book. After my X Cube experience it's safe to say they will never see another dime from me.
Fair enough. "Once burned, twice shy" is not an unreasonable position. But anybody can turn out a lemon. Wasn't one of P4Y's IPVs a real stinker? Yet, by all accounts, their prior models, and the IPV D5, were and are great mods.

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
While I do not own a Smok R200 or an istick
The iStick is made in Joyetech by the same exact people that make the Cuboid, it is just a MUCH MUCH better design concept so the end product is better in all departments and is much lighter because unlike the Cuboid, the battery housing is made of plastic not fucking Zinc, batteries sit very firmly inside the device, the 510's positive pin is a wide hex shaped and more durable, the button is flawless and very clicky, very springy and much more, there is not a single design concept on the iStick that is not better than the Cuboid. the Evic VTC Mini is the same, amazing design, the Cuboid is just a bad design and i bet that Joyetech will not repeat any aspects of this stupid design in their future mods ever again.

After owning an X Cube I can honestly say my Cuboid has got to be better than anything Smok could possibly make
That is not true, the SMOK R200 is an amazing all round design, it has the perfect hardware for the price, its Firmware in TC is its only downside, once SMOK updates the Firmware for it with one that is done properly the R200 will be much better than the Cuboid in every respect, it is enough that it weights less than half of the Cuboid and can output the same power.

They're a real shady company in my book. After my X Cube experience it's safe to say they will never see another dime from me.
Time has shown that the past of these companies does not determine their future, eleaf was making shitty devices until the iStick TC100W, P4Y was even more shady than SMOK and their latest IPV5 is unanimously loved by its owners, show me one person who owns an IPV5 and is not extremely happy with it.

These companies tend to learn from their mistakes and do a better job the next time, except Joyetech that is the only one who have went backwards with their Cuboid, imagine if they were to make a 2 battery Evic VTC how much better design would have that been over the Cuboid?

Last edited:

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Aren't you the guy who, just a week or so ago, was flaming me for "talking shit" because I was criticizing the design of another mod, asserting I had no right to do so because I'd never owned one?

Fair enough. "Once burned, twice shy" is not an unreasonable position. But anybody can turn out a lemon. Wasn't one of P4Y's IPVs a real stinker? Yet, by all accounts, their prior models, and the IPV D5, were and are great mods.
Take it easy there Sparky. I would hardly call my post a flame. I see it as an astute observation of the mod market in its current form. Besides weren't you the guy that said the VF Classic was made out of cheap plastic without even having the benefit of holding one? Lmao.

Last edited:

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The iStick is made in Joyetech by the same exact people that make the Cuboid, it is just a MUCH MUCH better design concept so the end product is better in all departments and is much lighter because unlike the Cuboid, the battery housing is made of plastic not fucking Zinc, batteries sit very firmly inside the device, the 510's positive pin is a wide hex shaped and more durable, the button is flawless and very clicky, very springy and much more, there is not a single design concept on the iStick that is not better than the Cuboid. the Evic VTC Mini is the same, amazing design, the Cuboid is just a bad design and i bet that Joyetech will not repeat any aspects of this stupid design in their future mods ever again.

I have no idea why you have so much hate for the Cuboid. Almost everyone here love it. As far as the IPV5 goes, I never said that was a bad mod.

That is not true, the SMOK R200 is an amazing all round design, it has the perfect hardware for the price, its Firmware in TC is its only downside, once SMOK updates the Firmware for it with one that is done properly the R200 will be much better than the Cuboid in every respect, it is enough that it weights less than half of the Cuboid and can output the same power.

Time has shown that the past of these companies does not determine their future, eleaf was making shitty devices until the iStick TC100W, P4Y was even more shady than SMOK and their latest IPV5 is unanimously loved by its owners, show me one person who owns an IPV5 and is not extremely happy with it.

These companies tend to learn from their mistakes and do a better job the next time, except Joyetech that is the only one who have went backwards with their Cuboid, imagine if they were to make a 2 battery Evic VTC how much better design would have that been over the Cuboid?

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Take it easy there Sparky. I would hardly call my post a flame. I see it as an astute observation of the mod market in its current form.
And again we see your reading comprehension could use some work. I wrote flamed me, not the mod market. In fact...

Besides weren't you the guy that said the VF Classic was made out of cheap plastic without even having the benefit of holding one? Lmao.
There you go making stuff up again. I had written "Too much scratch-, scuff- and fingerprint-attacting shiny black plastic, "enhanced" by placing operating controls in its midst", and even allowed as how my aversion to that material was a personal thing.

Since you appear to have forgotten what they look like: Here is a picture of a Vapor Flask Classic:

iu

Note the rather prominent strip of shiny black plastic that occupies the majority of one edge. I do not like it. I'd say I hope that's okay with you, except I really don't care whether it is or not :)

Have you held an R200, btw? Or is it wrong to judge the merits of something you haven't actually held or owned only when others do it?

I love my cuboid. It works perfectly without any problems. No shaky fire button or anything. But I got to say this was the most entertaining thread I have read in these forums. I couldn't stop laughing. I hope I find more threads like this. lmfao

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I love my cuboid. It works perfectly without any problems. No shaky fire button or anything. But I got to say this was the most entertaining thread I have read in these forums. I couldn't stop laughing. I hope I find more threads like this. lmfao
This one was ok but if you really want to be entertained put on your muckin' boots and go wading through the mud pit.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
And again we see your reading comprehension could use some work. I wrote flamed me, not the mod market. In fact...

There you go making stuff up again. I had written "Too much scratch-, scuff- and fingerprint-attacting shiny black plastic, "enhanced" by placing operating controls in its midst", and even allowed as how my aversion to that material was a personal thing.

Since you appear to have forgotten what they look like: Here is a picture of a Vapor Flask Classic:

iu

Note the rather prominent strip of shiny black plastic that occupies the majority of one edge. I do not like it. I'd say I hope that's okay with you, except I really don't care whether it is or not :)

Have you held an R200, btw? Or is it wrong to judge the merits of something you haven't actually held or owned only when others do it?
First off, I was talking about you being flamed. As another member said that cheap plastic piece you speak of is more akin to a gorilla type glass than a cheap piece of plastic. Yes, I have held and vaped the Smok you speak of. It felt cheap and the tc on it sucked. Feel better now?

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To each their own dude, but I've owned some $400+ mods that "feel" every bit as solid, with similar fit and finish (If I start getting specific about which ones, the whole conversation will change, so let's just leave it at that. There's enough folks that can vouch for me to confirm it if you really need it). The point I was trying to make, is that even though it looks and feels like a high quality device, in reality it may or may not be.

What mod cost you $400+? Is it that new DNA2000?

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes, I have held and vaped the Smok you speak of. It felt cheap and the tc on it sucked. Feel better now
What factors contributed to you perceiving it as "feeling cheap" is it because it is made of thin light material with the goal of making it weigh only 128 grams? Unlike the heavy 213g Cuboid? Does heavy = quality and light = cheap in your book?

I see you posting from a Samsung device which uses the same concept, thin light plastic to lower the weight of the device, does your Samsung feel cheap to you compared to a Sony Xperia or a Nokia device for example?

Also in that same thread you were saying that @vuJim got flamed in, the OP which actually owns both the R200 and the Cuboid and have been using both for a long time as apposed to randomly trying it once, says that he thinks that the R200 TC performance is better than that of the Cuboid

So why do you think that the SMOK R200 is a bad device apart from it being manufactured by SMOK?

HDMontana

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've had a cuboid since they were first released. No problems to report. I use it daily as a home or in truck mod. Also change out batteries every night to charge. That said, I also have 2 istick 100 w tc's on the way. Was only going to get one, but got 2nd for $28.01. Couldn't pass on that deal while waiting on first one from China.

HD

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've had a cuboid since they were first released. No problems to report. I use it daily as a home or in truck mod. Also change out batteries every night to charge. That said, I also have 2 istick 100 w tc's on the way. Was only going to get one, but got 2nd for $28.01. Couldn't pass on that deal while waiting on first one from China.

HD
Cool, what colors did you get? Let us know how both compare and which one will become your go to mod once you have both.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What factors contributed to you perceiving it as "feeling cheap" is it because it is made of thin light material with the goal of making it weigh only 128 grams? Unlike the heavy 213g Cuboid? Does heavy = quality and light = cheap in your book?

I see you posting from a Samsung device which uses the same concept, thin light plastic to lower the weight of the device, does your Samsung feel cheap to you compared to a Sony Xperia or a Nokia device for example?

Also in that same thread you were saying that @vuJim got flamed in, the OP which actually owns both the R200 and the Cuboid and have been using both for a long time as apposed to randomly trying it once, says that he thinks that the R200 TC performance is better than that of the Cuboid

So why do you think that the SMOK R200 is a bad device apart from it being manufactured by SMOK?
No I just think it's cheap because it's Smok. Smok makes janky shit.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
As another member said that cheap plastic piece you speak of is more akin to a gorilla type glass than a cheap piece of plastic.
Unlikely. Gorilla Glass ® is glass. Impact- and scratch-resistant glass. It's not plastic. Even the most scratch-resistant polycarbonates are no match for it. GG has a Vickers hardness of somewhere between 1161 and 2035 (depending upon who you believe). Polycarbonate: A mere 14. Not even remotely in the same league.

The only thing currently used in consumer electronics better than GG, TTBOMK, is sapphire glass, and that's so expensive that even Apple doesn't use it, save on their camera lenses. (There are other materials claimed to be as good as, or better than GG, but they haven't seen wide-spread adoption, either.)

Let us try another tack: Do you wear eyeglasses? Almost everybody wears at least sun glasses. Do you commonly handle them by their lenses? If not: Why not?

I like the design of the VF Classic. I like it a lot... except for that plastic bezel. Show me proof that bezel is made of a material equivalent to Gorilla Glass ® and I'll buy it without a moment's hesitation. (Note: "Another member said" does not constitute proof, unless that member is an employee or owner of VapeRev and speaking on the record.)

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlikely. Gorilla Glass ® is glass. Impact- and scratch-resistant glass. It's not plastic. Even the most scratch-resistant polycarbonates are no match for it. GG has a Vickers hardness of somewhere between 1161 and 2035 (depending upon who you believe). Polycarbonate: A mere 14. Not even remotely in the same league.

The only thing currently used in consumer electronics better than GG, TTBOMK, is sapphire glass, and that's so expensive that even Apple doesn't use it, save on their camera lenses. (There are other materials claimed to be as good as, or better than GG, but they haven't seen wide-spread adoption, either.)

Let us try another tack: Do you wear eyeglasses? Almost everybody wears at least sun glasses. Do you commonly handle them by their lenses? If not: Why not?

I like the design of the VF Classic. I like it a lot... except for that plastic bezel. Show me proof that bezel is made of a material equivalent to Gorilla Glass ® and I'll buy it without a moment's hesitation. (Note: "Another member said" does not constitute proof, unless that member is an employee or owner of VapeRev and speaking on the record.)
For obvious economic reasons, there is no way this mod is using Gorilla Glass or any type of glass for that matter, it is most likely a thick Polycarbonate mold and it doesn't come without side effects, a major complaint with this device is that the screen is dim, even though it is the same screen on all other Joyetech/Wismec/Eleaf mods, but that thick, dense Polycarbonate is dimming and probably blurring it due to its known chromatic aberration effect.

Also if this was a Gorilla Glass bezel, Wismec/VapeForward would have marketed the hell out of this, could have even called it the world's first GG mod, so it is just plastic, a thick one though, but that does not improve its scratch resistance a bit, the member was just excited about their new toy that he went as far as claiming it uses a GG-like material when nothing like that exist in industrial applications.

It is good though that many vapers think the Wismecs have Gorilla Glass, and love a poorly designed mod like the Cuboid, for if all consumers of vaping products were like you and me no manufacturer would have been able to sell any mods, even china could get out of this business all together or the cheapest mod would be selling for $400 like the guy above stated to satisfy OCD minds like ours,

At the end i have to add the "LMFAO" to match the tonality of the conversation, so LMFAO and a stupid LOLing face .. :D

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey McFly, McFly! That's not what was said. Nobody said it was made out of gorilla glass. People said it was a lot closer to something like gorilla glass. That was done in an effort to show that it indeed is not made out of cheap plastic. Damn, why do people have such a hard time parsing? I think someone here has a reading comprehension problem. Smfh.

Last edited:

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

The IPV5 is MUCH better
You were saying you don't think there are $400 mods. Here are some in the $300+ to over $400 range
http://axisvapes.com/our-stabilized-wood-mod/
Lots of very nice mods out there if you know where to look

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You were saying you don't think there are $400 mods. Here are some in the $300+ to over $400 range
http://axisvapes.com/our-stabilized-wood-mod/
Lots of very nice mods out there if you know where to look
Of course, DNA 200, stabilized wood, built with the best components, and hand assembled neatly in the US would easily come to that price level, but this is nothing like the Cuboid at all, not even remotely comparable in elegance, durability or performance.

The guy was talking in the context of mass production devices i believe, considering the mediocre quality of the Cuboid to be near something as high-end and neatly done as this one is ridiculous, the Cuboid uses the least costly components to manufacture, heck they could not even invest into making it achieve more than 25A of output.

I don't know how anyone could possibly compare the Cuboid to a mod of that magnitude, or even mention them in the same context.

Last edited:

HDMontana

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cool, what colors did you get? Let us know how both compare and which one will become your go to mod once you have both.
Black one from gearbest and a grey one from vaporbeast. Ended up paying around $28.00 for both istick 100w tc's. Got some LG hg2's ready when they get here.

HD

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've fondled the Smok r200 and r80 at my LVS and IMO, the build quality seemed fine. However, the menu system is one giant cluster fuck. That's the only thing stopping me from getting one as I loved the form factor on the R200.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Hey McFly, McFly! That's not what was said. Nobody said it was made out of gorilla glass. People said it was a lot closer to something like gorilla glass. .... Damn, why do people have such a hard time parsing? I think someone here has a reading comprehension problem.
Why, yes: Yes, they do:
For obvious economic reasons, there is no way this mod is using Gorilla Glass or any type of glass for that matter, ...
(emphasis added)
As previously noted: No plastic currently known to man comes even close to the hardness of even plain old glass (which is somewhere shy of 1100), much less an enhanced material such as Gorilla Glass ®. As such: It is inconceivable that the VF Classic's bezel is "a lot closer to GG" than plastic. If you're lucky it may be high-grade polycarbonate treated with an anti-scratch treatment such as (optionally) available for polycarbonate eyeglass lenses. Anybody who's ever owned a pair of those knows just how "scratch-resistant" they're not.

This is silly. I'm not going to argue it any more.

VU Sponsors