Become a Patron!

Joyetech Espion with ProCore X

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the Espion with ProCore X by Joyetech. The kit was kindly supplied for the purpose of this review by Ella from Joyetech.

http://www.joyetech.com/product/espion-with-procore-x/

In the Box

Contents:

1 * ESPION (no cell)
1 * ProCore X atomizer
1 * ProC1 (0.4ohm) head
1 * ProC1-S (0.25ohm) head
1 * Spare glass tube
1 * Extended vent pipe
1 * QC USB cable
2 * Manual
1 * Warranty card
2 * Warning card
Spare parts

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Espion was designed in the USA by Johnathan Fairbanks and i'm sure when people see the pictures most will agree it's design is quite stunning. The kit comes in typical Joyetech packaging and once opening you are met by a handsome looking device. The Espion to me looks average size for a duel battery device but seems slightly taller while slightly narrower but the grooved design and tank sitting centrally gives the impression it's narrower than it is. It has some descent depth to it and having a centred 510 will allow for quite large tanks. Front, back and sides has the same grooved finish with the top 20% being smooth, apart from a large rectangular silver fire button (with the Joyetech trademark on it) the device is in my case (having the Gun metal) entirely in the understated colour. When i say understated, i mean the Espion doesn't come in an array of bright colours, the choice is Black, Gun metal (the one i received) or Tiffany blue. The smooth section on the Tiffany blue version is silver and the black is a shiny black compared to a mat black grooved section. On the rear of the device, on the smooth upper section is the word "ESPION" etched on and the top of the device houses the centred spring loaded 510 with air channels. The top section of the front of the device houses the 1.45 inch TFT colour screen and colour options on the screen lacks bright colours in keeping with the device (The device wouldn't look out of place being pulled out of a suit pocket, it has an executive look about it). Under the Screen sits a + / - rocker key and next to that a function button, the final feature on the front is the USB port sitting central at the bottom. The bottom of the device has the latch battery door, safety stamps and plenty of venting. I can't speak for the other colours but in the case of the Gun metal the included ProCore X tank matches the device perfectly (the exact same shade). The device has some reasonable weight, is very good build quality and i found the ergonomics to be spot on.

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Due to only being allowed 1000 characters this review in in 2 parts, sorry for any inconvenience.

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Due to only being allowed 1000 characters this review is in 2 parts.

PART 2

ProCore X Specs:

Size: 25.0ProCore Xmm* 44.0mm (H)(standard)
25.0ProCore Xmm* 53.0mm (H)(4.5ml)
Capacity: 2.0ml (can be changed to 4.5ml large capacity)
Colors: black, gunmetal, silver
Applicable heads: ProC series heads

ProCore X Overview

I have used a few of the ProCore tanks, the first was the ProCore Aries which came with the Cuboid Tap i bought a while ago and the X must be the fourth version of the tank i have used. The tanks themselves i can find no difference in performance between them for that reason i only tried the X with the 0.25 (claimed MTL coil) to see if a MTL vape was possible has it hasn't been with the other tanks. I like the ProCore coils, there are stock coils with better flavour from the off but the ProCore coils seem to keep flavour for much longer and last. I found 40w the best vape with the 0.25 and i did enjoy vaping with it but of course it was a restricted lung hit. I then tried at all sorts of lower wattages and having the airflow almost shut but there is no way with this tank you can MTL and doubt in any tank design you will get a MTL vape from this coil head as the bore just isn't narrow enough (maybe a very airy MTL vape at very best). Disassembling the tank was straight forward apart from if you want to change the glass (much better with the 4.5ml glass), as it was a very tight fit with the top section so a bit of very careful wiggling was needed. If you then wish to fit the 4.5ml glass you just need to screw on the extension pipe then put the tank back together. The ProCore X has slight texturing in the form of lines but are for Aesthetics rather than grip as how the tank is filled and the ease of movement of the airflow ring, no grip is necessary. The top fill system works great but creates a problem which for me personally means it's not a tank i would probably use much. The top is pushed inwards then it pops up revealing the fill ports and locks back into place very nicely, however this means nothing can protrude underneath the top cap, so a drip tip can't be fitted in the usual way. Joyetech have got around this by having a metal cylinder on top of the top cap and the supplied drip-tip goes over this as a sleeve so you are stuck with the supplied drip tip. I have used far worse drip tips, it really isn't that bad, but for me it is quite a big issue that i can't fit my own.

Espion Specs:

Mod size: 43mm(L)*28mm(W)*84mm(H)
Screen type: 1.45 inch TFT color screen
Screen resolution: 240*320 dpi
Output wattage: 1-200W
Output mode: Power/RTC/TC(Ni, Ti, SS316)/TCR modes
Resistance range: 0.05-1.5ohm for TC/TCR mode
0.1-3.5ohm for Power mode
Temperature range: 100-315°C/ 200-600°F
Battery using: Dual replaceable high rate 18650 cells (CDC25A)
Max charging current: 2.0A
Max output current: 50A
Max output voltage: 9V
Colours: Black, Gun Metal, Blue

Using the Espion

The first thing that stood out was how good the battery door is, its a common bottom latch door and most are perfectly ok, some are poor but i haven't known it to be done better than on the Espion. The device is the usual 5 cicks on and off and before explaining the menu system the only extra thing to mention is pressing the + and - together locks and unlocks the device. There are 2 different ways of using the device, a shortcut method using the function key (this allows access to the most common features) or going into the menu proper. Using the shortcut method is simply holding down the function button which changes the screen to first the clock, then the first of the TC wires on this screen you can alter the temperature. Holding down the function button again takes you to the next wire and you just repeat the process to go through all the wire types followed by your TCR settings. At anytime the fire button acts as a back button and again when you go into the menu proper the fire button also acts as a back button, so no need to round Robin. To Access the menu proper is 3 clicks of the fire button which brings up the menu screen with 4 icons. The first icon is the mode icon which gives you the same options as the shortcut method. The second icon is the settings, in this section you can lock your resistance, set wattage for temp control, choose preheat and all the usual stuff like screen time out. The third icon is your info which gives you things like your batteries status and firmware version. Finally the fourth icon is the colours where you have 5 colour options (all in keeping with the style of the device) for your wallpaper background. The background of the screen are simple lines to match the grooved finish of the device and i have other devices with a clock face but yet again it's probably the best clock I've come across to date. The graphics and all the information on the screen is sharp and crystal clear. The device really does have both a classy look and feel about it.

Performance

The Espion is a 200w device and although i don't have the software to know if it manages the full 200 it seemed very accurate with the wattages i vaped at. Once i finished trying out the so called MTL coil head i did then use the Espion with a couple of other tanks and i just can't fault it. There was no noticeable delay and i had been using my T-Priv with the Geekvape Zeus before putting the Zeus on the Espion, (i don't know if it was my imagination but it seemed far smoother on the Espion). The battery life was what i would expect from a duel battery and 28mm tanks will fit without overhang. The Espion supports 2A charging and is fully firmware up-gradable.

ProCore X

Top fill
Extendable to 4.5ml
ProCore coils long lasting flavour
Matches device perfectly

Dislikes

Can only use the supplied drip tip
MTL coil doesn't work as MTL

Espion

Stylish
Shortcut to main features
Nice UI
Excellent Clock Screensaver
Very well made
2A charging
Up to 28mm tanks without overhang
Temp control
Large colour clear display
Good ergonomics
Very well done battery door

Conclusion

The ProCore X is an excellent tank to be included in a kit but the draw back of being stuck with the supplied drip tip is a big issue for me, also there is no way (as i already knew, but couldn't just presume) you can MTL.
The Espion is a very good device which i can't fault. My wife calls it a "posh mod" and certainly if i was going anywhere i needed to pretend i was sophisticated or was wearing a suit the Espion would be my companion.

I would once again like to thank Ella from Joyetech for supplying the Espion with ProCore X for the purpose of this review.

http://www.joyetech.com/product/espion-with-procore-x/

I wish everyone and their loved ones a Happy New Year.

VU Sponsors