Become a Patron!

Just about ready to call it quits

Hello, people .

I'll spare as many details as possible here, but I'm new to vaping and over the past few weeks I've found the experience ranging from mildly frustrating to utterly infuriating.

I've gone through two cheap vape pens that were understandably crap (leaks, dry hits, etc), and so I decided to upgrade in quality so I got an Aspire mod with a crown 3 tank and 2 bottles of juice. And now to my amazement, I'm having the exact same problems. Leaks, dry hits, etc. I bought the Uwell Crown 3 specifically because it was so well reviewed I figured I couldn't go wrong, but apparently I was mistaken. And now it turns out if you google "crown 3 dry hits" there are plenty of people with similar mysteriously unfixable problems. Strange stories of "bad batches of coils" and conflicting information about possible solutions, etc. And I'm not just picking on Uwell here, this seems to be the case with every well reviewed tank I research. Apparently this is still a massively imperfect technology as far as I can tell.

Anyway, I've watched about a thousand YouTube videos on priming coils and poking holes in cotton and on and on, so I'm not asking for advice in that regard. At this point, I'm just looking to give it one more shot with a quality tank that offers reliable replacement coils (if such a thing exists). Just something simple and reliable for around 30-50 bucks would be ideal. Are there any tanks out there that stand out as particularly reliable? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Hello, people .

I'll spare as many details as possible here, but I'm new to vaping and over the past few weeks I've found the experience ranging from mildly frustrating to utterly infuriating.

I've gone through two cheap vape pens that were understandably crap (leaks, dry hits, etc), and so I decided to upgrade in quality so I got an Aspire mod with a crown 3 tank and 2 bottles of juice. And now to my amazement, I'm having the exact same problems. Leaks, dry hits, etc. I bought the Uwell Crown 3 specifically because it was so well reviewed I figured I couldn't go wrong, but apparently I was mistaken. And now it turns out if you google "crown 3 dry hits" there are plenty of people with similar mysteriously unfixable problems. Strange stories of "bad batches of coils" and conflicting information about possible solutions, etc. And I'm not just picking on Uwell here, this seems to be the case with every well reviewed tank I research. Apparently this is still a massively imperfect technology as far as I can tell.

Anyway, I've watched about a thousand YouTube videos on priming coils and poking holes in cotton and on and on, so I'm not asking for advice in that regard. At this point, I'm just looking to give it one more shot with a quality tank that offers reliable replacement coils (if such a thing exists). Just something simple and reliable for around 30-50 bucks would be ideal. Are there any tanks out there that stand out as particularly reliable? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
You say vape pens, which ones are you referring too?

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
The first one was really garbage, i don't remember the name. The second one was the Aspire Pockex
Most tanks leak a little but there are few that do not. I use daily this tank in the link below, it holds 2 ml of liquid, coils are cheap $8 for 5, and max wattage is 35 watts with these coils. I like the the ceramic 0.5 ones the best which last me a good week of heavy vaping. Tank is top fill unscrewing the top cap. AND NO LEAKS EVER! https://www.electrictobacconist.com/vaporesso-veco-tank-p4312

PS I use the ceramic coils on wattage not temp control which works a lot better for me.

If your looking for clouds then skip it, it is just a good satisfying vape..

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I bought 4 atomizers with prebuilt coilheads before I went with rebuidables I just have the one RTA a Kylin mini then 3 RTAs and 3 RTDAs. Once you get the hand of wicking you should never get a dry hit nor leaking.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Only coil-head/sub-ohm stuff I own was cheap-as-hell Karnoo and I bought a clone Atlantis to try as well. Karnoo coils fit both, vapes fine - not as well as any RTA I have, but fine to prove it works and certainly for the price.

I also have only respect for the Eleaf Pico 75, 100w and TC100w. Solid, reliable performers.

If you want a simple and cheap entry into RTA's, I can also recommend the Coilmaster Elfy and even the Monster V3 clone, (latter lacks any AFC).

Any time I get a "dry hit", my wattage is too high - the only other alternative is I am zombie-vaping and simply didn't notice the tank just went dry. Every time I rip into an RTA or atty to check my wicking, it's definitely wet, so - it's not the wicking/juice.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Well the coil problem is easy to fix. Learn to wrap a coil and get an RBA (rebuildable atomizer). Although, I suspect this "bad coil" issue is more of an "I put it in wrong and it was not aligned correctly" issue. When I was getting tired of replacing coil heads, I switched from a vape pen to a Kanger Toptank Mini tank. Some say they leak, but I say they only leak if you try to fill with the airflow open or lay them on the side with air open.... Or of course, if you have the coil head mis-threaded.
The kanger rba mini is supposed to be a single coil mini deck. (If you are really really bored and patient you can build a dual core... lol I wouldnt do that a 2nd time though). And once you get used to making a simple coil you can start looking at a clapton coil for better flavor. (but that comes later once you are comfy with single coils). I mention all this because the only want to be 100% sure of the best quality coil build, it to build it yourself.
I recommend the kanger tank because that is what I used. If it ever leaks, just strip it apart, wash and dry, then carefully put it back together.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hello, people .

I’m sorry to read of your troubles. I had a similar start out of the gate 7 years ago.
It’s terrible, I know and I understand.
Rest easy as you’re in the right place for help.
After breaking 3 ego pens and screaming at 2 cigalike setups o decided to do the math on what I was spending on cigarettes and buy a mod/tank that I felt wouldn’t disappoint.
The mod is no longer made and rather immaterial now; the tank was a nautilus mini. They are still made and highly recommend starter tanks for people looking to quit smoking and start vaping.
Any decent mod nowadays will be sufficient as that tank only needs 10-15w - a decent starter mod got it would be either an istick or an innokin.
Another decent one to help would be something like and ego aio. It’s sort of a pen:tank in one. My wife uses it for work and white honestly it surprised me. It provides a very satisfying vape, it’s cheap and easy to use.
Ego aio
https://www.myvaporstore.com/Joye-eGo-AIO-All-in-One-Starter-Kit-p/joye-eoaio.htm

Nautilus 2- much improved over the mini
https://www.myvaporstore.com/Aspire-Nautilus-2-Tank-p/ap-mnz10.htm

Decent mods with built in batteries
https://www.myvaporstore.com/Innokin-Coolfire-Pebble-Express-Kit-p/ink-cfp10.htm

This one comes with a tank and for 40$ a nice starter kit
https://www.myvaporstore.com/Innokin-Coolfire-Ace-with-Slipstream-Tank-Kit-p/ink-cfm10.htm

This is said to mimic a cigarette draw nearly identical
https://www.myvaporstore.com/Innokin-Endura-T20-Starter-Kit-p/ink-end30.htm

stephanievapes

Member For 1 Year
Maybe something with no coils might be better? I started with a Vaporesso Veco myself. I got some leakage on the odd occasion but usually only when I'd just refilled it and when the tank/o-rings were getting old. One of my friends got the Sourin Drop and loves it - it doesn't leak and the pods have the coil inside - might be a better option for you? I'm not sure where you're based (I'm in the UK) but this is the one she got https://www.vapesuperstore.co.uk/vapril-suorin-starter-kit-and-liquid

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
dude ..there isn't a vaper on this forum who hasn't thrown an atty across the room out of fustration...it gets better.
LMFAO! Yeah, I have not thrown one across the room but I have thrown a few in the recycling bin for garbage day pick up. It definitely gets better. :giggle:

If it were me I would find a nice single coil rda to start with, get a spool of quality Clapton wire and wicking material. Oh, and learn about ohms law.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If I’m remembering correctly, the Crown 3coils are meant for somewhat high wattage vaping? Perhaps your set up doesn’t deal with that?

Anyway, I would second the Veco. I have a few and they’ve never leaked on me. I also have an OG Crown, which I love. I also also have a few Kanger subtanks and they don’t leak, either. And the Innokin isub V. The only other one which I totally love is the Cobra....but the coils are getting really hard to get.

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yea it takes awhile to find the right setup and good ejuices. Just wondering if your vaping at the recommended wattage for your coils? and of course letting them sit for 10 minutes to prime up properly..gotta rule that stuff out. I've never experienced a dry hit from my crown 3. It does like to leak from time to time tho.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If I’m remembering correctly, the Crown 3coils are meant for somewhat high wattage vaping? Perhaps your set up doesn’t deal with that?

Anyway, I would second the Veco. I have a few and they’ve never leaked on me. I also have an OG Crown, which I love. I also also have a few Kanger subtanks and they don’t leak, either. And the Innokin isub V. The only other one which I totally love is the Cobra....but the coils are getting really hard to get.
Yea I had a crown v1 I loved that thing. Rose gold. Ni200 coils we're great and lasted a while. But have to use Temp control for those. The SS ones were good too. The .25s

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors