Become a Patron!

Just bought an RTA. Do I dry burn SS coils?

I recently made the switch from sub-ohm tanks to RTAs. I ended up going with the Reload RTA along with some prebuilt coils (Kanthal & SS). I've built with the Kanthal already, but I haven't used the SS since I wasn't sure if I was supposed to Dry Burn them.

Sooooo, am I supposed to dry burn them? Thanks in advance.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
SS gets brittle if it gets too hot. Just heat them up until they barely glow. I don't heat them when new just to clean them when I re-wick. Others may do differently.

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well my mom bought some of the UWell Crown 3 coils that use SS wire, and my friend and I got into an interesting discussion about that very thing. He told me that he does dry-burn his SS coils, but he only does so in TC mode. He said something about metallic particles leeching into your juice if they get too hot or something like that.

Last edited:

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The link above breaks it down for you very good article and video.

Sent from my LG-V930 using Tapatalk

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well my mom bought some of the UWell Crown 3 coils that use SS wire, and my friend and I got into an interesting discussion about that very thing. He told me that he does dry-burn his SS coils, but he only does so in TC mode. He said something about metallic particles leeching into your juice if they get too hot or something like that.

Dont dry-burn pre made factory coils like the Crown 3's.
You will only burn the cotton and ruin the coil.

Dry-burn is only for coils you build yourself and wick after the dry-burn.

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dont dry-burn pre made factory coils like the Crown 3's.
You will only burn the cotton and ruin the coil.

Dry-burn is only for coils you build yourself and wick after the dry-burn.

No, don't worry, my friend and I use RDAs. (Well he uses a TFV12, which is technically an RBA I guess.) I don't dry burn SS anyways. Same with Nickel. :)

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I give SS coils in rebuildables a light run in before I use them to burn off any residual oils or whatever has come into contact between the massive spool in the warehouse and my little spool.

Pretty much the same method as that video above.

VU Sponsors