Become a Patron!

Just changed wire gauge and what a difference!

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
When I first got into RBAs for whatever reason, I purchased a 100' spool of 30 gauge Kanthal which worked well for me.

Long story short, I decided to switch to 27 gauge Kanthal. Placed an order with Lightening Vapes and it arrived this afternoon.

First impression was that it looked a lot "Thicker" than I thought it would be. And it felt a lot "stiffer" (duhh) as well.

Turns out, at least for me it is a lot easier to build with.

And I am now able to increase the surface area of my coils while lowering the resitance for a quicker heating time.

Again., DUUH as that is what I was shooting for.

Tomorrow when I am rested I am going for a dual coil build on my Orchid V4 and I imagine I will be freaking AMAZED!

jamieg71

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I recently made a similar jump. I'm now building all my attys with 24awg and love it. Crazy the difference it can make huh?

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I recently made a similar jump. I'm now building all my attys with 24awg and love it. Crazy the difference it can make huh?

There is quite the difference between understanding what will happen with making a change like this and experiencing the change first hand!

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I use all different gauges for different applications. The only place I use 27ga is in my Fogger V4's. Build them to about 0.45ohm for about 40watts on a mech. 2x 6wrap on 2.5mm? Cant remember. Really nice vape tho.

Did you use LV20 or LV15 @ checkout? One of those is always active for 20% or 15% off your entire order. :)

CgS_Drone

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Guess its about time I got off my lazy butt and ordered some 24ga kanthal. The only gauge I have used is 28. It will be interesting to see if it makes much of a difference for me.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I use all different gauges for different applications. The only place I use 27ga is in my Fogger V4's. Build them to about 0.45ohm for about 40watts on a mech. 2x 6wrap on 2.5mm? Cant remember. Really nice vape tho.

Did you use LV20 or LV15 @ checkout? One of those is always active for 20% or 15% off your entire order. :)

I used the LV15. But I will keep the LV20 in mind for future use. not a big deal for a $6 spool of wire:D

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
26 gauge seems to be my sweet spot all purpose size..

Good to know. However being a frugal (nice way of saying cheap) bastard, once I work my way through my 100' spool of 27 gauge I may give that a try:D

MooseMan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nothing wrong with pinching a few cents here and there :D

Pav

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use 26 kanthal in my orchid v4 and its amazing. I have done .3 ohms to 1.0 ohms with it and for me the sweet spot is .5ohms.

GulfVapor

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have a Panzer SS, Aether plume veil SS and picked up some 27 gauge kanthal and I just can't seem to make the clouds that I could with nichrome 28 gauge. I built 0.5 ohm coils with the nichrome and could blow pretty good sized clouds. I don't think this 1500 mAh MNKE Battery has the power to give kanthal its justice or maybe I'm doing it all wrong :)

doughdreads

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I started out with 30g kanthal, then got 30' of 26g and 28g. I gotta say the 26g is probably my favorite; a lot easier to wrap than the 30g.

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I started with 28 and now use 20/22/24/28 and ordered 26. I love 24 with drippers and it is easier to work with so I don't burn it. But with tanks I find it dry hits if I chain vape. I got one build on an orchid with it but it has less room for experimenting that 28. I think 26 will be my sweet spot for tanks.

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
My orchids are 50/50 or 70/30. My billow has been able to handle 100 VG.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you like thicker gauge better, no point wasting that 100' spool, just take it and twist it.
Once i started twisting i couldn't stop, now i twist almost everything, 30 28 26.

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I prefer 26 for most of my builds but I use twisted 28 on my orchid at .4 ohms. I prefer non twisted wire but the screw dont cut through twisted as easy. I have tried some 20 for my drippers but it was to big of a pain for me. I do have some 22 and 24 ordered just to try them out.

Wyckmix

Member For 5 Years
got about every gauge wire you can think of, and really only use a few, 26 is my go to, 30 for twisted builds and 27 for a higher ohm/higher watt builds in a segelei 100w. All you can do is experiment and see which you prefer best.

VU Sponsors