Become a Patron!

Just got an eVic VTC Mini and I have no idea what kind of settings are good

I came from a Kangertech Subox Mini that was pretty straightforward. There's a little more to this one with having Ni coils and Ti coils. There are so many options like Power, Ni, Ti, Bypass. I have it set to Ni right now because I'm using the nickel coil but I don't know what a good temperature/watt combination would be. What's Power mode, is that good to use or a no go with the nickel coil? I feel like I'm getting a metallicy taste but that just maybe from putting my lips on chrome tip. I'm just paranoid that it's going to like blow up in my face or something.

The guy at the vape shop also insinuated that the tanks that come with this box aren't very good, a lot of people get new ones and recommended that I get a new one. I think he suggested a heracles so I might do that tomorrow. What do you guys think?

Bro2032

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I came from a Kangertech Subox Mini that was pretty straightforward. There's a little more to this one with having Ni coils and Ti coils. There are so many options like Power, Ni, Ti, Bypass. I have it set to Ni right now because I'm using the nickel coil but I don't know what a good temperature/watt combination would be. What's Power mode, is that good to use or a no go with the nickel coil? I feel like I'm getting a metallicy taste but that just maybe from putting my lips on chrome tip. I'm just paranoid that it's going to like blow up in my face or something.

The guy at the vape shop also insinuated that the tanks that come with this box aren't very good, a lot of people get new ones and recommended that I get a new one. I think he suggested a heracles so I might do that tomorrow. What do you guys think?
If you plan to use temp control, I would highly recommend the Uwell Crown tank.. It's my absolute favorite for TC. You won't be sorry.

If you plan to use temp control, I would highly recommend the Uwell Crown tank.. It's my absolute favorite for TC. You won't be sorry.
I'm not even sure what the benefits are temp control are. I just liked how easy it was to use the kanger. Care to give me a quick run down on why I may want temp control?

Bro2032

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not even sure what the benefits are temp control are. I just liked how easy it was to use the kanger. Care to give me a quick run down on why I may want temp control?
Once you find the temp the coil likes (start @ low temp, and work your way up) Then you can get maximum vapor, and flavor without worrying about a dry hit, burnt cotton taste. It's really something you have to experience, to get full appreciation for the differences. I guess it's not for everyone, but I honestly can't understand why TC is all I use, but I'm a flavor guy.

Bro2032

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I say "a temp the coil likes" I mean that the temp control feature kicks in, and pulses the mod before you get a burnt hit. Ideally you want to be just a few degrees below that burnt hit, if that makes sense.

Once you find the temp the coil likes (start @ low temp, and work your way up) Then you can get maximum vapor, and flavor without worrying about a dry hit, burnt cotton taste. It's really something you have to experience, to get full appreciation for the differences. I guess it's not for everyone, but I honestly can't understand why TC is all I use, but I'm a flavor guy.
I'm just worried about going too hot I guess? I don't know what's bad for the vape. Like an equilibrium between temp and watt? I don't know.

Bro2032

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm just worried about going too hot I guess? I don't know what's bad for the vape. Like an equilibrium between temp and watt? I don't know.
If you start low and work up, you'll n get the temp dialed in. The wattage can be tuned up after you get your temp set.

Bro2032

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know, I guess I don't understand. Find the right temp first, then wattage?
Depending on the coil, or build in your tank, that should give you some idea where the wattagev should be. Then as you work up in temperature you'll notice it getting warmer. You'll want to find the sweet spot for you without getting the temperature too high. Once you're vaping it, it will be fairly self explanatory. There is a lot of reading you can do about your particular device, and tank, whatever you may pick.

Depending on the coil, or build in your tank, that should give you some idea where the wattagev should be. Then as you work up in temperature you'll notice it getting warmer. You'll want to find the sweet spot for you without getting the temperature too high. Once you're vaping it, it will be fairly self explanatory. There is a lot of reading you can do about your particular device, and tank, whatever you may pick.
Ahh okay, I just wasn't sure if like there was a max or a min temperature I should be vaping at without damaging the device. I'm currently at 470 so I wasn't sure if that was like too high.

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In temp control mode, you can't really go too high temp wise, it's designed to prevent that. The way Temp control works is that the mod will regulate the power to maintain the coil at the set temperature, and the wattage will adjust how fast it will reach temp (ramp time). So you could take those coils all the way to 600f if you really wanted to. The people in the shop were right in one instance though, in general the eGo One Mega/Tron tank is pretty garbage, even with the CLR coils (rebuildables). Although taste is very subjective, I have found that myself, and most people who try my settings agree, the sweet spot for that tank and those coils (all Temp Control coils for this tank) is between 500f-550f at 30W-35W.

A basic rundown of the settings:
Temp Ni - for Ni200(Nickel) coils
Temp Ti - for Titanium coils
Temp SS - for Stainless Steel coils
Power - for Kanthal coils (regulated: controls the power level)
Bypass - for Kanthal coils (unregulated: simulates a mech mod)

Caution
Nickel coils MUST be used in Temp Ni mode
Titanium coils MUST be used in Temp Ti mode
Kanthal can ONLY be used in Power/Bypass modes
BUT Stainless Steel can be used in both Temp SS mode and Power/Bypass modes (Pretty Sweet :p)

In Temp Control modes, the wattage affects ramp time (how long for the coil to heat up to temp) but the Temp Control will kick in to prevent the coils from exceeding the set temp (Temp Protection). Temp control allows the ability to find a juices sweet spot (juices can taste different at different temperatures) and keep it there, giving you the most flavor from your juices.

This is an AMAZING mod, it's just a shame it came with just a poorly designed tank matched to it. I would recommend getting a new tank for your mod to truly shine. Ironically, I've found this tank works best with the CLR coils, sitting atop my SMPL mod! hahaha
20160112_090114_HDR.jpg

In temp control mode, you can't really go too high temp wise, it's designed to prevent that. The way Temp control works is that the mod will regulate the power to maintain the coil at the set temperature, and the wattage will adjust how fast it will reach temp (ramp time). So you could take those coils all the way to 600f if you really wanted to. The people in the shop were right in one instance though, in general the eGo One Mega/Tron tank is pretty garbage, even with the CLR coils (rebuildables). Although taste is very subjective, I have found that myself, and most people who try my settings agree, the sweet spot for that tank and those coils (all Temp Control coils for this tank) is between 500f-550f at 30W-35W.

A basic rundown of the settings:
Temp Ni - for Ni200(Nickel) coils
Temp Ti - for Titanium coils
Temp SS - for Stainless Steel coils
Power - for Kanthal coils (regulated: controls the power level)
Bypass - for Kanthal coils (unregulated: simulates a mech mod)

Caution
Nickel coils MUST be used in Temp Ni mode
Titanium coils MUST be used in Temp Ti mode
Kanthal can ONLY be used in Power/Bypass modes
BUT Stainless Steel can be used in both Temp SS mode and Power/Bypass modes (Pretty Sweet :p)

In Temp Control modes, the wattage affects ramp time (how long for the coil to heat up to temp) but the Temp Control will kick in to prevent the coils from exceeding the set temp (Temp Protection). Temp control allows the ability to find a juices sweet spot (juices can taste different at different temperatures) and keep it there, giving you the most flavor from your juices.

This is an AMAZING mod, it's just a shame it came with just a poorly designed tank matched to it. I would recommend getting a new tank for your mod to truly shine. Ironically, I've found this tank works best with the CLR coils, sitting atop my SMPL mod! hahaha
View attachment 37990

Ahhh okay, I have a better understanding now, thanks for your extended reply! I was really tasting the juice when I first got it but throughout the day changing settings I haven't really been able to taste it, almost like it burnt but I don't know. I'm going to hit up the shop in a couple hours and pick up a new tank.

Ahhh okay, I have a better understanding now, thanks for your extended reply! I was really tasting the juice when I first got it but throughout the day changing settings I haven't really been able to taste it, almost like it burnt but I don't know. I'm going to hit up the shop in a couple hours and pick up a new tank.
So I got a tobecco mini super tank, so far I really like it. I love that I can refill it from the top just by taking the mouth piece off. Started at 35 watts in power mode. I bumped it up to 50, better flavor and more vapor for sure. Are there any complications between the mod I have and a new tank? Like is it safe to vape at 50+ with my mod? I was reading the .2 coil I'm using I can go from 50-150.

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No, theres no problem at all. Most mods/rda/tanks are interchangeable. The mod can handle the full 75W perfectly safely, its the coils that have to be watched.
In other words, as long as the coil is rated at 150W, you can put a full 150W safely through the coil.
And whatever Wattage a Mod is rated at, it can safely handle delivering that full Wattage.
So a 150W device can safely run at 150W with a 150W coil if you wanted to.
You can turn up your Evic with that 0.2Ω coil to the full 75W if you want without worry, hope that helps

VU Sponsors