Become a Patron!

Just got My first RDA, next a mod upgrade?

Skuba_STI

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
been vaping for only 2-3 weeks using a istick 50w with a delta 2 tank. Went to check out a local shop Monday night and couldn't resist grabbing a rda. The guy reccomended a mutation x v4. I'm still getting the hang of it. First night I had made a mess over dripping. Last night I wasn't leaking but was goin crazy to try and find the rite air setting for flavor and cloud. Ultimately im thinking for a rda I should upgrade mods. The istick is great with a tank when I'm at work with that never dying battery, but since I have a addictive personality I know within a few weeks I'll have a collection of rda's lol.
So my question is, what mod would you guys reccomend. I was looking at some of the popular options like sigelei, snow wolf, ipv3,....
I'm sure it's like every other hobby where it boils down to personal preference. But you guys all seem to have some great info with real world trial and error to compare.
Thanks for any input!

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
We all have addictive personalities. That's why we vape, buy more flavors and hardware, and are on these forums. It's to satisfy our addictions lol. And half the fun of buying more gear is doing the research. My philosophy to buying gear is, buy something you can grow in to. Out of what you have listed for some examples, My preference would be sigelei. That's just me though. I'd consider something with temp control even if you don't have plans to vape in temp. Plans can change, You can always just vape in power mode if that's what you like. Have fun...
BTW, I have a 01 RS 2.5...Would love to get a STI:eek:

Skuba_STI

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
We all have addictive personalities. That's why we vape, buy more flavors and hardware, and are on these forums. It's to satisfy our addictions lol. And half the fun of buying more gear is doing the research. My philosophy to buying gear is, buy something you can grow in to. Out of what you have listed for some examples, My preference would be sigelei. That's just me though. I'd consider something with temp control even if you don't have plans to vape in temp. Plans can change, You can always just vape in power mode if that's what you like. Have fun...
BTW, I have a 01 RS 2.5...Would love to get a STI:eek:
Funny bc I love the old rs coupes. Actually may be selling the Sti soon. In nyc our roads are not racecar friendly! Itching for a raptor

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Don't want to take your thread in the wrong direction, but yea, love the subies. The Raptor is tuff looking. I see one, I want one, but don't need one.
Any luck on finding your next mod? I really like the Sig 150tc, but it can't do ti, it's not got an upgrade port either. I do like the yihi board devices, and am watching the dna200. So many new mods coming out. I'm just going to sit back and give it a while before I make any new purchase. I'm in a happy place for the moment.

Skuba_STI

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Don't want to take your thread in the wrong direction, but yea, love the subies. The Raptor is tuff looking. I see one, I want one, but don't need one.
Any luck on finding your next mod? I really like the Sig 150tc, but it can't do ti, it's not got an upgrade port either. I do like the yihi board devices, and am watching the dna200. So many new mods coming out. I'm just going to sit back and give it a while before I make any new purchase. I'm in a happy place for the moment.
Been too busy at work to research more. I know the sigelei has a big following so I guess you can't go wrong with them. I haven't even gotten into building coils yet so ti isn't a deal breaker. I always see guys in the vape shops using ivp mods also so I guess either one I can't go wrong with and both would leave plenty of room to grow into as I get different rda's.

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Been too busy at work to research more. I know the sigelei has a big following so I guess you can't go wrong with them. I haven't even gotten into building coils yet so ti isn't a deal breaker. I always see guys in the vape shops using ivp mods also so I guess either one I can't go wrong with and both would leave plenty of room to grow into as I get different rda's.
No mod if perfect, some may better than others. I've never owned a p4y product. Have researched them plenty though. I've seen more then one post about p4y customer support being absent, and others don't like how they feel like they are being used as free beta testers. The ip4 is a good example. People love them, I'm sure they are fantastic items. But to push that out, then the ipv4s right on it's heels left a bad taste in the community. Other manufacturers do it too, but I think maybe p4y does it more than necessary.

Skuba_STI

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No mod if perfect, some may better than others. I've never owned a p4y product. Have researched them plenty though. I've seen more then one post about p4y customer support being absent, and others don't like how they feel like they are being used as free beta testers. The ip4 is a good example. People love them, I'm sure they are fantastic items. But to push that out, then the ipv4s right on it's heels left a bad taste in the community. Other manufacturers do it too, but I think maybe p4y does it more than necessary.
Actually I seen posts from springtime that the company who did their warranty claims dropped them so any ipv don't have warranty now I guess

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Asmodus carried the warranty. Some other company covers them now. Not sure how credible they are.

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
mutationx v4 was my first RDA too. Ive only been dripping for around 2 months or less. Of course only vaping at all for no more than 6 months. ANyway, thus far the mutationx has been the leakiest of all my RDAs that ive used thus far.

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've got an ipv4. Probably somewhere in the first release area ( painted over the serial number so I have no idea) but I don't have any issues with it. Upgraded from an itazte mvp 2 so my basis for comparison is a little skewed but I feel like the price point vs available features was spot on. Haven't had a need to use P4Y CS thus far and updating was a breeze (which effectively makes it an ipv4s as far as functionality goes). 120 watts is more than I've needed so far and I'm waiting to get some ti wire to really push tc mode. Do your research but don't merely go off of someone else's review. Figure out what you want to run off of the device and then figure out what device serves that niche best would be my advice

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm happy with my Sigelei 100 Plus & 150W, as well as my newer IPV4s.

There's no shame in wanting to buy more RDAs! I'm at 50 now! :D

Skuba_STI

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well last night I went by my local shop to have them look and see why everything tastes like crap. A change of the cotton free led me to go a whole other direction lol. Ended up leaving with some space rocks juice. A stainless rig V2 mech mod, 2 batteries and the charger I can't think of the name for at the moment. But it's a popular one that does a fast charge on 4 batteries. The owner also threw me a pack of
Cotton and 26g wire to play with.

Skuba_STI

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Kinda wish I got the copper now though. Wasn't even thinking about conductivity just picked stainless to
Match the carbon fiber mutation xv4 I have

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Kinda wish I got the copper now though. Wasn't even thinking about conductivity just picked stainless to
Match the carbon fiber mutation xv4 I have
Cooper is nice, but the up keep stinks. If you let it patina it can get sticky and smelly. Stainless is hassle free, minor lose of conductivity. Plus stainless will fair better if dropped. You made the right choice imo.

Skuba_STI

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Cooper is nice, but the up keep stinks. If you let it patina it can get sticky and smelly. Stainless is hassle free, minor lose of conductivity. Plus stainless will fair better if dropped. You made the right choice imo.
Thanks. That's actully kinda what I had said to the guy was the stainless I won't have to worry about scratches and fingerprints as much as with the copper or brass. Now I gotta do more reading though, I knew their was safety risk while using a mechanical but not for nothing some of the stories you read about hybrids can scare the crap out of a newb lol.

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So long as your atty has a sufficient amount of pin protrusion, know your batteries limitations, don't build a ridiculous low ohm coils. You will be fine. Build no lower then .4 or .5 for now. You'll be good.
Use this web site if you don't already have it bookmarked: http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp

Skuba_STI

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So long as your atty has a sufficient amount of pin protrusion, know your batteries limitations, don't build a ridiculous low ohm coils. You will be fine. Build no lower then .4 or .5 for now. You'll be good.
Use this web site if you don't already have it bookmarked: http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp
Thanks. I've seen that site mentioned. I got a mutation x v4. And my batteries limitations as far as?

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks. I've seen that site mentioned. I got a mutation x v4. And my batteries limitations as far as?
The link I sent is your teaching buddy. Depending on what amps your batteries are rated for(Limitation of battery)will affect the coils you choose to build. All batteries are not created equal btw.

Ex: I'll use a typical safe build that I use...I have samsung inr 25r battery. Steamengine says that with that battery, and I build a .5 ohm setup, I can safely vape this setup. The battery will have plenty of headroom for a safe vape...Headroom=not over taxing your battery and pushing past the limit(ation)of safety.

Go to the link I sent you, play around with some of the settings, click the battery drain tab. Things will start to become easier to understand for you. That's how I learned, probably many here did the same thing. Hybrid mods can be a bit unnerving for anybody new to it. I have a couple, but rarely use them anymore, unless I'm feeling nostalgic.

Skuba_STI

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The link I sent is your teaching buddy. Depending on what amps your batteries are rated for(Limitation of battery)will affect the coils you choose to build. All batteries are not created equal btw.

Ex: I'll use a typical safe build that I use...I have samsung inr 25r battery. Steamengine says that with that battery, and I build a .5 ohm setup, I can safely vape this setup. The battery will have plenty of headroom for a safe vape...Headroom=not over taxing your battery and pushing past the limit(ation)of safety.

Go to the link I sent you, play around with some of the settings, click the battery drain tab. Things will start to become easier to understand for you. That's how I learned, probably many here did the same thing. Hybrid mods can be a bit unnerving for anybody new to it. I have a couple, but rarely use them anymore, unless I'm feeling nostalgic.
Awesome. Thanks. I'm thinking I shoulda just grabbed the sigelei for same price lol but ill probably grab that next for my tank I carry at work

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I was pokin around the forum here and found another member that has some very interesting links in his signature. I guarantee he knows way more about all this stuff then I do. Click on @State O' Flux links in his signature if you want to vape like a pro. I've been reading and learning since my last post. I highly recommend bookmarking.

Awesome. Thanks. I'm thinking I shoulda just grabbed the sigelei for same price lol but ill probably grab that next for my tank I carry at work

I wasn't going to say anything, but, If your new to vaping and the guy at the store that sold you a hybrid, he should have not done that imo. He wasn't looking out for your best interest. But since you have it now, you need to learn how to use it with confidence. Learning what to do, and more importantly what not to do is important. Oh, still get that sigelei also. Good company and products.

i just ordered the LG HD2's from illumn.com at $5 a battery, so im pretty happy with that. I have yet to receive the batteries so I can not tell you how good, great, ok, or bad they are. I hope they last a good amount of time, but keep in mind its only 2000mah's. Illumn.com has every 18650 battery you can think of, and on price point, mah's and amps I decided to go with the hd2's. He has the highly sought after sony vtc4's and theyre $6 per battery on this site. Its in backorder but I emailed them and they told me itll be in stock by September 2 and shipping out. So if u wanted those order now so u can have them by September 7-10, which what the guy at illumn told me. Maybe I should have waited and ordered the sony's but I didn't. Anyways updates on lg hd2?

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yea, I trust illumn.com I get all my batts from them. You can bet they are the real deal. I just got the new lg he2(brown)they are 3000mah. So far they are great. I use them in a regulated.

Yea, I trust illumn.com I get all my batts from them. You can bet they are the real deal. I just got the new lg he2(brown)they are 3000mah. So far they are great. I use them in a regulated.
illumn.com must be making a killing ever since the vaping world went 18650 26650. He can thanks vapors for his profits lol

Skuba_STI

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Your rite that he shouldn't have been so
Quick to sell a newb a hybrid. But i also went in there with a lot of questions and stuff a lot of newbs probably wouldn't ask. That's why he gave me free packs of wire and cotton because he said I can already tell your gonna get into building and more into vapeing. But it was definitely a impulse buy along with the
Mutation v4. I probay would have enjoyed a flavor chasing atty more with less leaking with a new dripper using it. But it's growing on me.

VU Sponsors