Become a Patron!

Just need to know...Coils +Mods

John Vezirian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ok, I am a certified NOOB!!!!!!

New to vaping, and having lots of fun with it, I Bought a Kangertech K-Box and really love it, have bought several tanks, Plus, Nano, Mini and Aerotank, I also purchased a Vision MK series tank, hell just liked the way it looked.

My problem is this. The K-box is rated to 40w, my tanks are .5ohm, 15w-30w (the mfg coils) and it works just fine, no problems, no worries.

The Vision MK has .2ohm coils, and the K-Box will not power the tank or the coil, just blinks 3 times and shuts down, I believe it cannot handle the coil, and the protection kicks in.

I am not all that up on my ohm's laws so please some assistance. So a .2 needs more power correct, vs the .5ohm?

I am looking at their
Vision DEUS 65W 18650 Mechanical MOD
http://www.visioncig.com/vision-deus-65w-18650-mechanical-mod.html

I am wondering if this will be ok, and or if anyone can recommend a good unit for this tank.

Any constructive help would be greatly appreciated..

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am not all that up on my ohm's laws so please some assistance. So a .2 needs more power correct, vs the .5ohm?
Yes. If you apply ohms law, using a unregulated 3.8v constant (or any constant you want... I use 3.8v because 4.2v is short lived) and your 0.2Ω net resistance, you need 72 (or 88 if a 4.2v constant) watts for parity.
That's a baseline, not taking into account the application of "forced" wattage to offset a non-optimal build... which is why it's not a bad idea to buy a device that has a higher peak wattage value than you think you need.

John Vezirian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thank you for your reply...

Here is the curious problem I am trying to solve. I have the following tanks(yes I wen a little all out, I liked the look of them all):
  • My Box is a Kangertech K-box, has 8, 13,20,25,35,40 watt settings, using Panasonic 3400mah batteries inside, they seem to work very well.
  • Kangertech Sub-tank Plus The big one, uses the typical 0.5 ohm 15w-30w OCC coils, works great, great vape and taste. I keep the K-Box at about 20watts.
  • Kangertech Sub-tank Mini, uses the typical 0.5 ohm 15w-30w OCC coils, works great, keep the box about 20 watts.
  • Kangertech Sub-tank Nano, uses the typical 0.5 ohm 15w-30w OCC coils, works great, keep the box set about 20 watts works the best.
  • Knagertech Aerotank V2, uses single dual coil in the unit, 1.2 ohm (etched on the side of the coils), fires and works good, still working with settings as I got burnt taste at first, I had to set the K-Box to 8w, air to 3 holes, pre-soak the coils and clean out, it is working much better, still a work in progress.
  • Kangertech Aerotank Turbo, Quad coil unit, it uses (2) of the 1.8 ohm coils (etched on the side of the coils), running this about 25 watts to 30 watts, still playing with this.
  • Kangertech Sub-tank, the 6mil one just before the new sub-tank plus, I run it with the same 0.5 ohm coil 15w - 30w coils at 20 watt setting, works just fine.
So here is the thing, I bought a Vision Mk, just liked the look, it uses a 0.2 ohm coil, the coil say 30w - 100w on the side, I have tried to use the tank on my K-box set at 30w and 40w and it blinks 4 times and then nothing, the unit does not fire, not sure what the issue is? Is the .2 ohm indicative of needing more power? Is it indicative of too much resistance.

Yep, I am an electrical NOOB, well in a way. I am an Architect, hell ask me about panels and services and I can work with that for my building from experience, but when it gets down to the nuts and bolts, I have to rely on my engineers, lol...

Thanks for the assistance.

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thank you for your reply...

Here is the curious problem I am trying to solve.
So here is the thing, I bought a Vision Mk, just liked the look, it uses a 0.2 ohm coil, the coil say 30w - 100w on the side, I have tried to use the tank on my K-box set at 30w and 40w and it blinks 4 times and then nothing, the unit does not fire, not sure what the issue is? Is the .2 ohm indicative of needing more power? Is it indicative of too much resistance.
Any VW mod with an "allowable" minimum resistance value programing, regardless of the peak output wattage, will not respond to net resistances below that chip protection value. It's just as much to protect the chipset as to protect the user from dumb things like dead shorts.

John Vezirian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yep... Just found that out, was doing a bit more research and it appears that the K-Box will not fire anything below 0.4 ohm, has protection, their instructions and spec info are crap, lol, had to find info on another site, much more detailed data and review. So looks like I need to find a little Mod for the tank if I want to use it at all, does not appear that Vision makes a higher coil for the unit.

Hey thanks again for the replies.

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
their instructions and spec info are crap,
Yep. Chinglish can make no sense at all... then when a good many US vendors carry the product, they take the Chinglish specs and print them as is, with no attempt at refinement. Bit of a vicious circle, with 3.14 of the circumference missing.

Might want to start rebuilding... optimizing the resistance to the available wattage.

John Vezirian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yep... Have been looking to see if could get a different coil, like a .5 or 1.8, 1.2, the Aspires look similar, maybe I will take one apart and look at the guts....

streakerz10

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I think the best thing would be to get a regulated mod that fires down to .1 or .2ohms especially if you have no or very little knowledge of ohms law or how to build or how to check for shorts when you do build and battery safety need to now what your batteries can handle so the best advice is get a regulated mod

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Either get a Sigelei 150W, or a IPV4. They will both handle the .2 and .3 coils with more than enough power. .2 and .3 ohm coils require a LOT of power to generate decent vapor. I'm running an Arctic Tanks with a .2 coil head at 70 watts. Puts out a lot of vapor at that setting.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey @John Vezirian ...howdy and welcome to Vaping Underground! I am glad you stopped by and hope you hang around and stay awhile :)

Ok, I agree with @Zamazam and @State O' Flux ....those two cats know their stuff and I follow their advice and learn things from them...

BUT....one thing I noticed is your choice of batteries....well the Panasonic you're using has a nice high MAH rating, it's got a low continuous amp drain limit....that is how fast you can drain your battery from fully charged to empty. Those 3400 mah Panasonic batteries have a max continuous drain rating of 6.8 amps which even in regulated devices isn't enough power to push those .2 sub ohm coils anyway. I agree you should just grab something like the Segelei 150. It's got a power range of 10 watts to 150 watts and will fire coils down to .1 ohms no problem. But even with the built in safety features of a regulated mod like that you still need batteries with a much higher max continuous drain rating to safely power the unit...and if you get the Segelei or something like that you're going to need a pair to run it...it simply can not run off one battery it will not work. So you will need to get at least two pairs of the same time of battery and keep them married...only use them together in that mod, recharge them at the same time together...and you cannot mix and match them with other batteries, it would be dangerous to do so.

You're going to need at least two pairs so you always have a charged pair ready to go when the other one needs to be recharged. The batteries I recommend are either Sony VTC 3's or 4's (The Store Sun Vapors supposedly just got a fresh stock of VTC 5's. Those batteries are highly counterfitted and do not buy them from anywhere else right now till we can confirm more authentic ones are back on the market.) Along with the Sony batteries Samsung 20R's or 25R's will work well as well as LG's HD2's or HB6's are the batteries I would recommend for a mod like that....all of the batteries I just listed have a max continuous drain rating of 20 amps or higher and will safely power a high wattage device and run those low ohm coils for those tanks. the numbers "18650" in all of the batteries description refers to the size of the battery...they are 18 mm in diameter and 65.0 mm's tall. I'll list the batteries below again so it's easier to see the types I listed and you can copy/paste/google to read up on them...

Sony VTC 3 <---30 amp continuous drain rating
Sony VTC 4 <----30 amp continuous drain rating
Samsung 20R <---22 amp continuous drain rating
Samsung 25R <-----20 amp continuous drain rating
LG HD2 <----- 25 amp continuous drain rating
LG HB6 <------ 30 amp continuous drain rating

Even with factory made coils you should have a basic working knowledge and understanding of ohm's law to be safe you so know how fast and how much power is being drained by your atty from your unit at it's current power settings. I would stick to regulated mods till you have a good basic grasp on things and not look at mechs for awhile...mechs are a whole different beast...the only safety features a mech mod has is the health of your battery and the knowledge in your head. With so many good regulated high powered devices on the market right now it's better to go with them in the beginning and have the extra safety features and the control of the wattage settings. I hope this helps...I am going to link my standard catologe of threads and an ohm's law calculator here for you to look threw and play with to help fill in any gaps in your vaping knowledge and make it easier for you to shop and look for things...if you know the stuff in it than disregard but I am just trying to help. Happy vaping and good luck picking out a new mod :)

http://thelocust.net/ohm/ <----ohm's law calculator
http://vapingunderground.com/thread...-sick-clouds-bro-thread-sticky-edition.78126/
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/looking-for-the-best-sub-tanks-and-rda.73126/#post-428210
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/new-sort-of-to-vaping-and-want-huge-clouds.57203/#post-342138

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have those panasonic batteries in a vamo and they work fine because its a low amp device. That said definitely get some trusted higher amp batteries, wouldn't want something crazy happening with trying to over push your batteries. Mah rating doesn't always mean much, and you really gotta look at amperage on your batteries to ensure it's a good fit for whatever device you're using them in.

John Vezirian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks for the information all... Yep this is definitely a learning process, my error on the Pano's.. I could have swore I thought they were high drain. I do have a pair of Efest IMR 18650 3,7V 2800mah 35A Max Continuous Discharge, these came recommended fo0r the K-Box, which I currently use, for my tanks. They all seem to work of the Pano's and the Efest, but actually I think they do work off the Efest a bit better, I would like to get a little higher Mah battery, although the 2800's do last me a good bit of time, I did see some 3100's that are a 20A rated, they are a button top battery, I assume they would work also, not sure the advantages of the flat top vs button top. But Probably just going to order another set of the 2800's and call it good

I had spoke to the Vision folks, they told me they had tested the MK, on a Kanger, but kind of doubt that, as Kanger did not recommend anything under 0.4ohm on the K-Box, so going to get another Mod, for that and to play with it, looking at the Segelei 150, and few others.

I attached my batteries I currently have.IMG_0087.JPG

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the information all... Yep this is definitely a learning process, my error on the Pano's.. I could have swore I thought they were high drain. I do have a pair of Efest IMR 18650 3,7V 2800mah 35A Max Continuous Discharge, these came recommended fo0r the K-Box, which I currently use, for my tanks. They all seem to work of the Pano's and the Efest, but actually I think they do work off the Efest a bit better, I would like to get a little higher Mah battery, although the 2800's do last me a good bit of time, I did see some 3100's that are a 20A rated, they are a button top battery, I assume they would work also, not sure the advantages of the flat top vs button top. But Probably just going to order another set of the 2800's and call it good

I had spoke to the Vision folks, they told me they had tested the MK, on a Kanger, but kind of doubt that, as Kanger did not recommend anything under 0.4ohm on the K-Box, so going to get another Mod, for that and to play with it, looking at the Segelei 150, and few others.

I attached my batteries I currently have.View attachment 22896
Prepare for the Efest onslaught....

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Alot of people have had bad experiences with efest. Personally never used em except for an 18350 I use in my vamo. That said, stay the hell away from vamped batteries. Long story short that "40"amp battery gets mighty hot in a vamo, so I'm only guessing what it would do in a bigger mod, but it probably wouldn't be good.

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
OK, i TAKE IT THAT WAS A DIRTY WORD?????????
None of the batteries that advertize greater than 30 amps are being truthful about the data. They either fudge the testing, or do not actually identify the amp rating as Maximum Continuous Current Discharge (MCCD)... with "continuous" being the key word you find missing.
These high ratings you see are typically a momentary or pulse discharge value... without the benefit of a time frame for that discharge. As I recall, without looking it up... the Efest is actually a 20A MCCD.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
OK, i TAKE IT THAT WAS A DIRTY WORD?????????
They are rewrapped batteries. Some are in fact fudging numbers, some are not. I use efest batteries, some won't on principal. Just stay the hell away from anything with "fire" in the name. You want a high drain imr.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Im surprised nobody in china has made catchfire batteries yet. Lets see there's trust fire ans sure fire so far i know of.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

I attached my batteries I currently have.View attachment 22896
I would trust neither of those batteries in a mech, let alone a regulated device.
Efeest is a crap shoot at best, potential of a handful of fuck at worse.
Assuming that is a panasonic it has no where near the amp limit you need to be in the realm of safety.

@madmonkey has stated
Sony VTC 3 <---30 amp continuous drain rating
Sony VTC 4 <----30 amp continuous drain rating
Samsung 20R <---22 amp continuous drain rating
Samsung 25R <-----20 amp continuous drain rating
LG HD2 <----- 25 amp continuous drain rating
LG HB6 <------ 30 amp continuous drain rating

But I will throw in the MXJO into the mix.

Go outside these and your vaping bliss might be a vaping disaster.
Oh and if you get a mod that takes a pair those pair are married to each other, period.

John Vezirian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well I have been using the Efest batteries in my K-Box and have had no issues, in fact they have worked quite well with the 0.5ohm coils at the 20w setting, get good vape and actually very nice taste, the panos have even worked very well, but I have not tried anything that needs more power. I bough the Vision MK but was not paying attention to it being 0.2 ohm, and the K-Box specifically states nothing below 0.2ohm's so that was my error. I am going to get a higher power regulate mod, and try that route, as for the batteries, I will probably go ahead and order some sony's or LG's.

Does anyone have any opinions on the Keeppower brand batteries? I have a EHPRO "Big Budda" just arrived (my delving into the RBA realm, and I have a "Guns Blazin" mod arriving this next week, I was reading some reviews and suggestions, few videos, and these were recommended I ordered (2) IMR 26650 5200 mah units, but they are 15A continuous 30A pulse, hoping they will work in the MOD ok, or did I step into it again....LOL

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Efests will most likely serve you well in the k-box at .5. and low wattage. It is regulated and a mild mod all things considered. I would not trust them in a mech or a high powered box like my Sigelei 150, even though I run the 150 very conservative usually.

If you want to push some power or go mech, which in my opinion is pointless unless you are running some type of rebuildable atty, invest in quality cells (the ones listed in above posts, LG, Sony, Samsung) from trustworthy sources like http://liionwholesale.com . Great place, great prices, great service, and they are on this forum. Your hands, face, family, and friends will thank you later!

Also before you go wrapping coils, please get an ohm meter if you don't already have one.

Vape safe and vape on!

John Vezirian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Oh I plan on investing in one this weekend, but I also wanted to ask for opinions on some of the RBA rebuild kits I have seen, are they worth the investment? They have a 510 meter, although I plan to buy something a bit better.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh I plan on investing in one this weekend, but I also wanted to ask for opinions on some of the RBA rebuild kits I have seen, are they worth the investment? They have a 510 meter, although I plan to buy something a bit better.

To answer your questions...I haven't used Keeppower batteries but I am pretty sure they're rewrapps as well...if you can even find a spec sheet on a battery and compare it to one of the major know trusted manufactorers like we listed you'll start to notice that things are all too simular to be a coincidence...that being said I think they're actually one of the better rewrappes but I don't want to speak wrong and shoot myself in the foot by saying that since I've never used them...The only rewrapped batteries I trust is AW brand batteries which are uber expensive or Orbtronic brand batteries, which are also uber expensive....those two brands get the pick of the litter from battery manufactorers and get the best cells and rewrap them and sell them at a higher price claiming the best quality to justify it....and I buy them sometimes...AW has always been the only good source of 18350's and 18490's in my opinion and now that I have a mini nemi I get their 14500's too and they work great...but they don't really have any competition in the smaller sizes either so they kinda corner the market in that respect.

As for which atty to choose as your first...that's a very hard question to answer...drippers are like Lays potato chips, you can't have just one...depending on if you want flavor or clouds makes it important to know before you buy as well as different drippers are designed differently for these things. If you're going for flavor I would go for a Magma Clone made by Infinite, they seem to do the best one....it's a simple two post atty with adjustable airflow and is a standard in which flavor attys are measured by. if you're going for straight up clouds I would look at a Mutation X version 3 or 4, or a Dark Horse or a Doge for your first one....little more complicated to build on than a Magma but still easy and affordable enough to make it worth trying out.

The best thing you can do, even if you plan to buy online...is go to a brick and mortar if you have access to one that has a good selection of attys and look them over...I am all for supporting local business but I also know what it's like to vape on a budget so I understand which ever way you decide to by...but even if the guy at the shop is new there is no internet picture availible of anything that will give you a better feel for something than putting it in your hand...Tell them you want to check out some attys but don't let them pressure you into buying shit if you're not comfortable...you can always come back later and ask us here about a dripper in the meantime to make sure you get the right one and don't have buyer's remorse the next day when it's "not for you" :)

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ohms-law-illustrated.gif

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

I LOVE THIS! this is the best picture describing how things work by far...so stealing this for the ole' photobucket collection...thanks :D

John Vezirian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Wondered if could get an opinion on this meter:

DROK® Digital Volt Ohm Reader Meter Multimeter; Rechargeable Micro Portable Voltmeter Ohmmeter Tester Red LED display Module DC 0-12V 0-20Ω Voltage Resistance Detector Gauge

This was on Amazon, has a 510 connector, I have already ordered a Fluke meter, but curious about thes type of meters you can attach your RBA to.

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wondered if could get an opinion on this meter:

DROK® Digital Volt Ohm Reader Meter Multimeter; Rechargeable Micro Portable Voltmeter Ohmmeter Tester Red LED display Module DC 0-12V 0-20Ω Voltage Resistance Detector Gauge

This was on Amazon, has a 510 connector, I have already ordered a Fluke meter, but curious about thes type of meters you can attach your RBA to.

Here is something that may be of interest:
http://www.shop.usaohmmeters.com/

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Here is something that may be of interest:
http://www.shop.usaohmmeters.com/

If you don't mind spending a few extra bucks, those are high quality, I haven't heard anything bad about them and for 28 bucks they really aren't much more than their cheaper counterparts....again I don't have one personally but I plan to get one the next time I kill an ohm's meter and if they're as accurate as they claim to be with metering withen .018 accuracy then anyone that builds below .3 should grab one the next time they need one.

VU Sponsors