Become a Patron!

Just put in a new atomizer - spitting a lot

Belts

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I bought a Kangertech Topbox Mini Starter Kit the other day and wanted to change juices so I figured I'd put in a fresh atomizer that came in the box. It's a little wider than the one that was originally in the tank and the clouds are much thicker, but it's spitting out enough liquid that it's rather unpleasant, especially since there is nicotine in it.

I looked it up and a lot of people say it's cause there's not enough cotton on the coil, but this one had cotton pre-threaded and I really don't want to get into that, cause it looks like a major pain. So, I'm hoping there's something else I'm missing, like maybe I just haven't let it sit long enough or something.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
What's the resisitance of the atomizer you put in? How many watts are you vaping it?

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
forgive the question if its dumb, but are you saying that its kicking liquid out onto your toungue?

Belts

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What's the resisitance of the atomizer you put in? How many watts are you vaping it?
Is that the number next to the omega symbol? Cause that says 0.5. The one that I took out says 0.15. I'm pretty sure my mod has said 0.43 since I got it. At least that's what I remember and what it's on now. I've been changing the wattage between 30-60 and it spits liquid on all settings.

I checked and the cotton is touching the coil the whole way down and there's no pooled liquid from what I can tell by looking down the hole.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
the omega symbol is the symbol for "ohms"
it is a unit of measurement for resistance and is indicating the resistance of the atomizer.
your atomizer is flooded.
did you tear the cotton?
did you prime it?
how did you prime it?
also is coil screwed down all the way inside the tank?
when did this start?
how old is the coil?

Belts

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
the omega symbol is the symbol for "ohms"
it is a unit of measurement for resistance and is indicating the resistance of the atomizer.
your atomizer is flooded.
did you tear the cotton?
I don't think so. Like I said, this one came "pre-made" (sorry, I don't know all the lingo yet) in the box, so I didn't put the cotton in myself.
did you prime it?
I just filled the tank up about halfway like I did the first time and let it sit for a few minutes.
how did you prime it?
See above.
also is coil screwed down allthe way inside the tank?
Yes, I just made sure when I put it back in, and it's still happening.
when did this start?
On the first hit after I put it in.
how old is the coil?
Brand new from 3 days ago.

Also, I did check to make sure it's all authentic, and it is.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
ok, first I don't one of these things, but i'll give you the best information I can.
- that coil is optimized to run around 30w; however, the ONE coil I tried at a shop tasted like burnt hair above 28w, and seemed best around 24.
- take the coil out, and blow the juice out that's stuck in there, put it back in and you should be good to go.
- after its reassembled you might have to hold it upside down, close the airholes, and while its upside down blow into the driptip . this will clear air out of the air channels.
-then, let it burn off or a second at 25-30w and take an inhale.

- onto the lingo, I'm a little old school, and while I'm thrilled to see you put down cigarettes for vaping, (or are at least trying to) you really should learn a little bit on ohms law. Especially since you are starting out subohm. check the getting started threads and around and ask some questions pertainting to it. If for no other reason than as your vaping career advances you wont be playing catch up.

hope that helps, keep us posted
and congrats!

Belts

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks, man. I'll try that out. When you say let it burn off for a second, do you mean to hold the fire button without inhaling? Also, I apologize if I came off sounding crass. I didn't mean to. I do find all the science and technology behind this to be interesting, I just wasn't expecting to have to learn so much as opposed to simply picking up and lighting a cigarette, if you know what I mean. :p

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I know what you mean.
The ego pens and the lower power stuff is a little less involved; but, you still want to know the lingo, at least to talk to other vapors. What you have is a setup that I could only dream of when I started, and, with that much power available, someone should really know a little bit about whats involved. At least that's my opinion anyway.
You'll get it, if I can figure it out, anyone can.
but try that flooded thing; and, if all else fails try a new coil, only from now on, just put a few drops of liquid on the cotton of the coil and drip a few drops into it, then put in the tank and fill the tank.

Belts

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I know what you mean.
The ego pens and the lower power stuff is a little less involved; but, you still want to know the lingo, at least to talk to other vapors. What you have is a setup that I could only dream of when I started, and, with that much power available, someone should really know a little bit about whats involved. At least that's my opinion anyway.
You'll get it, if I can figure it out, anyone can.
but try that flooded thing; and, if all else fails try a new coil, only from now on, just put a few drops of liquid on the cotton of the coil and drip a few drops into it, then put in the tank and fill the tank.
I know I'll slowly learn over time and with more patience. I already have two other Nautilus tanks on the way! Anyway. I tried everything you said twice and it's still spitting, so I think I'll just give it a rest and try another one in a while if it's still having issues. I'm starting to feel sick from all the nicotine juice spraying into my mouth... XD

One thing I don't understand is why you would add a few drips directly into the coil to prime it. Wouldn't this be directly flooding it? I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation, and I'm curious to find out what it is.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
It's a way of priming the cotton in the coil. Avoids dry hits when you first power up.

Belts

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just noticed that if I turn my airflow to the middle setting it doesn't happen unless I take long pulls. I had it on max before.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
ohhhhh yeah, to much vacuum... I'm sorry, I should have thought of that.
like I said, I don't have that tank, (that's my excuse) lol
adjusting your airflow can stop it from pulling juice into the coil, which you figured out already lol

Belts

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's all good. I know about ohms now and how to prime new atomizers, so thanks! :p

And if I do happen to flood my coil, I'll definitely remember those tips you gave me.

Belts

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
While I'm thinking of it, what does the constant 0.43ohms that is constantly on my display screen tell me? Is it something I can/should change? And below it, it always says 0.00V, which I'm guessing the v is for volts?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
It's telling you the resistance of the coil. You can't change that unless you change your coil. V is volts, yes.

Belts

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So, I spoke too soon last night. It's still happening and it's happening with every coil I put in. I've been extra careful to make sure everything is tight, sealed, and that they are properly primed. This is really getting on my nerves, because all the nicotine juice squirting onto my tongue is making my stomach upset...

Belts

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is it possible to try a different tank on it?
Yeah, I have a Nautilus coming in the mail on Saturday. I'd be really upset if this one is actually shot, since it's not even a week old.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
oh damn dude, i'll be honest, I'm at a loss.

Belts

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
oh damn dude, i'll be honest, I'm at a loss.
I did take the whole thing apart to wash it between changing juices. I wonder if I messed something up then. Thing is, I'm very good at putting things together and was extremely careful about making sure everything was dry and properly put back together. I seriously just don't get it. I can clearly see into the coils that there is no excess liquid, yet I get the squirt now every time, no matter what coil, wattage, etc.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait until Saturday and hope I don't make the same mistake, whatever it was, again with my new tank.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
absolutely if he lost one or placed one in the wrong spot.
would totally explain everything

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is that the number next to the omega symbol? Cause that says 0.5. The one that I took out says 0.15. I'm pretty sure my mod has said 0.43 since I got it. At least that's what I remember and what it's on now. I've been changing the wattage between 30-60 and it spits liquid on all settings.

I checked and the cotton is touching the coil the whole way down and there's no pooled liquid from what I can tell by looking down the hole.
Just as an FYI, if the original coil said 0.15 it was probably a Ni200 coil and should be used in temperature control mode only!

Belts

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am 100% certain the o-rings all are in the right spot. I only took one off and put it back exactly where it was. I'm wondering if there is liquid somehow leaking in to where the top of the atomizer meets the bottom of the stem in the tank. How would I go about checking this?

Belts

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just put the original coil back in, the one that wasn't spitting. It's spitting too, now, but not nearly as much as the other ones I put in. If anything I guess I'll keep this one in until I get my new tank on Saturday.

Also, there is a vape shop about 20 minutes from here. It's actually where I got this, so I suppose if it ends up driving me too crazy that I can pay them a visit. :p

ayersbj

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
use a paper towel roll it tightly into a tip. small enough to go through your drip tip. after that put it in through your drip tip all way down to clean the top of your coil don't press too hard or you can push screen down on coil. this will clean the excess of juice from the coil. My tanks do that to me whenever i have too much or too little airflow. Just have to play with the airflow adjustment til its right for you. Also sub ohm like you are is usually done for dl hits... Meaning direct lung inhaling all way down instead of mtl hitting meaning inhaling vape into mouth then swallowing. Most new quitters are mtl and not dl vapors. I was too and that can cause the spit back as well for using subohm tanks at least to me it did. Congrats on quitting. Also i'm a wet vape meaning I exhale a little back into tank sometimes causes lots of moisture to build up which will cause spit back some so well cleaning you chamber with paper towel as described above will take care of that too.

Last edited:

ayersbj

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have also changed drip tip on tanks to help with this. Instead of a short one i use a longer drip tip. This helps as well

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just put the original coil back in, the one that wasn't spitting. It's spitting too, now, but not nearly as much as the other ones I put in. If anything I guess I'll keep this one in until I get my new tank on Saturday.

Also, there is a vape shop about 20 minutes from here. It's actually where I got this, so I suppose if it ends up driving me too crazy that I can pay them a visit. :p
And they didn't tell you how to use TC? It looks as if your kit came with 3 coils - an Ni200 coil (the 0.15), and clapton coil, and a regular kanthal coil. The clapton coil probably needs much higher wattage to perform properly. The last two are used in power mode, but you must use the Ni200 in TC mode.

Belts

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
OK so I changed my mode to Ni and it's on 200 degrees, but every time I hit the fire button, it automatically switches back to full power.

This is with the Ni200 and it's working fine right now set at 30 watts. What am I risking if I continue to use it this way? This is also how I was using it for 2 days before I decided to change atomizers.

The guys at the shop offered to show me but I stupidly declined thinking I could find a decent guide or video online. They even said that I should be able to, but I've only been able to find reviews for my model, not actual tutorials.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I DEF would bring it into them and tell them what it's doing.

Belts

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Scratch that. I had to take the tank off and put it back on so the mod would recognize it as a new atomizer before it would stay in Ni mode. Now it's hitting the smoothest it ever has. Thank you!!!!

Still curious as to what's going on with the other ones, but at least I have one that's working perfect now. :D

Belts

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Great. So I just found out the reason to not vape nickel on full power is because it can be toxic. I was doing this for 2 days like a chimney. I'm guessing I'll survive, I'm just hoping I won't grow a third arm or something (although that could be useful).

Belts

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Anyways, probably a stupid question, but can I vape the Ni200 on anything higher than 200C? The hits are definitely smoother now, but also pretty weak to what I was getting in full power mode.

Tried my other atomizers again out of curiosity and made sure to tell my mod it was a new one each time. Still getting a little spitting around 25-30W and it's like mouth spray when I turn it up to 50W or higher... Ugh, this is so frustrating. I'll just go back to the nickel again for now.

Last edited:

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Scratch that. I had to take the tank off and put it back on so the mod would recognize it as a new atomizer before it would stay in Ni mode. Now it's hitting the smoothest it ever has. Thank you!!!!

Still curious as to what's going on with the other ones, but at least I have one that's working perfect now. :D
Glad you got it working correctly!!!

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anyways, probably a stupid question, but can I vape the Ni200 on anything higher than 200C? The hits are definitely smoother now, but also pretty weak to what I was getting in full power mode.

Tried my other atomizers again out of curiosity and made sure to tell my mod it was a new one each time. Still getting a little spitting around 25-30W and it's like mouth spray when I turn it up to 50W or higher... Ugh, this is so frustrating. I'll just go back to the nickel again for now.
You can vape it at any temp that works for you! I'm not familiar with your box, but you probably also use wattage in temp control mode to adjust how fast the atty heats up. For instance, I may vape a coil at 500F and 30 watts, or at 500F and 60 watts - depending on the atty and the juice. There are some coils I've taken all the way up to the highest temp - turn it down if you get a funky taste. Also, do remember that the most accurate setting in TC is achieved with a COLD coil/tank. On many you have to lock in that cold resistance to get an accurate reading - it's not just enough to tell the mod it's a new atty (this should be in your instructions though).

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If your other coils are kanthal, use those in Power mode, not TC. Nickel in TC, Kanthal in Power. (you can also use stainless in tc AND in power)

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media

Just curious, but is there a reason you are using the Celsius setting for temperature control? In temperature control mode you can safely adjust the temperature up and down at will to play with it. TC will keep you from damaging your coil, although if you start getting a burnt taste, then you have probably gone too high and need to back it down a bit. It helps some people to write down their trial settings and thoughts so that they can easily go back to them. The best way is to start low and slowly work your way higher until you "dial in" the flavor/vapor that you like the most.

HTH!

Belts

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You can vape it at any temp that works for you! I'm not familiar with your box, but you probably also use wattage in temp control mode to adjust how fast the atty heats up. For instance, I may vape a coil at 500F and 30 watts, or at 500F and 60 watts - depending on the atty and the juice. There are some coils I've taken all the way up to the highest temp - turn it down if you get a funky taste. Also, do remember that the most accurate setting in TC is achieved with a COLD coil/tank. On many you have to lock in that cold resistance to get an accurate reading - it's not just enough to tell the mod it's a new atty (this should be in your instructions though).
I have no idea what cold resistance is or how to lock it in. I don't see anything about it in the instructions.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have no idea what cold resistance is or how to lock it in. I don't see anything about it in the instructions.
Your mod and your tank both at room temp. Let them sit for a bit without vaping.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
ahhhhhhhhhhh this is long but he discusses everything including the flooding and how to use the coils and set everything up for tc...

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
ahhhhhhhhhhh this is long but he discusses everything including the flooding and how to use the coils and set everything up for tc...
Because he's so well known for his short videos!! I do like the guy though. Too bad he isn't selling Ultima.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Because he's so well known for his short videos!! I do like the guy though. Too bad he isn't selling Ultima.
hahaha, right? he would give us the chemical make up of the electrolytes and how they stimulate the endocrine system to expedite the moisturization of our knuckles.

Belts

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Believe it or not, I watched the whole video, and it was quite helpful!

Also, today has been great as far as vaping issues go. I solved my spitting issues with the Kanger tank. The coils were all flooded. I had to blow the shit out of them with a full force of my lungs about 5 times each, but now they all vape smooth with no spitting. That, and my Nautilus tank came early today! :D

VU Sponsors