ManaBase

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
hey

i was just sitting around flipping thru forums and noticed some inquires about obtaining parts for builds.

so heres a few of my thoughts in the best places to get supplies.

i would strongly recommend you find a local electronics shop and build a relationship with those guys as some of your requirements and theirs may align and it can help out with a specialty group buy. another strong reason is it absolutely SUCKS BALLS to wait for 2 weeks for a Hammond box to show up so you can replace the one you just fucked up by drilling it too deep for the magnets (not that im bitter).

once you have a shop start thinking about what you want to build and what you have to order online.
build the unit on paper first, get a materials list and dimensions. the hard part of doing anything is the planning, soldering and epoxying shit is super easy but the planning will take work.

some shit your gonna need to order online like boards, 510s etc. obviously there are some direct links that make sense, like buy your fatdaddy 510's straight from fatdaddy's site. not some asshole selling his bulk buy for more than you can get originals from.that being said i personally have no issues whatsoever with non authentic gear (im typing this whole think while vaping on a chdna and a fasttech tugboat) if it vapes its good imo chances are strong im gonna mod it after too long anyway.

i would also recommend getting familiar with Alibaba if your interested in doing any sort of bulk builds. even if you think "im not in the bulk stage yet" there are a bunch of small run bulk buys you can get. even getting 10 buttons for this and future builds is an awesome way to save money and time. for instance http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/QN16-C2-16mm-blue-led-high_1255721714.html?s=p is the next button im thinking of getting. i would also look at finding some local people or even some online folks and do a bulk buy.

ebay is a decent resource as is a community like this in they buy-sell areas but beware every single person i know has gotten fucked at least once on ebay.

so there, i dont know if it helped but hopefully these few ideas will help some new makers n modders

hack your shit !!

Luke

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I usually plan my mods out, use a generic cad program. The exception is replacing a Chana board with a DNA board, super, super easy. A bit of soldering, a dab of hot glue and heat shrink tubing and you're in business. FatDaddy's 510's are a must.

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just got in a couple of the Varitube 28mm 510's, and will be replacing the 510 on my T6 this weekend.

ManaBase

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i could do a whole other post on tools and probably will one day. but your absolutely right free cad software is awesome for laying out a mod.

ManaBase

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just got in a couple of the Varitube 28mm 510's, and will be replacing the 510 on my T6 this weekend.
thats awesome you should take some photos of the process and make a thread. im sure some would love to see that mod 100 watts of floating pin awesomeness sounds like fun

where did you pick them up ?

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got 3 each of the 28 and 22 mm adjustable 510's. I have used the FattDaddy 510's also but wanted to try these. I have a couple of the DNA clone chips ordered and am going to try my hand at building a custom wooden box.

ManaBase

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I got 3 each of the 28 and 22 mm adjustable 510's. I have used the FattDaddy 510's also but wanted to try these. I have a couple of the DNA clone chips ordered and am going to try my hand at building a custom wooden box.

that's fuckin sweet you definitely gotta do some build logs ive never used the varitubes would love to see it

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I will try to remember to take a couple of pics of them side by side. The big difference that I can see right off is the thickness of the deck. the Varitube has a very thin deck.

I plan to order one of the FattDaddy squanker 510's at some point to try out. I have been looking and cant find any reviews of the squanking type connectors and cant find any.

ManaBase

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I plan to order one of the FattDaddy squanker 510's at some point to try out. I have been looking and cant find any reviews of the squanking type connectors and cant find any.

yea im working on a squanker right now too. FD looks like the one ill be using aswell

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have you looked into the kit? My question is the tube only extends about 3mm or so past the base of the connector, this will be where you add your tube that goes down into the juice bottle. The only place I see to solder the positive lead is onto the bottom ring. This worries me that there isnt going to be a good connection to the center pin, or that it is going to use the spring to make contact.

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Finally used my last keystone sled on a plastic translucent box. Not going to miss those :) Trying out some new sleds from my boy Tony Killebrew, they are the bomb! Cutting build time not having to grind the keystones for G boxes. Think he is gonna put some .28 meter bezels, dna 30-40 craddles, and a few other top secret parts later this week or next
http://snortinboar.com/store/index.php?route=common/home

bb4.jpg bb2.jpg Blue sleds.jpg

ManaBase

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i havnt gotten one but im looking at getting a v4
Have you looked into the kit? My question is the tube only extends about 3mm or so past the base of the connector, this will be where you add your tube that goes down into the juice bottle. The only place I see to solder the positive lead is onto the bottom ring. This worries me that there isnt going to be a good connection to the center pin, or that it is going to use the spring to make contact.

i honestly havnt got that far but im willing to sacrifice the float the v4 looks like it has a longer shaft maybe side solder to the shaft and drill the top cap out. im gonna try and find some dimensions for the v4 and throw together a 3d model of it.

Finally used my last keystone sled on a plastic translucent box. Not going to miss those :) Trying out some new sleds from my boy Tony Killebrew, they are the bomb! Cutting build time not having to grind the keystones for G boxes. Think he is gonna put some .28 meter bezels, dna 30-40 craddles, and a few other top secret parts later this week or next
http://snortinboar.com/store/index.php?route=common/home

View attachment 9197 View attachment 9198 View attachment 9199

this is actually where i am at on my squank project, designing a custom sled cause there's no way i can use a keystone. they are good for basic shit but i think we can all agree a custom sled makes ya feel like a rockstar

ManaBase

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
oh man i cant believe i forgot www.mouser.com

in all reality any electronic component you could possible want is for sale at mouser

Alibaba always interested me. I was looking at ordering coils. Just not sure what the eventual pricing will be.

VU Sponsors