Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
ALI ANDERSON / AUGUST 8, 2018 / NEWS & MEDIA

E-CIGARETTE manufacturer Juul Labs Inc is creating a new Bluetooth-linked vape which can detect if it’s being used by a minor.

The inbuilt system, to be launched in some Western European countries and Israel, will be able to detect a users age in a bid to stop teenagers from vaping their popular brand.

The Bluetooth tracker was originally designed to help former smokers watch their nicotine intake but CEO Kevin Burns has revealed it will now show how old its vaper is.

The move comes as Juul’s sleek e-cigarette, which looks like a USB, has been at the centre of media controversy this year with headlines and anti-vaping groups accusing it of getting a whole generation of teenagers and young people addicted to nicotine.

It has also been criticized by health and school officials who claim its not just it’s pocket-sized design which entices 15 to 24 year olds who make up the bulk of its demographic, but its range of fruit and candy flavors.

More than 2.1 million young people in America smoked e-cigarettes in 2017, the Food and Drug Administration reported, a market that Juul dominates with more than 70 per cent market share.

But Burns told Bloomberg News: “We’re not a lifestyle brand, we’re a functional product. We don’t want the product to seem cool.”

This age tracking system is the latest in a series of measures that the company is implementing to mitigate the backlash. Last June, the San Francisco-based company said that it would stop promoting its products online and would start advertising it as a stop smoking tool.

It also shelved plans to release 55 new flavors. More recently, Juul announced last month it will be selling lower-nicotine pods with a single Juul Pod containing around 5% nicotine and the new range, around 3%.

“We hope the availability of different nicotine strengths will continue to allow adult smokers the ability to explore what is best for them,” said company CEO Kevin Burns at the time.

Juul_in_hand.jpg

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I have not the slightest idea, it is in the development stages..
Well, it's not like people have any detectable physical characteristics that change the moment they turn 18 (or 19 or 21, depending on location).

The fact that it's "Bluetooth enabled" makes me think it will have to be paired to a particular person's phone in order to work, and you can can tell a lot about a person if you have an app installed on their phone...

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Well, it's not like people have any detectable physical characteristics that change the moment they turn 18 (or 19 or 21, depending on location).

The fact that it's "Bluetooth enabled" makes me think it will have to be paired to a particular person's phone in order to work, and you can can tell a lot about a person if you have an app installed on their phone...
Juul which is based out of San Francisco is up to something with this since they never spoke on behalf of the industry on the flavor ban that was just passed in there own town.

I am thinking if this gets developed they will ask to be exempt or they are all ready working with Govt officials, maybe the FDA too.

Last edited:

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Sounds terrifying really regardless how they get the data.

Papachaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Seems to me like juul is doing a better job of killing their business than the government could. The more they cave in to these idiots the more they are going to take away.
A mod that tracks my vaping habits and can report my age?
Sure I’ll use it..... just as soon as they bend over and kiss my ass right between the cheeks.

Carpe Nidor

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Juul which is based out of San Francisco is up to something with this since they never spoke on behalf of the industry on the flavor ban that was just passed in there own town.

I am thinking if this gets developed they will ask to be exempt or they are all ready working with Govt officials, maybe the FDA too.
They may well be working on a PMTA process....

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Control is the future of vaping ...next we’ll hear companies will remotely disconnect devices after X number of puffs and you will be limited to X number of uses per day

Bluetooth will likely connect to an app that has to have credit card verification via a charge back so it can be seen on the statement in case the kid pinches thier parents card for it ...doing so releases and unlocks the pod for use. You then have to have the device within X distance of active paired device for it to work to stop people from selling it on after unlocking.

I imagine the hack market will try to undo efforts ...think of shady characters inflating prices and selling this to kids jail broken all it will do is drive it underground or they simply move to another product to find other easier ways to get hold of a pod ....que big tobacco licking thier lips right about now

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Control is the future of vaping ...next we’ll hear companies will remotely disconnect devices after X number of puffs and you will be limited to X number of uses per day
Limiting the number of puffs someone takes per day is a sure way to get them to light up a smoke. Of course, that may be the plan. Meanwhile, my collection or mechanical squonkers will continue to give me however many (or few) puffs I desire.

You then have to have the device within X distance of active paired device for it to work to stop people from selling it on after unlocking.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. But there are other ways to verify the user with the app on the phone.

I imagine the hack market will try to undo efforts ...think of shady characters inflating prices and selling this to kids jail broken all it will do is drive it underground or they simply move to another product to find other easier ways to get hold of a pod ....que big tobacco licking thier lips right about now
It's won't be worth investing the effort to hack this. The Chinese will make simply make a device that doesn't have this "feature" that's compatible with Juul pods. Heck, there are already aftermarket Juul pods..

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Haha I don’t think (well hope) the first paragraph will really happen but I have a vision like that scene in the 5th element film at the beginning where it dispenses this cigarette with a huge ass filter on it ...if vaping eventually takes over tobacco use government will want similar taxes from it doesn’t make sense to limit use at this stage

Very true on the last point although don’t underestimate US brand loyalty and who knows this might be a warning shot from legislation to come they might be just ahead of the curve on this move

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Here is an interesting tidbit:

Bottom line: Juul appears to be taking the matter of underage usage seriously. Sources say the company has also considered using Bluetooth to set up geofences around schools which would shut the devices down on campus.

Papachaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Here is an interesting tidbit:

Bottom line: Juul appears to be taking the matter of underage usage seriously. Sources say the company has also considered using Bluetooth to set up geofences around schools which would shut the devices down on campus.

And wherever else the government deems vaping to be unacceptable. That’s a very slippery slope there.

Carpe Nidor

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
It’s strange we complain about the market being flooded with products and choice right now but I wonder in years to come whether we’ll look back and think it wasn’t all that bad after all
<3 :cloud:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Interesting that they talk about Americans in this article when the only release plans are in some Western European countries and Israel. I know Austria has hellish vaping restrictions, hope this never happens to the US

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What is a geofence?

A geofence is a virtual fence around a given geographic area. The geofence information is used by mobile devices to trigger events when an app in a mobile device breaches the fence. (Please Note: Users need to be opted-in via an app to receive these notifications) For instance when someone device comes within 100 meters of the latitude and longitude representing the center of your building, using cellular, Wi-Fi and GPS, the device will deliver an ‘Arrival’ event to that geofence. Once the opted-in user’s mobile device leaves the geofence, the device delivers a ‘Departure’ event from the geofence. For an optimal user experience, it’s best to use passive, ambient geofences that can run in the background and wake in opted-in user’s devices when they breach a geofence.

My Opnion:

The Juul will be Opted In during manufacturing and all that is required is to install the geofence on school campuses. .

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It’s strange we complain about the market being flooded with products and choice right now but I wonder in years to come whether we’ll look back and think it wasn’t all that bad after all
<3 :cloud:
You do not think we will look back and vierw it as bellbottoms and Troll Dolls?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some underage will get stuff they are not suposed to get.
However I do not feel that means we just just open the gates to them.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Interesting that they talk about Americans in this article when the only release plans are in some Western European countries and Israel. I know Austria has hellish vaping restrictions, hope this never happens to the US
They can't release a new device in the US without a PMTA. Yes, yes, I know there's a zillion post 8/8/16 devices on the market, but none of them have the high profile that Juul does. So the strategy is probably as follows: Introduce that "minor-resistant" tech in other markets to prove that it's effective and use that as an incentive for the FDA to issue a PMTA quickly.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They can't release a new device in the US without a PMTA. Yes, yes, I know there's a zillion post 8/8/16 devices on the market, but none of them have the high profile that Juul does. So the strategy is probably as follows: Introduce that "minor-resistant" tech in other markets to prove that it's effective and use that as an incentive for the FDA to issue a PMTA quickly.
Something along those lines I think too.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Last August, the FDA announced a major shakeup to the agency’s policy on e-cigs which included a PMTA deadline delay.
The infamous deeming rule has rocked the vaping world and led to the demise of several small well meaning vaping businesses. Many of these ventures were set up by ex-smokers who managed to quit with the help of e-cigarettes and were motivated to share the products that helped them quit with the rest of the world.
Then last August, the FDA announced a major shakeup to the agency’s policy on e-cigarettes which includes the de-nicotinization of cigarettes, and a PMTA deadline delay. Following that announcement, the FDA had issued a guidance titled Extension of Certain Tobacco Product Compliance Deadlines Related to the Final Deeming Rule, in order to formalize and explain this deadline extension.

The further extension of premarket review compliance deadlines covered by this guidance applies to all categories of newly regulated products that were on the market on August 8, 2016, including ENDS (e.g. e-cigarettes and e-cigars), hookah, pipe tobacco, and cigars. The compliance dates are being extended from November 8, 2017 (SE EX requests), May 8, 2018 (SE reports), and November 8, 2018 (PMTAs) to August 8, 2021 (SE EX requests, SE reports, and PMTAs for newly regulated combustible tobacco products, such as most cigars, pipe tobacco and hookah tobacco) and August 8, 2022 (SE EX requests, SE reports, and PMTAs for newly regulated noncombustible tobacco products, such as most ENDS
Electronic Nicotine Delivery System.
The World Health Organization defines ENDSs as devices that do not burn or use tobacco leaves but instead vaporise a solution the user then inhales. Electronic cigarettes are the most common prototype of ENDSs.
The main constituents of the solution, in addition to nicotine when nicotine is present, are propylene glycol, with or without glycerol and flavouring agents. ENDS solutions and emissions contain other chemicals, some of them considered to be toxicants.
">ENDS
or ecigarettes)
.” read the guidance.

Papachaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I did not say I agreed with it I was just forwarding the information that I found.

I understand you don’t agree with it. I’m just saying that it could be employed anyway that the government chooses.

Carpe Nidor

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I understand you don’t agree with it. I’m just saying that it could be employed anyway that the government chooses.

I never mentioned any politics I only posted some facts about the technology and possible uses. So no reason to quote me.

Papachaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Simply trying to add a little food for thought to the excerpt that you posted. Apologies if it came across wrong.

Carpe Nidor

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
You do not think we will look back and vierw it as bellbottoms and Troll Dolls?

Free love and juice hugging

Tickets to see the Voltrove and other vaping wonders....yes people actually used to vape on products like this back in the early part of the century

Mummy ....what’s vaping ....well times were different back then and it’s was before we discovered safer alternatives like direct brain electronic stimulation therapy (D-BEST), now listen to your schooling download please I need to get back to servicing this machine ... contact lens ends transmission

VU Sponsors