Become a Patron!

Kanger single coil, Tank magic.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Some probably have already seen that im a big fan of the some kanger tanks..Mainly the evod..Ive drilled my evod breather holes out and build my own coils as some have done as well..Nothing special here.

Tonight i was sitting back just looking at a coil head all apart and decided to give something a try..We all know you can only draw in as much air to the coil as the diameter of the center pin hole which is about 1/16 of an inch in diameter and through to the top tube as well of the coil assembly.

I have a blue point finger drill set that i used mainly for holley carburetor tuning back in my racing days and decided i wanted to see if i could slowly drill this pin out by hand..My drill bit size of choice?...the ever popular 5/64 drill bit...This seems to be as large as you can go and not go through the tube section on the sides or at least weaken so much that it will crush easily...5/64 also gives you a hole from edge to edge of the slot on the face.

I drilled from the face of the pin upward ,into the hollow tube section until of course i was fully through the tube...moved the bit around back and forth to clean out any burs or whatnot and there we have a larger air supply to the coil.

So how does it work?..Well i built a new coil in my protank 2 mini clone and used this pin...Previously the breather hole in the tank were drilled out to 1/16 and tonight decided to go for the gusto with the new pin...5/64 is the new diameter of the breather holes...All i can say is, if you can do this, to do it ...improvement in vapor production is the most ive gotten from any of my kanger tanks as of right now..Flavor is still good but vapor..just wow.

I have a feeling it cant get any better for the single coil kanger tank performance wise or any tanks using the same center pin design that can be drilled out like this one..If you have a 5/64 drill bit and a spare pin, this is a must try modification for your standard kanger tanks.

Thanks for looking and if you try this, please report how you may have liked it or disliked it.

20150207_024116.jpg

Last edited:

ApeMustNotKillVape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yes, I have though about this many times since I have drilled out the base air holes on my T3S.
But I always thought the sidewalls would be too thin and crush during rebuilding. I will give it a try this weekend.
The thought of it reminds me of secondary work I did in a machine shop when I was a teenager.

I have also thought of upgrading to a Sub Micro for airflow once the ridiculous prices come down to something reasonable.
Looks like a standard horizontal rebuild. With a custom 1.8 build of course.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yes, I have though about this many times since I have drilled out the base air holes on my T3S.
But I always thought the sidewalls would be too thin and crush during rebuilding. I will give it a try this weekend.
The thought of it reminds me of secondary work I did in a machine shop when I was a teenager.

I have also thought of upgrading to a Sub Micro for airflow once the ridiculous prices come down to something reasonable.
Looks like a standard horizontal rebuild. With a custom 1.8 build of course.

I figured on it making it too thin also but turned out pretty well...Just start at the face and drill from there slowly by hand...I used a pair of pliers to hold the pin on the tube portion...it turned a few times inside the pliers taking some of the chrome away but no harm really..only squeeze as hard as you need to.....if the bit gets jammed back it off and go back with less pressure till you cut past the bur .Needs to be a pretty sharp bit but it will cut nice and even all the way through.

This is what i used.
1423340926035.jpg
20150207_151741.jpg

Last edited:

VU Sponsors