Become a Patron!

Kanger ssocc Ni200 coil

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For my first post here I have some questions about temperature for the Ni200 ssocc coil. Where do I start?

Is there any reason to use the nickel coils over what I'm currently using?

I'm a noob to the vaping world but I'm loving it. It's helped me kick a 30 year and 2-3 pack per day habit. I'm using and evic VTC mini with a Kanger sub tank mini. After I used up the included coils I've been using the ssocc .5 clapton but I'd like to try the nickel coil purely for curiosity and learning since I have one.

Thank you for any assistance.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
congrats on kicking the smokes! that's what its about and the most important part. the rest is just a hobby that some of s get infected with.

nickel was used first and most often because it has a perfectly linear relationship of temperature and resistance.
as the metal heats up, its resistance raises at a constant rate. this allows the board to measure the starting resistance and measure the change then use that information to calculate the temperature. All of the temp control mods work on that principal.
some, will let you load in a TCR value, the tcr is the ratio of change in resistance to change in temperature.
having a mod that does that opens up the doors to many different metals.

right now stainless steel is popular because its cheap, readily available, easy to work with, and doesn't alter tha taste in juice.

now, you don't have to swap to tc if you don't want to, in fact being new to vaping I would suggest that you wait until you till you get a little more familiar with the equipment.
whatever you do DO NOT USE THE NICKEL (NI200) COIL IN WATTAGE MODE. The resistance is so low that it is almost a dead short, and can really mess up your mod.
the stainless steel SSOCC, should be ok in power mode assuming that you have the 0.4ohm coil. I use stainless instead of Kanthal in everything now, tc or non tc applications, because, it tastes cleaner.

again, congrats on kicking the smokes and welcome to VU!

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you both for the replies. It seems as though it's not worth it to even experimint with the nickle. I'll try the SS coil.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Buy and use stainless steel coils. Nickle sucks compared to SS.

Plus it can be used in both wattage devices and temp control devices.
While you would think SSOCC means the coils are SS on the whole they're not. There is one, with a pink o ring, that seems to be permanently out of stock! I the SSOCC claptons in my Nebox which seem to give me the best flavor.

That said, I haven't bothered with the Ni200 coil in the Nebox, since this box has a reputation for bad TC and burning the coil. But if the OP wants to try it on the VTC, be sure to turn the setting to Ni200, then I'd put the wattage at around 40 watts and the temp at around 400F. (If you can adjust wattage with your box in TC - some can some can't). Work up the temp from there until it tastes right to you!

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
While you would think SSOCC means the coils are SS on the whole they're not. There is one, with a pink o ring, that seems to be permanently out of stock! I the SSOCC claptons in my Nebox which seem to give me the best flavor.

That said, I haven't bothered with the Ni200 coil in the Nebox, since this box has a reputation for bad TC and burning the coil. But if the OP wants to try it on the VTC, be sure to turn the setting to Ni200, then I'd put the wattage at around 40 watts and the temp at around 400F. (If you can adjust wattage with your box in TC - some can some can't). Work up the temp from there until it tastes right to you!

Yeah it doesn't seem to be able to be had. Oh well I'll stick with the .5 claptons. Liking them was just wanting to experiment. As much as I like the two sub tanks I have I'll be ordering two top tanks tomorrow and keep these as back ups. This bottom loading sucks. I also have a Smok TFV4 mini. Great tank but I can eat through some batteries.

suprtrkr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
If you're satisfied with the vape on regular Kanthal wire, you don't have to switch. But if you mod will do it, there's no reason not to try TC in case you might like it better. Most people think Ti and SS coils taste better than Ni.

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you're satisfied with the vape on regular Kanthal wire, you don't have to switch. But if you mod will do it, there's no reason not to try TC in case you might like it better. Most people think Ti and SS coils taste better than Ni.

Not intending on switching. It works and is keeping me off of cigarettes. I'm just wanting learn more about this new found obsession...err hobby. Even though I've very content using the pre made coils I do plan on learning to build and wick coils, using RDAs and RBAs. Also plan on learning dripping. In no rush though.

Hopefully the pre made SS coils will be available to actually buy soon. Ordered a new top tank and I believe it comes with a SS coil.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Not intending on switching. It works and is keeping me off of cigarettes. I'm just wanting learn more about this new found obsession...err hobby. Even though I've very content using the pre made coils I do plan on learning to build and wick coils, using RDAs and RBAs. Also plan on learning dripping. In no rush though.

Hopefully the pre made SS coils will be available to actually buy soon. Ordered a new top tank and I believe it comes with a SS coil.
they are
you can get the premade coils for subtanks, or if you get into rba/rda this shop sells premade coils that you can install, wick and vape.
or you can by rolls of ss Claptoned wire and roll that.
https://www.advancedvapesupply.com/

for subtanks, you'll have to look around. I use asprire triton coils on the rare times I use a subtank, because they are ss and work in tc

VU Sponsors