Become a Patron!

Kanger Subohm Tank Worked Fine. Now Fails with TWO mods

Hello,

I bought a Kanger Sub Ohm tank, using the .5 ohm coils and it was working great. I was using it with my aspire CF Sub Ohm mod and my Amerivape Manhattan. No problems whatsoever until this morning until all the sudden I get a burnt taste right after replacing the coil when used on the Manhattan. I primed it right, let it sit, pulsed it. But still, it burned immediately. I tried another coil and got the same thing. Then I put in a third coil and tried it on the aspire CF Sub Ohm Mod. Same thing happened. Keep in mind both of these were working fine the night before and we not dropped. They weren't even charged overnight. I figured the Kanger was broker so I even bought a new one today and I still am having the same problem even with the new tank. What could be going on here? This is very weird. Has anyone experienced something like this before?

Thanks

Ben

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ben,

Were you using the coils that came with the Kanger, or your own coils?

Dr3d

Yes. What was the question?
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
.5 ohm at 4.2 volts is 30 watts. FWIW I like the .5 ohm coils at about 2.97 volts or 15 watts.

Just a bit of reference: 30 watts doesn't sound like much this month. But a few months back it was cutting edge.

@maple626, you wrote: I primed it right, let it sit, pulsed it. But still, it burned immediately.

1. The wick is organic cotton - it should NOT be pulsed. This could cause an immediate burn of your wick. I assume you pulsed a juicy saturated wick, but I don't believe this will contribute positively to your experience.
2. Letting it sit is not always an adequate priming procedure. There is a pressure balance that can work against you when starting from a dry coil. I prime my Subtank by covering the air intake with my fingers and giving pulls. I continue this until I stop getting air bubbles rising from the coil head. Basically, I'm creating a small vacuum which helps get the juices flowing into the wick. After the primer pulls I let it rest awhile. The definition of awhile depends on the juice viscosity (e.g., cold vg wicks like molasses). When I'm ready to vape the new coil I return to step one, cover the airholes and pull again ... if I can make the coil head bubble I repeat everything including letting it sit awhile longer. Folks come up with all sorts of advice for priming the Kanger heads. Many will drip juice onto the cotton through the holes on the side. Some also take pulls without covering the airholes before firing the coils.

You gotta give us more information about how you've primed your coils. And, understand 30 watts will incinerate dry cotton immediately. Your description matches the result I would expect from inadequately primed wicks.

Then What battery should I be using? Is there a chance of having some kind of interference destroying the batteries? What would be the ideal battery to use? I put a full dropper of juice into the coil top. Then screw it into the tank with the juice already in. Then tilt back and forth for a bit.

This process has given me no issues previously. Then all of the sudden, I run into the issue of having the immediate burning of coils overnight with two different mods, 8 different coils and 2 different Kanger Sub Ohm Tanks. Keep in mind. With the new Kanger Tank, it came with a 1.2 Ohm coil as well. I had the same issue. Immediate toasting of coil.

UPDATE 1/16

Tried using the Manhattan with a Doge rebuildable atomizer. STILL have the same issue. It must be the mod or the battery. This is so odd. Ive tried different batteries though. The Aspire Sub Ohm mod has the same problem also but you cant change out the battery. Dont know what to do.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Has to be a short in the Kanger if your using different batteries....I would return it.

Phil B has a video about the new Kanger sub ohm.

CraxyBoxMaker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I had a .5 stock coil fry my springs in the alt smoke omega so yea stock coils are a little fucked right now

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Has to be a short in the Kanger if your using different batteries....I would return it.

Phil B has a video about the new Kanger sub ohm.

51+ minutes? Tanks but no Tanks:D

Is it organic Japanese cotton , if so it has a break in period if you haven't washed it that will give you a weird flavor that's not so much burnt but can be mistaken for burnt try vaping threw it for a few hours and see if it fades at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlruiz2k

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I would think is your mod, go to a friendly vape shop, let them know your issue and see if they let you test your tank on another mod. Unless you have a friend that could help with their mod. You already changed heads of multiple tanks so I would go with the mod.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Since it does not appear to be mentioned yet.
Do you have a ohm meter?
If not put that on one and check for short, it will not read anything if the coil popped.

Make sure you button is clean of gunk or metal.

Ngkon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have been having an issue with the coil leads melting the insulator at the bottom of the coil. Pull off the little pin at the bottom on the coil and see if it's melted through or into the rubber piece.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't have a sub ohm tank yet but I had the same problem with the aerotanks and the dual coil heads from kanger...finally I started dripping juice into the head directly on a new coil and letting it soak in as well as a drop on the holes on the side where it wicks in...then I'd poke holes in the cotton mesh so juice could flow more easily into the coil head...then I would fill the tank and and take dry hits like @dred and let it sit for at least 15 minutes...then they would taste burnt for awhile on every second hit and then they'd break in and start working right. Check your insulators as well on your tank and you can try fanning out the cotton around the wicking holes of the coil assembly...high VG juice wicks slow and 30 watts will suck it up quickly. cotton wicks can hold a lot of juice...you said you fill it up with a whole dropper of liquid but you have to fill it up in bits and let it soak in or it will just run off and not take the first time you wick it...cotton is very fickle but the flavor is very rewarding :) hopefully you can find another battery to check against yours but IMHO this sounds like fickle cotton and thick juice not wanting to cooperate. Best luck getting it sorted out. Also, one more thing...you can check your coils on an ohm meter if the insulator looks in tack to make sure it's not shorting out somewhere....Kanger heads can easily be as much as .2 ohms off what they're supposed to be...I've rarely had one meter dead on.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hello,

I bought a Kanger Sub Ohm tank, using the .5 ohm coils and it was working great. I was using it with my aspire CF Sub Ohm mod and my Amerivape Manhattan. No problems whatsoever until this morning until all the sudden I get a burnt taste right after replacing the coil when used on the Manhattan. I primed it right, let it sit, pulsed it. But still, it burned immediately. I tried another coil and got the same thing. Then I put in a third coil and tried it on the aspire CF Sub Ohm Mod. Same thing happened. Keep in mind both of these were working fine the night before and we not dropped. They weren't even charged overnight. I figured the Kanger was broker so I even bought a new one today and I still am having the same problem even with the new tank. What could be going on here? This is very weird. Has anyone experienced something like this before?

Thanks

Ben
I have seen this several times it for me was a two part fix.. I had to actually take the whole subtank all! apart I think there was a short or a poor connect with the springy pin and it jumps ohms I have seen it go from .5 to 3.4. So the fix for that is take it all the freaking apart get pliers and take off the piece that does come apart clean put back together then see takes 5 minutes... as soon as I did that I put back in the same coil that wasj umping voltages which reads ohms on most of VV/VW devices. And then she came up right at .514 or something...

BumbaCLot

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
my mvp2 is firing slow ever since i added the 23mm extension. still doing it after i took it off

Hello,

Thanks

Ben
I have the same problem with my sub tank when I use wattage above 27. How high are your watts? The tanks are great but in my limited experience if you go over 30 watts you fry the coils.

VU Sponsors