Become a Patron!

Kanger subtank leaking?

TheGodZ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey i didnt found the info I was looking for but i own a kanger subtank that i realy love the taste is amazing...

Only one thing its pissing juice every where. From the vent holes and from the bottom glass... Its anoying... The store offered me to swap it for a atlantis but i like my subtank..

By any chance anyone found a fix for this?

At the store where i bought it were 3 on 3 thats having leaking problem. Kanger failed once again on that side lol

Thanks!

TheGodZ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
When its leaking from the vents im using the pre built coils

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I don't have any help to offer, but I'll be watching this thread as I just ordered one myself.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Your top or bottom seals aren't sealing, the vacuum that is normally in the tank is not there, so atmospheric pressure coupled with taking a toot forces more juice into the coil than can be vaporized.

Mines had a slow leak from the top of the air flow ring since I got it and being experienced tried everything possible. Using RBA. I then noticed a dent in the metal above the ring...well of course if something isnt perfectly round somethings gotta give! The rubbers are shite though. I got mine (authentic) from Fasttech so wondering if theres a crap batch with dents that QC never picked up on. What pisses me off even more is hundreds more have started complaining about the same leak and Kangertech on Facebook has just decided to delete all posts....LAME!

TheGodZ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Your top or bottom seals aren't sealing, the vacuum that is normally in the tank is not there, so atmospheric pressure coupled with taking a toot forces more juice into the coil than can be vaporized.
I didnt understand =( lol

OUvape12

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Check the two red O-rings for nicks in them. If the top red O-ring doesn't have any defects in it, try switching it with the bottom red O-ring, be careful not to damage them if you try swapping them. Check all the O-rings and the connections throughout the tank including the cotton in the coil housing, the cotton should fill the little inlet windows or else juice will just flow down and out the airflow chamber. I just got my Subtank today and I agree the flavor is amazing with the pre-built coils (haven't tried the RBA yet). I'm currently using a 50/50 mix and no leaks and this RTA is fantastic. I think Kanger did an excellent job with this one.

OUvape12

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Mines had a slow leak from the top of the air flow ring since I got it and being experienced tried everything possible. Using RBA. I then noticed a dent in the metal above the ring...well of course if something isnt perfectly round somethings gotta give! The rubbers are shite though. I got mine (authentic) from Fasttech so wondering if theres a crap batch with dents that QC never picked up on. What pisses me off even more is hundreds more have started complaining about the same leak and Kangertech on Facebook has just decided to delete all posts....LAME!

I got my Authentic Subtank from Fasttech also, no problems with mine so far. I ordered mine on 12/27 and it shipped same day, just received it today in the states. Like you said... maybe there was a bad batch at some point. Keeping my fingers crossed I don't have any problems with mine down the road.

Dont get me wrong....I LOVE this thing but for the small leak. Got mine fast as I ordered within 5 mins of it going on the site so Id say the first batch dispatched? Didnt notice till the second day thinking I had just got juice on me from the refill bottle :(

OUvape12

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Just remembered a trick people were using to make their O-rings a little more snug to stop leaks on other tanks. Dental floss wrapped in the groove then the O-ring over it. The floss doesn't touch the liquid and it makes the O-ring expand depending how much floss is used, not sure if this will help with your leaking issues or whatnot, just wanted to pass the tip along.

A vapeband will also seal the leak on the tank and help protect the glass from breakage if it's dropped.

Last edited:

hazozita

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can also try flipping the bottom o-ring (the one the glass rests on) over. I had the same leaking issue with a UD tank that has the same type of floating glass section, and the o-ring had a small nick in it. Flipping it over provided for a better sealing surface for the glass to sit on, and solved the leak.

I'm not having any leaking problems with either of my subtanks, but wish Kanger had included some spares. I'd probably get more use out of a spare set of o-rings than the cotton that was included. Eventually, every o-ring wears out or gets damaged.

TheGodZ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'll try your tricks... And yes its authentic hehe. And btw if kangertech realy deleted those post its disrespectful for their clients wow they wont see my money anymore.

Ill try swapping orings ive seen a fix on reddit saying you can buy some better oring ... I'll try that to!

TheGodZ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just got an email. From. Kanger telling me they gona SELL the orings. They aware of the situation im trying to set them to send me a few for free since its a fix and a common problem. Oh well lol

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you're still having issues with leaks try going to your local Home Depot and look in the plumbing section, you can find O rings there. Teflon tape is another option. You can remedy the problem for under $5. Also, be sure that your O ring is facing round side towards the glass and flat side towards the base.

Last edited:

TheGodZ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I tried the oring its just sad that i have to pay extra money on a tank that alreadh cost me 60$ plus tax when I could had a atlantis for 45$ with no leaks.

Then kanger tells me that they going to sell a fix.. SELL a. Fix... Im really thinking returning it back at the stock and trade in for a atlantis. Dang

OUvape12

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
My Subtank started leaking from the o-rings also. I just slid two black vapebands one over the top the other over the bottom, my problem is solved until I get some better replacement o-rings. I use vapebands on all my glass tanks to protect them from breaking anyway. Now if I drop it, I can just catch it on the rebound ;-)

Johnny Hotsauce

Member For 4 Years
Mine has been leaking in 2 ways. With a fresh coil, after saturating the cotton I get a good amount of juice shooting out of the air control holes on the base. Recently, juice has been leaking from the bottom of the glass tank just above the base as if the o-ring between the base and the glass isn't holding a good seal, just noticed this happening today.

TheGodZ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That's the problem we all have. I thinks its a bit stupid that kanger still after all those leaking tanks produce bad quality product that still leaks

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have had very good results with Kanger tanks so far no leaks. I know several people who own the Subtank and no issues. These products are all mass manufactured so there's always the likelihood that some will have an overlooked flaw, that's the case with any products on the market. I would go to your local Home Depot and look in the plumbing isle for sealants. Some have done that with good results. Vapebands are another option although I've never had the need for them, they just might work, it's a worth a try. I think this is a top notch topper. Hope you get your leak resolved soon.:)

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Mine has been leaking in 2 ways. With a fresh coil, after saturating the cotton I get a good amount of juice shooting out of the air control holes on the base. Recently, juice has been leaking from the bottom of the glass tank just above the base as if the o-ring between the base and the glass isn't holding a good seal, just noticed this happening today.

Make sure that all parts are properly tightened but not overtightened, this has been a known issue as a result of user error.

Johnny Hotsauce

Member For 4 Years
Make sure that all parts are properly tightened but not overtightened, this has been a known issue as a result of user error.
Pulled it apart and put it back together and nothing is overly snug and still some seepage from under the glass going onto the AFC ring. I'm just having bad luck with this tank in general between the leaking and then my reducer/beauty ring locked onto the AFC base and not being able to come off.

Outside of the flaws, the tank is fantastic but I just feel as if I never have good luck with Kanger in general as I don't feel as a consumer that they have decent QC based on all my purchases with them.

I switched to Aspire to get the original Nautilus after I had constant flooding/gurgling issues with my Protank, then skipped the Protank 2 and got the Protank 3 and same issues and then gave the Aerotank a try and same issues again plus adding my airflow control ring kept seizing to either full open of full closed and had to replace 4 of those bases, luckily they were able to be had for about $3 a base then.

With Aspire, never had an issue with their tanks unless it was a self-inflicted injury like dropping my mod and breaking the tank or the base due to it falling and hitting the ground. I didn't exactly always love the original BDC coils but the tank as a whole always worked as it was supposed to.

I feel Kanger is on the right path, they just need to work on their design a bit more to make sure the products work properly. The slight leaking appears to be caused by thin o-rings and not being able to hold a solid seal. So make the next gen with better o-rings and problem solved. Or better yet, do what they did when they redesigned the Aerotanks (Mega, Giant, Geni, etc...) and offer a one piece steel option and either sell it separately or include it with the package and charge a couple dollars more if needed. OR, do similar to what Aspire did and sell steel/glass combo toppers so you can see what's in your tank. I own one of those toppers for every one of my Aspire Nautilus, Nautilus Mini and Atlantis tanks. I love those toppers, they can take a beating and you can see how much juice you have plus they're all one piece units so you don't have to take apart multiple pieces to clean it which is less parts to potentially break.

Just my $.02 ;)

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I had just the opposite. Issues with the Nautilus and good results with the Kanger tanks. I hope you can get your leaks resolved. They manufacture so many of these products you're always bound to run into something whether it's immediate or down the road. If I have issues I try to resolve them as quickly as possible and if I can't I get in touch with the vendor to get a replacement. Fortunately I deal with select vendors where I get no hassle returns. All the best.

TheGodZ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I tried to send them an email they told me on facebook to contact them by email. They never gave me a response. It was my last purchase with kanger. Even if i have to pay 50cents for a rubber seal its not my problem.

Their customers support sucks monkey balls. (sorry my language) im a compagny owner and i knoe how to treat my clients.

Ill go buy a rubber gasket and make my thing with Teflon

Oh and i just ordered a mutation x v2 hahaba cant wait!!

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You deserve to get your problems addressed. I'm sorry to hear that you haven't received much cooperation and that can be very frustrating. You may want to email the President and politely state your grievance. It's worth a try you don't have anything to lose by doing so. Speak with the decision makers they usually value the customers.

Mine is leaking too. I don't know from where but it's definately leaking. Both times the tank was not in use for many hours. Grabbed it from my pocket and felt greasy to the touch. Appears to be coming from the bottom part but not sure where. Vent holes? O-ring gap?

This was my first upgrade into mod territory. Not happy at all.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I haven't had leaking issues. I have realized something odd though. I will fall asleep with a full battery and nearly full tank, when I wake up it is empty or close to it. There is no juice anywhere and no leaking. After the 2nd night I even went as far as monitoring the battery life to make sure I wasn't sleep vaping or something. I wasn't and this morning the same thing happened. It's odd to say the least.

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Try washing the tank in your sink with warm water, let it dry, make sure that on reassembly you don't over tighten the parts and that your coil is firmly tightened to the base. You mentioned that you had your tank in your pocket so it's possible that the components were loosened. I would suggest trying the above and see if that helps remedy the issue. :)

Try washing the tank in your sink with warm water, let it dry, make sure that on reassembly you don't over tighten the parts and that your coil is firmly tightened to the base. You mentioned that you had your tank in your pocket so it's possible that the components were loosened. I would suggest trying the above and see if that helps remedy the issue. :)
I already tried that when I first noticed. This morning it was sitting in my coat pocket. Not much movement there as I was driving to work. I would have liked to resolve this without having to add things to the tank. Guess I will have to look into o-rings, dental floss or vapebands.

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I haven't had leaking issues. I have realized something odd though. I will fall asleep with a full battery and nearly full tank, when I wake up it is empty or close to it. There is no juice anywhere and no leaking. After the 2nd night I even went as far as monitoring the battery life to make sure I wasn't sleep vaping or something. I wasn't and this morning the same thing happened. It's odd to say the least.

REM Behavior Disorder. You may have experienced it without being consciously aware.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yes, I thought of that because I sleep walk from time to time. I filled the tank and put the fresh battery in because if it was me the battery life would have to go down if the tank was empty. You're not going to be able to vape a whole tank and not move the battery bar. Add the fact that I sleep about 3-4 hours and I would have to chain vape the whole time I was out, all while using no battery power.

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's the nature of the beast even when we sleep we're really awake looking for that smoke juice:D

Ill go buy a rubber gasket and make my thing with Teflon
Were you able to get a permanent fix via an after-market o-ring?

edit - lots of people are mentioning o-rings. Not to be mixed up with the washer that sits inside the bottom part.

Last edited:

KillaB3E

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just noticed that my less than week old Subtank has sprung a leak as well. I it was mostly coming out of the adjustable airflow holes. I'm thinking it was because I had it on it's side while it was in the car. I can see a little liquid leaking at the bottom. I'll mess with it when I get home. But it's frustrating.

Are you sure it's from the vent holes? I thought so at first but upon closer inspection it's really from the opening right underneath the glass. It's like the bottom red o-ring inside the tank is letting juice get pass it to the bottom of the pyrex cylinder. Then the juice escapes due to pressure.

I highlighted where it's coming from on mine in yellow.

leak.PNG

KillaB3E

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the reply and picture. I'll take a closer look when I get home this afternoon.
Ki||@

KillaB3E

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you sure it's from the vent holes? I thought so at first but upon closer inspection it's really from the opening right underneath the glass. It's like the bottom red o-ring inside the tank is letting juice get pass it to the bottom of the pyrex cylinder. Then the juice escapes due to pressure.

I highlighted where it's coming from on mine in yellow.

View attachment 12414

Okay, so I'm back at my place and my tank isn't leaking at the moment. I took a closer look and it does look like the tank was leaking from the spot that you highlighted. I read on another forum that replacing the O rings with better ones from the hardware store would help, so that's what I did. I picked up a pack of O rings from Lowes and will try them out the next time I refill the tank. Will post an update when I do so.

Thanks for your help,
Ki||@

Which size did you take? I went to the hardware store after work and they didn't have the size that someone suggested on reddit.

I'm somewhat confused by what people are referring to on forums about the leak. To me, o-rings are inside the tank. The red circle sitting in the groove at the bottom of the tank is a washer. What we're supposed to replace is the washer.

Since I couldn't find an appropriate size I ended up placing the washer upside-down (flat surface against the glass) for a more even contact. No leak up to now but it's only been 30 minutes.

KillaB3E

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I ended up buying the #14 and #30 - Danco brand, according to the reddit post. I also picked up some Teflon tape if the washers don't work. I've attached picture. 20150114_175741.jpg

TheGodZ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Teflon works great... Just stupid to have to put some over and over every time i fill up or change the juice lol

update I only turned the washer upside down (flat side towards the glass) and it stopped leaking. It's been a good 15 hours now. You might want to try that out before using after-market stuff.

TheGodZ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
update I only turned the washer upside down (flat side towards the glass) and it stopped leaking. It's been a good 15 hours now. You might want to try that out before using after-market stuff.
Didnt work for me... Some. Time i ask my self if its not a manufacturer problem and the glass is a micrometer to short...

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Make sure everything is tight dude!!
SEE VAPING ON AIRY CLEARO IS A LITTLE BIT TRICKY, you cant suck on it too hard like a dripper...PRACTICE
Sent from my
LUMIA 1520

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Make sure everything is tight dude!!
SEE VAPING ON AIRY CLEARO IS A LITTLE BIT TRICKY, you cant suck on it too hard like a dripper...PRACTICE
Sent from my
LUMIA 1520

So a leaking seal is the vapers fault and practice will make it better? It's tricky to vape? Are you for real dude? The fucking tank leaks, it's not a problem with vaping it right. It's just a leaking fucking tank that needs a better fucking seal. Holy shit, I can't believe you even posted that.

TheGodZ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Btw guys check. With your local. Store or with kanger they released a new oring fix!

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Btw guys check. With your local. Store or with kanger they released a new oring fix!

I wasn't aware of the new seal for the leaking issue. I know they redesigned the top seal and it holds the glass on tighter, but the bottom seal seems to be the one that leaks or seeps juice. I just got the mini and haven't had any leaking issues with it yet, but I do get a small amount of seeping from the big Subtank. Of course the mini is better in a few significant ways, so I'll just pif the big tank to a friend since I think it's not nearly as good. But I will see if there is a new bottom seal for this tank first.

VU Sponsors