Become a Patron!

Kanger Topbox Mini - I am Puzzled

Hello fellow vapers. This is my first post so thanks for having me. I have been vaping for a few years and finally upgraded from pens/prefilled cartridges. My initial purchase was an istick 30and Nautilus tank (which I love). After using that for a while, I wanted to explore sub ohm vaping and temp control, so I purchased a Kanger Topbox Mini (75w tc mod + toptank mini). I tried the coils included in the kit, and have concluded that I am not ready for temp control and sub ohm vaping is not my thing right now. So, trying to use this set up as an MTL device, I purchased the Kanger 1.2 ohm coils - the older ones that are large, square, and have 2 wicking holes. Well, it is not working out. Despite the coils being rated 10-25w, anything over 7.5 watts burns my throat. And even at 7w, the coils barely last me a day. I have tried wide-open air flow, very restricted air flow, and everything between. (I think the coils are authentic - I purchased them from a reputable online vendor who also has a retail store). I have been using Vapetasia Killer Kustard Lemon (70 vg I believe). It's very frustrating. Despite the toptank mini being advertised as versatile enough for both sub ohm and MTL vaping, I have read many reviews from others who have not been successful using the Top Tank Mini for MTL vaping. I regret not having read these reviews before I purchased this setup. I think it was a mistake purchase. If possible, I really want to use this tank for MTL vaping, so I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks so much.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Kanger Sub/Toptank Mini's are my go to. I'm running 7 of them right now. I've never had this problem with any of them.
So first point I see is 70VG is too high of VG for MTL. For best results with MTL you need 50VG or less. HIgh VG doesn't wick as well as higher PG.

Second, I do remember about the older coils was that they were a little tight. Try taking a safety pin or needle and poking it through the airholes from one side to the other. This will help the wick soak up juice a little faster. Only do it once, more than that and you'll oversaturate the coil. If that don't work...

Have you tried a different tank on the mod to see if the problem is in the mod?
Are you running the mod in wattage mode?
I'm assuming the coils are Kanthal?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you running the mod in wattage mode?
I'm assuming the coils are Kanthal?

This sounds like running non TC compatable coils in TC mode,
'
Also the TC on the Kbox mini is not very good.
Love em in wattage mode but meh for TC mode.

Last edited:
@CP and @TC, thanks for responding. I am running it in wattage mode. I tried using the Nautilus at 8w and then at 9w on the Kbox mini and it works fine. These are the coils I have been using:
KangerTech OCC Vertical Subtank Coil (5pack) - Replacement Heads 1.2 Ohm. Should I be using different coils?

I guess I will clean the tank and then do as you suggest (CP) and run a safety pin through the airholes. I just want to make sure I understand
what you mean - poke the safety pin through the cotton and out the opposite hole, through the cotton. Is that right? I do have 50/50 liquid so I will try that after I clean the tank and poke holes. I hope this works. Thanks for your help.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
with the tank kit, you should have gotten an RBA mini. It's a single coil rebuildable atomizer head. OH.. you are gonna love that thing!

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html?s=dp&r=0.45&hf=450&awg=28&id=2.25 try this coil
for added flavor, clapton the 28ga wire with a 32 or higher ga wire.. I prefer 32-34ga stainless steel.
I think there is a sticky here on building claptons for newbies.

If you wanted to use TC mode.. use 28+ ga stainless steel wire as your core wire. You can test-build your coil at the link above.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
@CP and @TC, thanks for responding. I am running it in wattage mode. I tried using the Nautilus at 8w and then at 9w on the Kbox mini and it works fine. These are the coils I have been using:
KangerTech OCC Vertical Subtank Coil (5pack) - Replacement Heads 1.2 Ohm. Should I be using different coils?

I guess I will clean the tank and then do as you suggest (CP) and run a safety pin through the airholes. I just want to make sure I understand
what you mean - poke the safety pin through the cotton and out the opposite hole, through the cotton. Is that right? I do have 50/50 liquid so I will try that after I clean the tank and poke holes. I hope this works. Thanks for your help.
Those coils are correct.

poke the safety pin through the cotton and out the opposite hole, through the cotton. Is that right?
Yes, that is exactly what I meant.

I may know what was wrong. After installing a new coil, I was not hitting the fire button— so the mod did not ask if it was a new coil. I hope that is what was wrong anyway. What do you think? I watched a few YouTube videos about The Subtank mini and I saw what I was doing wrong. I have cleaned the tank. Letting it sit for a while before I use it again .

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
If you weren't priming the coils that would definitely cause some burnt tasting hits. I always start a fresh a coil down at 15 then take a couple hits.. up to 17, take a couple hits... etc. (Of course, those wattages will be lower in your case since you're using the 1.2Ohm coil)

You also need to make sure you're letting the juice soak in good before that initial hit. The down side to cotton is once you've burnt it, that flavor never comes out.

VU Sponsors