Become a Patron!

Kanthal d resistance wire

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Anyone know where to order kanthal d wire preferably high gauge like 36-44?

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Probably because he would have to collect sales tax if he ships to the same state he's in. Just ship it to someone you know that's in N.Y. lol.

Cheers,
Steve

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Here's what Ive posted a while ago in the "Post your builds" thread.

It has the same exact content as A1 except less Aluminum is in it and it has a slightly lower Max Heat Temp.

Resistance/ Temp Rating of Kanthal we can use for vaping....
Kanthal Max. continuous operating temp. Resistivity at 20ºC (68ºF)
Kanthal A-1 (wire) 1400 (2550) 1.45 (872)
Kanthal A (wire) 1350 (2460) 1.39 (836)
Kanthal D (wire) 1300 (2370) 1.35 (812)

Kanthal A1:
Specifications

• 22% chromium (Cr), 5.8% aluminum (Al), Iron (Fe) balance
  • Density: 7.1 g/cubic cm
  • Tensile strength: 680 n/mm²
  • Melting Temperature: 1500°C (2732°F)
  • Maximum Operating Temperature: 1400°C (2550°F)
  • Density: 0.256 lbs/cubic in.
  • Specific heat capacity @ 68°F: 0.11 Btu/lb°F
Kanthal D:
Specifications

• 22% chromium (Cr), 4.8% aluminum (Al), Iron (Fe) balance
  • Maximum Operating Temperature: 1300°C (2370°F)
  • Density: 0.262 lbs/cubic in.
Kanthal A1 vs. Kanthal D
Kanthal A1 wire has a slightly higher melting temperature and tensile strength and is more commonly found in large industrial applications. Kanthal D is usually used for small home and small-scale applications.
Kanthal D would actually be more suitable for vaping due to the reduced Aluminum Content in it :p

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Here's what Ive posted a while ago in the "Post your builds" thread.

It has the same exact content as A1 except less Aluminum is in it and it has a slightly lower Max Heat Temp.

Resistance/ Temp Rating of Kanthal we can use for vaping....
Kanthal Max. continuous operating temp. Resistivity at 20ºC (68ºF)
Kanthal A-1 (wire) 1400 (2550) 1.45 (872)
Kanthal A (wire) 1350 (2460) 1.39 (836)
Kanthal D (wire) 1300 (2370) 1.35 (812)

Kanthal A1:
Specifications

• 22% chromium (Cr), 5.8% aluminum (Al), Iron (Fe) balance
  • Density: 7.1 g/cubic cm
  • Tensile strength: 680 n/mm²
  • Maximum Operating Temperature: 1400°C (2550°F)
  • Density: 0.256 lbs/cubic in.
Kanthal D:
Specifications

• 22% chromium (Cr), 4.8% aluminum (Al), Iron (Fe) balance
  • Maximum Operating Temperature: 1300°C (2370°F)
  • Density: 0.262 lbs/cubic in.
Kanthal A1 vs. Kanthal D
Kanthal A1 wire has a slightly higher melting temperature and tensile strength and is more commonly found in large industrial applications. Kanthal D is usually used for small home and small-scale applications.
Kanthal D would actually be more suitable for vaping due to the reduced Aluminum Content in it :p
Yea I saw this post actually thanks it made me want kanthal d. But I'm also under the impression kanthal d should be cheaper then a1

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Probably because he would have to collect sales tax if he ships to the same state he's in. Just ship it to someone you know that's in N.Y. lol.

Cheers,
Steve
I wish I knew someone in NY lol I live pretty far from there about an hour and a half I'm close to PA but not friendly enough with anyone out there to have stuff shipped to their house lol I messaged the guy on ebay last night asking why he won't ship to his own state and he just got back to me with: it's my policy sorry.

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yea I saw this post actually thanks it made me want kanthal d. But I'm also under the impression kanthal d should be cheaper then a1
A few months ago it was, it still is in many gauges on Ebay...

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A few months ago it was, it still is in many gauges on Ebay...
Yea the main guy selling it won't sell to me because I live in new Jersey and so does he so I guess it has something to do with sales tax which I would pay extra but when I sent him a very friendly message about it his response was : sorry, it's my policy. Which honestly pissed me off. The rest that sell them are decent price but no where near as cheap and are lower gauges

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yea the main guy selling it won't sell to me because I live in new Jersey and so does he so I guess it has something to do with sales tax which I would pay extra but when I sent him a very friendly message about it his response was : sorry, it's my policy. Which honestly pissed me off. The rest that sell them are decent price but no where near as cheap and are lower gauges
If I was in your position I would feel the same way...Im glad I got out of LI when I could...but the new Tax Bill for VT (92% Vape Tax Coming) is about to shit on everything...luckily Ive already bought everything out there :shades: but I know it will suck if I need anything locally...

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So wire is falling under the vape taxes? it's just wire!

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So wire is falling under the vape taxes? it's just wire!
Even VG, PG, Nic, and other materials not sold by vape shops will fall under it...Im sure normal cotton would to if the shops sold it. I hope batteries arent but I wont raise a brow if they are...this tax will be the death of local shops and more in VT.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Even VG, PG, Nic, and other materials not sold by vape shops will fall under it...Im sure normal cotton would to if the shops sold it. I hope batteries arent but I wont raise a brow if they are...this tax will be the death of local shops and more in VT.
But how will I make my jewelry if the wire I use is twice as expensive!?!

I can understand VG/PG/Nic, I can understand devices, tanks, atomizers and replacement parts for those. But, wire, cotton and batteries have enough other uses that it seems silly that they should get hit. Hell VG is also what you use in Fog Machines IIRC, and if you have any medical things going on PG is used in inhalers so I hope those cartridges aren't put together in VT.

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
But how will I make my jewelry if the wire I use is twice as expensive!?!

I can understand VG/PG/Nic, I can understand devices, tanks, atomizers and replacement parts for those. But, wire, cotton and batteries have enough other uses that it seems silly that they should get hit. Hell VG is also what you use in Fog Machines IIRC, and if you have any medical things going on PG is used in inhalers so I hope those cartridges aren't put together in VT.
I'm not positive if it's because of taxes but that's my guess there's something with taxes with same state sales in general I don't really get it but I was told this buy my father and buy another guy on here. But the guy was an asshole when I asked him why he wouldn't. Just frustrating I'm about to stop using fused/regular claptons. I don't get why lightning vapes charges $10 for 250ft for 36g kanthal but charges around $20 for 38g kanthal. I'm just frustrated I guess...

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I'm not positive if it's because of taxes but that's my guess there's something with taxes with same state sales in general I don't really get it but I was told this buy my father and buy another guy on here. But the guy was an asshole when I asked him why he wouldn't. Just frustrating I'm about to stop using fused/regular claptons. I don't get why lightning vapes charges $10 for 250ft for 36g kanthal but charges around $20 for 38g kanthal. I'm just frustrated I guess...
Why stop using them? If you ever need anything made then PM me...I dont charge a arm and a leg and I recently been including samples of other types of coils with ever ordered pair...If this is a better or easier option then Im glad I could help...

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Why stop using them? If you ever need anything made then PM me...I dont charge a arm and a leg and I recently been including samples of other types of coils with ever ordered pair...If this is a better or easier option then Im glad I could help...
I like making them I really enjoy it and I'm also the type to change my coils very often at least claptons and fused Claptons I'm working on alien coils but haven't gotten them down yet my clapton ingredients comes out to spread apart. But I'll go threw 250ft of 40g in about a month. I guess realistically it is worth it and I'll keep buying it just frustrated.... but I might be interested in buying some alien coils since I can't seem to get them down and would like to try them

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I like making them I really enjoy it and I'm also the type to change my coils very often at least claptons and fused Claptons I'm working on alien coils but haven't gotten them down yet my clapton ingredients comes out to spread apart. But I'll go threw 250ft of 40g in about a month. I guess realistically it is worth it and I'll keep buying it just frustrated.... but I might be interested in buying some alien coils since I can't seem to get them down and would like to try them
I think thats very acceptable for wire use...I blow through that much wire every 2-3 days and its usually a few gauges at a time but I know how it can be on a tighter budget. I would suggest using 36g when getting aliens down to make it easier on yourself, its the perfect thickness of wire and it looks nice once done also.

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's interesting I never tried 36 I went straight to 40... I gotta try that thanks!

VU Sponsors