Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
How do they get the origionals, reverse engineer them and get them into production so fast?

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sometimes they get them out before the original. Like the stingray x and big dripper

ButtKickers

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
when they come out instantly; they are obviously rolling off the same assembly line. Footoon, jd tech, and the makers of the russian, and a couple others are definetly guilty.

ButtKickers

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Btw, i speak from experience having been involved in the auto parts industry. ;)

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Maybe they got ahead of the cloners by teaming up with one in advance. Could be a good strategy. Get a decent cloner set up to make a quality, working clone right out of the gate, get a cut of every one they sell, then you can double dip. Actually kinda makes sense.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For some reason the link redirects now. If you go to alibaba and search "ivogo kayfun 4" you find it. Screenshot below for proof. ;)
N7oyMAD.jpg

Last edited:

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Maybe they got ahead of the cloners by teaming up with one in advance. Could be a good strategy. Get a decent cloner set up to make a quality, working clone right out of the gate, get a cut of every one they sell, then you can double dip. Actually kinda makes sense.
we were actually discussing this in the kayfun group on fb, they didnt deny anything or address the topic and then deleted the post :)

but seriously why would they not play both sides of the card? if they didnt they just leave a ton of money on the table over pride, good business decisions arent made on pride

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How do they get the origionals, reverse engineer them and get them into production so fast?
The beta or test units go out to quite a few of the connected vaperati months before the official launch, someone must of sold his or her unit to China. Don't discount industrial espionage, China is quite good at it.

wasteyrself

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The clone race begins, what fun.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You make an interesting point.

wasteyrself

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
EHPro does have a good reputation on here, yeah? I've never used any of their cloned products but they're popular, like just under Infinite/SXK on the ranking scale.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
EHPro does have a good reputation on here, yeah? I've never used any of their cloned products but they're popular, like just under Infinite/SXK on the ranking scale.
they do for their tanks at least. the billow and their kayfun clones are great

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Well, Alibaba identifies the clone as Ivogo. Not quite one of the respectable cloners. Why would SM go with them? My bet is it will turn out to be a typical case of copying.

With respect to @UncleRJ, there is no re-engineering involved. Get a sample, disassemble, measure/input into software, and apply standard fit tolerances. That can be done by one person in a day. Get your prototype machinists to work up a few and figure out what custom fixtures have to be made for production and where the manufacturing challenges are. A week tops for that. Photograph your best prototype and announce the product to your distributors. When the orders tally up to the minimum you'll do, rush into production. The rest, as we all know from sloppy clones, is learn as you go.

Even this relatively complicated atty is a dead simple piece of "machinery."

Last edited:

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Alibaba have a reputation a putting up photos of clones that don't exist yet. They did that with the Blackhawk for months before eventually pulling it, and the Maraxus. Obviously the kf4 will be cloned and it happens faster these day. But I wouldn't necessarily be certain of things on Alibaba that aren't also showing elsewhere. If you want to be certain of something on there then I guess email the seller and ask for a time frame - see what comes back.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Alibaba have a reputation a putting up photos of clones that don't exist yet. They did that with the Blackhawk for months before eventually pulling it, and the Maraxus. Obviously the kf4 will be cloned and it happens faster these day. But I wouldn't necessarily be certain of things on Alibaba that aren't also showing elsewhere. If you want to be certain of something on there then I guess email the seller and ask for a time frame - see what comes back.
yea thats why they do that so people will get in contact with them and then they will tell you when production starts and when theyll be in stock

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ehpro is like any german company, obsessed with precision, quality and high standards. That will produce good reputation.

Rawmade

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Tobeco emailed me today saying their V4 would be available soon so well see.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Well, Alibaba identifies the clone as Ivogo. Not quite one of the respectable cloners. Why would SM go with them? My bet is it will turn out to be a typical case of copying.

With respect to @UncleRJ, there is no re-engineering involved. Get a sample, disassemble, measure/input into software, and apply standard fit tolerances. That can be done by one person in a day. Get your prototype machinists to work up a few and figure out what custom fixtures have to be made for production and where the manufacturing challenges are. A week tops for that. Photograph your best prototype and announce the product to your distributors. When the orders tally up to the minimum you'll do, rush into production. The rest, as we all know from sloppy clones, is learn as you go.

Even this relatively complicated atty is a dead simple piece of "machinery."

Reverse engineering is what I was talking about. You described the process exactly. But they still need to snag an original to get started.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just had a china vendor quote me

kayfun V4 1:1 clone $23.00 moq 10
i wonder how much fasttech will end up selling them for. i remember their kayfun lite plus being quite expensive.

i really don't like how the kf4 airflow is adjusted. the tank boasts of not needing the fill it up from beneath but it's adjusted from beneath. i feel it's a step backwards, especially having to use a screwdriver as well. what was so hard about simply making an adjuster that turns like the nautilus and every other tank?

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i wonder how much fasttech will end up selling them for. i remember their kayfun lite plus being quite expensive.

i really don't like how the kf4 airflow is adjusted. the tank boasts of not needing the fill it up from beneath but it's adjusted from beneath. i feel it's a step backwards, especially having to use a screwdriver as well. what was so hard about simply making an adjuster that turns like the nautilus and every other tank?

My thoughts as well. With an advanced juice cut off system for refilling/transport you would think that they would have put an airflow ring on the base.

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well I won't be becoming a guinea pig any time soon. I'll wait for the first adopters to get a feel for it.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My thoughts as well. With an advanced juice cut off system for refilling/transport you would think that they would have put an airflow ring on the base.
Totally! It annoyed me a bit tbh when I saw that. And there's a lot of ppl on fb posting photos of their new kf4. New. Authentic. $100+ ...

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Totally! It annoyed me a bit tbh when I saw that. And there's a lot of ppl on fb posting photos of their new kf4. New. Authentic. $100+ ...
At $180 for the V4, it seems as if Svoemesto really pushed the price envelope. People will buy them, but the vast majority will pass and get the clone when they come out. It seems that Svoemesto is catering to the well heeled elitist vapers, not the average everyday vaper. It's their marketing strategy, no problem with that. Svoemesto pretty much invited the cloners to spring into action.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As Todd's and P. Busardo's reviews point out, the vape of the V4 is very Kayfun-like. No surprises. Improvements boil down to better air flow and the addition of a juice valve, which may or may not be a benefit depending on how you store or pocket your rig.

The thing for me is that it's coming a bit late. I've already moved my KFLs into retirement, primarily because of limited air flow even when drilled out. At $30-$40 the Lemo solves that problem for many, particularly those who must have a glass tank. At less than $15 the Erlkonigin clone has solved the problem for me. I do have to drill it out a bit, but the result is satisfying lung hits when desired, and otherwise very Kayfun-like goodness. For stealth rigs, the Lemo drop is coming and the Erl mini clone is already here. An added benefit of both, in either size, is lighter weight. The V4 is going to be very heavy by comparison. That's a positive for some, but for me a big negative. I'm quite certain I would not choose the V4 for carrying in my shirt pocket.

So I want to try one, but there's certainly no rush. What's going into my cart today is a couple of Erlkonigin minis to add to my big one. The big one is already very pocketable because of its light weight. The little one will be even more so. :)

Last edited:

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I like single coil, mouth to lung tanks that are built like a Mack truck. A better Kayfun sounds wonderful. Something that is more like a dripper with a tank, but not quite as good as an actual dripper..... Not for me. The K4 certainly isn't for everyone, but I'm personally glad they kept the same basic concept and just made it better.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I paid about $125 once for a kayfun mini. Gulp. I couldn't wait for it to be cloned. I think it was like 9 months later that it got cloned. If the airflow is good on the kf4 clone them I'll buy a few I guess. Until then I'm really digging the latest russian 91% clone on ft.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just like the one on alibaba, that looks like pics of an authentic. We'll see. Thanks for the link.

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll be in line for one of these. I still use Kayfun 3.1's and will like a better airflow and top fill. I fill Mine from the top anyway.

Didn't care for lemo's much. Hits hard with the airflow thing but just really cheaply made and poor design.

Like most of you I drip as well but still like to fill a couple of tanks and go.

@hobbykid.... I still want all your old " original , original " Kayfuns. :). I know you got em. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll be in line for one of these. I still use Kayfun 3.1's and will like a better airflow and top fill. I fill Mine from the top anyway.

Didn't care for lemo's much. Hits hard with the airflow thing but just really cheaply made and poor design.

Like most of you I drip as well but still like to fill a couple of tanks and go.

@hobbykid.... I still want all your old " original , original " Kayfuns. :). I know you got em. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hahaha are you the one who asked before? I have 'parts' and lots of them for kf lites, 3.1 es' and 91%s. I don't mind paying them forward (tho would keep some of the 91%s but the cut off time for posting internationally is tmrw the 12th so it'd be in jan.

Probably gotta lot of vivi novas too

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hahaha are you the one who asked before? I have 'parts' and lots of them for kf lites, 3.1 es' and 91%s. I don't mind paying them forward (tho would keep some of the 91%s but the cut off time for posting internationally is tmrw the 12th so it'd be in jan.

Probably gotta lot of vivi novas too

Don't forget about me HK , i am , after all, the one who has been trying break you out of prison , with little success so far i might add .

Nobody should be subjected to that kind of treatment , thrown rotting road kill carcasses for food and whipped and beaten on a daily basis , how awful .

I gladly accept all junk and discards and regularly overpay for stuff that most would not take for free which makes me a perfect candidate to rip off.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I see no one's mentioned the vivi novas lol

I've got a case full of cartos I'm saving for the zombie apocalypse

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'll gladly grossly overpay for anything .

I'm kidding with you HK , i know your in the UK , hold on to your stuff , you may actually end up needing them in the future if you live by Murphy's law like i do .

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll gladly grossly overpay for anything .

I'm kidding with you HK , i know your in the UK , hold on to your stuff , you may actually end up needing them in the future if you live by Murphy's law like i do .
Tbh I've found it to be the opposite with vape. I've tended to hoard o-rings, tanks, driptips, just everything. But you know how it is, we move on and stuff gets put aside. Vape is a very different thing to me compared to say, tools or (actually I can't think of another example off hand). I do send out stuff around the UK. I'll do a sift through in the new year and see what's what and look into cost.

So long as gear goes to a good home and actually gets used, then its ok. It's just when someone chucks it in their draw it's a waste. That's why I try and advise people not to go spending momentous wads of cash on vape cases and juice eyc with vapourisers as birthday and xmas presents to introduce smokers to vaping.

Rawmade

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Eychotech who sources their stuff from other manufacturers and vendors so not sure who its really from

VU Sponsors