Become a Patron!

kayfun build help

aarrgh

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have the kayfun black edition. I can build it just fine with 32 gauge wire or smaller. But at that gauge my coils tend to last only a few days. I would like to make them with 28 gauge wire.

But with the thicker wire, I just can't seem to get the screw to tighten up on it. I will think I have it placed correctly, and tighten down, only to have the wire pop out, over and over. I tryed buying some screws from amazon, that looked like they had flatter bottoms, but once I got them, they were still slightly rounded. So they still popped out, every time.

So, does anyone else have this issue, and what did you do to fix it? Either a special technique or buying different screws, etc.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Use needle nose pliers or hemostats to pull the wire and loop it around the screw. Personally I use 30g and have no issues with coils lasting a long time.

It's a well known issue with the Kayfun clones. You can overcome it by laying your lead clockwise (on the right side of the screw) and wind it tightly around the screw before tightening it. It works.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Are you placing the coil with the leads on the bottom side so they are in line with the screws? Putting the coil side down creates an angle on the leads that can cause trouble when tightening. Once it's screwed down tightly you can lift and adjust the coil position for clearance to prevent shorts. Personally I wrap kayfun coils counter-clockwise (starting with the wire on the bottom of the wrap). When wrapping the lead on the screw I go against the direction of the screw tightening rotation and pull it tight and hold it against the other side of the deck while tightening. This keeps the coil from being pulled too far off the mark and makes final positioning a little easier.

aarrgh

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I always put the leads down, but I usually wrap clockwise. I have tried counter clockwise before, and it didn't help...but I will try again.

I've also tried pliers to pull wire around. Usually I pull to hard, and either mess up the coil, or pull it to close to the post. But even on the times that didn't happen, the wire still popped out from under the screw.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If all else fails wrap the ends of the coil around a tiny screw driver so there round. Take out the screws and place the screws thru the holes and replace them in the atty.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have the kayfun black edition. I can build it just fine with 32 gauge wire or smaller. But at that gauge my coils tend to last only a few days. I would like to make them with 28 gauge wire.

But with the thicker wire, I just can't seem to get the screw to tighten up on it. I will think I have it placed correctly, and tighten down, only to have the wire pop out, over and over. I tryed buying some screws from amazon, that looked like they had flatter bottoms, but once I got them, they were still slightly rounded. So they still popped out, every time.

So, does anyone else have this issue, and what did you do to fix it? Either a special technique or buying different screws, etc.

Wrap the wire all the way around the screws.. Just one wrap. Leave your leads long enough and it wont be hard to do at all.

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nailz can you get me the link to those screws. Thx

Sure
Code:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-PIECE-M1-6-0-35-X-3MM-THRU-10MM-STAINLESS-SOCKET-HEAD-CAP-SCREW-BOLT-/301203679386?var=&clk_rvr_id=659587741520&VER=single&viewandbid=301203679386&POS=viewandbid

Just copy the link into your browser, when just do the link, it does the ebay app

dash

Member For 4 Years
Sure
Code:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-PIECE-M1-6-0-35-X-3MM-THRU-10MM-STAINLESS-SOCKET-HEAD-CAP-SCREW-BOLT-/301203679386?var=&clk_rvr_id=659587741520&VER=single&viewandbid=301203679386&POS=viewandbid

Just copy the link into your browser, when just do the link, it does the ebay app
I am confused... nothing new here.
What length would I want?

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No.. they are M1.6 screws.. metric 1.6mm. You can get them in 3mm thru 10mm length.

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
nice info, thanks folks. Now maybe the damn thing will tighten without slipping..

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes you order the 3mm screws, I changed all my KF's to these screws, and never have to wrap the coil legs around the screws after putting these on, just like said, make sure you got a hex key for them.

aarrgh

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I just spent over 2 hours retrying everything suggested here. Still just not able to do it :( I ruined 6 coils, and didn't even come very close. Nailz, those screws look much better than what I have, I will order some to see if they help.

After giving up on the 28g. I put on a 32g coil in under 5 minutes Didn't even have the slightest problem.

I might as well ask for opinions on why I pop my 32g coils every few days. I think I know what the problem there is, but could be wrong.

I like to vape at high wattage. I like at least 15 watts, usually 20. I would even possibly go higher than that, but the coils burn through almost immediately if i go above 20 w. I usually build around 1.2 - 1.5 ohm. If I made them 2.5 or so, would that make them able to handle the higher watts?

Any more suggestions?

I use a hana 30w clone, if that makes any difference in troubleshooting my issues.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I use 32 gauge Kanthal and my coils last a long time. As long as I get a good connetion with the screws.

But even when you do a dry burn religiously, they do need to be replaced IMHO after a week of use to get the best flavor

I know this sounds stupid, but I find it absolutely necessary to do my KFL+ build on a solid workstation under a very bright lite.

It don't sound like much but it makes all the difference in the world to my end results!

aarrgh

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I don't dry burn at all. . They don't just gunk up, and lose flavor. They break off at the post. So I just assume it is either to much voltage, or that since I have trouble making wires stay under screw, I might tighten them down to hard. Probably a combination of both.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I don't dry burn at all. . They don't just gunk up, and lose flavor. They break off at the post. So I just assume it is either to much voltage, or that since I have trouble making wires stay under screw, I might tighten them down to hard. Probably a combination of both.

If they are breaking that the post, I am thinking that you are creating stress points in the wire trying to get them in the right position?

Too many bends in the wire getting them into the right place?

Also, are you pre-heating the wire with a lighter or torch prior to forming the coil to make the metal more pliable? That might be your ticket to a successful coil.

oncebitten

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I can build it just fine with 32 gauge wire or smaller. But at that gauge my coils tend to last only a few days.

I use 30 gauge wire and my coils typically last 2-3 weeks and that's even dry burning them when changing flavors. Maybe I'm just lucky....

aarrgh

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
My torch is out of butane at the moment, but I do use a lighter each time. I don't think it is to many bends in the wire. Usually with the smaller wire, I put it straight on, without any issues.

Your probably not just lucky oncebitten. You are probably doing something right, that I'm doing wrong. What wattage/voltage are you using?

I'm almost sure that Is why mine pop so often. I can make it happen anytime, just by raising to 30 w. I think most people only use 10 to 15 watts at most on kayfuns. But I really like a hot vape.

oncebitten

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Your probably not just lucky oncebitten. You are probably doing something right, that I'm doing wrong. What wattage/voltage are you using?

Depending on the PG/VG ratio and the flavor I'm vaping, I'm typically anywhere between 10-20 watts. I rarely go up as high as 30 watts. I typically build around a 1.5-1.8 ohm coil. Nothing fancy, just a simple, little micro coil using cotton as a wick. I don't think there really is any right or wrong, just keep experimenting until you find what works for you :)

aarrgh

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If you go to 20 watts sometimes without issue, then maybe wattage isn't my problem. I'm still experimenting :) I would just like to get mine to last 1 week. I don't mind rebuilding on the weekend, but hate to mess with it during the week. especially when it pops at work.

oncebitten

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you go to 20 watts sometimes without issue, then maybe wattage isn't my problem. I'm still experimenting :) I would just like to get mine to last 1 week. I don't mind rebuilding on the weekend, but hate to mess with it during the week. especially when it pops at work.

Popping at work would really suck :(

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ya, I think you are tightening too hard... Snub them down, dry fire a couple of times, and check them again. Not so tight you start pinching them though..

PT Rampy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Torch the wire first to remove springiness.

Use small hemostats/needle nose to wrap the wire all around the screw.

aarrgh

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I use to have the same problem, I got new screws from ebay, and problem solved, get the 3mm ones, just make sure you have a small enough hex key -

Thanks! These screws totally fixed the wire popping out problem.

Now I just have to deal with my fat, clumsy fingers. Don't think anyone can help me with that though :)

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks! These screws totally fixed the wire popping out problem.

Now I just have to deal with my fat, clumsy fingers. Don't think anyone can help me with that though :)

Glad they worked for you :)

Yea sorry I don't have a link for new fingers :D

VU Sponsors