Kayfun lite plus help

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I was given a kayfun lite plus. I like the convenience of being able to grab it and go whenever I'm walking my dog or what have you. But my problem is I keep getting burnt hits. I'm running a .7 coil on a mech mod, single 18650 battery. I tried pancaking, but it leaked all over the place and I wasted a lot of juice. I also tried leaving the barrel a little loose, that also made it leak. I got so fed up and frustrated I was snapping at my wife all night because I was in such an irritable mood, mostly over the wasted juice. Can anyone give me any good advice?

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unfortunately the kayfuns as well.as other tanks are very finacky with wicking...you either get it right or you dont...I would check out some youtube vids on wicking them and ,hopefully you can get one of them to work for you...Im pretty rehearsed with wicking mine and its still a pain in the ass to get it right...Best of luck.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
.7 is pretty low for a lite plus. I've always had the best results - even with high VG - just trimming the wick to just touch the deck and making sure the channels are not blocked.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
.7 is pretty low for a lite plus. I've always had the best results - even with high VG - just trimming the wick to just touch the deck and making sure the channels are not blocked.

I have to agree with said, above...the kayfun tends to like around 1.2ohms...the lower the ohms, the faster it burns what juice is on that tiny wick... the .7 ohm is basically too hot for it.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Getting a kayfun to perform well with fixed voltage is a big pain in the ass in my opinion. I've had mine for over a year and still use it for a couple hours every morning. After all the trial and error I've found large diameter, 28g coils that are slightly longer than the deck airflow hole, standard cotton wicking and power dialed in by a variable power mod provide me with the best performance. I get a warm, super flavorful mouth to lung vape. If you can, I highly recommend building it for and running it with a vw box. Just my thoughts. Good luck.

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I googled it and an ecf page popped up (in not a member there, but their pages pop up a lot in my Google search results), and someone recommended doing primer pulls where you cover the air hole part way through a pull. I did that and the flavor was great, no burnt taste. If I could cover the side air hole permanently without it looking like crap I probably would, it gets plenty of flow with just the bottom air flow hole.

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I tried trimming the wick to just touch the deck and was getting really bad burnt hits. Seems like the channels on the side could be made wider and that might help. I'm still getting some burnt hits, not as bad but still not great. Seems like the thicker the wick, the less juice gets through also. I don't have money for a regulated mod right now unfortunately, wife might get me an istick 30w for Christmas. I went to a local shop to learn how to build coils and the guy there recommended .6, I built a coil and it came out .7. He said a 1ohm wouldn't fit. I went by his word. I'm using 26g kanthal.

Spent

Member For 4 Years
I think they are simple and very reliable to build. Lefty is spot on. I build around 1.5 and I even enjoy a 2.5 ohm around a 3mm 28 gage K A1. just touch the deck with not to much wick, I run a toothpick between the open chimney and tuck the wick against the post making sure the channels are clear. I rarely go over 20 watts on a regulated box. Never a leak, dry hit, my all day pocket device. there is a ton of U Tubes on building a KayFun.

A wile ago people where talking of grinding the fluid channels bigger for more flow. But I haven't see that discussion in a year or more.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think they are simple and very reliable to build. Lefty is spot on. I build around 1.5 and I even enjoy a 2.5 ohm around a 3mm 28 gage K A1. just touch the deck with not to much wick, I run a toothpick between the open chimney and tuck the wick against the post making sure the channels are clear. I rarely go over 20 watts on a regulated box. Never a leak, dry hit, my all day pocket device. there is a ton of U Tubes on building a KayFun.

A wile ago people where talking of grinding the fluid channels bigger for more flow. But I haven't see that discussion in a year or more.
Sounds like how I run mine. 28g, 3mm, something like 8 or 9 wraps and 2.1ohms (mine's a 3.1 so I think the extra ss parts might add resistance). I get a fantastic vape at a mere 17watts.
6Y2ZWva.jpg

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't have an ohm checker, but I do have a dmm. I know you are not supposed to use them, but its all I got. No money for an ohm checker. Anyway, the .7 coil was 5 wraps @ 2.4mm. I just did 9 wraps @ 2.4mm and tested for continuity (no use testing ohms, already tried that with my dmm when I got home from the shop and its useless. The guy at the shop read my ohms for me when I was there). So there was continuity and I also checked it by firing.

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I also did not squeeze the coil together while hot. I squeezed it cold, this left gaps for the heavy vg juice I vape to better penetrate.

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I seem to have figured it out. I was still getting burnt hits after putting a higher build on. So I drained the tank and took it apart. I decided to fire the coil and squeeze it with tweezers. I then put a new wick in. I used rayon instead of cotton, because rayon is a little easier to separate and thin out. I trimmed the wick to touch the deck. I also made the ends of the wick pointed to make them easier to push into the channels. I put the barrel and chimney on, and filled the tank. I let it sit for a bit, and then I picked it up to try it out. Took quite a few pulls, not one burnt or dry hit.

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well the tank is pretty much useless right now. It's missing the o-ring that goes between the chimney and the top cap. So at this point I won't be able to use it. I don't even know where to get one.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well the tank is pretty much useless right now. It's missing the o-ring that goes between the chimney and the top cap. So at this point I won't be able to use it. I don't even know where to get one.
The o-ring size is 5mm by 1.5mm. Word is that a #8 o-ring from your local hardware or box store will work. Haven't tried one myself.
You can use your DMM. It's not recommended for accuracy at very low resistance but will give you a fair idea at levels closer to 1 ohm. Set it for 200 in the ohm range and hold your leads together to check the resistance inherent in the leads. Subtract this from the reading you get when checking the coil to get the coil's resistance.
The air hole on the bottom should have a grub screw in it. Sounds like it's been removed. You could always cover the bottom hole where it can't be seen. This might also help with creating a bit more suction to pull juice into the channels, which need to be unobstructed to feed the wick properly.

Last edited:

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This coil is about 1 ohm exactly, my dmm is jumping around a bit, resistance in the leads is .9, reading the coil it jumps up and down from 1.9 to 1.7 but usually stays right around 1.8 so idk. I was able to replace the screw for the bottom air hole. Will look into o-ring, thanks

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I haven't gotten to a hardware store yet, that's tomorrow hopefully. But I do think the burnt hits are due to the missing o-ring. When I was reading that ecf page, I gathered that there is supposed to be pressure in the tank in order to feed the juice to the wick. Well, without that o-ring, there is no pressure. I'm thinking of going right around 1ohm. I prefer vapor that is a bit warmer. I'm a little higher on my rda, 1.4-1.5 ohms but that is because I find it easier to take bigger hits above 1ohm. But I don't take very big hits out of my tank, so that isn't as much of an issue. Especially when I first wake up, I really like a warmer vapor.

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Lowes is the closest hardware store to me. They have a 0.125in. by 0.06in. o-ring listed in their website. It's the closest standard size that matches.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I got so fed up and frustrated I was snapping at my wife all night because I was in such an irritable mood, mostly over the wasted juice. Can anyone give me any good advice?

Seek marriage counseling. Perhaps anger management. Or maybe just buy an atty that does not leak.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't have an ohm checker, but I do have a dmm. I know you are not supposed to use them, but its all I got. No money for an ohm checker.

Just cross the leads on your DMM, note the reading, then measure the resistance of your coil, and subtract the number you wrote down.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The tank works using vacuum, not pressure. Because the wick has to fight the vacuum of the tank, because the kayfun has small juice channels and because the airflow is pretty restricted, the kayfun is pretty picky about the build, wicking and power level it will handle. When it's all right it's great, but... Like I said earlier, getting a kayfun to perform well on a fixed voltage mech is a real pain in the ass. I only run mine around 17 watts, but the voltage being applied is 6 volts. You're trying to get good performance with under 4 volts and wire that in my opinion isn't the best gauge to use even when the power is adjustable. I'll be surprised if you get it to do what you want by setting it up and running it the way you are. Just my thoughts based on my experiences. Good luck.

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well lets see, at 1.2ohms I am pulling 3.5amps, about 21 watts, not too bad I wouldn't think. I may even go up to 1.4ohms but we will see. I am not trying to get this tank to do anything fancy, so I don't know where you are getting this idea of "doing what I want it to do". The only reason I had a .7 build on there is because that's what the shop owner recommended. I mean, 1.2-1.4ohms at 4.2v is certainly nothing crazy. As far as how warm the flavor gets, I do have some control over that by how fast or slow I pull. I will likely only use my tank 2-3 times a day, and I don't chain vape. I just feel like you're assuming I expect high performance out of this tank, and I don't know why. I just want it to work and not leak, and be there for me when I need to use it. I drip most of the time, I just like the convenience of being able to throw my tank on and go when I want to walk my dog, or on my break at work (when I find a job) or during a long car ride. I don't think that is too much to ask.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm just talking about getting a warm, flavorful, consistent vape without dry hits. Nothing fancy.

hexskrew

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
TL:DR - You can get a much better tank for $25 online which is what I would suggest, but there is still some life left in that Kayfun if you keep reading :)

I have been building a 20g 5 wrap vertical coil configuration and cotton that goes through the center of the coil and Y's out, just barely touching the deck. I dunno how wide it is, about the size of a small screwdriver I use. It's clocking in at 1.23Ohms, I'm vaping at 3.1Volts/8Watts and well.. it's not the most cloud chasing thing by any stretch, but the vape is smooth and the flavor is there. I can go up to 15 Watts, but I have to wait a good moment between hits or else it'll burn the cotton. Between 10 and 15 watts however since I am using 15mg nic juice, it's just too harsh. I have been meaning to rebuild it to 10 wraps for more flavor, but I have just been lazy and replacing the cotton. lol

But it's reliable for sure. Sucks about your o'ring though. They do have rebuild kits for them all over the place for only a few bucks. I have been needing to buy one for mine because it was given to me not too long ago, and before I had it... Well... I think it resided in the back of someone's truck box getting knocked around like crazy for a few years with juice still in it :X It boiled out clean though. Still would like to take some brasso to the internal chimney to get it nice and shiney again but I'm in no hurry.

I'm going to be buying a Kanger subtank anyway soon with an RBA, but the Kayfun keeps me goin' for now.

*Side note* - Noticed that well... A full rebuild kit costs only $2 less than buying a whole new (knockoff) kayfun. That's kinda dumb, but found the o'ring and screw set here for only $3:
http://shop.vaperev.com/atomizers/s...n-spare-o-ring-and-replacement-screw-set.html

Last edited:

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Idk, the tank is all about convenience for me, I want to be able to grab it and go without having to fuck with it all the time. I'm considering picking up a goblin rta I saw on eBay for $8.

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So anyway, I did get the tank to where it doesn't leak anymore. But let me say this. #8 o-ring between the chimney and top cap? False. I ordered online through home depot for in store pickup and as soon as I got the box in my hands, I could see that a #8 is way too big. I didn't have the tank with me to eyeball the proper size, so I grabbed a 10pk of #60 and exchanged them. When I got home, the #60 turned out to be too small, so here is what I did. I stretched them over the chimney and stacked until I had enough on there to create a seal. It worked. Tank does not leak anymore. I also built a vertical coil, 12 wraps around a 2.4mm Philips screwdriver. Didn't bother to check ohms since my multimeter sucks at that. Might order an ohm checker on eBay. Anyway, I did check for continuity. Vertical coils are a bitch to install on this type of post. So I wicked it, went to test it and I didn't get any dry hits but I wasn't getting much vapor either. Tested my battery, 3.78 so maybe that had something to do with it, I'll try again in the morning.

How are you filling your Kayfun? If you're top filling, you have to close off the air hole. Once the tank is full, give the top a couple of turns (not tight), invert it until you see the air bubble rise, then tighten. You must keep the air hole closed the entire time to top fill the Kayfun.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So anyway, I did get the tank to where it doesn't leak anymore. But let me say this. #8 o-ring between the chimney and top cap? False.
That's why I qualified it. It came from a forum post elsewhere and you know how forum stuff can be wrong. :)
I never cared much for verticals in a kayfun. I always had the best results with a simple horizontal contact or open depending on the juice at 1 to 1.5 ohms wicked as I described.

Last edited:

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm not getting dry hits anymore, but I think I need a little more wick. I'm not getting much vapor. If I prime the coil I get more vapor, but I also get juice in my mouth when I do that. Side note, ordered an ohm checker on eBay last night for $7.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm betting the 12 wrap coil is kinda high in resistance so with only battery voltage being applied the resulting power is probably nowhere near high enough.

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just ordered an orchid v2 clone on eBay for $7 shipped. The orchid has less capacity, so my plan is if possible to take the kayfun tank and chimney and use them on the orchid for a bit more capacity. This kayfun is just too damn finnicky with the narrow juice channels and everything else. Building on it is extremely hard.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You're breaking my heart sir. :( Giving up on the benchmark of rebuildable mouth to lung tanks because you refuse to run it on the right kind of mod. I know you're probably tired of me posting in this thread, but I know what a kayfun is capable of and I know why you can't get yours sorted out and I'm disappointed that you'll never experience a proper kayfun vape. There's a reason why almost nobody puts a kayfun on a mech. Oh well, I tried. Hope your next atty works out better for you.

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's not that I "refuse" to run it on the right kind of mod, its that I can't afford a regulated mod. This mech was given to me. I really don't appreciate the criticism.

hexskrew

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's not that I "refuse" to run it on the right kind of mod, its that I can't afford a regulated mod. This mech was given to me. I really don't appreciate the criticism.

I kinda can't blame you man, but at the same time, regulated mods are getting stupid stupid cheap. i just got the iLeaf 100w box mod for $26. Hell two years ago you could barely buy a damn crappy Ego battery for that price.

But at the same time I kinda feel ya. I have tried sooo many types of builds on the kayfun. Verical, horizontal, big gauge, small gauge, dual nano coils.. The best vape I ever got out of it (which just wasn't that much) was with that 28 gauge 4 to 5 wrap verticoil.

My normal vape is a cheap ass Kanger tank (ooold style like TS3 syles). You know what? You can't beat the damn thing unless you upgrade to something like a Subtank or Nautilus. I challenge anyone to build this and tell me wrong:

Clearo - Cheap ass TS3/Evod/Something else, they are all the same.
Take apart that crappy ass coil it came with and toss the inner coil in the garbage. Throw it harder if it's a BDC.
Build this:
Single coil bottom end: 8 to 9 wrap 30 gauge micro coil made on the end of a needle tip ejuice bottle with cotton wicking.
Ohms rating? Generally between 1.1 and 1.4ohms.
Flavor? Oh yeah, it's there and it's ALLL GOOD
Power requirements? Best I have vaped on it is 3 Volts / 8 Watts
Cloud? I have been told pretty darned good for a cheap clearo, and I very much agree. Some people find it hard to believe
Hassle? None! Turn upside down, unscrew, add juice, screw, then screw it in your mod and go! At worst you have to rebuild the coil. Takes me about 3 to 5 minutes. I usually rebuild about once every two weeks (though I change the coil each week, I just build two).

Downside? You need to use some type of regulated mod, even if it's a spinner but not an unregulated mod.

Now I have been building these TS3 single micro-coil builds for a few months now. I support my local vapors at work (about 5 of them), and we all use these cheap TS3's minus this one guy who insists replacing his shitty dual bottom coil that's off the wall and can't be rebuilt every couple of days. My desk usually looks like a science lab once every two weeks building out about 15 coils, but hell, they give me the money for kanthal, my local vape shop hooks me up with a bag of free cotton almost every time I go which... I have an abundance of it by now (probably enough for a year).

So yeah man. I'm with ya. The Kayfun had it's prime and can still be a good vape, but at how much cost in juice and time getting it set up just right? That's my question.

Since your using an unregulated mod, I seriously challenge you to try my method on even a set 3.3v ego battery and tell me what you think. You might be very very very surprised.

*Side note*
Yes I get laughed at when I go to my local vape shop with a TS3 sitting on a 100 watt boxmod. Until I give it a big hit that is and eyes just flap open wide in disbelief. :D

Last edited:

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I wasted a lot of juice emptying it every time I had a problem, because you can't get every single last drop out and after about 20/30 times emptying it, those wasted drops add up. I know how cheap regulated mods are getting, and that's great, just unemployed right now. Still pissed I wasted all that juice. It's peach, favorite flavor of the 3 I currently have, which were given to me. That's why I'm dripping the peach. Island tobacco isn't too bad to drip either, gonna run orange tic tac in my orchid when it gets here and switch between island tobacco and what's left of the peach for dripping.

Last edited:

hexskrew

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My normal vape is a cheap ass Kanger tank
I wasted a lot of juice emptying it every time I had a problem, because you can't get every single last droovout and after about 20/30 times emptying it, those wasted drops add up. I know how cheap regulated mods are getting, and that's great, just unemployed right now. Still pissed I wasted all that juice. It's peach, favorite flavor of the 3 I currently have, which were given to me. That's why I'm dripping the peach. Island tobacco isn't too bad to drip either, gonna run orange tic tac in my orchid when it gets here and switch between island tobacco and what's left of the peach for dripping.
Yep. Pretty much same thing here. I have wasted SOOOOOO much juice messing with the thing it's pointless. My favorite is called Black Forrest by a shop a few towns away, but locally my favorite is Apple Melon. I'm into the more fruity flavors generally but my local shop also makes a bad ass Nanna' Puddin'

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I had some banana split once I liked, I'm generally into more sweet flavors, but some fruits aren't bad. Right now I have peach, island tobacco and orange tic tac, all were homemade and generously given to me by someone on this forum.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't know what you don't post. Had you said a mech was your only current power supply option I would have left it alone. Instead I've gone out of my way to try and help. I guess you don't appreciate that either.

The thing I don't understand, how is 1.2 not enough on your Kayfun with a mech? I always use my Kayfuns on my mechs at 1.2 with 28awg kanthal and never have any issues with flavor or vapor production. I get an entire workday out of a single battery easy. When I first started dabbling with mechs, I started at 1.8 28awg on the Kayfun and found it lacking after only a few hours. I'd have to hold the fire button for half a second before I began to draw. Now with the 1.2 coils it is pretty consistent, with little drop in vapor or flavor.

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't have money for a regulated mod right now unfortunately, wife might get me an istick 30w for Christmas.

You mean like when I said this? Yeah.

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't know what you don't post. Had you said a mech was your only current power supply option I would have left it alone. Instead I've gone out of my way to try and help. I guess you don't appreciate that either.

5th post, about middle of the paragraph.

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Apology accepted

VU Sponsors