Become a Patron!

KFL+2, New Builder, and Ohms for Taste

Arro

Member For 5 Years
I struggeled with my kfl 2+ too until i whatced this wid
I do it the same way he does in a 2,4 mm 8 wrap coil lands me at 1.6 ohm only use my kfl 2+ now adays love the taste.
By the vay i use about 90% vg still wicks like a champ with this way of building it and a build lasts me 5-7 days

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Great! I'll watch this vid in just a little while. :)

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
At the moment I'm using a Kayfun 3.1 with a tank extension, but somehow I built this one better than I have my other two and I'm getting awesome flavor out of it. I'm not sure exactly what I did different, though.

I'll definitely check out this video and see what I've been doing "wrong".

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Other than being backward, great video! I'll have to try this method out. I've been twisting and compressing my wick pretty good (rolling it) up 'til now. It's been looser in my coil, but pretty tightly wrapped. Perhaps that's causing some of my issues, too.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I am getting ready to build one myself.

Does your leak if you lay it on its side?

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've been told not to keep it on its side, so I've always kept it upright.

Arro

Member For 5 Years
i like my mods upright on the table but when i go outside il like to have my mod in the pocket of my jacket this build hasnt leaked on me yet :)

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@Arro, I'll try this wicking method with one of my next builds.

In the meantime, I received my ReadyxWick to try.

I'm definitely getting a different (not good or bad) flavor profile from my juice, but I've apparently done something wrong, because it's not wicking properly. I need to coax it along throughout the day. The good news is that it doesn't taste burnt when I find I need to suck some juice into the wick.

I can't tell if I have my wick too short or too long, but I think it's getting in the way of my juice channels.

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Still working on technique and wicking, but as far as hardware, I think I'm good for now. Although...I really would like that blue KFL+2!

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Not too sure I like RxW.

I like not re-wicking often, but I just can't seem to get my KFLs to wick properly. I'm constantly needing to suck some juice into the wick and force some air into the tank. I know it has more to do with my technique (or, at least I THINK it does), but I got used to cotton for a while there, and I could prevent it from burning, for the most part.

Blech. I don't know.

I need to try the technique in that video.

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I was actually going to try it today. I got lazy yesterday and just filled my RxW tank. I'll re-wick one of my other tanks today with this method.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@Emilie ... I have been building Kayfuns for a year and maybe it's just me but I don't think I'll ever get the right amount of wick either....at first I was scared of using cotton in Kayfuns because sometimes I forget to lock my mods (i use regulated devices at work but I've had them still go off in my pocket pressing up against something else) and having the wick burn up....but i got over my fears and started using cotton anyways and I have burned it up in my pocket twice...I more than one tank with me for that reason...but my two cents for what it's worth...

I started off using ready x wick in my Kayfuns and I can tell you that using two 2mm strands instead of a single 3mm wick will wick the liquid better. It has to be cut to length but the advantage of ready x is if you have too much as long as it's not clogging up the juice channel it will still wick...too short and you'll be tipping and rolling your tank around to make the liquid catch the wick....you have to prime the wicks just like cotton and remember that they wick slower for their size so it takes them awhile to get saturated but if they dry they won't burn and they hold juice well once you get it there. The best way to wick the coil with RXW is to take a 20 gauge needle for the 2mm or an 18 gauge needle for the 3mm and cut off the part that connects to the syringe and slide them into the wicks since they're hollow....this will make it really easy to wrap a micro coil on the wick to form and the needles will slide right out....you have to dry burn the wicks every few tanks still but it's easy if you dry burn the coil till the center is white then take a torch and torch the ends of the wick till they are also white...if you leave any of the wick charr colored it will affect the taste.

when using cotton I've tried stuffing the wick super tight and using less wick so it slides in and out super easy....I find a little looser wick works for me...I use a 2.4mm drill bit with 8 wraps to get a 1.4 ohm coil....I used 29 gauge at first for a 1.7-1.8ish (I know 29 gauge cost way more for some stupid reason but I really like it and found it works well in protank coils were 28 gauge seems to just be too big.) I like the better taste of cotton but I use darker/sweeter flavors so it seems like no matter how much wick i use I have to change it every three-four tanks or I start getting that burnt taste and even at only 12 watts I get some charred wick even with the airflow wide open. Another thing I found that helps is if you pinch the cotton with tweezers by the coil and fan out the ends with a toothpick by the juice channels it seems to wick a little better. another thing you can do to make sure you've got good juice flow is after you've got your wick installed put the bottom part of the chimney on and leave the top part off...then block your airflow hole with your finger and suck on it....if you can easily suck air threw the juice channels then you've got the wick in a good place, if it feels blocked or no airflow at all you wanna take a toothpick and tweak them a little so some air gets threw... you want to make sure that there is some resistance to know the wicks are in the right place to soak up juice but this will help make sure you have a good juice flow when the tank is put together......

I know this was long but I fight with this still after a year...happy vaping and good luck!

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I admit that I prefer the taste of RxW when I get dry hits over cotton, but something about the RxW isn't letting my tanks "breathe", hence I'm getting more dry hits.

I'll experiment more.

@Arro, I didn't get a chance to try that wick method yesterday. Perhaps today. My husband has us on a "The Mentalist" marathon. We just finished Season 2. Four more to go.

I really need to make more time for getting to know my gear! I barely had time to mix up a new batch of my ADV.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I admit that I prefer the taste of RxW when I get dry hits over cotton, but something about the RxW isn't letting my tanks "breathe", hence I'm getting more dry hits.

I'll experiment more.

@Arro, I didn't get a chance to try that wick method yesterday. Perhaps today. My husband has us on a "The Mentalist" marathon. We just finished Season 2. Four more to go.

I really need to make more time for getting to know my gear! I barely had time to mix up a new batch of my ADV.

You have to be careful though...I get sucked into toying with coils and then the next thing I know is I've spent the whole afternoon just wrapping coils and get nothing else done....it's a lot of fun for me and I have a hard time stopping myself. Too much fun and who wants to do chores when there's vape to be made?!? :)

yeah, no one likes the burnt cotton of doom flavor...that's what I was saying about using the 2 2mm wicks instead of a single 3mm ready x wick...those are thick braided ceramic wicks...just like silica but even more it feels like it takes them a long time to wick up and saturate...using the two smaller wicks help wick quicker and you get more wick in there without completely jamming up the tank....I tried using two 3mm wicks and in my experience it just feels like it jams up the chamber and there isn't any room for anything to get done in there but dry burn. I forgot to say I use 28 gauge for the 1.4 ohm coil...I started with 29 gauge for the higher 1.8 ohm coil because I first was using a provari and switched to DNA type devices. I use 27 gauge for a 1-1.2 ohm coil on mechs with it to give me around the same amount of power after voltage drop.

There is no wrong coil...only the coil that works best for you...but you're limited by the size of the chamber because you need room for not just wick but airflow so picking the right gauge wire will really help make your kayfun come alive for you. having a syringe makes it a lot easier to play around with it too so you can easily drain and fill the tank as you tweak your builds....

as for the mentalist...i've never seen it but I do the same thing...I'll start watching a series on netflix and get sucked in...evil netflix :)

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's worse...we bought every available season on DVD. It's not out on blu-ray, or we would have gotten those. :oops:

As far as Kayfuns go, I got the blue KFL+2 and a quartz tank, so I'll be able to try another mix that I'd like to make.

I found that I have one coil that I prefer out of the three I've done so far. Same winding, but I did a better job with this one. It's also the one I have the RxW in. Not sure what to think of that yet.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's worse...we bought every available season on DVD. It's not out on blu-ray, or we would have gotten those. :oops:

As far as Kayfuns go, I got the blue KFL+2 and a quartz tank, so I'll be able to try another mix that I'd like to make.

I found that I have one coil that I prefer out of the three I've done so far. Same winding, but I did a better job with this one. It's also the one I have the RxW in. Not sure what to think of that yet.

if it's you're favorite than think of it as your favorite of the day...and then if you let the next one better than that one is your favorite of the day....vaping is all about playing favorites...favorite mod, favorite atty, favorite battery, favorite people to share vaping stuff and stories with...favorites.

Nothing wrong with a good series on DVD....My job is very physical so TV has become my favorite thing in my days off as of late now that it's cold and rainy....I just wish I had better taste...right now I am going threw 12 seasons of Family Guy :)

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
We watched Family Guy constantly (several episodes per day on TBS). We kinda fell off, though, and I'm not sure why.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
We watched Family Guy constantly (several episodes per day on TBS). We kinda fell off, though, and I'm not sure why.

I've been watching it on and off for about a week now after not watching it for years...always loved the show but I think Family Guy is kinda like cheap booze...you can only have so much before it rots your brain....all good things in moderation or whatever the saying is :)

VU Sponsors