Become a Patron!

Killer coils?

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have 24ga wire, a IPV2 and a tugboat v2. I use max VG juice. What are some coils that will make a steam engine? I don't usually do the cloud chasing thing, but I'm looking to tinker around for a change. I've been rebuilding for a long time so complicated coils will not be an issue. Thanks.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I did a quad parallel with 28ga the other day. It was so big that it was a pain to get on the deck without it touching the atty. It was 4 pieces of 28ga wrapped around a medium size screwdriver 9 times. It got hot so fast the driptip burnt tour lip after 3 drags. I only had 3.8 volts feeding it and it was still that hot.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Honestly, for me anyway, I get the best performance from your standard micro coil or parallel coil... Imo, those over the top builds are more for show. I like to build complicated coils more on the hobby side, just to see if I can, they never last long for me though. Just my opinion.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
No, I get it. I have an igow 4 and a old as hell 6$ nimbus clone from fastech. I put my odd builds on them. My tugboat is my everyday atty and I usually run regular coils on it.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Honestly, for me anyway, I get the best performance from your standard micro coil or parallel coil... Imo, those over the top builds are more for show. I like to build complicated coils more on the hobby side, just to see if I can, they never last long for me though. Just my opinion.

Not just for you , there are tons of comments all over the web claiming the same , the vast majority seem to say the fancies do not make for a better vape , if they did most everyone would be going that route. A simple single or double performs just as well .

It's all about what ohm you build them at and proper wicking.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Not just for you , there are tons of comments all over the web claiming the same , the vast majority seem to say the fancies do not make for a better vape , if they did most everyone would be going that route. A simple single or double performs just as well .

It's all about what ohm you build them at and proper wicking.

What would you say proper wicking is for a single or double on a tugboat? I usually tuck them under the coil on both sides. It ends up looking like the top of a heart with a coil in the center. I've tried tucking the whole wick under like a cotton cloud, but it has cotton threaded in the wick. You name it, I think I've tried it. I think I'm missing something because it doesn't hit the clouds you see on YouTube or in pics.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Don't have a tugboat but with cotton don't thread it through the coil really tight , it should have some minor play . With Rayon (since it tends to shrink and not expand like cotton) i thread it through the coil a little more snug and tuck both ends down into the well on an RDA like the Magma.

It's really just a matter of trial and error and having the coil made at the correct ohm's , lower ohm's with a lot of airflow will usually produce thicker clouds. What your juice makeup is , is also a factor , more VG = more clouds.

Oh, OK , i see you use max VG already , have you tried dual coils , try that if you can but what many are trying to say on here is that a fancy coil does not instantly equate to far more clouds or a better vape .

You may also want to try 26 or 28 gauge for faster heat up which will promote better cloud production , i know you have an iPV II but at what setting and is your coil heating up fast enough to get the most out of your RDA.

If your coil is taking a few seconds to heat up then you will need to hold down the firing button longer to compensate for that lost time , a coil that glows instantly will produce vapor faster and therefor seem to produce clouds quicker when you press the fire button , hit it and release like most folks do

Last edited:

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I get that a fancy coils isn't the ticket. I figured that out a while ago built triquez ET... Used dragon wicks ET... Never had much luck.

Thanks for all the help guys :)

I was just looking for any pointers or if anyone found anything that is super impressive.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No mine aren't that impressive but you will figure it out i'm sure , what is your biggest complaint by the way , not enough clouds? Do you experience this with all your RDA's and builds?

BUDKISS

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I have found a nichrome zipper coil at .10 on my ipv3 in dark horse is the best thing yet. Just saying

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I get decent clouds, but it seem like I could do way better when comparing to Grimm, rip and other who use the same builds. I was just looking for something to try. I use .9-1.2ish ohm coils and if I'm just vaping normal I vape between 30-40w depending on the flavor. I'm not to worried about it, just figured I was doing something wrong somewhere lol. Probably my wicking. I'll have to screw around with a new build later.

BUDKISS

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
28g 4 strand zipper coil is a beast

Oh yeah! Esp with nichrome.

I get some great ideas from TwistedMesses. I love the fused Clapton using nichrom and kathal ribbon.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh yeah! Esp with nichrome.

I get some great ideas from TwistedMesses. I love the fused Clapton using nichrom and kathal ribbon.
yea dude is a freaking artist. i was posting his videos (even some here) before he started gaining recognition

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I get decent clouds, but it seem like I could do way better when comparing to Grimm, rip and other who use the same builds. I was just looking for something to try. I use .9-1.2ish ohm coils and if I'm just vaping normal I vape between 30-40w depending on the flavor. I'm not to worried about it, just figured I was doing something wrong somewhere lol. Probably my wicking. I'll have to screw around with a new build later.

Post a pic of your coil setup , that would be easy to see if your doing something wrong.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One little thing I've learned along the way that has helped with all vg is coil diameter matters. Whether it's my single coil kayfun or duals in the tobh, using a larger than normal coil really helps the organic cotton I use feed that thick stuff into the coil fast enough to keep it from running dry. Wrapping around a 7/64 bit has worked out well. A shorter but fatter coil allows for more wick inside. I can chain vape all vg on either atty without dry hits. Running them hard with small diameter coils and thick juice doesn't work for me.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
One little thing I've learned along the way that has helped with all vg is coil diameter matters. Whether it's my single coil kayfun or duals in the tobh, using a larger than normal coil really helps the organic cotton I use feed that thick stuff into the coil fast enough to keep it from running dry. Wrapping around a 7/64 bit has worked out well. A shorter but fatter coil allows for more wick inside. I can chain vape all vg on either atty without dry hits. Running them hard with small diameter coils and thick juice doesn't work for me.

Thats a very good point and it's true , go large diameter coil with mostly VG . I go large diameter single coil in a lot of RDA 's , work very well .

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I can't get my phone to load a pic. Screw windows lol. I just put a .8 center coil on it. I'm going to mess with the wicking. I just got this PIMA cotton and I'm testing it out.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I can't get my phone to load a pic. Screw windows lol. I just put a .8 center coil on it. I'm going to mess with the wicking. I just got this PIMA cotton and I'm testing it out.

Got ya , let us know how it turns out.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Got ya , let us know how it turns out.

This new cotton is wicking much better than my normal cotton. It seems to be performing better as well. Now just to finish breaking it in, has a taste like hemp at first, but it is fading.

VU Sponsors