Become a Patron!

Kiln Furnace Heating Element?

Moto

Member For 4 Years
What do you think? A metre of Kanthal A1 coil 3mm dia made from 0.2mm Kanthal for less than £3 on Fleabay. Want 6 wraps? - snip off 8 and straighten the outer turns. Do you think it worth messing with. The majority of elements are made from .6mm or .8mm Kanthal - I assume that is too low resistance.
I'm currently struggling with bad eyesight until I get new specs - these focus at arms length - perfect for reading a monitor but hopeless for building coils.

Dj Xy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just buy my Kanthal from Temco, you never know what you might get with that heating element stuff.

Rapture

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I agree when it comes to coils I don't play around or take any risks.

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What do you think? A metre of Kanthal A1 coil 3mm dia made from 0.2mm Kanthal for less than £3 on Fleabay. Do you think it worth messing with. T
What are you intending this for? A - tiny work space - glasso coil head? "0.2mm thickness" is 32 gauge. "3mm diameter"... is that ID or OD?
I can't imagine using 32 gauge in anything but a very small application with a relatively high resistance, or perhaps a quad-coil RDA.
Dj Xy
suggested Temco (which I also use), but judging by your currency reference, I'm guessing you're in the UK. The first (of many places) that pops up on a Google search for Kanthal A1 in the UK is "The Crazy Wire Co".

There are "optimum" wire thicknesses for every atomizer application and resistance. If you use the Steam Engine wire modeling calculator (see my first sig line hyperlink)... using a nice functional wrap range of - 7 minimum to 12 maximum - wraps (which is my personal preference)... enter your desired resistance, your mandrel ID and approximate leg length, along with coil count and fitment method (parallel or series).
Adjust the wire gauge to obtain the 7-12 range. You'll find that a few gauges will work... personally, I go with the thickest wire that meets my criteria. I can provide optimal examples that suit your application... if Steam Engine leaves you a bit flummoxed. ;)
I'm currently struggling with bad eyesight until I get new specs - these focus at arms length - perfect for reading a monitor but hopeless for building coils.
Me too. At 58, I'm a few years behind you, but my eyes are crap at close range. I have a pair of Kruss "Triplet" stereoscopic glasses I "borrowed" from work :rolleyes:... but on the cheap, you can get semi-stereo magnifying specs from FT

Best of it...

Moto

Member For 4 Years
I'm finding it not worth bothering with. By the time I've straightened out the end turns I could have wound a coil from scratch.

VU Sponsors