Become a Patron!

Know your enchancers

Steam Pilgrim

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Doc, setting aside the effectiveness of saline, should vaporising an e-liquid containing saline suspend the particles in the vapour or leave it on the coil?

Vaping is (contributing to) drying out my nose. I could use a saline nasal spray, but the idea of using the vapour for the remedy appeals to me.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Doc, setting aside the effectiveness of saline, should vaporising an e-liquid containing saline suspend the particles in the vapour or leave it on the coil?

Vaping is (contributing to) drying out my nose. I could use a saline nasal spray, but the idea of using the vapour for the remedy appeals to me.
I tried it a couple of years ago. It wasn't kind to my coils - stick to the nasal spray imo!

Buttersworth

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Triethyl citrate is normally used to emulsify essential oils, which are very concentrated, not oil based flavorings. So, in short, you will lose flavor intensity; in fact you always do in emulsification. The amount you would need to emulsify pre-made flavoring would taste terrible. This shit tastes like shampoo!
Thank you good to know

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
wow thanks for this post this has been extremely entertaining and educational the best of both worlds :) almost like bill niye the science guy ;)

StanleySpadowski

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you for the time put into this list! More than I need to wrap my head around at this point but will definitely come back in a month or two.

VegasVape

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm no scientist, but I have diy'ed for a little while. I've found Acetyl Pyrazine quite useful. I have not yet found a reason to mix in Trimethyl in any of my mixes. Horrid stuff. Suffice it to say, I don't consider them similar when it comes to flavor. I would love to hear success stories using that molecule.

Redscaddy22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
great
My husband did a lot of work on this, and I think it is very helpful to all DIYers.

I have been feverishly working on new diy flavors for almost 2 months now. I was once a chef, and I know flavors. I also used to process my own tobacco so i know something of enhancers/additives. When I began studying ejuice about a month before I started vaping, I found myself faced with a whole new set of strange sounding chemicals to learn about. I thought i would share some of my notes on what I have learned so far as regards vaping additives. I hope maybe it will save you fellows some time researching them.

Here we go...
Acetyl Pyrazine- Sold by tpa. Used in cigarettes and cookies to impart a
"toasty" taste. Gives your juice a baked, toasted, or crispy note at 0.5%. At 1%,
it adds the taste of toasted mixed nuts. At 2% it adds a taste similar to Fritos
corn chips.
Caffeine- Sold by fw. The active ingredient in coffee. Does almost nothing
for your juice. According to my brother (who has Ph. D.s. in both pharmacology and
toxicology), you would have to sub-ohm over an ounce of 10% caffeine juice at
about 70w to get the effect of 1 cup of coffee. Pretty much useless. To anyone who
says they get a buzz from vaping caffeine, I'd like to borrow you for a stage
hypnosis act!
Capsicum- Sold by fw. The chemical that makes hot peppers hot; also used as
an analgesic. used in VERY SMALL amounts in your juice, it can cure sore throat. A
little more and you've got yourself an ejuice akin to hot pepper joke gum. More
than that, and you may win a one-way ticket to the emergency room. This stuff can
be dangerous. Keep in mind that the capsicum sold by fw is 375 times the strength
of the hottest pepper known to man.
Ester of Wood Rosin- Sold by fa as bitter wizard, also a main ingredient of
mts vape wizard by fa. Used in Gatorade and some colas to give a bitter note. At
0.5%, masks the flavor of vg and pg, thus only leaving the taste of your flavor
mix. At 1% or higher, gives the pleasant bitter ring of colas, whiskeys, or dark
chocolate.
Ethylguaiacol- Sold by sv and is a main ingredient of dnb drops wg by inw.
Adds a smoky, ashy note to your juice. Great for making cigar, cigarette, and pipe
flavors more realistic. This stuff requires a long steep in order to taste it, at
least 2 weeks.
Ethyl Maltol- Sold by tpa. Besides sugar, this is the other major ingredient
in cotton candy (floss), which gives it its characteristic flavor. It is commonly
used as a sweetener in ejuice. Its physical properties cause it to gunk up coils
slightly.
Gamma Octalactone- Sold by tpa and sv. This is the stuff they put in
fudgesicles and other non-dairy treats to make them taste creamy. At 50ppm, it
will make any juice you make extra creamy; you'd swear there's real cream in it!
WARNINGS: Any more than 50ppm tastes atrocious. Tpa sells it full strength, so
you will need to dilute it to 1% in pg before using; then you can measure it to
0.5% of your mix.
Guaiacol- Sold by tpa, and is a main ingredient of both black fire by fa and
dnb drops wg by inw. This is the chemical that gives smoked meat and fish their
smoky flavor. As you can imagine, it makes anything you mix it with taste smoked,
but not burned. It also adds throat hit. It must be steeped for at least 2 weeks
to reach its full potential.
Isobutavan- Sold by tpa, and is a main ingredient of mts vape wizard by fa,
smooth by tpa, and flavor toner/enhancer by fw. This is the "thickening" agent in
the aforementioned enhancers. It does not actually thicken your juice any, but
alters the mouth feel of the vapor to seem thicker. It also cancels the vapor
thinning effect of some flavorings, thus making your clouds appear denser. Too
much of it makes everything taste like vanilla.
Malic Acid- Sold as sour by tpa. This is the sour note in old fashioned sour
balls candy as well as salt and vinegar crisps. I'm sure you get where this is
going regarding ejuice. It tends to form crystals on coils. WARNINGS: Like any
acid, this stuff eats kanthol, albeit slowly, and when used with nickel coils,
produces nickel compounds classified as class "A" carcinogens (sorry tc fans, and
no, I'm not showing any documentation, as it is simple chemistry: nickel+acid
+air=horrible, dangerous stuff; read a ....ing textbook).
4-Methyl Guaiacol- Sold by tpa and is a main ingredient of black fire by fa.
Added to foods to make them taste as if they have been cooked on a grill or over a
campfire. Gives your juice a wood, charcoal, or coal fire note. Just a touch can
make your toasted marshmallow vape really take you back to camping with the folks.
Methyl Menthyl Acetate- Sold as koolada by tpa and kool effects by fw.
Menthol cool without menthol taste. That simple. Of course, you can make your own
by simply dissolving menthol crystals into pg and cooking it at 180F until it no
longer smells like menthol. It takes a long time, much patience, and careful
heating; this is how I do it, but then, I'm an alchemist.
Piperine- Sold as flash by fa. This is what gives black pepper its spiciness
Can be used to add throat hit or mixed in equal measure with fa pepper black to
add the taste of fresh cracked pepper to your savory mixes.
Sucralose- Sold by tpa. Artificial sweetener that is ubiquitous, you know,
everywhere and in everything; it's "splenda, the artificial sweetener made from
real sugar!" Well, being made from sugar, you can imagine what it does to coils,
not to mention that a dry hit of this will give you more "tar" than the analogues
you're likely trying to avoid.
Syringol- Sold in pure crystal form by tpa (for a limited time only) and is a
main ingredient in both black fire by fa and dnb drops wg by inw. This is the
chemical that gives smoked meat and fish their smoky aroma. It is the main flavor
in all commercial smoke flavorings, and was even added to Gen. Patch action
figures in the 80s to give them the "smell of battle". Mix crystals 13.5% in pg to
make extract. Be careful not to overdo it with this flavor, or your juice will
taste like phenol (that nasty background note in sore throat spray).
Triacetin- Sold as aaa magic mask by fa, and is a main ingredient of mts vape
wizard by fa, smooth by tpa, and flavor toner/enhancer by fw. This stuff is used
in many processed foods and in cigarette filters to smooth out harsh notes. It
does this by temporarily numbing certain taste receptors in your tongue. This is
the reason you can stomach breakfast cereals, microwave meals, and all the added
paper and other trash they put in commercial cigarettes. Likewise, it can make
some ejuices tolerable, maybe even tasty, that without it would be abominable.
This stuff is actually amazing. If you really suck at diy, and your juice tastes
like an abortion, you need this stuff; it can save even some of the worst tasting
mixes. SIDENOTE: Triacetin is also the most amazing coil cleaner! It actually does
for cotton what conditioner does for hair; vg slowly clogs wicks, and pg makes the
fibers brittle, but aaa unclogs wicks and plasticizes fibers, leaving them
flexible once more.
Triethyl Citrate- Sold by tpa. This is an emulsifier used to make essential
oils water soluable. It is used by fa, tpa, inw, fw, cap, hs, and just about every
flavor company everywhere. It is used in most popular flavors. This is the "secret
ingredient" that turns oil soluables into water soluables, if you know how to use
it. think of it as "the flavorer's stone", sought after to turn crap flavors into
gold.
Trimethyl Pyrazine- Sold by tpa. nearly identical to acetyl pyrazine at top
of list.

great post

PreparationHero

I drink and I know things
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
[QUOTE="Karebear, post: 787225, member: 35706",]
If you really suck at diy, and your juice tastes

like an abortion, you need this stuff

[/QUOTE]
Abortion flavored ejuice.. I'm on it!

Also thank you for this, it's extremely helpful!

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Flavourart's AAA Magic Mask. Reduce the acid perception without modifying the pH. pH is one of the key factors involved in food stability. In order to reduce the pH, a small amount of organic acid must be added to the food preparation (i.e. citric, malic, tartaric acid). In most cases the addition of food acid is beneficial both for microbiological stability and taste ( just think to an lemon or cola drink, they must be acid to be good ). However, some other foods might require food acid for microbiological safety BUT the acid taste does not complement well ( a light cheese, a sauce as example ). In this cases, the use of Magic Mask can be of help. Magic Mask does not buffer the pH, nor alter it. Magic Mask acts at the tongue receptors level, temporarily reducing the acid perception, thus improving the overall mouth feel. Its action last 5-8 seconds and involve only the acid receptors. Recommended dosage is 1 up to 3 grams for Kg food. When comparing products with and without Magic Mask, the food with Magic Mask must be tasted as second.

Lotus Insane

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
*Drops to knees in absolute joy* Thank you so much for posting this info. It has saved me time from having to write all my own notes on all of these. I couldn't thank you both enough @Karebear and @Ol'DocPorter .

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
of list.

I know that they are very close (besides the fact that one costs 3 times as much as the other) but still what's the difference? Why would I choose one over the other?

Artdragon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My husband did a lot of work on this, and I think it is very helpful to all DIYers.

I have been feverishly working on new diy flavors for almost 2 months now. I was once a chef, and I know flavors. I also used to process my own tobacco so i know something of enhancers/additives. When I began studying ejuice about a month before I started vaping, I found myself faced with a whole new set of strange sounding chemicals to learn about. I thought i would share some of my notes on what I have learned so far as regards vaping additives. I hope maybe it will save you fellows some time researching them.

Here we go...
"toasty" taste. Gives your juice a baked, toasted, or crispy note at 0.5%. At 1%,
it adds the taste of toasted mixed nuts. At 2% it adds a taste similar to Fritos
corn chips.
for your juice. According to my brother (who has Ph. D.s. in both pharmacology and
about 70w to get the effect of 1 cup of coffee. Pretty much useless. To anyone who
hypnosis act!
an analgesic. used in VERY SMALL amounts in your juice, it can cure sore throat. A
than that, and you may win a one-way ticket to the emergency room. This stuff can
be dangerous. Keep in mind that the capsicum sold by fw is 375 times the strength
mts vape wizard by fa. Used in Gatorade and some colas to give a bitter note. At
mix. At 1% or higher, gives the pleasant bitter ring of colas, whiskeys, or dark
chocolate.
Adds a smoky, ashy note to your juice. Great for making cigar, cigarette, and pipe
flavors more realistic. This stuff requires a long steep in order to taste it, at
least 2 weeks.
in cotton candy (floss), which gives it its characteristic flavor. It is commonly
used as a sweetener in ejuice. Its physical properties cause it to gunk up coils
slightly.
will make any juice you make extra creamy; you'd swear there's real cream in it!
0.5% of your mix.
smoky flavor. As you can imagine, it makes anything you mix it with taste smoked,
but not burned. It also adds throat hit. It must be steeped for at least 2 weeks
smooth by tpa, and flavor toner/enhancer by fw. This is the "thickening" agent in
produces nickel compounds classified as class "A" carcinogens (sorry tc fans, and
Added to foods to make them taste as if they have been cooked on a grill or over a
campfire. Gives your juice a wood, charcoal, or coal fire note. Just a touch can
make your toasted marshmallow vape really take you back to camping with the folks.
Menthol cool without menthol taste. That simple. Of course, you can make your own
by simply dissolving menthol crystals into pg and cooking it at 180F until it no
real sugar!" Well, being made from sugar, you can imagine what it does to coils,
not to mention that a dry hit of this will give you more "tar" than the analogues
chemical that gives smoked meat and fish their smoky aroma. It is the main flavor
figures in the 80s to give them the "smell of battle". Mix crystals 13.5% in pg to
wizard by fa, smooth by tpa, and flavor toner/enhancer by fw. This stuff is used
does this by temporarily numbing certain taste receptors in your tongue. This is
the reason you can stomach breakfast cereals, microwave meals, and all the added
This stuff is actually amazing. If you really suck at diy, and your juice tastes
like an abortion, you need this stuff; it can save even some of the worst tasting
mixes. SIDENOTE: Triacetin is also the most amazing coil cleaner! It actually does
for cotton what conditioner does for hair; vg slowly clogs wicks, and pg makes the
flexible once more.
oils water soluable. It is used by fa, tpa, inw, fw, cap, hs, and just about every
flavor company everywhere. It is used in most popular flavors. This is the "secret
ingredient" that turns oil soluables into water soluables, if you know how to use
it. think of it as "the flavorer's stone", sought after to turn crap flavors into
gold.
of list.

This is awesome! Thank you so much for your hard work in this! Definitely will help me make some educated decisions on my future flavor orders!

Comfygirl

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
A number of additives not yet covered, quoted with permission from a writeup by Charles Yates of The Vapers' Table. This includes a number of concoctions sold by flavouring companies whose ingredients are unknown.

Tetramethylpyrazine
Adds Notes of- Nutty, Musty, Earthy, Cocoa, Raw Coffee, Potato, Peanuts
Application- Good for Tobacco use at 1% starting
http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/p-6821-tetramethylpyrazine-10-pg.aspx

M Type Tobacco Premium – Tabanon/Tabanone
Tabanone is an important tobacco note molecule. From Turkish Tobacco Leaves
Adds Notes of- Tobacco, Earthy, Caramel
Application- Good for Tobacco. Great to mix with other tobacco flavors too like Tobacco Absolute
Percentage- Start at 1 drop per 10-15ml. No more than 2% for long steep
http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/p-7322-m-type-premium-flavor.aspx

Linalool – A Terpene alcohol chemical.
It is found in plants like Coriander, Bay laurel and Cinnamon.
Adds Notes of- Herbal, Citrus (lemon-orange mainly) Floral (All important for Tobacco)
Application- Tobacco
Percentage- Start at 1%
https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/p-6148-linalool.aspx

Hickory Smoke Flavor
Adds a touch of that smoke to tobacco juices-
Adds Notes of- Smoke, Campfire
Application- Tobacco flavors such as flu cured and cowboy blends. Good for harsher needs at higher %
Percentage- Can be strong so start at 0.5%
http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/p-7164-hickory-smoke-flavor.aspx?keyword=hickory+smoke

FA MTS Vape Wizard
MTS stands for Mellow, Thick and Smooth. Flavor stabilizer
MTS vape wizard contributes toward softening any acidic/sour perception, it assists in making vapour thicker, and it delivers both body and depth to any e-liquid
Adds Notes of- Not a distinct flavor per se. More about what it provides
Application- Tobacco a must try but can be used for most e liquids at low %
Percentage- 0.5 – 2%
https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=mts

Damascenone-Beta
Compound component of essential oils. Found in Wines
Adds Notes of- A very powerful fruity floral note. Complex odor of rose, plum, blackcurrant, wine and tobacco
Application- Tobacco mainly
Percentage- Start at 0.2%-0.5% Month long steep is best
https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/p-7278-damascone-beta.aspx

Smooth Flavour PG Concentrate (TFA)
This will round out any harsh edges and provide a thick, satisfying mouth feel. It will soften the high notes of your blend while boosting your background notes.
Adds Notes of- Fruity
Application- All Flavors
Percentage- Start at 2% depending on other additives- Experiment
https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/nicotine-base-flavorings/flavorings/tfa-smooth.html

Ethyl Vanillin
Adds Notes of- Sweetener, Vanilla
Application- All Flavors
Percentage- 0.5 – 2% on average
http://wizardlabs.us/index.php?route=product/product&path=79&product_id=342
http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/p-7258-vanillin-crystals-10-pg.aspx

Brown Sugar TFA
This is a water soluble version that I use in many mixes. Also use marshmallow
Adds Notes of- Sweet
Application- All flavors
Percentage- Start at 3% but subjective. Depends on other ingredients
http://wizardlabs.us/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=425&search=brown+sugar

Saline*
Saline can be used for many e liquid mixes. This can be the secret missing element to mixes.
NaCl 0.09% from a pharmacy. NOT table salt

Concentrated Lemon Juice
Adds an extra depth and brightens Fruit flavors
Adds Notes of- Fruit, zing, tangy
Application- Fruits and Tobacco
Percentage- Start at 1 to 2 drops per 5 ml
Make from freshly squeezed lemons or buy organic from the supermarket

Apple Cider Vinegar or Variations of Vinegar
Increase of acidity and can make liquids pop
Adds Notes of- Fruity, tangy, sour, vinegar of course
Application- Really enhances a tobacco mix. Also try for fruits at 0.5%
Percentage- 1-2 drops/10ml
Make your own or buy organic

Piperonal (AKA Heliotropin)
Adds Floral Notes and described as similar to Vanilla and Cherry

3-methylcyclopentane-1, 2-Dione (AKA Cyclopentenolone)
Commonly used as a flavor enhancer in both cigarettes and cigars.
* Efficacy of saline questioned. See posts 32-...

Addition:

Menthyl Methyl Lactate (AKA Koolada)
Related to or described as menthyl methyl acetate by @Ol'DocPorter in @Karebear's inaugural post, this is generally identified as the active ingredient in Koolada.

So my "toasted marshmallow" is really just regular marshmallow with 4-Methyl Guaiacol added?

Excuse me,
Ive read it all,
But it seem there isn't the one who tell what the different between sorbitol and sucralose as sweetener, which one better?
Thanks for answet.

QuestForVapology

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Great notes guys. There's been a few interesting enhancers coming from Nude Nicotine:

Ascorbic Acid
Citric Acid
Erythritol Solution
Monk Fruit Extract Solutions
Stevia Solutions
Tartaric Acid Solutions

It'd be awesome if someone can provide some notes on each (e.g their purpose, recommended starting percentages, when to use one over the other, etc.).

CrazyCatLady

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Great notes guys. There's been a few interesting enhancers coming from Nude Nicotine:

Ascorbic Acid
Citric Acid
Erythritol Solution
Monk Fruit Extract Solutions
Stevia Solutions
Tartaric Acid Solutions

It'd be awesome if someone can provide some notes on each (e.g their purpose, recommended starting percentages, when to use one over the other, etc.).

Since I'm new to diy, I hadn't heard of some of them. So I checked the Nude Nic website to see what info they had for each of those. They had lots of great info about each one, including percentage recommendations and how they effect eliquid.
https://www.nudenicotine.com/products/stock-solutions/

I haven't tried them, but here's a basic breakdown.
Sweeteners:
Erythriotol solution, Stevia solution, & Monk Fruit Extract solution
Tart/Sour:
Ascorbic acid, Citric Acid, and Tartaric Acid

I will have to try the sweeteners, they are an alternative to sucralose without gunking coils (according to nude nic website). Also, I don't like the aftertaste of sucralose. I've considered picking up stevia. I've read that it can be used in place of sucralose, but it can add a flavor to eliquid in higher concentrations. But like everything else in diy, taste is subjective.

Hope this helps. I'll post more about the differences between the sweeteners after I get them in and try them. As far as sour/tart, I use FA sour wizard, and I'm happy with the results. So no need to experiment with the others.

Your-Daddy-Vapes-Too

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

can you give a little more info on this or maybe the proper coils to use. cause I don't like the sounds of it, i know my melo 300 is using kanthol coils and my big baby tank has nickel and even my rda has kanthol and I just finished 10 ml batch of sour apple using tfa sour, plus i just made 15 ml of it today.

Here we go...
corn chips.
hypnosis act!
chocolate.
least 2 weeks.
slightly.
0.5% of your mix.
flexible once more.
gold.
of list.

THANK YOU! I have searched google over and over the last few days looking for this exact list. I've been searching for more than just the basic info on the most used or common enhancers. Thank you for taking the time to create and post this for us newbies!

Here we go...
corn chips.
hypnosis act!
chocolate.
least 2 weeks.
slightly.
0.5% of your mix.
flexible once more.
gold.
of list.

Thanks, great job! Very useful

Karebear

I’m thinking of trying to make a super sour flavour enhancer

I was thinking about using ingredients like:

fumaric acid

L-ascorbic acid

vitamin c

And of corse

citric acid and malic acid

now your notes on malic acid was so helpful...

————————————————————————————————————

I have considered all the ph levels and the only 1 with a lower score is vitamin c
So I was just thinking use very sparingly and I should be alright

but b4 I get to mixing I wanted to reach out to people who have a bit of knowledge
In this area of expertise to see if there is anything else I need to consider
When trying to perfect a recipe for my super sour enhancer

thanks to Karebear and any1 else who has taken the time to read this
Any help, notes, guidance of any kind is most welcome

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Karebear

I’m thinking of trying to make a super sour flavour enhancer

I was thinking about using ingredients like:

fumaric acid

L-ascorbic acid

vitamin c

And of corse

citric acid and malic acid

now your notes on malic acid was so helpful...

I have considered all the ph levels and the only 1 with a lower score is vitamin c
So I was just thinking use very sparingly and I should be alright

but b4 I get to mixing I wanted to reach out to people who have a bit of knowledge
In this area of expertise to see if there is anything else I need to consider
When trying to perfect a recipe for my super sour enhancer

thanks to Karebear and any1 else who has taken the time to read this
Any help, notes, guidance of any kind is most welcome

L-ascorbic and Vitamin C are the same thing, Vitamin C is the common name. Really the only difference between the fumaric, malic, and citric is how sour they are. In foods, Fumaric produces a longer strong sour because it doesn't dissolve fast, Malic is a less sour but lingers, Citric is weakest and quick dissolving so used in larger quantities for the initial sour hit. All three are part of the citric acid cycle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citric_acid_cycle) with Fumaric reacting to create Malic which reacts to create Citric which is the start/end of the looping cycle.

In an eliquid, there might not be any taste difference besides sour so just using (for example) 20% of Fomaric might have the same taste as 3% Fomaric + 5% Malic + 7% Citric + 5% l-ascorbic. But you'd have to test because tastes differ, one person might not be able to tell a difference while another could pick up on hints of stuff.

Last edited:

Here we go...
corn chips.
hypnosis act!
chocolate.
least 2 weeks.
slightly.
0.5% of your mix.
flexible once more.
gold.
of list.
Thanks so much ?

VU Sponsors