Become a Patron!

knowing what you know now..

Randy Mullins

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey all, I've decided to move up from y nautilius and dna 30 to trying out a driper setup. I took a pull off a hades at my local shop and was very impressed by the vape especialy with zero nicotine(my goal) Whats your advice on a nice mech mod less than 100 bones that will get me going.
Right now I really like what I've seen from the plume veil driper and 454. I'm open to any advice.

Basically knowing what you know now (experienced vapors) what mod would buy based on function and performance.
thanks in advance and thanks for this forum for helping me get off the ciggs. you guys rock

rjmara

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I started my mech journey with a brass Panzer,and a Tobh atty both clones,to learn coil building,battery safety,and all things related.The deck is easy to build on,and hits very nicely,even without opening the air holes bigger.The panzer is also nice,hefty feel and weight to it,reverse thread locking ring,floating 510 pin,can use 18650,18350,18500 batteries.
Right now I have a .5 ohm dual micro coils and organic cotton setup in and the vapor is great and a little warm,but won't scorch your lips if you chain vape. With that said I picked up a Stingray X clone,and a Plume veil clone at Vapemania this weekend,and I love both.The Plume has a lot of air control features on it, dual positive mounts,very easy to build on.I have a twisted 28g dual micro coils in it at .47 ohms and vapor and flavor are great on this setup as well.I think my next mod will be a Manhattan,I like the heft of it and it's supposed to hit like a truck!

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I can't recommend the Infinite Limited Edition Copper Cartel enough. They can be found for cheap on the ebay, about 45 bucks in the u.s., and they are not modular, so you get three tubes, thus theoretically less voltage drop. I bought two, clones mind you, one for knocking around at work and a home one. Haven't touched my Brass Stingray since or my Akuma more than a couple times.

They are machined incredibly well, and are beastly gorgeous mods. They are heavy, though, but I grew accustomed to it fast, my others feel like toys. The switch is recessed with no lock ring, which I like, but keep that in mind. I rarely if ever pocket my mods so it is fine with me, but auto firing could be an issue if pocketing is your style. I just love not constantly locking my damn mod. The switch was my first with a spring yet it's the smoothest throw of all that I've had. I wish I hadn't gone through two stingrays prior to the Cartel. Very high quality clones.

For a dripper, I have an igo w and I rarely use it, so others can chime in on that. I'm actually looking into a new one myself as well.

That's my .02 cents, and get the authentic Cartel upgrade spring for 3.99 if you do get one, it is very worthwhile. Good luck. Never tried a DNA30 device, I just know that mechs made me ignore my vv/vw mods immediately.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
And as @rjmara said, educate yourself on batts and chargers and don't skimp there. They, along with proper knowledge are your safety. I have VTC5's which I don't come remotely close to pushing at all, but I like that. I don't want to be pushing my batteries at all.

rjmara

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
And as @rjmara said, educate yourself on batts and chargers and don't skimp there. They, along with proper knowledge are your safety. I have VTC5's which I don't come remotely close to pushing at all, but I like that. I don't want to be pushing my batteries at all.
I should have mentioned that as well,I use Sony vtc4 and vtc5 batteries in my mods with no problems.And when you start building your coils,use an ohm meter or multimeter to check your ohms,this is no area to be guessing your work.There are plenty of YouTube vids showing coil builds with different wraps and wire sizes,with the ohm levels you can expect,but still check behind yourself.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yup... I say check, double check once assembled, triple check once filled, and fire on a regulated device first. Might be excessive, but I like my face. I've also got a beard that's been going over two years, and what a shame it would be to get vented on, lol.

And a multimeter is a great tool, I do still find it difficult to read ohms with the probes, though... I have shaky hands. A good regulated device or 510 ohm meter eliminates that, though, and with practice I'm getting better with my multimeter. Definitely get one, though, for battery voltage at least. I got a digital GE model from walmart for under 18 bucks, and it does all I can ask for, and more.

rjmara

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I know exactly what you're talking about with the multimeter,I used it first before I got an ohm meter,definitely hard to get the probes in the right places while holding the rda!On the plus side with the ohm reader you have good base to build on and free up your hands.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Currently, as far as my mecchys go, I spend the most time on my brass Cartel clone, and my highly modded Chi You. I'm a bit of an oddity in that I do not particularly fancy the Nemesis clone that much. I also revisit my Caravela on occasion. The Cartel is one of the best I've used, but I will confess that in 18650 mode, it is quite weighty. All of my tubular mechs have magnet upgrades, as well as silver contacts....strongly consider these upgrades if your choice does not have them already. As for drippers....I adore my Zenith clones.

rjmara

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm definitely going to get the magnets for my panzer mod,it has a spring in it now,and after moderate use I have to stretch it back out a little.I think I need a longer upper contact screw or maybe try a button top battery so I can screw it in further,I have to back it out quite a bit now to eliminate battery rattle.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
That is an issue with SO many mods...especially clones! On my Carvela half-mod, I had to file down the bottom cap as the 18650 tube was "too long"...and even after that, the only batts that really FIT, are Sonys.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
For a dripper, I have an igo w and I rarely use it, so others can chime in on that. I'm actually looking into a new one myself as well.
I had a few IGO-W and Omega clones...great drippers, but cant hold a candle IMHO to the Zenith clone. Why? Deep juice tray, wire holes high off the deck, screws that don't cut the wires....posts that are solidly attached to the deck, and best of all, adjustable airflow! Just cracking good kit those.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I had a few IGO-W and Omega clones...great drippers, but cant hold a candle IMHO to the Zenith clone. Why? Deep juice tray, wire holes high off the deck, screws that don't cut the wires....posts that are solidly attached to the deck, and best of all, adjustable airflow! Just cracking good kit those.
I'm gonna keep researching rda's. I want flavor over clouds. The igo w just doesn't cut it, not big enough of a juice well.

Do you have magnets in your Cartel, and if so, from where? I can't see a way to convert it if I found the size. I'm super happy with the authentic upgrade spring, but I like me some magnets.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm gonna keep researching rda's. I want flavor over clouds. The igo w just doesn't cut it, not big enough of a juice well.

Do you have magnets in your Cartel, and if so, from where? I can't see a way to convert it if I found the size. I'm super happy with the authentic upgrade spring, but I like me some magnets.
So far I find no fault with the upgrade spring. My thoughts are, if there is minimal voltage drop, and the mod does not wobble when placed on end...no need to change anything.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So far I find no fault with the upgrade spring. My thoughts are, if there is minimal voltage drop, and the mod does not wobble when placed on end...no need to change anything.
My thoughts exactly, just was trying to figure out how magnets could even work. The upgrade spring is cheap, and makes a great clone that much better. I'm much less concerned about auto firing with it, as opposed to the infinite stock one. Had to check, thanks!

Craig Mad Bricky

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Not much I haven't researched to death before getting. I doubt I'll ever switch from my Maraxus and I use A SAFETY FUSE even with my so called safe battery technology. I wish though I had checked to see that my Nimbus had lots of extra o-rings. Can't have enough if you don't like juice all over your stuff. They wear out fast it seems.

Randy Mullins

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Can someone post a link that has info about safety with mech mods before I dive in. I just want to make sure I've got my basis covered in that regard. I've been looking at the panzer and stingray x . I really like the looks of those. I'll have to check into the others mentioned.
I'd rather have quality and function over looks to be honest
thanks community

Breeezy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I would definitely go clone for your first one dealing with non regulated devices. I mean personally id rather fry a 20-50 dollar clone haha. Not saying you will but there's always the possibility. Also don't cheap out on the batteries. Pay for the sony batteries. Vapingwalrus is a great site in my opinion. Just got a plume veil clone from them. 2 day shipping from Cali to mass with tracking. They also sell a stingray x clone. Hope you find a good mod for you.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I completely agree with Breezy. Quality batteries are paramount. All mods should have ventilation for the batteries. As well as good conducting contact. When firing a freshly installed attt, pay CLOSE attention to the temp of the mod. If you notice a sharp increase in temperature, loosen the threads in order to break the circuit. This is most likely a short originating in the atty, not the mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simartspoako

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Can someone post a link that has info about safety with mech mods before I dive in. I just want to make sure I've got my basis covered in that regard. I've been looking at the panzer and stingray x . I really like the looks of those. I'll have to check into the others mentioned.
I'd rather have quality and function over looks to be honest
thanks community

Here's a couple links that are related with Battery Safety.

Controlled Battery Explosion Video Link - Quality vaping requires quality batteries. :) However, regardless if its made from China or US, Cheap or Expensive-- Batteries are little bombs. The video link shows what happen to the battery before exploding. So we always do battery checks for leaks, and physical damage.

Dangers with 18650 Video - This video is not really vape related and the video owner modification to his batteries not required to do. But this important, I never knew that underneath the plastic is already negative metal surface

Vaping & Batteries: Things You Should Know Video - This is little bit long video and discuss about issues with the current vaping batteries in the current market. The information discussed here is also new to me.

Mechanical Mod and Battery Safety - Here's a video that is mod mech specific. Its touches the basics of Mech Mod, Battery Safety and Ohm's Law.

Jgoss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I would suggest The Beacon from beyond vape. Solid telescopic mod that isn't a clone, and still won't break the bank. I would probably pair this with a magma clone dripper (if you want flavor) or a mutation X (if you want clouds), or a plume veil clone (if you want both). Not that I don't like clone mods, but I feel the 65 dollar beacon is a great buy. Get you a couple good batteries, and you would be good to go.

VU Sponsors