Become a Patron!

Laptop batteries in parallel

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Lol just because you're a retard who can't answer someones questions with logic you have to result in using profanity. You're clearly a sheep, go follow your abc's.
Someone is indeed special ;)
OK kitten if you are intent of being fucking stupid, and argue safety demanding education that is all the hell over this board the web and the basic counter jockey at a local vape shop but are so fucking thick that I owe you more than a simple answer in which I know better, just go on and fuck right off and take my advice and vape stupid. Use those batteries, build a dead short coil.

But since you are intent on self harm, just get it over with in a less glorious fashion and remember when you cut your wrists it is down the road not across the tracks.

lacster

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lmao! okay so then someone tell me where theoretically what I've said is incorrect?
Lighting gasoline is idiocracy at it's finest, you don't need scientific evidence to show that will light up and kill you and even if someone did ask for scientific evidence on whether that would erupt violently, it could be provided, the combustion reaction equation is readily available and even middle schoolers would understand it.

If my question was such a "noob" question then the multi million dollar companies that went into researching and mass producing these batteries for vaping are the real noobs. If your 100 years of wisdom is "no don't use these" then I pity you.

Most of the responses I've seen on this forum show clear evidence that the majority of the "pro" vapers seen on this forum have no education. Watch a couple of videos, read a few articles, do what thousands of people have proven to be safe already and implement it. Once that's done there's no deviating from that pattern. It's people like these that keep our society in static equilibrium with no development. Like The Cromwell said these batteries were used before and only once RESEARCH AND TESTING commenced in a "better" battery that ICR's became outdated for vaping because they were not the best batteries for the job but still proved to work. If they were used before why not now? Obviously I made a mistake in thinking I could vape with 0.3 Ohms but a higher resistance coil would be fine with the proper safety precautions.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
The issue its not so much that ICR chemistry batteries, for high amp battery packs (batteries wired into a pack in series, parallel, or para-series) can work for power tools, "Laptop", and other applications, you are not taking into account, most battery packs that use ICR have controller boards that monitor the battery output and/or charging currents.

Here's a Blog from ECF Member Baditude on some of these facts, "A lot of Imformation In this single blog post"
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...ics-for-mods-the-ultimate-battery-guide.4848/

Also take into consideration the reactive nature of the various chemistries we use

ICR = React violently, litterally they are ticking sticks of dynamite waiting to go boom, and when they thermal runaway, which is not hard to achieve with them, they go, they will go and take body parts or slice shrapnel right at you. They are not a safe chemistry to be using anywhere near your face and mouth, its that plain damned simple. Don't grab this concept, I got a baseball right next to me to club ya on the forehead once to get your attention.

IMR = The safest chemistry we suggest as the venting and thermal runaway reactions starts as mainly hissing gas with a bit of bubbling of their internal out of the vents in the positive post, "Potentially" in a thermal runaway they can roman candle on you.

INR = Which most of the newer batteries we suggest use, is far safer than an ICR in its reactions, they bubble and hiss like an IMR, but being a hybrid chemistry, they go beyond venting mode into thermal runaway they jet like a roman candle or sparkler tube, but it takes as much to get them to this point as it is to get an IMR battery to go thermal, but in a shorter time than an IMR.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Lmao! okay so then someone tell me where theoretically what I've said is incorrect?
Lighting gasoline is idiocracy at it's finest, you don't need scientific evidence to show that will light up and kill you and even if someone did ask for scientific evidence on whether that would erupt violently, it could be provided, the combustion reaction equation is readily available and even middle schoolers would understand it.

If my question was such a "noob" question then the multi million dollar companies that went into researching and mass producing these batteries for vaping are the real noobs. If your 100 years of wisdom is "no don't use these" then I pity you.

Most of the responses I've seen on this forum show clear evidence that the majority of the "pro" vapers seen on this forum have no education. Watch a couple of videos, read a few articles, do what thousands of people have proven to be safe already and implement it. Once that's done there's no deviating from that pattern. It's people like these that keep our society in static equilibrium with no development. Like The Cromwell said these batteries were used before and only once RESEARCH AND TESTING commenced in a "better" battery that ICR's became outdated for vaping because they were not the best batteries for the job but still proved to work. If they were used before why not now? Obviously I made a mistake in thinking I could vape with 0.3 Ohms but a higher resistance coil would be fine with the proper safety precautions.
Your thinking is flawed and ignorant.
What your mod lacks is the voltage and amp regulations that are in the battery pack and computer. Do not hide behind the companies that make those batteries doing R&D for safety when you are using them outside of those applications.
You are young enough to not remember the batteries in said laptops were burning down people's houses.

But if you want to play around and insist on self harm doing risky shit on an unknown variable ie. the taxation and internal damage on said batteries you go on right ahead and do it.
But you want to discount the advice of the sages, the testers (ie. mooch) and call them uneducated. That is your right, you have been warned and advised and educated we are not being the thick fuck special (ie. football helmet wearing window licking mouth breather) special snowflake.

Go right on ahead and vape retarded. Video it, so we can laugh at your stupidity.
And when you look like
upload_2017-2-5_15-7-37.jpeg

We will just call you assface.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
200_s.gif

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I left it up for a few minutes, but this picture is considered gore and not allowed by admin and was removed.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I left it up for a few minutes, but this picture is considered gore and not allowed by admin and was removed.
I think we need to honestly have a sticky with all these images with a tag line *view these first before posting*

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
f my question was such a "noob" question then the multi million dollar companies that went into researching and mass producing these batteries for vaping are the real noobs. If your 100 years of wisdom is "no don't use these" then I pity you.

None of the actual manufacturers of these batteries developed them for vaping :deadhorse:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hey guys,
I have a question that's been floating in my mind for a while and what better place to ask than here :)

So my laptop just got bust and it would have been really unfeasible to repair it as opposed to buying a new one.
I decided to take the cells out of the batteries, the batteries were still in perfect condition when I was using the laptop (almost no battery wear). The cells I got are 8 x Samsung ICR18650-22B so they have a capacity of 2200mAh, 3.7V nominal voltage and and a max discharge current of 4.4A (not continous, I couldn't find that)

While my laptop broke I was in the progress of building my own vape. So I thought I could use these cells but knowing the dangers of exploding cells I decided on doing some research, some people have used laptop cells to vape without blowing themselves up but I saw that the majority of people discouraged the use of them mainly giving the reason of the very low discharge current.

So my question is would it be safe to connect say 4 of these cells in parallel with a coil of resistance 0.3Ohms so you draw 12.3A (3.075A from each cell) which is 70% of the max discharge current?

I have proper cells that I ordered for my vape as well as other components that I needed, So this is really just something I thought would work and don't see why most people discourage vaping with laptop cells? If I do test this out myself (if you guys say it would be safe) I will use a MOSFET and fuse just to make sure that I don't draw more than say 15A.

This may be in the wrong section, Please move (if possible) if it is xD

Hey, you are right. This forum is full of retards and ignorant asses who don't know shit :giggle:

I suggest you join this forum and repeatedly post this same question over and over again ------> E-Cigarette Forum

lacster

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@IMFire3605 that was quite an interesting read.

@BigNasty I'm done replying to you, you just make me laugh lol

@JuicyLucy Even if those batteries weren't developed for vaping they were still used. Every single one of the ICR batteries never exploded while vaping, a tiny fraction of them did. Surely the ones that did explode were flawed in either their design or abuse by the user.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@JuicyLucy Even if those batteries weren't developed for vaping they were still used. Every single one of the ICR batteries never exploded while vaping, a tiny fraction of them did. Surely the ones that did explode were flawed in either their design or abuse by the user.

Like fucking idiots using recycled battery's from Laptops, vacume cleaners, etc..

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@IMFire3605 that was quite an interesting read.

@BigNasty I'm done replying to you, you just make me laugh lol

Was your birth certificate an apology letter written to your parents by a condom factory?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The shear idiocracy of trying to justify recycling Laptop "ICR" batteries for Vaping defies all ya know. Only time I could see any justification for this would be if one had zero access to batteries, but when you can get good authentic Sony, Samsung and LG "IMR's" for under $5 this defies all fucking logic and common sense.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think you are intent on doing this, so all I can really advise you is why these batteries are not a good idea, even used in parallel.

First off, they have a very, very low CDR. This is unacceptable for a battery for vaping, if you was using some good, 20A CDR cells in the setup you speak of, you will not be stressing the batteries at all, while the laptop batteries are running at 70% of their CDR as you mentioned.

Secondly, ICR's are not a good chemistry to use for vaping, as when they vent, they are more likely to do it with a big bang, and taking half your face off in the process, than a 'safe' chemistry battery, like a IMR or INR cell.

Thirdly, these are from an old broken laptop. The laptop was 2 years old at least, after 2 years I would of replaced my vaping batteries, not thinking of starting to use them! As a battery deteriorates over its life, its CDR also falls! So you may well be pushing the batteries past their CDR anyway, making it even more likely you will go boom.

VU Sponsors