Become a Patron!

Laptop keeps auto connecting to iphone hotspot!!!arrgghh

czombie

Member For 1 Year
Guys can yall help..??

For the life of me and I can't stop my hotspot from auto connecting to my laptop. I disconnect and set it to manually connect, hell I even chose the "forget" this network option and the bastard somehow still connects. None of the settings are sticking. Only thing that works is shuttng the damn laptop off. it's pissing me off!!!

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Guys can yall help..??

For the life of me and I can't stop my hotspot from auto connecting to my laptop. I disconnect and set it to manually connect, hell I even chose the "forget" this network option and the bastard somehow still connects. None of the settings are sticking. Only thing that works is shuttng the damn laptop off. it's pissing me off!!!

Can you turn off your phone's hotspot, so the laptop doesn't see it? With mine, you have to actually turn on the hotspot, to be able to use the 4G to connect to the internet with some other device. If you can't find a setting to do that, then maybe turn off "mobile data" on the phone, which will force it to use your home's wi-fi to connect -- when you go out, turn mobile data back on, since you won't be around for the laptop to find the hotspot signal.

Andria

czombie

Member For 1 Year
yeah I can turn off hotspot on my phone, but that won't resolve my issue as I needed the hotspot on for another device.

czombie

Member For 1 Year
I guess I'll just disable the stupid wireless adapter all together, which I shouldn't have to do. makes no sense why my selections won't stck.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Is your Laptop a MAC or PC? You should be able to stop it from connecting to an available Network in the Wireless Adapter settings.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I guess I'll just disable the stupid wireless adapter all together, which I shouldn't have to do. makes no sense why my selections won't stck.

Is your laptop connected via ethernet (cable) to your router? You might need to update the driver for the router; I had to do that recently to get the hard-wired connection to work at all. If that connction is working properly, then you're right, it should never default back to wi-fi at all.

Andria

czombie

Member For 1 Year

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
already tried numerous times. step 5 from livewire for windows 7 isn't an option. that is why I had to disable the adapter all together.

What OS are you running? There is a solution to this issue.

czombie

Member For 1 Year
in the adapters setting when i click on the iphone connection and select properties, i only have network and sharing tabs. No authentication tab. I can right click and disconnect, then 5 secs later it auto connects again. I can un select the auto connect box and it automatically slects that box when I close out. None of my selections are holding

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
https://itss.d.umn.edu/services/network-wireless/wireless-access/forget-wireless-network#W7

00a8e9fe-227e-4ae8-9826-5a7372010b14.png

To me it sonds like you are using the connection properties and not Windows Wireless Networks to remove the connection.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you remove the Network which is your Smart Phone Wireless Network you are done.

czombie

Member For 1 Year
If you remove the Network which is your Smart Phone Wireless Network you are done.
no...already stated in my OP that removing/forgetting the connections isn't working.

I'm no longer worried about it. I will just disable/enable the adapter as needed.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
no...already stated in my OP that removing/forgetting the connections isn't working.
I'm no longer worried about it. I will just disable/enable the adapter as needed.

in the adapters setting when i click on the iphone connection and select properties, i only have network and sharing tabs.

You are not removing it from Windows.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
There is NO Driver for a router. There is a driver for the Ethernet Card though.

If WiFi is set connect automatically it will always connect even with a wired connection.

Here is one site that explains how to disable.

https://www.lifewire.com/disable-automatic-wireless-connections-153376

That was what I meant, but mistyped -- the driver for the ethernet card. I discovered the problem when I had my HD crash, and since I got the new HD and had it installed at the same place I originally bougght the laptop, they were able to re-install windows for me without any additional charge, using my old reg number -- but they installed win10 rather than the win8.1 it came with, and that caused a big problem with the driver for the ethernet card.

I'm glad if you can help him with an iphone; never had one, never want one, don't know the first thing about them -- android phones do require authentication for using them as hotspots.

Andria

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
since I got the new HD and had it installed at the same place I originally bougght the laptop,

They did not update the drivers which was an incomplete job. Updating all drivers is part of reinstalling an OS.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
They did not update the drivers which was an incomplete job. Updating all drivers is part of reinstalling an OS.

I'm not sure they realized that an updated driver would be needed, since the OS was a brand new copy of Windows. Plus, they were trying to do it fast, since I'm sure it was clear that I was having a hissy fit without my PC. Considering how little the whole ordeal cost me, I wasn't displeased... except with the original hard drive!

Andria

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
'm not sure they realized that an updated driver would be needed, since the OS was a brand new copy of Windows.

Every time you do a clean install almost all drivers require being updated and since they probably used a multi-user license it will only have Default MS drivers and none that are actually meant for you particular machine.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Every time you do a clean install almost all drivers require being updated and since they probably used a multi-user license it will only have Default MS drivers and none that are actually meant for you particular machine.

No, they used the license I had with the windows 8.1 that was installed on the laptop when I first bought it, which is why I didn't have to pay for a whole new windows. I really didn't have to do much updating, once I got the new HD installed, but that one was a huge bear -- I even went and bought a new ethernet cable, I thought my very old one was malfunctioning... but it was just the driver.

Andria

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
No, they used the license I had with the windows 8.1

Yes, they used the license number not an OEM Disc since they do not supply reinstall discs with PC's anymore. I doubt you actually made them so they used the Multi-License discs like I use for reinstalling an Operating System. You know I do know a little about this since I do it for a living.

VU Sponsors