Become a Patron!

Lavabox DNA200 Help

Guess12

Member For 4 Years
Hello!
I've been vaping and building for a couple years now and I finally picked up my first DNA200 device but have had nothing but problems with my Lavabox. I've uploaded the correct csv files in escribe for the wires I was using, along with selecting the correct profile when using said materials but the problem exists no matter what I do!
I've tried both my different atomizers(Goon and Mutation) and different Clapton and single wrap builds along with different materials (Ti, Ni200) and I get hot spots on the same leg in the EXACT same spot every time (black spot in attached photo). I really want to vape but it's not safe to use those materials with them getting red hot.
Any ideas? I almost want to contact volcano for an exchange

Attachments

• IMG_1515.JPG
    IMG_1515.JPG
    732.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1518.JPG
    IMG_1518.JPG
    971.8 KB · Views: 43

Guess12

Member For 4 Years
No I didn't dry fire since it's nickel or titanium that I'm using. Never had a problem with not dry firing until this device so I don't see that being the problem
The picture I uploaded is of the device monitor while trying to take a hit, looks like it's all over the place.

Attachments

• IMG_1526.JPG
    IMG_1526.JPG
    816.9 KB · Views: 13

Guess12

Member For 4 Years
^problems will still exist even if I switch wire material.
Even when It doesn't hot spot it will only function properly for a few puffs then go back to not being able to reach a certain wattage. It will hit the temp limit (450f) very quickly with wattage only fluctuates around 10-15w with no vapor production.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hello!
I've been vaping and building for a couple years now and I finally picked up my first DNA200 device but have had nothing but problems with my Lavabox. I've uploaded the correct csv files in escribe for the wires I was using, along with selecting the correct profile when using said materials but the problem exists no matter what I do!
I've tried both my different atomizers(Goon and Mutation) and different Clapton and single wrap builds along with different materials (Ti, Ni200) and I get hot spots on the same leg in the EXACT same spot every time (black spot in attached photo). I really want to vape but it's not safe to use those materials with them getting red hot.
Any ideas? I almost want to contact volcano for an exchange
you will gain most accuracy with Stainless Steel in general I would make the switch for your sanity's sake and other reasons

Nevweezy

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you really think its the Lavabox, contact Volcano. I had to exchange my Lavabox with them and they were timely at replying to emails and got it switched out quick. They have good customer service in my experience. They might try saying its a problem with your build or atty because that is what it seems like. But if it does it with both attys, different builds, and its in the same spot that cant be a coincidence. I really dont know what it could be but the mod causing it seems weird. I have never heard of a mod creating a hotspot. A mod applys voltage to the 510 pin, there is no way for it to apply more to one leg of the coil than the other. I really couldnt tell you why, try contacting Volcano and see what they say.

Goodluck and i hope you get it worked out.

Nevweezy

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Another question is do you wrap your own clapton coils? The coil in the goon, the clapton wrap seems to be tighter around the hotspot and the rest of the coils clapton wrap seems to be looser. Just an observation i seen in your pictures.

Guess12

Member For 4 Years
Another question is do you wrap your own clapton coils? The coil in the goon, the clapton wrap seems to be tighter around the hotspot and the rest of the coils clapton wrap seems to be looser. Just an observation i seen in your pictures.

Yeah I wrap them myself. I noticed that too and tried being more careful while wrapping but I was still getting the problems.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah I wrap them myself. I noticed that too and tried being more careful while wrapping but I was still getting the problems.
your coils were not done properly by the pictures if you are still having the problem it could be that your TCR is incorrect your leg lengths are not even multiple things.. post another picture of the new coil you are having issues with

Guess12

Member For 4 Years
What's not done "properly" that you see?
TCR Values are correct and the correct ones were uploaded to escribe and transferred to the box.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What's not done "properly" that you see?
TCR Values are correct and the correct ones were uploaded to escribe and transferred to the box.
post another picture of your corrected coil build

Guess12

Member For 4 Years
I tried twisted 26ga instead of the clapton coil this time with the same results, except for no visible hot spots... it just won't fire well. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Wasted a crap load of juice and wire just building and throwing away coils..

Attachments

• IMG_1535.JPG
    IMG_1535.JPG
    554.5 KB · Views: 15

Guess12

Member For 4 Years
It was weird the very first coil (26g Clapton 6 wrap @ .04-.05 I believe) I build vaped amazing for 3 or so days. Decided I wanted to pull it and try another coil and that's when the problems started.

Nevweezy

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It was weird the very first coil (26g Clapton 6 wrap @ .04-.05 I believe) I build vaped amazing for 3 or so days. Decided I wanted to pull it and try another coil and that's when the problems started.
Try using a round wire build, just a simple 26g or 24g coil. And see if you get the same problem. I am really stumped, i think it would be your coils wrap, leg length or something to do with your build. But you have tried multiple builds and same problem. Sorry man im out of solutions. Just try a simple round wire build. Make sure your legs are the same length and that your post screw on the leg thats hotspoting it tight. Worth one last shot.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Some say to dry fire nickel coils and some say it's dangerous. Which is it?
And what about spaced nickel coils?
yes nickel will expel dangerous gas at high temperature... this is the reason I suggest you make the switch to Stainless steel especially since it appears you have this nickel build in a RDA which is really not conventional sure it can be done but I would highly recommend you make the swtich

Nevweezy

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
SS is the only way to go. I use SS exclusively. I have ss316L and ss430. I can use it in temp mode or power mode. Very versatile wire.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
SS is the only way to go. I use SS exclusively. I have ss316L and ss430. I can use it in temp mode or power mode. Very versatile wire.
yep once one plays with all the others a epiphany occurs and it all makes sense why Stainless steel is used the early days of TC have confused more people than anything and it continues

Nevweezy

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
yep once one plays with all the others a epiphany occurs and it all makes sense why Stainless steel is used the early days of TC have confused more people than anything and it continues
Yeah the early days did throw alot of confusion into tc. I know people who still use nickel to tc and think its the only way. I try and explain how much better ss is but some people are set in there ways. The reason why they didnt tc with ss in the first place was it was a little more complex to get a board to do accurate tc with ss. But now we have boards that can tc the shit out of ss, its all anyone should use. I think eventually everyone will be using ss for tc and powermode.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah the early days did throw alot of confusion into tc. I know people who still use nickel to tc and think its the only way. I try and explain how much better ss is but some people are set in there ways. The reason why they didnt tc with ss in the first place was it was a little more complex to get a board to do accurate tc with ss. But now we have boards that can tc the shit out of ss, its all anyone should use. I think eventually everyone will be using ss for tc and powermode.
yep its annoying the misinformation that persists in general in vaping

Guess12

Member For 4 Years
With stainless coils do you space them for temp or leave them touching?
And is Stainless claptons possible? I really like the flavor profile I get from clapton coils.

Guess12

Member For 4 Years
Thank you guys for all the info so far!

Do you guys think my problems are from using nickel wire?
I have some SS316 at home I'm going to try after work.

Still unsure if I should send the mod back for testing. Volcano said I have 3 business days to take it to the post office, if not they can't process my RMA.

Nevweezy

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
With stainless coils do you space them for temp or leave them touching?
And is Stainless claptons possible? I really like the flavor profile I get from clapton coils.

Still unsure if I should send the mod back for testing. Volcano said I have 3 business days to take it to the post office, if not they can't process my RMA.
With stainless steel i space my coils. TC always works better with spaced coils. You can make claptons with ss and any other type of coil you want. I use ss claptons in all my attys. SS can be used same as any other wire. Its the most versatile wire i know off for coils.

I dont know alot about nickel and have never used it so i cant tell you if your problem is with nickel. I would give the ss you have at home a shot and if that doesnt work send the mod back to them. Worst that can happen is they send it back and say nothing is wrong with it.

Good luck and i hope this helps and you get it figured out.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

does the mod work fine in wattage mode?

Guess12

Member For 4 Years
With stainless steel i space my coils. TC always works better with spaced coils. You can make claptons with ss and any other type of coil you want. I use ss claptons in all my attys. SS can be used same as any other wire. Its the most versatile wire i know off for coils.

I dont know alot about nickel and have never used it so i cant tell you if your problem is with nickel. I would give the ss you have at home a shot and if that doesnt work send the mod back to them. Worst that can happen is they send it back and say nothing is wrong with it.

Good luck and i hope this helps and you get it figured out.

With SS claptons do you heat and compress to get out the hot spots then space the coils or do you go straight to spaced coils and not worry about dry firing?

Nevweezy

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
With SS claptons do you heat and compress to get out the hot spots then space the coils or do you go straight to spaced coils and not worry about dry firing?
If your using SS and are going to use spaced coils, you build the coil and space it. Install the coil, dry fire and there shouldnt be hotspots because its spaced. Wick and your good to go.

Guess12

Member For 4 Years
Made a stainless clapton.
Works in regular mode.
STAYS UNDER 20w @ 450-500 degrees on TC....
Gonna send the box back tomorrow.

Guess12

Member For 4 Years
Just to update, Volcano finally got back to me yesterday, they did indeed need to replace the device but didn't tell me exactly what was going on with it, they did say they were experiencing other problems which didn't allow them to do any further testing to determine what was causing the initial problems I was having with the device.
Anyway I'll have a new one here Thursday!

And to add, there wasn't even a warranty card in the box when I originally received it from an online vape store and Volcano still took the RMA.

Nevweezy

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just to update, Volcano finally got back to me yesterday, they did indeed need to replace the device but didn't tell me exactly what was going on with it, they did say they were experiencing other problems which didn't allow them to do any further testing to determine what was causing the initial problems I was having with the device.
Anyway I'll have a new one here Thursday!

And to add, there wasn't even a warranty card in the box when I originally received it from an online vape store and Volcano still took the RMA.
Glad to hear it all worked out for you. Yeah Volcano is usually pretty good about there RMA's. I had my Lavabox sent back twice and each time they sent me a new one. First time the firing button wouldnt fire everytime, they sent me a replacement that had a chip. So i guess third times a charm.

Guess12

Member For 4 Years
Well...
This new device was working for a bit and now it's doing the EXACT same thing.
I can fire a coil on my RX75 in temp mode just fine. Let it cool. Switch it over to my Lavabox and it holds back at very low wattage and almost no vapor production.
This device also fails to ask for a new coil every single time I switch atomizers, I've never seen it ask once. I even tried to change the range in Escribe down to 15% and still no new coil prompt.

Nevweezy

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well...
This new device was working for a bit and now it's doing the EXACT same thing.
I can fire a coil on my RX75 in temp mode just fine. Let it cool. Switch it over to my Lavabox and it holds back at very low wattage and almost no vapor production.
This device also fails to ask for a new coil every single time I switch atomizers, I've never seen it ask once. I even tried to change the range in Escribe down to 15% and still no new coil prompt.
Man that sucks so bad. Try and contact them again. I had to get 2 replacements like i said earlier. There CS is pretty good. Hope it works out for you...

Guess12

Member For 4 Years
Have had 2 defective devices so far. Should have a 3rd device on Friday. Hopefully non-defective lol

Not a very good sign for Volcano 2 of 2 malfunctioning devices to one single buyer... lol so heads up, might want to look elsewhere!

VU Sponsors