Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
District F5VE LC1, Layercake

D5 CSMNT 2...could they not just pick one name, jeeze anyway... THIS THING:

Capture11__31316.1533873962.jpeg

I just traded for one of these, getting it Thursday - anyone have one? What are some thoughts on it?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
cool, post your thoughts once you get it. Myself I've been eyeballing it, still debating on getting it but I've got way too many RDA's now and really don't want to add to the collection unless it's outstanding.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
cool, post your thoughts once you get it. Myself I've been eyeballing it, still debating on getting it but I've got way too many RDA's now and really don't want to add to the collection unless it's outstanding.

Will do!

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Watching as well. Curious to see if this addresses all the things I dislike about the Templar.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Watching as well. Curious to see if this addresses all the things I dislike about the Templar.

My Templar makes me mad, $40 down the drain after the zinc insulator broke - maybe even before that, because it broke while I was tightening the screw trying to get rid of terrible shorting at the post. Titanium screw, great, not great when the insulator can break that easily

I'll be more gentle with the Layercake

entropy1049

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I’ve heard from several folks it runs very hot, especially with the shorty cap. Cooler builds may be most desirable. Best of luck with it!

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I’ve heard from several folks it runs very hot, especially with the shorty cap. Cooler builds may be most desirable. Best of luck with it!

Thanks for the info. That affects my decision on this big time.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

That's why I got to trade for it - guy likes hot builds like 3x26 or 4x27/36 aliens, I'm more into 30g though and just a little warmth :) Drop is his style, Layercake hopefully my style

Comes tomorrow!

Astray

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
they posted on the instagram the heat tests with similar build between layercake and other RDAs like Goon. It runs considerably cooler or similarly. Idk tho, been waiting for another reviewer to tell on it. so far only ambitionzvaper

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
they posted on the instagram the heat tests with similar build between layercake and other RDAs like Goon. It runs considerably cooler or similarly. Idk tho, been waiting for another reviewer to tell on it. so far only ambitionzvaper

Now I am very excited, I do love my Goons

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
It's not a hot RDA at 70 watts, not uncomfortable to touch with my mouth or hands after dripping and taking 8-10 long puffs

I'll be trying different coils and coil placements this weekend

PSX_20180824_091600.jpg PSX_20180824_091836.jpg

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I needs one

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I needs one

I don't know if its worth $55 - it is nice, very fun to install coils, can drip through the drip tip, smooth air and decent flavor (have to try different coils before I make a decision) but the "District F5VE" ring is super loose, and if you take the cap off it gets very messy very quick

Also still need to try it squonking, it's gonna be rad for that because of the o-ring in the base, and the air for single coil mode is just right (for me - slightly restricted)

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I don't know if its worth $55 - it is nice, very fun to install coils, can drip through the drip tip, smooth air and decent flavor (have to try different coils before I make a decision) but the "District F5VE" ring is super loose, and if you take the cap off it gets very messy very quick

Also still need to try it squonking, it's gonna be rad for that because of the o-ring in the base, and the air for single coil mode is just right (for me - slightly restricted)

I haven’t picked up a good rda in so long that the shinyits is bad.
Need a good replacement for my trusty goon. Localvape had it for 60 plus 30% off. Seems fair to me

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Something to consider for the heat dissipation:

This RDA has an o-ring inside the base that will separate it from mods with flat 510 plates, lowering it's heat dissipation. I have it on a mod with bevels around the 510 and a sunken in 22mm ring - this lets the edges of the RDA touch the top of the mod which helps take heat away:

1535141590680658772509.jpg
15351416277761518488473.jpg
15351416596221865434582.jpg

This is with a pair of 0.25 ohm 4x30 aliens, too, not hot coils - I'll put in a 0.1 - 0.13 ohm pair and plop this on a flat 510 mod and see how that goes

P.S. mine has somewhat loose but great o-ring tolerances for taking off the top half of the cap, if you wanted to drip that way:

1535141989785437978198.jpg

I like to leave my rda caps on because, well, I just dropped and it rolled under my seat.

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Need a good replacement for my trusty goon.
That's only in your imagination.

https://thevapemachinist.com

https://www.instagram.com/thevapemachinist

These SBTR caps are fairly expensive, but IMO they're so worth it. By lining up the air holes positioning them partly in front of the wicks the airflow can be restricted just the right amount and will hit the coils at an angle to stir up all the flavor depth goodness, same as with the Head Shot RDA... blowing new flavor chaser's life into the legendary Goon deck and into that old flavor chasing noggin of yours. :kickbutt:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

These SBTR caps are fairly expensive, but IMO they're so worth it. By lining up the air holes positioning them partly in front of the wicks the airflow can be restricted just the right amount and will hit the coils at an angle to stir up all the flavor depth goodness, same as with the Head Shot RDA... blowing new flavor chaser's life into the legendary Goon deck and into that old flavor chasing noggin of yours. :kickbutt:
Cool! Definitely something to consider

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Cool! Definitely something to consider

I tried some 6x30/36 aliens last night, and even with only 4 wraps each, the Layercake got super hot. I would have to use a taller drip tip, but instead I will keep small coils in it and keep enjoying my Goons, otherwise :)

To be fair, it was 36g aliened and then 40g aliened over that

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
This RDA is bad (for me). The loose metal ring above the airflow collects condensation and gets messy, and gets 100 times hotter than any of my 3 Goon 1.5 clones with same builds (even with a single coil)

The seeping is the worst. $55 rdas should have perfect tolerances, this one is loosey goosey

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Bummer about this rda Meg. Glad you put it out there though. Hopefully others will read this thread before purchasing this.

One thing I've noticed is heat seems to be a problem with attys that have these big blocks off metal for mounting the coils.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Bummer about this rda Meg. Glad you put it out there though. Hopefully others will read this thread before purchasing this.

One thing I've noticed is heat seems to be a problem with attys that have these big blocks off metal for mounting the coils.

I traded an RDA I only used for pictures, anyway (Drop) so it worked out, anyway lol

I never thought about how (clone)Goons stay cool until I touched my Layercake and it burrrrrns usssss

Flavor was also well below (clone)Goon 1.5 btw, and then that loose as hell metal ring that's just for looks, and seeping liquid...ugh

Last edited:

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Here's the thing. This RDA is not built for low ohm coils - it just isn't. I got it for my mini predator which takes 18350 batteries. I built it with micro fused claptons at .4 ohms and cut off half the airflow. No leaking at all so far. Not hot at all. I like to drip 12 mg nic salt. So this is great. My only beef is the top cap - a little too wide for MTL. I rather like it.

I have the 1.5 Goon. For squonking it's okay with a build around .3 and I use the full ultem - never the SS cap. I would trade my 1.5 in minute (only have the squonk pin though).

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Here's the thing. This RDA is not built for low ohm coils - it just isn't. I got it for my mini predator which takes 18350 batteries. I built it with micro fused claptons at .4 ohms and cut off half the airflow. No leaking at all so far. Not hot at all. I like to drip 12 mg nic salt. So this is great. My only beef is the top cap - a little too wide for MTL. I rather like it.

I have the 1.5 Goon. For squonking it's okay with a build around .3 and I use the full ultem - never the SS cap. I would trade my 1.5 in minute (only have the squonk pin though).

I edited my last post to reflect that all my goon 1.5s are clones - this is important because apparently the air slots are larger on the authentic and won't close down as much without opening up the single coil air hole

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I'm turning this thread into a "I love clone Goon 1.5s" thread

Look how tight the air will go on these things (one dual coil mode, one single coil) tighter than I would use

- fully open is good for the types of single coils I use

PSX_20180831_141838.jpg

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

On the Layercake, is there supposed to be an O-ring around the metal "District FIve" ring anywhere? Something may be amiss with mine

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I traded an RDA I only used for pictures, anyway (Drop) so it worked out, anyway lol

I never thought about how (clone)Goons stay cool until I touched my Layercake and it burrrrrns usssss

Flavor was also well below (clone)Goon 1.5 btw, and then that loose as hell metal ring that's just for looks, and seeping liquid...ugh
I hear ya on the goons. I have the original 22mm and it really doesn't get hot despite running 3mm coils with 6 wraps each and one of the three air holes closed on each side with a wide bore 510 drip tip. The fucking flavor is phenomenal on the little bugger.

So how long before you PIF the layer cake? You don't sound happy at all with it. Gonna make it a pretty shelf piece to show friends when they stop by? :p

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I hear ya on the goons. I have the original 22mm and it really doesn't get hot despite running 3mm coils with 6 wraps each and one of the three air holes closed on each side with a wide bore 510 drip tip. The fucking flavor is phenomenal on the little bugger.

So how long before you PIF the layer cake? You don't sound happy at all with it. Gonna make it a pretty shelf piece to show friends when they stop by? :p

Wellll, it is so easy to install coils, I can use it to check resistances or prefire coils and stuff for the bidness - or coil photography, if I ever get more time for that hnnnng

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wellll, it is so easy to install coils, I can use it to check resistances or prefire coils and stuff for the bidness - or coil photography, if I ever get more time for that hnnnng
I didn't know you fired up your business. I clicked the link in your sig and you make some awesome coils Meg!!! Congrats. :cheers:

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
On the Layercake, is there supposed to be an O-ring around the metal "District FIve" ring anywhere? Something may be amiss with mine
Two o-rings on the inner barrel but very small and thin and two choices for the ring - black and gold - I use the gold. It is a loose fit. But you can adjust for a tight draw.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Two o-rings on the inner barrel but very small and thin and two choices for the ring - black and gold - I use the gold. It is a loose fit. But you can adjust for a tight draw.

I've got ss, graphite and gold - all three spin freely and wobble up and down (and collect condensation)

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm turning this thread into a "I love clone Goon 1.5s" thread

Look how tight the air will go on these things (one dual coil mode, one single coil) tighter than I would use

- fully open is good for the types of single coils I use

View attachment 118880
Dual coil full open:

Goon 1_5 fused claptons.jpg

Single coil full open:

stapled helix.jpg

Goon 1.5 1.0:

Goon 2.0.jpg

Bottom line:

s-l300.jpg

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Stuck it on my TK stack with a micro fused clapton at around .38 - it works but damn it gets hot if you chain vape like me.Tell me that's not pretty though!

stacked tk.png

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Which goons y'all talking about. I've got a 22,24 and an lp. Maybe I need to jump on that flavor train. Got some dual staggered fused in the 22 and it's way too hot for a tube

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Stuck it on my TK stack with a micro fused clapton at around .38 - it works but damn it gets hot if you chain vape like me.Tell me that's not pretty though!

View attachment 118952
Holy shit a tk stack? That's cool. I've got a copper, stainless revolver and black saw blade

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Which goons y'all talking about. I've got a 22,24 and an lp. Maybe I need to jump on that flavor train. Got some dual staggered fused in the 22 and it's way too hot for a tube

Jeff Palladino (The Vape Machinist) makes a custom cap for the 24mm Goon RDA (1.0 or 1.5 doesn't matter, as they are interchangeable). I have both the copper and the brass. It completely covers the side of the deck, i.e. including the edge along the bottom of the deck so for the aesthetics it doesn't matter what color/finish your Goon deck has. He now also lets you choose between a few other popular RDA decks when you order this cap. It is 26mm diameter on the outside so it'll sit flush on the SBTR "Project Neptune Spear" tube mech by R6two, which is this amazing little gem:

SBTR.jpg

EDIT: The copper version hits so incredibly hard you actually might die the same way Osama Bin Laden died.

Last edited:

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Jeff Palladino (The Vape Machinist) makes a custom cap for the 24mm Goon RDA (1.0 or 1.5 doesn't matter, as they are interchangeable). I have both the copper and the brass. It completely covers the side of the deck, i.e. including the edge along the bottom of the deck so for the aesthetics it doesn't matter what color/finish your Goon deck has. He now also lets you choose between a few other popular RDA decks when you order this cap. It is 26mm diameter on the outside so it'll sit flush on the SBTR "Project Neptune Spear" tube mech by R6two, which is this amazing little gem:

View attachment 119557

EDIT: The copper version hits so incredibly hard you actually might die the same way Osama Bin Laden died.

I like those mods.

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Im just gonna leave this here. Im a huge goon fan og,lp and 1.5's. Got a clone layercake on the way from 3f just cause every1 talks bout it and wanna see. Authentic aint happening by this guy...so if anyone has clone layer for sale while i wait 3 weeks more for delivery..holla at me

Attachments

• 20171218_173150-01.jpeg
    20171218_173150-01.jpeg
    156.9 KB · Views: 12

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Im just gonna leave this here. Im a huge goon fan og,lp and 1.5's. Got a clone layercake on the way from 3f just cause every1 talks bout it and wanna see. Authentic aint happening by this guy...so if anyone has clone layer for sale while i wait 3 weeks more for delivery..holla at me
Meg said it was a juicy rda. Condensation seepage

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I'm thinking maybe Meg got a defective one - I have a clone and an authentic, and neither one of them leaks, gets sloppy, etc. The main difference between the two is the airflow is a little wider on the clone.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm thinking maybe Meg got a defective one - I have a clone and an authentic, and neither one of them leaks, gets sloppy, etc. The main difference between the two is the airflow is a little wider on the clone.
I know it looks sleek as hell. I may pick one up myself. Gotta buy a new phone today after work. Mine is practically a desktop right now. Spotify runs in it but if I get any other notify it dies. Boo Nexus

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know it looks sleek as hell. I may pick one up myself. Gotta buy a new phone today after work. Mine is practically a desktop right now. Spotify runs in it but if I get any other notify it dies. Boo Nexus

They still make nexus? Lol...Whats next? NOTE 9?
I cant wait to get my damn cake...im like a fat kid right now....I WANT MY CAKE!!!!!

Sent from a very cloudy room /car

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your review was killer btw

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Your review was killer btw

Thanks! It was really more of a comparison of the clone vs. authentic than a review. I may do a full review soon though. If anyone wants to see the comparison, you can view it HERE.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They still make nexus? Lol...Whats next? NOTE 9?
I cant wait to get my damn cake...im like a fat kid right now....I WANT MY CAKE!!!!!

6p was the last Nexus. 2 years old. Os update screwed everyone phone up. Just dies whenever. Just gonna get a burner that will work til tax time next year.

VU Sponsors