Become a Patron!

Learning curve

Vaping_MD_Student

Member For 2 Years
I want to work my way up to the advanced builds. I've mentioned that in a few threads already, so I'm hoping this one will cover all the bases and I won't need to post about it anymore. Why? Because I'm that guy and I like to have a plan for EVERYTHING. I'm also really busy and often have to plan my days down to the hour at least a week in advance.

Beyond basic (macro/micro/nano) builds, what do y'all suggest for a learning progression? A guy at my local shop suggested moving to twisted wire next, but didn't really go into much beyond that.

If you have favorite videos for tutorials, please post them. I can go to YouTube and look for several, but it gets frustrating going through a dozen or so videos to find the gems of good, complete information. Several channels promised a "from the ground up" series on building (RIP Trippers and MFS come to mind), but I haven't found a single one that followed through on that.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My advise..... don't go below .5 ohms till you can make any build vape good at any wattage you choose..... all the while never going lower the .5ohm.

Question you gotta ask are you building for a good vape or artwork and hobby.... Simple simple wire builds and twisted wire will cover the first.. that just require you determining what kind of vapor you want. Beyond basics is the realm of hobby and artistry...... this is where you do find fancy coils and huge clouds.. soom say flavor also. While there may be more quantity I dispute the quality of fancy build vaping flavor.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
There are no rules of progression. Pick one build that piques your interest, and practice until you're happy with it. Then pick another.
Happy building.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Don't agree with the 0.5 ohm build thing unless you are using a series mech

build anyway you want for a regulated mod normally above 0.1 but 0.2-0.3 is about the sweet spot for most regulated mods

Never was a fan of single wire my first build was twisted wire

I personally found it easiest to start with a clapton after the twisted wire funnily enough I found a fused clapton easier than a single clapton to begin with until I got my technique down on both

After that I went straight to alien build as learning this one is most difficult to overcome (was for me anyway) but so many of the lovely builds use it and it's a major stepping stone especially using thinner gauge wires

Then I tried staple coil

Framed staple coil

Framed helix coil

Then staggered clapton

Then staggered fused clapton

The Framed Staple Staggered fused clapton

Then a squalien or enigma coil

Yet to knock out a Stapleton, pitchfork, hybrid, stiched alien, staple alien these really are up there with the complex builds to be honest though I'm kinda happy with the builds I've done so far the others aren't as interesting to me so lacking the willpower to do them lol

This is the path I took anyway learning each of these helps natural progression to the next

But Gaku is right there is no right or wrong the worst thing that can happen is lots of wasted wire trying ;) especially trying to coil ribbon it's a bitch

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Just to add for ADV knocking out a fused clapton is easy and vapes very well easpscially on atty,s with smaller deck space I still use them and like them a lot although framed staples are my personal favourite for flavour, clouds the lot

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As you can see there is no best way to build or vape..... do what feels right to you....

Fwiw the.5 ohm suggestion was more about quality control than safety or any thing.... errors with a .5ohm target or higher are not as big a deal as when building at lower ohms..... a .5 build that comes out as .2 might still be vapable. A .2 that ends up .1 or less might not.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
You set your own limitations, your creativity and imagination are your boundaries. Coupled with planned builds with routine prep work you can make just about anything...it just takes some practice and a clean, easy approach to the specific build you want to pull off.

Like @Huckleberried mentioned before, I do live streams on Instagram everyone morning 9am-11am (Eastern USA Time), I try and teach people how I like to prep and show tricks Ive learned and found have made building much easier for me.
My Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/raymo_2_u/

If you have any qestions dont hesitate to contact me....its what Im here for!

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Raymo is the Master of coil builds unbelievable work truly inspirational imo our most gifted artist on this forum

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
As you can see there is no best way to build or vape..... do what feels right to you....

Fwiw the.5 ohm suggestion was more about quality control than safety or any thing.... errors with a .5ohm target or higher are not as big a deal as when building at lower ohms..... a .5 build that comes out as .2 might still be vapable. A .2 that ends up .1 or less might not.

All true although most regulated mods won't fire below 0.1ohm or where it detects a short but I do appreciate the why chance it ....still as long as builders use a resistence reader and check the legs are tight after firing the resistence should never drop like that, ive never observed a severe drop like this in any of my builds so far

Depends how you want to vape op resistence increases change how much wattage you need

madjaggar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I would say twisted is a good next build or even parallel but like others have said anything you build is going to take practice so it doesn't really matter

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been making fused claptons with the Avidartisan Daedalus Coil maker. Just last night I found this vid on making staggered claptons. I've watched a few vids on it and this guy has come up with a couple ideas that are just great.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've been making fused claptons with the Avidartisan Daedalus Coil maker. Just last night I found this vid on making staggered claptons. I've watched a few vids on it and this guy has come up with a couple ideas that are just great.

I've made them using the hand-held loop method. Next time I'm going to use a weight on the loop, instead of holding it with my fingers. Spool tamers can also space claptons, but I haven't tried that yet.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've made them using the hand-held loop method. Next time I'm going to use a weight on the loop, instead of holding it with my fingers. Spool tamers can also space claptons, but I haven't tried that yet.

The question I have, and I've read lots of opinions, is whether staggered fused claptons are worth the effort. I've used mainly fused claptons since I started putting my own coils in. I'll get around to this shortly and see.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The question I have, and I've read lots of opinions, is whether staggered fused claptons are worth the effort. I've used mainly fused claptons since I started putting my own coils in. I'll get around to this shortly and see.
Yeah, it's just something you'll have to determine for yourself. Some love 'em, some think they're a waste of wire. I can't say mine were super duper, but they didn't suck. They were just dual-fused first-effort little coils, but I liked 'em. Trying to talk myself into some 6-cores, atm. But sitting on my ass, yapping and doing nothing constructive is just more appealing right now lol.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

In my opinion it's negligible between the two the one difference I would say is staggered gunk up slightly slower than straight fused

Although it's an important technique to learn if you want to try some of the more complex builds

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Someone needs to put together a sticky on the different types of coils and what the benefits of them are (aside from being purty). I saw a video yesterday with some vertical coils that were interesting that I'd never seen before.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Someone needs to put together a sticky on the different types of coils and what the benefits of them are (aside from being purty). I saw a video yesterday with some vertical coils that were interesting that I'd never seen before.

Good idea Khassy!

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This was the video I was referring to, with the Stove Top coil and Inception. Not quite vertical coils but I don't know how else to describe them.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This was the video I was referring to, with the Stove Top coil and Inception. Not quite vertical coils but I don't know how else to describe them.

Yeah, I wouldn't even know where to start wicking stuff like that. I think it's more art, than vape. For me, the point of diminishing return is pretty low. I'm too lazy to build for the artistry. And too ill tempered to spend hours building a coil I can't figure out how to vape lol.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah, I wouldn't even know where to start wicking stuff like that. I think it's more art, than vape. For me, the point of diminishing return is pretty low. I'm too lazy to build for the artistry. And too ill tempered to spend hours building a coil I can't figure out how to vape lol.

Yeah, those are fancy schmancy and probably good for cloud chasers. Pretty to look at but I'm not interested in learning to build them. lol But for the sticky, descriptions of different types of coils like claptons, fused, stapled, etc., would be nice. I have no idea what the differences are and why one would want them. I have a box of 7 different "exotic" coils that I bought, but no idea why I would use one over another.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah, those are fancy schmancy and probably good for cloud chasers. Pretty to look at but I'm not interested in learning to build them. lol But for the sticky, descriptions of different types of coils like claptons, fused, stapled, etc., would be nice. I have no idea what the differences are and why one would want them. I have a box of 7 different "exotic" coils that I bought, but no idea why I would use one over another.
I've got a box of 8-in-1 MKWS coils I bought for the aliens in it. Their idea of an alien is a piece of ribbon with a straight clapton wrap. What a joke lol. I stalked the builder's threads here and watched youtube vids, and learned to make them myself. They are well worth the effort, IMO. But if someone has an easier alternative that gives a comparable vape, I'd give it a go.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Khassy head over to the coils section then select the post you builds thread most people on there say what it is they have built that'll give you an idea of the types of coils ...although I'll warn you don't necessarily start from page 1 there are over 14k posts! Hahaha I started somewhere about page 160 when I started looking at the thread and posting my early attempts a little after that

I might well take you up on that offer I by no means am a super expert master builder but know my way around coils now got a few under my belt but that's the thing there are guys like Raymo or whiteowl who have knocked out probably most of the coil types now they'd be much better to start a thread like that as they have vaped on them all

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Khassy head over to the coils section then select the post you builds thread most people on there say what it is they have built that'll give you an idea of the types of coils ...although I'll warn you don't necessarily start from page 1 there are over 14k posts! Hahaha I started somewhere about page 160 when I started looking at the thread and posting my early attempts a little after that

I might well take you up on that offer I by no means am a super expert master builder but know my way around coils now got a few under my belt but that's the thing there are guys like Raymo or whiteowl who have knocked out probably most of the coil types now they'd be much better to start a thread like that as they have vaped on them all

I checked out Raymo's Instagram and holy cow! I was astounded by his builds. Sheesh. And here I am thinking I'm doing well with a single strand coil. :teehee:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I checked out Raymo's Instagram and holy cow! I was astounded by his builds. Sheesh. And here I am thinking I'm doing well with a single strand coil. :teehee:

Don't be offput by that he's been building for a while now :) it comes together really quick

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Oh, I could tell he has a lot of experience. The ones that confounded me were the ones that looked like two (or more) different builds together. Like this one. Mindboggling to me. :)
Extension and Hybrid coils are more about imagination and attention then vaping although each have their own uses. I hope to make some youtube videos but lack any video/photography knowledge...i dont want to put out half assed videos.

Vaping_MD_Student

Member For 2 Years
In response to some of the earlier posts, I want to learn it all. Advanced builds are what caught my interest in rebuilding to begin with, so my eventual goal is to be able to put together a build that takes 15 words to describe it haha. At this point, I'm just trying to get all of the building blocks down. I'm feeling pretty comfortable with basic coils now, so I'm thinking I'll play around with some twisted wire and some different parallel configurations until I get some disposable income built up and can grab a whole bunch of different wires. Is there a good place with information on all of the different metals out there used for wire? I'm playing with Kanthal now, but after looking at Steam Engine, I'm realizing there are about 85,000 different metals out there to work with...

You set your own limitations, your creativity and imagination are your boundaries. Coupled with planned builds with routine prep work you can make just about anything...it just takes some practice and a clean, easy approach to the specific build you want to pull off.

Like @Huckleberried mentioned before, I do live streams on Instagram everyone morning 9am-11am (Eastern USA Time), I try and teach people how I like to prep and show tricks Ive learned and found have made building much easier for me.
My Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/raymo_2_u/

If you have any qestions dont hesitate to contact me....its what Im here for!
I saw you mention the videos on a different thread and have been following you since. Beautiful work and maybe one day I'll have some builds that compete with yours (Ha! But shoot for the moon right?). I haven't been able to catch a live stream, but I will make that happen soon. Fingers crossed you decide to make the venture over to the Youtube side of things some day. I can definitely appreciate not wanting to put out content that you feel isn't up to your quality standards though. It just sucks that IG live feeds aren't accessible after they're over.

This. All of this. Maybe there could even be some information on the different wire metals like I mentioned earlier? Trying to get into rebuilding when you don't spend time with many people who even vape has been one of my most difficult ventures yet. I actually enjoy that about it and this forum has made the beginning feel doable. I just wish there was a centralized location to find all of the information haha. Hell, even something that covers some of the terminology of rebuilding.. It's been nothing short of a scavenger hunt! Making the switch from a TF-V4 where I only had a basic concept of a Clapton (because guitar strings) and then seeing aliens and staggered and fused.. Not too long ago I remember thinking "What in the actual F does RDTA mean??" Haha if there isn't one already out there that I've just overlooked, I'm seriously considering putting together a generic glossary once I start to get some of the names for the more advanced builds down.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
In response to some of the earlier posts, I want to learn it all. Advanced builds are what caught my interest in rebuilding to begin with, so my eventual goal is to be able to put together a build that takes 15 words to describe it haha. At this point, I'm just trying to get all of the building blocks down. I'm feeling pretty comfortable with basic coils now, so I'm thinking I'll play around with some twisted wire and some different parallel configurations until I get some disposable income built up and can grab a whole bunch of different wires. Is there a good place with information on all of the different metals out there used for wire? I'm playing with Kanthal now, but after looking at Steam Engine, I'm realizing there are about 85,000 different metals out there to work with...

I saw you mention the videos on a different thread and have been following you since. Beautiful work and maybe one day I'll have some builds that compete with yours (Ha! But shoot for the moon right?). I haven't been able to catch a live stream, but I will make that happen soon. Fingers crossed you decide to make the venture over to the Youtube side of things some day. I can definitely appreciate not wanting to put out content that you feel isn't up to your quality standards though. It just sucks that IG live feeds aren't accessible after they're over.

This. All of this. Maybe there could even be some information on the different wire metals like I mentioned earlier? Trying to get into rebuilding when you don't spend time with many people who even vape has been one of my most difficult ventures yet. I actually enjoy that about it and this forum has made the beginning feel doable. I just wish there was a centralized location to find all of the information haha. Hell, even something that covers some of the terminology of rebuilding.. It's been nothing short of a scavenger hunt! Making the switch from a TF-V4 where I only had a basic concept of a Clapton (because guitar strings) and then seeing aliens and staggered and fused.. Not too long ago I remember thinking "What in the actual F does RDTA mean??" Haha if there isn't one already out there that I've just overlooked, I'm seriously considering putting together a generic glossary once I start to get some of the names for the more advanced builds down.

For the cheapest wires to grab for practice, I use them myself and I feel its the best option when building and going through as much wire as I do.

KingOrchid wire, its Sandvik so its top of the line wire, he also carries Kanthal D which in my opinion can color better then any other metal out there if you know how to get it...its how I get those greens, pinks, red, blue, golds, and other pastel colors all together on the same build. He spools the wire himself and his spooling rivals kidneypuncher...buying from him for 2 years and Ive yet to get a spool that has a single caught, kinked or wavy wire on it. To find him you need to go on ebay and search "Resistance Heating Wire" and then visit his items. Most of his wire is incredibly inexpensive ( $8-12 for 1000ft of 38g-50g and $3 for 28g/100ft) and if there isnt a listing for 1000ft just send him a message...he usually gives great deals if your kind and message him.

Kbeevapeswholesale.com, another great wire source. Most of my Kanthal A1 Ribbon (600ft/$18) and SS wire 600ft of 28g for $12 and 6000ft of 40g for $40) comes from here. Perfect to learn to stagger or practicing aliens with.

CoilSociety.com, great place to pick up N80 and SS Ribbon wire or other wire for a decent price....the prices for N80 and SS ribbon is lowest here....also very well spooled and clean wire.

Last edited:

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Kbeevapeswholesale.com, another great wire source. Most of my Kanthal A1 Ribbon (600ft/$18) and SS wire 600ft of 28g for $12 and 6000ft of 40g for $40) comes from here. Perfect to learn to stagger or play with aliens with,

CoilSociety.com, great ace to pick up N80 and SS Ribbon wire or other wire for a decent price....the prices for N80 and SS ribbon is lowest here....also very well spooled and clean wire.

Thanks for sharing this.

Vaping_MD_Student

Member For 2 Years
Aright, y'all. I'm starting to look into getting more stuff for this rapidly growing addiction. Do y'all have any suggestions for a building station? I've looked around, but haven't seen a post directly related to this. I just don't want to wind up starting 100 threads in my first month or two haha.

I've already got a propane torch, power drill, and the Coil Master build kit. I know I want to build a stand to hold a swivel and I'm planning to get one of those magnifier table lamps. What would y'all suggest as far as a table clamp for holding tension? I've seen Squidoode use one regularly on his Youtube channel. Is there anything specific I'm looking for with a table clamp or things I should be wary of when getting one? Do y'all have any other suggestions for tools and such to make all of this possible or easier?

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Half a dozen good ball-bearing swivels, a handvise, some hotglue sticks and a bic lighter(don't need the gluegun).

And a pasta roller, lol. I caught raymo's livestream the other night, and dude ran his finished staggs through a fuckin pasta roller to flatten them. Damndest thing I've seen a builder do. He's a madman:giggle:

Vaping_MD_Student

Member For 2 Years
Half a dozen good ball-bearing swivels, a handvise, some hotglue sticks and a bic lighter(don't need the gluegun).

And a pasta roller, lol. I caught raymo's livestream the other night, and dude ran his finished staggs through a fuckin pasta roller to flatten them. Damndest thing I've seen a builder do. He's a madman:giggle:

I haven't seen hot glue used yet. What's it for?

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I haven't seen hot glue used yet. What's it for?

For holding multi-wire builds together. Especially for ribbon core builds. There's a technique called "floating" where you only loop the frames around the swivel, and use hotglue to hold the cores between the frames. Keeps the ribbon from separating and flopping over or bending. Check out the last few pages of the "Post your build" thread. Tons of info in that one.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

When is Raymo on? I've been wanting to catch that myself. I probably will never be able to do it myself, but I do enjoy watching a master work. :)

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hot glue is for binding ends, I use bits of Ribbon wrapped loosely and pinched with nylon pliers for holding wire together...if you use .5 Ribbon is will slide over staggering also without damaging it..These 2 things are a builders savior...I dont think Id be where I am without them.

The Pasta Roller makes everything on a uniform level....it only flattens the fusing and staggering just enough to make it look like I took my time and made all the wrap on a build at the same exact tension...

No Flattening:

16584959_260419491050680_9086014361343885312_n.jpg

Thats why it all looks good...if I didnt use the roller then there would be raised fuses, offsets angles and more...the roller presses everything down and flat and helps some fusing into where it needs to be and more...
17265345_1827469134144480_9073989745700241408_n.jpg
17077661_1616191405075049_1210658586758217728_n.jpg
15803196_1651407221828520_1050143882106372096_n.jpg

When is Raymo on? I've been wanting to catch that myself. I probably will never be able to do it myself, but I do enjoy watching a master work. :)
Usually around now is when I livestream on instagram. (9am-11am Eatsern USA Time Zone on week days usually) Ill be on shortly if you want to catch it.
Instagram Tag: Raymo_2_u

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hot glue is for binding ends, I use bits of Ribbon wrapped loosely and pinched with nylon pliers for holding wire together...if you use .5 Ribbon is will slide over staggering also without damaging it..These 2 things are a builders savior...I dont think Id be where I am without them.

The Pasta Roller makes everything on a uniform level....it only flattens the fusing and staggering just enough to make it look like I took my time and made all the wrap on a build at the same exact tension...

No Flattening:

16584959_260419491050680_9086014361343885312_n.jpg

Thats why it all looks good...if I didnt use the roller then there would be raised fuses, offsets angles and more...the roller presses everything down and flat and helps some fusing into where it needs to be and more...
17265345_1827469134144480_9073989745700241408_n.jpg
17077661_1616191405075049_1210658586758217728_n.jpg
15803196_1651407221828520_1050143882106372096_n.jpg

Usually around now is when I livestream on instagram. (9am-11am Eatsern USA Time Zone on week days usually) Ill be on shortly if you want to catch it.
Instagram Tag: Raymo_2_u

Raymo you are epic!

Vaping_MD_Student

Member For 2 Years
That shit tastes like Pine Needles lol....Im more of a Grey Goose kinda guy
And that stuff tastes like rubbing alcohol haha! I'm all about some Woodford Reserve

You should send him a bottle of the same stuff you've been drinking.
@KingPin! have you tried The Botanist gin? I used to be a Sapphire guy on the gin side of things, but that one is far and away the best gin I've tried.

As for building, I'm feeling pretty confident on twisted coils now, so it's on to the list that @KingPin! posted. I think I'm going to work it top to bottom and see how far I can get before either classes start back or I run out of wire hahaha

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
And that stuff tastes like rubbing alcohol haha! I'm all about some Woodford Reserve

@KingPin! have you tried The Botanist gin? I used to be a Sapphire guy on the gin side of things, but that one is far and away the best gin I've tried.

As for building, I'm feeling pretty confident on twisted coils now, so it's on to the list that @KingPin! posted. I think I'm going to work it top to bottom and see how far I can get before either classes start back or I run out of wire hahaha

Bob was taking the piss as I'm British lol can't drink gin mate makes me angry

I'm a vodka and whisky guy (that and real ales or Guinness) jobs a gooden!

Good luck on the list mate you'll be surprised how quickly you get through the builds :)

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

I like the Rubbing Alcohol taste...that and some paint chips, really takes me back to the good ole
days

VU Sponsors