Become a Patron!

Leaving batteries in a mod?

tommyboy01

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm new to replaceable battery mods, as I've been vaping with internal cell mods.
I'm probably going to take my integrated mod (Joye Evic VT 60w) with me when I go out and use my new Kanger Kbox200 for chucking clouds at home...
My question is, how long can you safely keep batteries in a mod while not in use?
Any and all feedback is appreciated.

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As long as the device is somewhere safe, you'll be fine keeping the cells inside it. I wouldn't want to keep it anywhere in direct sunlight, or in a car for long periods in extreme temperatures. For normal use, lithium cells won't leak like old zinc chloride AAs do.

A mod, even when "switched off" will use a small amount of power. This is because it's always looking for you pressing the fire button how ever many times to switch it on. Quiescent current is what this tiny amount of power is referred to. Some mod makers state this current draw in the specifications.

I'd probably not want to leave a mod with a set of cells in it doing nothing for more than a couple or three months. Most of my gear is in regular rotation. The stuff that isn't, I'll take the cells out occasionally and Pop them in the charger to see the voltage they're at.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yea what the smart guy above me said...
Good for short amounts of time, bad for longer periods. Check your Battery wraps here and there. Charge with External Charger is recommended also.

my battery (new few days old) seems to drop .3v in as little as 15 minutes while inside the mod thats turned off. is that normal?

battery bro

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
my battery (new few days old) seems to drop .3v in as little as 15 minutes while inside the mod thats turned off. is that normal?

It depends what your starting voltage is. A fully charged 18650 at 4.2 V will sag somewhat quickly. A loss of .3v in a few seconds can be normal with a 2, 3+ amp discharge.

When I put my batteries in their holders, there is no loss of voltage until the discharge commences.

I suspect the mod is drawing current, however I'm not sure why.

VU Sponsors