Become a Patron!

Leaving batteries on my charger when fully charged?

Detroit Primetime

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a Nitecore New I4 charger. I use it to charge my Sony VTC5a and LG batteries. Is it ok to leave the batteries on the charger after they have fully charged? Most times I’m charging them over night so I can use them all day.

Thankyou
Prime

Last edited:

choderfett

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is a potential hazard to leave them charging over night, unattended. I charge them through out the day checking on it time to time if it’s heating up.. and take em off when it’s done.. or when I take off.. it’s just a good safety practice.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It’s probably a better idea to take them off when they are done charging. However, I was recently away from home for about a month and left batteries in the same charger the entire time. The batteries were fine and nothing burned down.

lucifah

Shinyitis Victim
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I've got the same charger. Happened a couple of times that I forgot to remove batteries before going to bed. Next day they are nicely charged and the charger is cold, which tells me it switches off the charging circuit once done. I would think that the chances of anything terrible happening with a proper charger and good batteries are pretty darn slim. That said, of course it's safer not to rely on any circuitry and remove them as soon as they are charged.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I leave my batteries in my chargers because they shut down when fully charged and I have an I4 in my charger rack. I do not sit and watch my batteries charge and I also use the USB in a PC to power one of the chargers and MOD's that charge via USB.

Kranky Kanger

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As others have noted, it's not an ideal situation to leave batteries on a charger overnight or unattended. Attended doesn't mean watching them constantly, just being around and checking on them occasionally is all. But with that said, modern "smart" chargers basically shut down once the battery(s) reach full charge to prevent overcharging and the related hazards. So likely won't hurt your batteries. However, you have to keep in mind that the chargers and batteries are made by humans, humans screw up, also electronics can malfunction at any time. If your comfortable with the risk, you won't be hurting your batteries any. Personally, I unplug the charger before leaving the house or going to bed, and I try to charge batteries when I know I'm going to be around and aware. I've forgotten some times, as has anyone else, and had nothing happen. But I'm not comfortable with the risk of doing it on purpose. Your call of course.

Detroit Primetime

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you everyone for your replies. Like everyone has said, it does have a risk leaving them in. Although the charger claims that it shuts down when charged, the “human factor” can’t be over looked as Kranger pointed out.
No more overnight charging for me! :)

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My chargers are in use basically 24/7/365 because there are always batteries to charge. If I don't charge when I am not around then I would not have Charged batteries when I needed them.

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I keep my efest 6 bay on top of a lipo guard bag. If they aren't done charging when I go to bed the charger goes in the bag.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I put them in to charge before bed; I pull them in the AM - after I get enough caffeine to focus.
I put them in to charge before work; I pull them when I get home - then I get a drink.

This is why I pay for "Insurance".

Oh.. and taxes.

Detroit Primetime

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I put them in to charge before bed; I pull them in the AM - after I get enough caffeine to focus.
I put them in to charge before work; I pull them when I get home - then I get a drink.

This is why I pay for "Insurance".

Oh.. and taxes.
That was pretty much schedule. I was relying on the charger to do its job, shutting down when fully charged. Now I’m paranoid after reading some of the replies.

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Been vaping 5 years, I charge my mods and batteries at night, and my house not blown up, use a good charger and should be good, is there a chance of something going wrong? There sure is, just like anything plugged in is, do you go around your house unplugging everything before bed? Even your fridge, freezer and HVAC could fail at night.

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That was pretty much schedule. I was relying on the charger to do its job, shutting down when fully charged. Now I’m paranoid after reading some of the replies.
while it should be completely safe, things do happen and if it does happen you better hope your charger/battery is on a fireproof surface (stove, pyrex baking pan, etc) or in a fireproof bag, as a 18650 venting is a lot more violent than a aa/aaa rechargeable or something like a cell phone. There was a video circulating a few months ago of a 18650 venting inside a charger in someones apartment while they were sleeping. It did not look like fun to me but thankfully they were home, in the room, and were able to make sure their house didnt burn down.

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
If I charge overnight, I do it in the garage away from anything Flammable. I use the Nitecore I4 chargers.
I have a charging bag but I don't use it anymore because the chargers get too hot.
I hear this is normal but I don't trust it.

VU Sponsors