Become a Patron!

Lemo 2 bland/harsh flavor fix?

etorg

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I think I really have figured out how to get rid of bland and/or nasty/harsh taste I suffered from either of my two Lemo 2 tanks on a regular basis. Seriously, if you are a Lemo 2 hater...I totally understand. I firmly believe it's in the wicking. The build, the mod/battery, the airflow, the wick material, the juice, etc. are all secondary set-up factors that can be optimized for better flavor. However, if your wicking style is set up for harsh, nasty or bland flavor...that's what you'll get.

This little write-up has the total noob in mind. If you think I'm a noob, buzz off. I've seen too many forum threads about bad flavor on the Lemo 2 that don't contain the discussion I offer below. I hope I'm not just trying to fool myself into liking this tank...everything is great...except flavor...well, maybe the empty tank to work on build thing too, but...here we go.

To start, I'll need to offer a couple lessons in basic physics.

1 - One of the first things to know if you are to become a decent solderer, brazer, or welder is: the liquid (melted solder/flux) is going to flow toward the hottest spot. In order to get a good solder, braze or weld connection/seal you will need to learn how to direct your hot soldering iron tip, the gas flame etc to the place you want your solder/flux to flow to. The melted solder/etc will flow up, down, sideways in whatever direction toward the hottest spot. Guess what...so does e-juice. You fire up your atomizer and the juice will wick up directly to the coil...the hottest spot.

2 - You really don't have to do this but, follow me here. Fill up a pitcher of water, half full. Let the pitcher rest for 30 minutes so any splashing on the inside of the it, above the fill line you have chosen, dries out. Gently pour the water onto the top of your little brother's head, being careful to make sure all the water exits the pitcher at or near the pour spout. Hey, guess what...the areas at the top of the pitcher, not close to the pour spout don't get wet...most of the top rim of the pitcher stays dry.

On to vaping and the pancake (or any other) method of improper wicking.

Don't know what pancake wicking is? Google Rip Trippers pancake wicking and watch the video. Basically, it's a wick through the middle of a horizontal coil that is fluffed out/smashed out into a pancake shape at both ends of the coil....half of each pancake is below the coil, half is above it. Yes, yes...it looks like a Star Wars Tie-Fighter.

Here's the problem with the pancake method of wicking on the Lemo 2, and any other style of wicking that provides the same results. It's the half of the pancake wick above the coil that is the problem. People talk about atomizer chamber size/shape, chimney size/shape, etc...but, if you don't take care of this top half of each end's pancake...you will continue having major flavor problems. Because the coil is the hottest spot, the juice flows (up from the bottom juice channels on the Lemo 2) and directly towards/ into said coil. The dry top areas of the pitcher?...that's the whole area of both ends of the pancake wick...above the coil...it never gets wicked properly. Oh, it gets juice...from your initial priming of the coil...resulting in lots of no taste/bland vapor because it doesn't get hot enough to bring out the flavor of whatever juice you're using. Lots of uber-bland vapor until...it dries out to the point where incomes the harsh/burnt flavor. It stays moist enough to not get vaporized itself but instead provides a very consistent burned flavor on every puff. Turn your wattage down, increase airflow...whatever...if you have that under-wicked wicking above the coil...you WILL get burned flavor.

Just cut that crap off. Or, for whatever style of wicking you choose...get rid of any wicking that will not get fresh juice wicked to it...remember, the juice is heading to the coil...not areas of wick sticking out this way and that like most of the top of the pitcher not close to the pour spout.

One more thing straight from Eleaf's Lemo 2 user manual. "...maintain 10%-90%..." juice. I've found that I can vape at whatever wattage, temp control, etc settings and all of the sudden get nasty burnt hit...ouch! This is a "tank" atomizer. It utilizes a vacuum. When the juice level gets low enough, two things happen. One - there is no longer the gravity pulling on the juice of a full (90% full) tank...and, Two - as the juice level decreases, the top part of the tank, the empty part, undergoes a decrease in pressure. No longer is gravity pulling the juice from the tank into the atomizer chamber, but the lose of pressure in the tank is actually pulling the juice back out of the chamber. Ouch! If in a "spot", you can simply close airflow, open juice fill. This relieves the low pressure in the tank and you'll get a few more decent puffs. However, this is the time to refill.

I've only been vaping for almost 5 months now...protank 2, Taifun (with fasttech gt base for better airflow), and now a pair of Lemo 2s. Baught one at recent vape convention for $30, the three days later got a second one online for $13...is kind of nice having two build decks for same atty...even on a pos Esh!t tc40w.

The Taifun's flavor is nothing short of absolutely amazing...I could put dog-shizzle in it and it would taste good...here's why. It might have something to do with the smaller over-all size of the chamber...but, I believe it's because of the design of the wicking. The Taifun has two small juice channels...about the same size as the two juice channels on the Lemo 2. However, the juice channels on the Lemo 2 are below the coil...the juice channels on the Taifun are at the same height as the coil. So, wicking the Taifun is simply a matter of putting the wick through the coil and straight out the juice channels. Leave a little sticking out into the tank, and cut it off. Is a very simple design that leave little chance of having any wicking sticking out, anywhere near the coil, that doesn't get proper wicking, and burns.

etorg

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Is bedtime. Will get pic(s) up in morning. Basically, for either single or dual-coil build on the Lemo 2, you can't have any wick sticking out anywhere outside the direct path from the juice channels to the coil(s)...it will just dry out, burn and build up semi-burnt nastyness. Also, make sure no wick goes down into the juice channels, they must be kept open. After building and installing chamber...before installing chimney and still have access to coil/wick from the still-open top of the chamber...use small screwdriver/something to push wick back away from the interior walls of the chamber right at where the juice channels are...to ensure juice flow into the chamber is not disrupted. I'll be back in about 12 hours with some pics. Usually, I twist wick pretty tight so I can get it threaded into the coil. It swells back up when priming with juice. It's best to have coil filled up with wicking as tight as you can.

pdasterly

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have lemo 2 and it was great until i started getting dry cotton taste, harsh hits. Running stock coil so i swapped out cotton but dry cotton taste remains. Rebuilt coil(.5) but still getting dry cotton taste. I trimmed wick and made sure juice holes weren't covered, dry cotton taste. Im going to try some different wicking material as thats the only thing that i havent changed. My subtank mini is kicking the lemo's arse. Vaping same juice and the difference is night and day

etorg

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
the dry cotton taste begins after the wicking that is not in the direct flow from juice channels to the coil get gunked up with un-vaporized/semi-burnt wick/juice...it just stays there collecting more juice residue and makes the tank get hot as hell...is exactly what needs to be cut off

below are pics of a really lame uneven wick example...it's late...but, never need much of a reason to re-wick...I could have left just a tad more length on the wick ends...maybe like draping onto the build deck but not going down into channels. since my coil was made by wrapping nic200 around a 8-32 machine screw I'm going to consider it a rather large diameter coil...to keep airflow, such a coil must not be too close to the air hole...pull it up in a bit giving airflow from atty base good.
DSCN0262.jpg
1 - sometimes a Lemo 2 base will start to separate and begin to leak out the bottom...squeeze with pliers helps a lot, but will leave a mark if not protected somehow.

DSCN0265.JPG
2 - uneven and untrimmed pancake type wick... (.11ohm, nic200, 26g, 10 wraps around 8-32 machine screw)
DSCN0266.JPG
3 - still dry but trimmed wick
DSCN0267.JPG
4 - juiced up wick
DSCN0268.JPG
5 - one side
DSCN0269.JPG
6 - other side...(notice how neither wick goes down into the juice channels) DSCN0270.jpg
7 - screwdriver making sure wick does not cover small juice channel.

Last edited:

pdasterly

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ugh, im almost giving up on this thing, still getting dry cotton tasting vape

etorg

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ugh, im almost giving up on this thing, still getting dry cotton tasting vape

Make sure you are occasionally tipping tank to side to let bubbles come out of juice channels, after a couple/few vapes.

pdasterly

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
rebuilt with the cotton that comes with the lemo. Coil is 0.41ohm according to my ipv d2 @39watts/4volts. Dry cotton taste went away but still getting muted flavor

etorg

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
rebuilt with the cotton that comes with the lemo. Coil is 0.41ohm according to my ipv d2 @39watts/4volts. Dry cotton taste went away but still getting muted flavor

I use Japanese organic cotton from local vape store. Have seen forum comments about taking half tank or so for some wick materials to "break in". Hopefully your muted flavor is not merely wicking that should have been trimmed off. What I experienced, before figuring it out and hence this thread, what you said ...no burnt taste but also muted flavors...until the wicking that was providing the muted flavor got gunked up enough to start giving nasty burnt flavor. Also, close off airflow a bit...a bit restricted airflow can do wonders for flavor production. I've seen it said that any true flavor tank (from old school times...Russian, taifun, etc) will not have any adjustment for airflow at all.

Also, 39 watts might be a bit too much. The Lemo 2 tank should perform just fine around 25-30w.

Last edited:

pdasterly

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
tried with minimal amount of cotton hanging over sides

Attachments

• lemo.jpg
    lemo.jpg
    564.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

etorg

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
tried with minimal amount of cotton hanging over sides

You should straighten out that coil. Get the ends of the wick to hang down directly over the top of the two juice channels. In the top-view photo you posted, I should not be able to see the juice channels. Also, get your coil centered evenly. It might help a bit to trim some more off. I would like to see a side view, so I can see how far down your wick hangs. It should hang down far enough to make contact with the build deck. Just be sure it doesn't block the juice channels. Look at my photos no. 5, 6, and 7 again. My wick is not as bulky as yours...and...my coil is perfectly centered. I use an 8-32 machine screw to wrap my coil. I can leave the coil on the screw all the way until I have both ends secured onto the build deck with both screws, then just unscrew the screw back out of the coil, after I've straightened and centered it.

pdasterly

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
still lost a lot a flavor, rebuilt coil and rewicked, juice channels are open
lemo2_zpsgzoh2rsr.jpg

pdasterly

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i gave up the rta, rolling with swappable coils for now on, I have two subtank mini that both leak.

etorg

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
i gave up the rta, rolling with swappable coils for now on, I have two subtank mini that both leak.
The subtank mini has become an icon of subohm tanks....because of its' performance and simplicity. It uses either pre-built coils, or diy coils with an rba. As with all rta's, if there is not enough wick it can leak. Simply make sure your wick tails are long enough to hang down the entire heigth of the build deck, so they are just long enough to touch down where the juice channels are...just be sure to NOT plug up the juice channels, or you risk dry hits...especially with max-vg juices. I am using as subtank mini (style) as I write this. I say "style" because I assembled it from several different purchases from fasttech. It has a top-fill top that has an unscrewable top exposing two tiny little hopes with red grommets in them. It works great but, Kanger has released a new subtank mini system called a Toptank that has a much nicer top-fill design than what I've put together. I have not used Lemo 2 for months. Now, I rotate use of my subtank mini (style) and a UD Bellus...that I also like a lot. It has a somewhat small build deck for dual coil but, it also doesn't go through juice like there is no tomorrow. Good luck.

etorg

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Sometimes this all seems so complicated. lol
In reality, all "this" really isn't so complicated. It's all the verbiage required (albeit photos included) that can drain cognitive focus. I think our good 'ol us-of-a govt. has a 1,000-page manual describing how to change a lightbulb.
still lost a lot a flavor, rebuilt coil and rewicked, juice channels are open
lemo2_zpsgzoh2rsr.jpg
Cut off some of the wick on the sides of each tail. This could be where the abundance of muted flavor is coming from...as the juice in the wick, not close to the coil, might not be getting hot enough to appropriately extract flavor.

pdasterly

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
sold the lemo on ebay awhile ago, rocking subtank with gclapton gold coils. Going to pickup cltank, kanger claims its leak free

etorg

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
sold the lemo on ebay awhile ago, rocking subtank with gclapton gold coils. Going to pickup cltank, kanger claims its leak free
Hmm. First off: thanks for the heads up on the new Kanger tank, hadn't seen it before. Second: glad to see you say you're "rocking" with the subtank...or, anything for that matter. Third: a vape company saying their tank is leakfree is like proclaiming one's self to be a prophet and that it's going to rain...lol. 4th, 5th, etc...upon looking into the Kanger CL tank I quickly began seeing discussion of current bereaucratic efforts to take control of vaping. ** For me, unless I really, really liked something like the CL tank, I would be looking to spend any money I might spend on devices that the writing on the wall says might become unavailable...ie: staying away from a 2ml tank with funky child lock while not financially supporting ANY efforts that brought about its' development. One will have plenty of time to aquire something like that in the future if wanted. Good luck, ymmv, have a great day.

**https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/4acw3w/kanger_cl_tank/

Last edited:

VU Sponsors